The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #201
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Black Lightning (DC Comics/Greg Berlanti )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Can someone sell me on this show? I'm not a huge DC guy, but I watched the 90s Batman animated series as well as Justice League Unlimited. Is there anything I would recognize in this show? Is Black Lightning's rogue's gallery compelling in and of itself.
If you watched the trailer and your not interested there isn't much I can tell you. Black lightning doesn't have a strong history in comics as a solo act. I would imagine that they will pull from some of the Superman's family rogues. Like Ameritek which is traditionally a Steel Rogue, or Intergang.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #202
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can someone sell me on this show? I'm not a huge DC guy, but I watched the 90s Batman animated series as well as Justice League Unlimited. Is there anything I would recognize in this show? Is Black Lightning's rogue's gallery compelling in and of itself.
if anything they will use most of the villains from his out siders period since that who he inter acted with most as big bads. and that' is his most popular persiod inthe books and animated with brave inthe bold where bat man iteracted with as street kids slighty older the robin and all the bigest stories came from that period. so him being put with two two creating the out siders is must.

they may use his daughter's for a bit. but if you really want him to be effective both metamorpho and katana need to be apart of his life as they are the closest to him and he works best playing off them and they him and him being scientist pyhsic's professor and a meta huiman. he really needs to be on earth 1 so he can interact with the flash he has more connection there. and just one with metropolis. being born there isn't enough especially which he left often have super hero adventures.

Last edited by zenith16; 05-20-2017 at 10:58 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #203
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Quote:
He's practically a C/D-list hero with a lot of leeway when it comes to adapting him. Doesn't really have a rogues gallery. His daughters are the more interesting aspect imo. One daughter went off to join the JSA while the other went off to join The Outsiders.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #204
zenith16
Side-Kick

1:37

Black Lightning (Explained in a Minute) | COMIC BOOK UNIVERSITY

3 months ago 339 views
Hey, guys Professor Bill of Comic Book University and I'm going to explain Black Lightning in about a minute. * Created by Tony ...

Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Enter Outsiders

8 months ago 587 views
Subscribe for more Toonami cartoons and clips.

3:12

Outsiders Save Wildcats Life

• 7 months ago34 views

also with

14:31

Batman and the Outsiders # 05: "Psimon Says"

2 years ag 1,320 views
The Outsiders first appeared in a special insert in the final issue (#200) of The Brave and the Bold in 1983.[2] The team was given ...

source:Comic Book University,Batman The Brave And The Bold Rocks , Toonami Asia& The Comic Book Realm

Last edited by zenith16; 05-20-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #205
zenith16
Side-Kick

here's his own animated series too feathering his kids as well it got alot of views.

DC Nation - Thunder and Lightning ‰"Lightning Under the Weather" (Extended)
3 years ago 1,322,692 views

source: DC Entertainment

Old 05-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #206
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
If you watched the trailer and your not interested there isn't much I can tell you. Black lightning doesn't have a strong history in comics as a solo act. I would imagine that they will pull from some of the Superman's family rogues. Like Ameritek which is traditionally a Steel Rogue, or Intergang.
Yep. I imagine they will borrow some villains from other heroes like Arrow did (mostly Batman villains).

Supergirl is mainly dealing with alien threats and the Superman movies aren't going to be using rogues like Bruno Mannheim and Morgan Edge.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #207
zenith16
Side-Kick

the villain I expect to see are from his out siders period braniac, Dark seid , joker lex and black fire are off the list. they were villain he fough when he was an out sider but it'll be hard to put them in.

the onthe list
Bolt, , Brother Blood << (since Damian darhk is him inthe liveaction verse some time down the road), Brotherhood of Evil, Chang Tzu, Chemo,<<(might not happen) , Deathstroke, Doctor Sivana, Eclipso, Fearsome Five, Felix Faust, Gorilla Grodd <<( possible and more likely ), King Shark, Lady Shiva, Psimon, Sabbac, Saber, Shrapnel, Tattooed Man

Old 05-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #208
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Since they seem to be aiming for a "super powered street level" vibe, I imagine they'll steal a double handful of the more "Spider-man rogue" level DC villains. Which works, since most of them get little attention, anyway.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #209
coluanprime
Side-Kick

Some pretty cool stuff. I'm completely sold now.
https://www.themarysue.com/wanna-kno...atx-the-scoop/

Questions about the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Want to settle a debate? Looking for images? Visit the Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki! The most accurate and comprehensive Marvel Movie and TV show wiki!
coluanprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #210
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
The comics are better than what you would imagine based on the hokeyness of it all. The 70s series had some silly jive talk, but the 90s series was pretty good. He mainly just dealt with neighborhood gangsters and all, but it's one of those things that might rope you in and entertain you a bit. The Year One series is just okay. If done well the show could be like the first two seasons of Arrow without the family drama and love triangle. It could end up being like Luke Cage with a hero that is more straight and narrow and little bit cornier.

I'd say to give it a shot if you liked Luke Cage. If not then just appreciate this good cover that I'm going to post for no reason at all.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #211
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Static Shock Might Make It To The CW’s BLACK LIGHTNING

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #212
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Global Moderator

Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #213
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
lol even the cast here want to be on flash . and they fit perfectly there. They are smart girls .

Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #214
famicommander
Side-Kick

I think it's a formality at this point. There will be a crossover, probably towards the end of this first season just like Supergirl.

They probably just want to establish the show and its characters without the audience constantly wondering about the presence of other heroes like Flash, Green Arrow, Firestorm, Vixen, Constantine, Supergirl, etc.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:55 AM   #215
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

‘Black Panther,’ ‘Luke Cage,’ and the Rise of Black Superheroes on Screen

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #216
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

"

Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #217
Sawyer
High King

Black Lightning Adds James Remar, Damon Gupton as Series Regulars
Quote:
Remar will play Peter Gambi, the oldest friend of Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning (Cress Williams), who serves as father figure and mentor to the masked crime fighter. Gupton plays seasoned lawman Inspector Henderson, a detective who butts heads with Black Lightning at first, but soon finds common ground with the vigilante.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #218
BrazilianBatman
Side-Kick

AWESOME MUSIC IN THE TRAILER:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Vertigo
Raphael Lake
Featuring: Ben Fisher, Aaron Levey and Daniel Ryan Murphy.
Album Indie Soul

VERTIGO LYRICS
Do what you want to me
What have I got to lose
We’re a catastrophe
Both of us black and blue

I gave you everything
You took me to the moon
You were the strength I needed
Why’d it end so soon

Take it day to day
I’m trying
Trying to block the memories
In my head
They said
Pain it comes in waves
So dive in
They weren’t lying
There’s no denying it

[Chorus]
Oh no the vertigo’s coming
Can’t keep me on my feet
God knows I’m trying to be someone
My vision’s failing me

I live like I’m dying tomorrow
God gave me one last chance
To take all the time that I’ve borrowed
And make a new man

Feels like I’m burning out
Wondering why it changed
Wish I could turn around
Put it back in place

All it will take is time
You said it’d heal the wounds
Bring back this life of mine
Cuz it left with you

Take it day to day
I’m trying
Trying to block the memories
In my head
They said
Pain it comes in waves
So dive in
They weren’t lying
There’s no denying it

[Chorus]
Can’t keep me on my feet
My vision’s failing me

And make a new man

Out of the darkness
I knew it will come one day
Leaving me heartless
Lost my direction
I knew that it will come for me
So why try to run?
I knew it will come for me

[Chorus]
Can’t keep me on my feet
My vision’s failing me

And make a new man

Out of the darkness
Leaving me heartless
Lost my direction
I knew that it will come for me
So why try to run?
I knew it will come for me

BrazilianBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #219
zenith16
Side-Kick

Got a video from the panel

Old 07-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #220
coluanprime
Side-Kick

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/22/b...ot-filmed-yet/

This explains why there were scenes set in Jitters and the CCPD crime lab in the trailer...

Questions about the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Want to settle a debate? Looking for images? Visit the Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki! The most accurate and comprehensive Marvel Movie and TV show wiki!
coluanprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #221
Teelie
Side-Kick Extraordinaire

And why a lot of people are going to think this is more connected to the Arrowverse than it is, despite previous comments it will not be (directly at least for now).

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #222
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Global Moderator

Black Lightning casts Tobias Whale

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/10/black-li...-tobias-whale/

Old 08-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #223
NiallC
Side-Kick

Tobias Whale is an obvious choice and I'm glad they went with it. He is easily the sort of villain who can sustain being around for numerous seasons, like Reverse-Flash or Malcolm Merlyn but on an even larger scale. He definitely could be a Kingpin/Lextype of villain who could pull strings even if he gets incarcerated.

But to join the discussion of what heroes should later join the show I have some ideas. I should note that I don't want any heroes outside of BL and his daughters for at least the first two seasons, especially with the first season only being a short season. And when we do get new heroes I don't want them appearing in season long recurring roles like Atom, Wild Dog and Mr Terrific have done. I'd rather have them used more sparingly like Firestorm and Huntress and having a few episodes to actually get to receive a proper story. Now I know everyone is hoping for Static but my two choices would be Blue Devil and Gangbuster.

I'd love for Blue Devil to appear having particularly enjoyed the Black & Blue story arc in DC Comics Presents. Hopefully by the time we get a season 3 the way magic will be presented in the CWverse will hopefully be figured out after poor showings from Darhk and Vixen. I think it'd be nice to explore that area of the universe again and would be funny to see BL's reactions in the same way Diggle does to pretty much anything meta, usually our main heroes are quite experienced and don't react strangely to weird stuff. I also think having a magical hero could be a new, exciting way for them to travel between Earths. Maybe have BL's first crossover to the CWverse be held off till season 3 when Blue Devil on this Earth and Constantine on the main Earth bring the heroes across. The main problem with this would be making the costume look good and not a poor cosplay. Due to the more outlandish nature of magic he would have to be used for only two or three episodes each season so as to not change the overall feel of the show.

My second choice is Gangbuster. Another Metropolis hero who fits in with the gang warfare themes that Black Lightning will feature prominently. It would also be nice to show another diverse hero that could actually add to the story. I'd imagine him as a mentor to Black Lightning when Jefferson first decide to become a vigilante. He moved away after he felt he'd gotten too old and felt that BL was able to do enough on his own. By season 3 the fighting with the 100 would have escalated and after his daughters probably joining the fight I could see Jefferson calling his old mentor for help. Jose could join as the P.E teacher at Jeff's school and be an extra line of defence against the 100 as they threaten the local residents further. It'd be nice to see after two seasons of BL being the mentor BL himself being mentored. He'd be an elderly man so wouldn't be doing superheroics as often so it wouldn't bloat the cast and these shows always benefit from having an older, experience presence. Even their names could be explained with how on the nose they are, explain it was necessary in the days before social media and by being heroes of colour they couldn't afford to give people the wrong idea.

NiallC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #224
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
That works, I hope he's good,in the role.