The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 08-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #751
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Default Re: X-Men - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
I liked Schism, and the post Schism status quo. With M-day and then the collective ****ting on Xavier's character, Cyke's progression was logical. As was Wolverine's, with what was going on in his book. Which reminds, I do need to read Aaron's run someday. Didn't exactly like it, but it wasn't exactly the top of the worst things they've done to his character. (Seriously, what happened with Emma is no where near as bad as what they did to him and Maddie)
I didn't think schism was that strong, especially since it was supposed to create a rift as big as between Magneto and Xavier. I loved Gillen's Uncanny X-men after Schism. I really liked Wolverine and the X-men and the Jean Grey school when the book first came out, but it really lost my attention after a while (I hated the Hellfire brats). It was frustrating to see major X-women like Rogue and Storm and even Emma continued to be sidelined so the books could focus on the two dudes (who basically had a regressive spat over Jean ). Schism also contributed to years of X-men crapping on Cyclops for no reason long after Schism. I guess it had its good and bad.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #752
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Glad Emma x Bobby never materialized. His string of failed relationships contributes nicely to his new status quo :P I'd love for Emma to make an appearance in Iceman's book (I can't wait for the Daken guest appearance btw).
actually, they would have worked out. she did have a thing for bobby and it wouldn't have stopped her from being a biotch to others.

But they would be a funny couple and diamonds are considered to be ice anyway.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #753
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Ice and Diamonds are just too much for me lmao

Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #754
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
I liked Schism, and the post Schism status quo. With M-day and then the collective ****ting on Xavier's character, Cyke's progression was logical. As was Wolverine's, with what was going on in his book. Which reminds, I do need to read Aaron's run someday. Didn't exactly like it, but it wasn't exactly the top of the worst things they've done to his character. (Seriously, what happened with Emma is nowhere near as bad as what they did to him and Maddie)
it had good and bad part's. but that part of it I mentioned is beyond bad or it's reason for it. that was none sense.

I'm speaking for my self on that area. it was. you can't come up with a plan I'm sorry you're making the problem worse with wanting a fist fight when your home about to be blown to bits and people need you at that moment. and have no right to mad. those kids need you to help them live. You either come up with a plan ( He was coming up short) or help take weird slo-mo Giant robot bomb down.

None sensical event. That's what it was. with that moment.

Heck, the Japanese anime my hero academy had the student attacked by villains and they had to fight to live even though the teacher's told not to at first, But they were forced to there no escape ether.

as to the Maddie thing, Nah having what happened at all with Emma still didn't help scott it solidified it for the cray people. that needed a reason. But that's another animal. I don't want to get into that right now. the truth is not ever ether.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #755
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ice and Diamonds are just too much for me lmao
yet they always been apart of each other name wise. lol doin't worry about it too much.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #756
zenith16
Side-Kick

btw the avi I've had the whole time, I've been on the hype and before that on those other forums of them on their date in Gen x.

But i'm ok with how thing's are right now.

Also it would have been interesting that Warren, Scott and Bobby ended up with top class telepathic women. well. Bobby ended up with her in two realitys. and counting the cartoon of wolverine and the X-men even though he was sorta after kitty there emma sort gave him hope of being with her too with flirt. which got kitty mad there.

So there is a thing with them in other realitys.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-11-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:20 AM   #757
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Astonishing's Life of X storyline is without a doubt the best thing to come out of RessurXion. I'm really enjoying every second of it. The imagery is vivid and the writing is quite well done. Gold and Blue pale in comparison. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Old 08-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #758
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Witch View Post
Astonishing's Life of X storyline is without a doubt the best thing to come out of RessurXion. I'm really enjoying every second of it. The imagery is vivid and the writing is quite well done. Gold and Blue pale in comparison. Can't wait to see what happens next!
AXM is clearly the best but I think Blue was quite good this week. With the complains about this book having just one female, Bunn went and firmly planted 3 additions and I especially love that Polaris is now a permanent fixture

Gold? Book is just boring and there is way too much focus on Kitty Pryde and her past relationship with Colossus

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #759
Sithborg
The new ewoks

I am absolutely loving Astonishing. The conversation between the Shadow King and Xavier was great. And I am extremely interested in where this is going.

Also kind of funny to see how Guggenheim and Soule handle too different popular ships.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #760
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Astonishing is great and Soule has a real handle on the character's voices. How do Mystique's powers work in the astral plane, though?
Quote:
Also kind of funny to see how Guggenheim and Soule handle too different popular ships.
And all of Soule's commentary on nostalgia. Felt like shots fired at Gold lol

Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #761
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Astonishing is great and Soule has a real handle on the character's voices. How do Mystique's powers work in the astral plane, though?
Doesnt quite make sense to me.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The only thing I cant think of is her psychic defenses allow her to shield her true appearance. Its interesting to note that none of the characters seem to realize that Psylocke "fixxed" her. I hope Soule realizes that and it comes into play

Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #762
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Well, they implied that Mystique became twins. So, power upgrade?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #763
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Doesnt quite make sense to me.
The only thing I cant think of is her psychic defenses allow her to shield her true appearance. Its interesting to note that none of the characters seem to realize that Psylocke "fixxed" her. I hope Soule realizes that and it comes into play
And didn't her sent give her away to Logan? Is there smell in the astral plane? Was the Mystique/Psylocke stuff something that happened in Uncanny? I didn't read that run.
Quote:
AXM is clearly the best but I think Blue was quite good this week. With the complains about this book having just one female, Bunn went and firmly planted 3 additions and I especially love that Polaris is now a permanent fixture

Gold? Book is just boring and there is way too much focus on Kitty Pryde and her past relationship with Colossus
Blue is really good, even though I find Jean and Emma regressive in it it's still fun to remember their decades old feud. Danger was a real highlight last issue! I'm glad Polaris is sticking around. I don't even know who Briar is though.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 08-17-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #764
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Briar was introduced in Bunn's Magneto book. I need to pick that up.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #765
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
And didn't her sent give her away to Logan? Is there smell in the astral plane? Was the Mystique/Psylocke stuff something that happened in Uncanny? I didn't read that run.
Yeah. Psylocke used here TP to rewrite Mystique's brain. The effect was it left her "good" and trustworthy. It happened here

Quote:
Blue is really good, even though I find Jean and Emma regressive in it it's still fun to remember their decades old feud. Danger was a real highlight last issue! I'm glad Polaris is sticking around. I don't even know who Briar is though.
I dont know Briar either but Bunn is intent on making her happen even though she's a flop. She also appeared in Uncanny X-men and failed to make an impression there as well

Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #766
Sithborg
The new ewoks

He's a character he created. He isn't exactly thrusting her into the spotlight, but he clearly likes to use her. That part really confused me in the last Uncanny book.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #767
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Briar just seems boring. Why should I care about her.

X-men Gold #10 preview:

I thought this started pretty cute and fun, but I cannot stand Guggenheim's Kitty. He tries to make her an "every woman" but also the best at everything with everyone around her doting on her. I hate Kitty and Colossus now, not because I hate the ship but because Kitty can do no wrong. I probably should have dropped the book after Kitty was able to understand binary just by hearing it. He also writes Kitty's leadership a lot like how Cyclops has been classically written. Kitty is one of my favourite characters but making her the leader is not interesting, or Guggenheim is not making her interesting. And I still think Storm should be leading, especially because I don't want her contemporary leadership to be defined by the failure of IvX.

Interestingly enough, I really like the Rachel and Nightcrawler romance. Maybe Guggenheim should limit himself to one romance.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #768
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

So I really don't want to start something here, but reading Astonishing #2 again I couldn't help but notice how much of the dialogue seems like commentary on the current state of comicbooks.

• "Making something new is risky, safer to go with what's familiar. Comfort food. If something works, do it again... until it doesn't."
  • The line about the four dollar tickets being expensive and 'I bet they're barely breaking even'.
  • The characters in the play essentially being 'interchangable'. How distinct is the writing for different comicbook characters?
  • "I could've told you, Farouk. Nosalgia as a tool, has its limits."
Now for the next paragraph... I might be reading way too much into this (and I probably am), but this is pretty much what it looks like to me. The play they visit is pretty much the status quo, a lot of stories that only rely on the past, but are also quite hollow because of that. Now during this story, the characters break free from this status quo and head through these doors into the unknown. They head towards original stories that don't just rely on nostalgia, but also try telling a story that is very good in its own right.
Tl;dr I think that is why Astonishing is so good... it doesn't just rely on the past, on the power of nostalgia, but it actually tries to do something that feels fresh.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #769
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

^ nailed it and all of that definitely elevates the issue to being above average.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #770
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I'm still happy to read anything with Gambit in it.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #771
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Briar just seems boring. Why should I care about her.

X-men Gold #10 preview:

I thought this started pretty cute and fun, but I cannot stand Guggenheim's Kitty. He tries to make her an "every woman" but also the best at everything with everyone around her doting on her. I hate Kitty and Colossus now, not because I hate the ship but because Kitty can do no wrong. I probably should have dropped the book after Kitty was able to understand binary just by hearing it. He also writes Kitty's leadership a lot like how Cyclops has been classically written. Kitty is one of my favourite characters but making her the leader is not interesting, or Guggenheim is not making her interesting. And I still think Storm should be leading, especially because I don't want her contemporary leadership to be defined by the failure of IvX.

Interestingly enough, I really like the Rachel and Nightcrawler romance. Maybe Guggenheim should limit himself to one romance.
Kitty's leadership doesnt feel earned. She spent the last year in space with her bf and was absent during mutantkind's awful ordeal following T-mist crisis. She swoops back in and is made in charge of everything even though she hasnt been around? Okay whatever. Im fine with Storm not leading and wish she wasnt in Gold bc the writing for her is awful there. She really belongs in Astonishing since it feels like a sequel to Claremont's X-treme X-men with a similar cast minus her

I think I would have been fine with Nightcrawler as headmaster of the school

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #772
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Kitty's leadership doesnt feel earned. She spent the last year in space with her bf and was absent during mutantkind's awful ordeal following T-mist crisis. She swoops back in and is made in charge of everything even though she hasnt been around? Okay whatever. Im fine with Storm not leading and wish she wasnt in Gold bc the writing for her is awful there. She really belongs in Astonishing since it feels like a sequel to Claremont's X-treme X-men with a similar cast minus her

I think I would have been fine with Nightcrawler as headmaster of the school
I agree. Kitty as the leader hasn't been built up. Cyclops becoming headmaster was a big deal because it felt like someone finally getting what they've earned. The same would have been true if Jean became the leader like what Morrison was setting her up for. It feels like Kitty is the leader because she's the writer's favourite character. Boring. I could get behind Kitty as leader if she still felt like Kitty, but half the time Guggenheim writes her as a no-nonsense and stern leader.

If the writers want someone not named Cyclops, Emma, Storm, or Jean to lead the school, then why can't they sow the seeds earlier so the stories feel more authentic.

In other news, I actually liked Generations: The Best, despite not being a huge fan of the stabby characters. The art and the colours were stellar.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #773
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree. Kitty as the leader hasn't been built up. Cyclops becoming headmaster was a big deal because it felt like someone finally getting what they've earned. The same would have been true if Jean became the leader like what Morrison was setting her up for. It feels like Kitty is the leader because she's the writer's favourite character. Boring. I could get behind Kitty as leader if she still felt like Kitty, but half the time Guggenheim writes her as a no-nonsense and stern leader.

If the writers want someone not named Cyclops, Emma, Storm, or Jean to lead the school, then why can't they sow the seeds earlier so the stories feel more authentic.

In other news, I actually liked Generations: The Best, despite not being a huge fan of the stabby characters. The art and the colours were stellar.
It made me miss Wolverine, despite being sick of his overexposure and wanting him gone years ago. Im so over OML and Jimmy does nothing for me. I want the original back