The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #376
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 7,445
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Joy's change in personality at the end made no sense to me.
Ward was awesome, but they never figured out what to do with her. She was just irrelevant and problem some

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #377
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 841
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Joy's change in personality at the end made no sense to me.
I concur

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #378
NotNickFury
Side-Kick
 
NotNickFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SHIELD offsite
Posts: 3,089
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

General question since Buck's name comes up a lot...and I guess this could apply to most shows, but in this instance, it's the showrunner in particular who comes up, but when a show does great, for better or worse, who deserves most of the blame or credit? The showrunner or the individual directors and writers of each episode.

Because Scott Buck's name comes up a lot, but he only wrote two episodes and didn't direct any of them. So in that regard, how come none of the other writers and directors behind Iron Fist, from what I can see, don't get the same amount of flack?

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #379
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 48,487
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

I guess the showrunner since they are really like the main guy overseeing the show and like the head writer.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #380
Slick
Yup
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,884
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

I think it's because Buck has final say and he's in charge of shaping the story. Ultimately it's his vision that the writers and directors are following.

__________________
Yup
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #381
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 841
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I think it's because Buck has final say and he's in charge of shaping the story. Ultimately it's his vision that the writers and directors are following.
This sounds Right.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #382
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,219
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
General question since Buck's name comes up a lot...and I guess this could apply to most shows, but in this instance, it's the showrunner in particular who comes up, but when a show does great, for better or worse, who deserves most of the blame or credit? The showrunner or the individual directors and writers of each episode.

Because Scott Buck's name comes up a lot, but he only wrote two episodes and didn't direct any of them. So in that regard, how come none of the other writers and directors behind Iron Fist, from what I can see, don't get the same amount of flack?
Film is a director's medium, TV is a writer's medium. Directors have very little power in TV, unless they are directing the pilot, which creates the tone and aesthetic for a series. Pilot directors are there through the development process with the showrunner to bring the series to life, which is why most pilot directors often get producer credits as well. Otherwise, most TV directors are following a "tone bible" that they stick to for directing episodes. There are exceptions, when directors really make their mark with stylistic choices (like Miguel Sapochnik on Game of Thrones, or Rian Johnson on Breaking Bad), but they are not the general rule.

In TV, the writer is king. And the showrunner is the head writer and executive producer. They may not write many (if any) individual episodes, but all the story decisions and creative choices go through them, and they get the final say on the story's direction, for each episode and the season as a whole. So yes, most of the blame or credit should go to them, as the individual episode writers are following their lead.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #383
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 22,785
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

I think Finn Jones/Danny Rand gets to shine when they let him be kinda goofy. There's a scene of him and Cage in The Defenders while their in the chinese spot where I thought Finn was really good.

They need to allow for more of that with Danny's character. Play up that little kid aspect.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #384
Random490
Side-Kick
 
Random490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Film is a director's medium, TV is a writer's medium. Directors have very little power in TV, unless they are directing the pilot, which creates the tone and aesthetic for a series. Pilot directors are there through the development process with the showrunner to bring the series to life, which is why most pilot directors often get producer credits as well. Otherwise, most TV directors are following a "tone bible" that they stick to for directing episodes. There are exceptions, when directors really make their mark with stylistic choices (like Miguel Sapochnik on Game of Thrones, or Rian Johnson on Breaking Bad), but they are not the general rule.

In TV, the writer is king. And the showrunner is the head writer and executive producer. They may not write many (if any) individual episodes, but all the story decisions and creative choices go through them, and they get the final say on the story's direction, for each episode and the season as a whole. So yes, most of the blame or credit should go to them, as the individual episode writers are following their lead.
Pretty much spot on. Netfilx has a documentary on showrunners that helps you understand what they do.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #385
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 23,123
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I think Finn Jones/Danny Rand gets to shine when they let him be kinda goofy. There's a scene of him and Cage in The Defenders while their in the chinese spot where I thought Finn was really good.

They need to allow for more of that with Danny's character. Play up that little kid aspect.
I agree. I feel like they don't play to Finn Jones' strengths. They make Danny this dark, brooding, overly serious guy, and it doesn't really suit Finn.

__________________
"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #386
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 48,487
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

I agree when Finn Jones is trying to act super serious and is like, "I am the Iron Fist!" it comes off pretty goofy and awkward.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #387
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven
 
Joe Von Zombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the middle of nowhere, AL
Posts: 2,649
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I agree when Finn Jones is trying to act super serious and is like, "I am the Iron Fist!" it comes off pretty goofy and awkward.
That's intentional. Everyone around him thinks it's ridiculous upon meeting him.

__________________
He's called "The Punisher", not " Family Man".

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard

Last edited by Joe Von Zombie; 08-19-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #388
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 48,487
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

It might be intentional, but he tends to repeat it a lot to the point of absurdity. Yet him wearing a costume is too absurd.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #389
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss
 
TheComicbookKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,252
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
That's intentional. Everyone around him thinks it's ridiculous upon meeting him.
Yeah but it's not funny for the right reason.

We ,like the other Defenders, have no idea what he's talking about cause we haven't seen anything relating to his training or life in Kun'Lun.

It's no goofier than saying I'm Duncan McCloud of the clan McCloud the Highlander. Except we have seen what that title means through watching his life unfold.

__________________
Make America Great Again is to 2016
as
The South Shall Rise Again was to 1868
TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #390
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 32,752
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Like Colleen said Danny is still that little kid really so when he tries to act tough it comes across like a little kid trying to sound like a big tough guy.

I agree that Finn is better at playing goofy/awkward rather than serious and somber.

__________________
All aboard the Pork Chop Express!
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #391
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven
 
Joe Von Zombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the middle of nowhere, AL
Posts: 2,649
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Yeah but it's not funny for the right reason.

We ,like the other Defenders, have no idea what he's talking about cause we haven't seen anything relating to his training or life in Kun'Lun.

It's no goofier than saying I'm Duncan McCloud of the clan McCloud the Highlander. Except we have seen what that title means through watching his life unfold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It might be intentional, but he tends to repeat it a lot to the point of absurdity. Yet him wearing a costume is too absurd.
These are fair points, but I don't think the performance or the actor is the issue, its the material that's been written for him. I get what they're trying to do with Danny, but on the other hand, he's standing next to Daredevil, who I personally feel is the best adapted character in the MCU to date so I can totally understand why this Iron Fist feels out of place.

__________________
He's called "The Punisher", not " Family Man".

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #392
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 841
Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

I kinda tried not to hark too much on him since everyone has been for 5 months, but seriously who else auditioned for the role of Danny? It makes no sense for your lead to be out-acted by everyone in his own show.

Everytime he mentions Kun Lun I cringe.

I really can't imagine season 2. it needs to be retconned big time.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.