The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Luke Cage

Old 08-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #1
BarryAllen
ey b0ss

Default Theo Rossi is Shades

Quote:
Theo Rossi (“Sons of Anarchy,” “Bad Hurt”) has joined the cast as Shades, a ruthless criminal with ties to Cage’s mysterious past.

"Theo Rossi is a swiss army knife--no matter what you bring to him, he has a tool for it--and he’s playfully unpredictable,” said series Executive Producer and Showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker. “His Shades will be someone you hate to love.”
Very interested in how the show portrays Shades, particularily with them stressing his manipulative and calculating demeanor and importance to Cage's past, as well as connections to Cottonmouth. Shades seems like he might be a big player in this world (and hopefully Comanche pops up as well).

Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
BarryAllen
ey b0ss

Default Re: Theo Rossi is Shades

I'm reposting this from an earlier discussion in the general thread:

Jeph Loeb made some interesting comments about him in this Collider interview (http://collider.com/comic-con-2016-l...view-marvel/):

Quote:
Jeph, how would you describe Shades and his role in Luke Cage’s story?

LOEB: The responsibility that we have, in telling the story of Luke Cage, is enormous. We’re talking about, for all intents and purposes, the first black superhero from the streets. We’re talking about a character who, in the early ‘70s, came out and really spoke to an audience in a way that no one had ever done before. In many ways, it woke up a young Cheo Coker, who suddenly could relate in a way that had been very different. Being able to take that responsibility on, particularly now with what’s going on in our world, is something that we take very seriously. When we started talking about what that show was going to be and who the characters were going to be, the first character that everybody asked us was, “What are you going to do about Shades?,” because he is so important to Luke’s origin and to the way that the world grew out of these two characters. When Theo walked in, there was a confidence there that we immediately were drawn to. If you’ve got Mike Colter playing Luke Cage, you’re going to have a larger life presence. You’re going to have somebody who brings with him that superhero quality, not just as a superhero, but as a person and as a personality. And so, what was great about Theo’s take on it was that you could see two people standing on equal footing.

What drives him, as a character?

LOEB: We talked a lot about how there’s a game of chess that’s being played. There’s a game of power that’s being played. What Shades is, in many ways, is an opportunist. He’s someone who’s looking for what the next game is that he’s playing, who the next player is that he’s playing, what the next level is, and how he’s getting there. If that means he has to change allegiances, in order to better himself, than maybe that’s what he’ll do. If he can find a way to make the Luke Cage thing work for him, he’ll see how that plays. If he has to figure out how to make Luke Cage go away, in order to make things work, than that works on that particular day.
Particularily the bolded part stands out to me. The first character you ask what to do with and consider crucial to Cage's origin is Shades? Even above Willis Stryker?

I think Shades might be playing a bigger role in this series than most of us thought outside of being Cottonmouth's goon. They've been describing him as a opportunist and strategist, so I'm thinking while he's working with Cottonmouth, he'll be planning, observing and try and seize Cottonmouth's assets while there's a power void when Cottonmouth and Cage come into conflict. This lines up with this IGN interview with Theo Rossi:

https://youtu.be/Z3UmFu8dTOY?t=1m53s

Rossi mentions how Shades is always "moving chesspieces around in his head", while interestingly enough stating that Cottonmouth and Shades grew up together, which could either be:
  1. true
  2. possibly a mistatement about Shades and Cage growing up together as part of the Rivals gang, which lines up with the previous info we've gotten of Shades having "ties to Cage's mysterious past" and a "history with Luke Cage"
  3. a combination of both with Shades having grown up with Cottonmouth and the "ties to Cage's mysterious past" from the casting announcement only referring to Cage meeting him and Comanche while locked up in Seagate Prison, ignoring the Rivals gang connection between the two of them (while still keeping that between Cage and Stryker)

He also says that while Cottonmouth and Shades respect each other, "everyone wants the top spot". Other interviews have also mentioned Shades as being the Machiavellian character on the show (and comparing him to Game of Thrones's Littlefinger).

This makes me think Shades might end up coming out on top after Cage combats Cottonmouth and Black Mariah's schemes, possibly setting him up to a major player (possibly even a big bad for Season 2?).

Old 10-01-2016, 03:40 AM   #3
Slick
Yup

Theo Rossi did a great job as Shades

Old 10-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yep, very good. He was very compelling, so I'm glad he survived.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
Darepool
Banned User

Theo was great. One of the most tense moments in the season for me was when he was being strangled in the freight elevator. Really happy he'll be back.

Darepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:46 AM   #6
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

The Gangster consultant

Old 10-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
eon001
Side-Kick

Hated him on Sons of Anarchy and dreaded his performance in this, but I was pleasantly surprised. Had a creepy little finger vibe about him. Not overly intimidating but calculated and sinister.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
Speed Force
There was an idea...

He might have been my favorite of all the villains in this season...other than Turk Barrett of course.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Hopefully Shades pops up elsewhere

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
Pokkle
Side-Kick

He was great.

Looking forward for him in the future.

Pokkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

I'd love for Shades to somehow end up working with Fisk

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #11
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Shades was awesome. I have a soft spot for street-savvy, smooth-talking dragons that could weasel their way out of a pinch. I was ready to get really mad when it looked like he was going to get taken out like a cheap hood, but I should've known better than to doubt the tenacity of my man. I love the dynamic he had with Mariah.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:07 AM   #12
Rick the Ruler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
I'd love for Shades to somehow end up working with Fisk
That would be pretty interesting. And menacing.

Rick the Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
Sundancer
Cynicist

Law. Yer.

Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
Elayis
Side-Kick

Theo Rossi just isn't a good actor. He was tolerable on SoA because his part was small and he was supposed to be young and green anyways, but he's just not talented enough to pull off being a badass. He tried much too hard to appear cool, reminded me a lot of Jared Leto's Joker. Just not intimidating at all.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #15
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

He's awesome, easily the best villain this season, and the most charismatic actor through and through.

YOUTUBE
It will come, be sure of that

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #16
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Really liked him. He was a slimeball, but he was wise and knew when to act and when to hold back. I hope to see him team up with Fisk or somebody. And then hopefully get thrown in jail, especially after what he did in the last episode.

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #17
Guard82
Side-Kick

Shades was excellent in this show, a great villain and an intriguing character overall. Theo Rossi brought a lot of gravitas and intelligence to the character with his great performances, and the writing was good too. Shades reminded me of many devious Shakespearean characters such as Richard III and Iago. He was smart, careful, calculating, and silver-tongued, and could also be quite brutal when he wanted to be. Overall, a terrific performance.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
the last son
Side-Kick

What was so great about him? Came off so cheesy. Anytime he had no good dialogue he just takes his glasses off. I can't believe people are saying he's a better villain than cottonmouth. What?

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #19
Manowar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
What was so great about him? Came off so cheesy. Anytime he had no good dialogue he just takes his glasses off. I can't believe people are saying he's a better villain than cottonmouth. What?
100% agree. I like Theo but he acted exactly like he did as "Juice" from Sons of Anarchy. It was like seeing the same character.

Cottonmouth was great!

Manowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #20
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Anyone think that Shades could eventually become the Profiler?