The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead

Old 12-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #101
james-in-cali
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 8 Episode 8 "How It's Gotta Be" Discussion Thread

I am calling it right now.... Carl will not be dead next half season. He will be "alive" every episode until the season finale. Also I don't put it past the writers to just forget about it for awhile and not even being it up until the 6th episode next year.

james-in-cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #102
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

The trailer for the second half shows Rick beside a grave. I don't think they're going to stretch it out past the first episode.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #103
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Either one of those two things could happen with this show.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #104
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Entertainment Weekly: You’re creating lots of story by doing this to Carl, but you’re also sacrificing lots of story from the comic book in terms of things coming up there with a very much alive Carl. How much did that factor into the decision and how bummed are you as a fan of the comic book that you won’t get to explore that, at least not in that way?

GIMPLE: That was a big struggle about it. It’s a difficult aspect of it but you still want to tell those stories from the comic, and we will. We have seen major stories from characters in the comic go to different characters on the television show. We’re committed to keep telling the story from the comic book. Yes, it’s going to be different. But, as usual, we do plan on telling those comic stories. It just will have to be with different people and it’s a different way to tell those same stories. But we hope to still fulfill what those stories do.

Man in the Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #105
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Anyone else of the opinion that this was one of the darkest episodes of the entire series?

Like literally DARK. If I watched this again, I'd probably have to crank up my brightness settings because it was hard to make out what was happening at times.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #106
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Maybe they want to save money on lighting.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #107
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Anyone else of the opinion that this was one of the darkest episodes of the entire series?

Like literally DARK. If I watched this again, I'd probably have to crank up my brightness settings because it was hard to make out what was happening at times.
I think you'd find that's the consensus.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #108
KevTravels
Side-Kick

I can't see Andrew walking away. $500 K an episode this season.

But it does look like the show needs major changes. Fear The Walking Dead has turned around and it's actually pretty watchable now and I'm eager for season 4 whereas TWD seems to just be burying itself.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #109
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

My hot take: I don’t think they are going to go through with killing off Carl. I think this is Glenn 2.0. In fact, I believe all of the behind the scenes drama being publicly reported is smoke and mirrors. I think with doctor coming back with Gabriel, and Judith being his sibling, they will pull some ******** like she is a viable donor for a blood transfusion and the doctor will realize that, as many have speculated, she is immune (or some such nonsense). It’s sounds aburd and soap opera-y. But that’s TWD in a nut shell these days.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #110
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

Nope. No immunity, no blood transfusion. Carl is going to die. As I've mentioned in a previous post, the trailer for the second half of the season literally shows us Rick beside a grave. Plus, Gimple and Riggs have confirmed it. There's smoke and mirrors, and then there's out right lying to the audience.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #111
Panacea
Side-Kick

I spend too much time during TWD episodes saying "just ****ing shoot them" to the monitor. There is absolutely no reason why Maggies crew couldn't have opened up on those Saviours that rolled up beside them. They didn't because the plot demanded it, just like the plot demanded that all those assault rifle bullets missed Negan when he was out in the open.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #112
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Nope. No immunity, no blood transfusion. Carl is going to die. As I've mentioned in a previous post, the trailer for the second half of the season literally shows us Rick beside a grave. Plus, Gimple and Riggs have confirmed it. There's smoke and mirrors, and then there's out right lying to the audience.
We'll see. I wouldn't put it past these writers to lie to their audience. Not after Glenn's fake death and the cliff hanger with Negan. Further, Rick standing next to a grave proves nothing. Hell, Maggie just dug a grave in the last episode. Its not as if graves and dead people are in short supply in The Walking Dead-verse. As for the rest, we'll see. Carl was in the flash forward. Are we to accept that was a dream? Seems odd to me that a dream would be used so heavily in the promotional material for the season (Old Man Rick was basically the hook for the season leading up to it, right up to the Comic Con footage). For that to be a dream or fantasy or whatever is...at best...bad story telling. As such, I am inclined to think there is more at play here.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #113
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

I don't think Rick is kneeling beside some random grave.

Yes, I think we have to assume Rick was just dreaming. Could have been misdirection to get the audience to think all would be well for Rick in the future. And yes, it would be bad writing, but...we are talking about the Walking Dead, here.

Plus, Carl was clearly starting to feel the effects of the walker bite.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #114
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I don't think Rick is kneeling beside some random grave.

Yes, I think we have to assume Rick was just dreaming. Could have been misdirection to get the audience to think all would be well for Rick in the future. And yes, it would be bad writing, but...we are talking about the Walking Dead, here.

Plus, Carl was clearly starting to feel the effects of the walker bite.
Well, when I said there are lots of graves, I simply meant to illustrate it could've been just about anyone, possibly someone who hasn't yet died (Michonne, for example), not so much to suggest Rick was crying next to a red shirt's grave.

Though at the end of the day, I fully admit, you're probably right. Carl is probably a goner. But I can't shake the feeling that it is a misdirect. The stars just seem to be aligning perfectly for a bait and switch, what with the doctor (aka a convenient plot device who is needed at this exact moment) on his way back to the group, the long running theory that babies conceived once everyone was infected would be immune, the Old Man Rick sequence having the importance it did in the marketing (I would be more inclined to think it was simply bad writing if it wasn't so instrumental in marketing this season) and the fact that this would represent the most drastic change from the comics we have ever seen...I just feel like something is amiss here.

Hell, if its not a misdirect, why not just kill off Carl on the finale? Having him bitten is not a cliffhanger, at least not on the surface as everyone knows a walker bite is a death sentence. The finale had plenty of fat to trim so it could add in any final scenes needed with Carl for closure. And his death would've been far more of a water cooler moment than just a bite reveal. Structurally and from a story perspective, there was no reason for the finale to end with Carl alive. Unless there is something yet to happen. And if there isn't something major to happen with it, its, again, bad storytelling as it means your post-midseason hiatus episode, which should be putting the best foot forward, is instead going to be a filler episode that just consists of killing time until a foregone conclusion that was telegraphed in the midseason finale happens and Carl dies.

I am probably wrong though, I admit that. I just think there is a greater than zero percent chance that this turns out to be a misdirect. And perhaps that is the saddest statement of all about the state of the show and credibility of the writers. The fact that this is that it is within the realm of possibility, that these writers would flip the one rule in this universe (bite = death) on its head just for the sake of a cheap fakeout death to get people talking, speaks volumes. Its telling that this feels exactly like the kind of cheap and tired trick that these writers would pull as they are halfway through season 8, seeing a decline in viewership over the past two years, and trying desperately to stay relevant.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #115
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, when I said there are lots of graves, I simply meant to illustrate it could've been just about anyone, possibly someone who hasn't yet died (Michonne, for example).
Well...

I think it's just wishful thinking. It would be a massive twist if all of the behind the scenes stuff was just a misdirect, but I don't think the show would either do that, or be capable of doing that. And I think doing that would be an even bigger mistake than killing off Carl. It would probably be the final blow for this series. That would be Glen & his dumpster x 10.

So, why have Carl be bitten as opposed to just having Negan, or a Savior kill him? Well, Scott Gimple wants to keep Negan around. The problem is, it would be inconsistent for Rick to suddenly decide not want to kill him. And according to Gimple, this was the way to change Rick's mind. Since Carl wasn't killed as a result of the war with the Saviors, but from a walker bite, I think this is supposed to be the wake up call for Rick to end the war with Negan. That this will remind him that humanity has bigger problems than fighting with each other. And Rick will presumably remember his talk on mercy with Carl, or, it will be Carl's last words to him.

Again, I can't disagree with you that this is poor writing. I certainly would have killed off Carl. But I do think he's dead. We'll see in March (I think?).

Old 12-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #116
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, when I said there are lots of graves, I simply meant to illustrate it could've been just about anyone, possibly someone who hasn't yet died (Michonne, for example), not so much to suggest Rick was crying next to a red shirt's grave.

Though at the end of the day, I fully admit, you're probably right. Carl is probably a goner. But I can't shake the feeling that it is a misdirect. The stars just seem to be aligning perfectly for a bait and switch, what with the doctor (aka a convenient plot device who is needed at this exact moment) on his way back to the group, the long running theory that babies conceived once everyone was infected would be immune, the Old Man Rick sequence having the importance it did in the marketing (I would be more inclined to think it was simply bad writing if it wasn't so instrumental in marketing this season) and the fact that this would represent the most drastic change from the comics we have ever seen...I just feel like something is amiss here.

Hell, if its not a misdirect, why not just kill off Carl on the finale? Having him bitten is not a cliffhanger, at least not on the surface as everyone knows a walker bite is a death sentence. The finale had plenty of fat to trim so it could add in any final scenes needed with Carl for closure. And his death would've been far more of a water cooler moment than just a bite reveal. Structurally and from a story perspective, there was no reason for the finale to end with Carl alive. Unless there is something yet to happen. And if there isn't something major to happen with it, its, again, bad storytelling as it means your post-midseason hiatus episode, which should be putting the best foot forward, is instead going to be a filler episode that just consists of killing time until a foregone conclusion that was telegraphed in the midseason finale happens and Carl dies.

I am probably wrong though, I admit that. I just think there is a greater than zero percent chance that this turns out to be a misdirect. And perhaps that is the saddest statement of all about the state of the show and credibility of the writers. The fact that this is that it is within the realm of possibility, that these writers would flip the one rule in this universe (bite = death) on its head just for the sake of a cheap fakeout death to get people talking, speaks volumes. Its telling that this feels exactly like the kind of cheap and tired trick that these writers would pull as they are halfway through season 8, seeing a decline in viewership over the past two years, and trying desperately to stay relevant.
You do understand that the current group of writers aren't exactly the best, right?

I also doubt Rigg's father's reaction is part of some smokescreen to hide the fakeout.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #117
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-in-cali View Post
I am calling it right now.... Carl will not be dead next half season. He will be "alive" every episode until the season finale. Also I don't put it past the writers to just forget about it for awhile and not even being it up until the 6th episode next year.
Like how Maggie's been pregnant for the longest but doesnt even have so much as a baby bump lol. Sometimes i wonder if this show is even still trying.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #118
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

It's tricky with the timeline, since even though years have passed for the audience, it's only been a matter of a month or so for the characters.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #119
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

By the end of Season 6 Maggie was a little over two months pregnant. Season 7 was centered around 19 days. I read somewhere Season 8 began 3 days later after the Season 7 ended. While episodes 8.1-8.8 take place between two days. So Maggie is about 3 months pregnant. She did mentioned in the Season 8 premiere to Rick, Ezekiel, Gabriel and Paul that she was nearing her first trimester.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:51 AM   #120
tzarinna
С новым годом!

SMDH. Fix it Jesus.