The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #26
eon001
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 5x20 "The One Who Will Save Us All" Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

How can they possibly do that?

Unless between the snap and Avengers 4 a year or at least several months have elapsed, then you can't really set an entire season that takes place during that time.

If it is only a relatively short time that Avengers 4 is occurring after Infinity War, possibly even within the next few days or even hours, then what kind of season 6 for AOS can there be?

With AOS, the season usually takes place as if it's set over months. I don't see them pulling a How I Met Your Mother season 9 and setting nearly the entire thing over the course of a weekend.

Otherwise how many stories can you really have for AOS season 6 if it's in a short time span?

It's difficult to set anything between Infinity War and Avengers 4. And it's also difficult to set anything after because that will immediately raise the question about what happened to restore the universe and how Thanos was defeated.

And you can't really set AOS before season 5 either, because they were kidnapped immediately after season 4, so when is there any space of time?

And they're unlikely to set it between season 1, 2 or 3 because that would be undoing all the development they've given the cast.

Daisy would go back to being Skye. Or Ward may go back to being undiscovered as Hydra. FitzSimmons would not even have admitted their feelings.

They're kind of screwed.

And that looks like a spoiler in your post above just after "Sokovia accords"
My bad, I should have explined myself better. As Marvolo said, there is supposed to be a 5 year time jump in between Infinity War and Avengers 4.

If AoS get another season, they could have a full 22 episodes by Autumn/Winter and it could detail how the.. team are coping with half the planet AWOL

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #27
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 5x20 "The One Who Will Save Us All" Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
I've been saying this for weeks. The synergy between the Marvel tv shows and the movies have been choppy at best. Just let it go.

I love how it's always the Russo's that just turn things upside down.

Hydras Shield infiltration
Sakovia accords
Half the universe disappearing.

The Thanos reference felt so clumsy and forced. AoS writers must be pulling there hair out.
I'm guessing there scrambling to write some scenes for the finale that have half the cast disappear.
And if:

Avengers 4 reverses the fingersnap so it never happened

Then Agents of SHIELD would have been smart not referencing it. That's why the talk about next season being between Avengers 3 and 4 if there's a five year gap between the films gives me genuine concern. I don't think that's necessarily the greatest idea. If next season is in between and then the movies hit a giant reset button that resets everything to the middle of Avengers 3, erasing the fingersnap and all that, where does that leave the show? How would they address that without erasing an entire season?

Anyway, all this talk about Infinity War has overshadowed Talbot as Graviton. I was really enjoying him here. I like that his paranoia isn't entirely without logic. His trust of SHIELD is actually a bit too easy this season when, in reality, they've had problems getting along since the beginning. I also love the comics-accurate look and the comics-level power here (minus the absorption thing). It's also a good way to tie all things together - something promised from the beginning paying off here. It's just a shame that Blizzard couldn't be here as well.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
And if:

Then Agents of SHIELD would have been smart not referencing it. That's why the talk about next season being between Avengers 3 and 4 if there's a five year gap between the films gives me genuine concern. I don't think that's necessarily the greatest idea. If next season is in between and then the movies hit a giant reset button that resets everything to the middle of Avengers 3, erasing the fingersnap and all that, where does that leave the show? How would they address that without erasing an entire season?
It's such a clusterf*** it supports my idea to just throw it in another universe but whatever.

They could do some kind of anthology flashback season if it gets renewed. There's no way of second guessing what Avengers 4 is going to be about and how it will effect AoS.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #29
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
And if:

Anyway, all this talk about Infinity War has overshadowed Talbot as Graviton. I was really enjoying him here. I like that his paranoia isn't entirely without logic. His trust of SHIELD is actually a bit too easy this season when, in reality, they've had problems getting along since the beginning. I also love the comics-accurate look and the comics-level power here (minus the absorption thing). It's also a good way to tie all things together - something promised from the beginning paying off here. It's just a shame that Blizzard couldn't be here as well.
If they undo the entire season 6 of AOS, then it has to have a season cliffhanger of finding Daisy in the shower!

(That's a reference to Dallas for all those who don't understand it).

Quote:
It's such a clusterf*** it supports my idea to just throw it in another universe but whatever.

They could do some kind of anthology flashback season if it gets renewed. There's no way of second guessing what Avengers 4 is going to be about and how it will effect AoS.
Splitting off might be their only option.

That's exactly what Knots Landing had to do with Dallas with regard to the above reference. Knots Landing was a spin-off of Dallas. Dallas undid an entire season just to bring Bobby Ewing back to life (because of sagging ratings) and it was written off as a dream. The classic scene was Pamela Ewing waking up and finding Bobby Ewing in the shower. That's the moment the show jumped the shark.

But Knots Landing had already acknowledged his death and had moved on and characters developed on their own show. They didn't want to be forced to have to undo their own season and all of the storylines they had planned. So they had no choice but to break away and to never reference Dallas ever again.

Then of course, the timelines reconverged decades later when Knots Landing characters made guest appearances in the Dallas reboot and they interacted with Bobby Ewing, never mentioning anything about his death or how their own timeline had progressed as a result.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 05-06-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #30
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think we need to go one step at a time, since we have to see if Agents of SHIELD will get renewed. That being said, I still stand by my belief that they'll be fine if they just don't address the issue at all.

Obviously, if my theory is wrong, then they might have to scramble, but they can deal with that two years from now.

The Netflix shows have this issue to a degree, but they can always just say it's set before Infinity War without too many problems.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #31
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

The Netflix shows probably all take place before Civil War.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #32
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Jessica Jones Season Two probably takes place after Civil War given what we saw.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #33
nypinta
Certified Delightfut

TBH, unless they do something to make most of the cast likable again, I'm not sure I care that much if they get a S6. And maybe doing a season post
snap, and all that it entails, meaning half the Earth's population gone
might give the rest some perspective. Maybe Fitz pulls something crazy and thinking they aren't going to stop GraviTalbot (or whatever we're calling him) and he puts everyone back in a different Framework so while post IW stuff is happening, they're living in something different and so they all remember everything when it gets .... whatever they do in Avengers 4. Or just go for it and give us a season of the consequence of IW. I won't care much if it's reset if it's good while it's happening. But I'm not sure how else they are going to come back from the fractures they've created in the team.

nypinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #34
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
If they undo the entire season 6 of AOS, then it has to have a season cliffhanger of finding Daisy in the shower!

(That's a reference to Dallas for all those who don't understand it).

Splitting off might be their only option.

That's exactly what Knots Landing had to do with Dallas with regard to the above reference. Knots Landing was a spin-off of Dallas. Dallas undid an entire season just to bring Bobby Ewing back to life (because of sagging ratings) and it was written off as a dream. The classic scene was Pamela Ewing waking up and finding Bobby Ewing in the shower. That's the moment the show jumped the shark.

But Knots Landing had already acknowledged his death and had moved on and characters developed on their own show. They didn't want to be forced to have to undo their own season and all of the storylines they had planned. So they had no choice but to break away and to never reference Dallas ever again.

Then of course, the timelines reconverged decades later when Knots Landing characters made guest appearances in the Dallas reboot and they interacted with Bobby Ewing, never mentioning anything about his death or how their own timeline had progressed as a result.
Hehe I'm just old enough to remember Dallas, but I was too young to fully understand wtf had happened to Bobby.

Technically they've already kinda split off universe's by the whole destroyer of worlds time line. That time line is a fully realized universe. With Flint, Tess, etc. We can't ignore the fact that Deke has brought up the multiverse time travel theory at least twice this season. Until the show runners officially dismiss that idea I'm going to assume that universe still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
The Netflix shows probably all take place before Civil War.
Love that idea. They could have multiple seasons of all the Netflix shows set before Infinity War. I hope they officially acknowledge that its set in the past. They will have the freedom to whatever they want without dealing with the "snap" Thanos baggage. I don't want another Netflix show where they reference yet another "Incident" in New York.

To me it's what made The Punisher so perfect. Not a singe mention of any MCU characters or events. I'd like to see some crossovers eventually but they don't have to force anything now

Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
Heretic
Side-Kick

Jessica Jones season 2 absolutely takes place post-Civil War.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #36
scarlet-witch
Hands off.

After the last few episodes, I really hope season 6 is their last. If this show addressed Thanos, I wouldn't put it past everyone
but Daisy Sue disappearing. It's so frustrating to see one character being treated as more important than the others. These last few episodes have been borderline awful.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #37
terry78
I don't die, fool

The fact that it was moved to Friday already says it's more of a "we're obligated" thing for ABC.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #38
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I don't see what the big deal is with undoing a season. If it's an enjoyable season, then you can just think of it as a stand alone season. Heck, if some of these time travel theories are true, a lot more could be reset than just one season.

Plus, I'd love to know about the immediate effects of the Snapture rather than just several years down the road.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #39
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is with undoing a season. If it's an enjoyable season, then you can just think of it as a stand alone season. Heck, if some of these time travel theories are true, a lot more could be reset than just one season.

Plus, I'd love to know about the immediate effects of the Snapture rather than just several years down the road.
Yea I agree.

I mean there technically undoing a whole freaking movie if they reverse the snap in Avengers 4 anyway. You could argue that the first half of this season was "undone" when they went back in time to change the future. No big deal imo.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #40
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Must say, loved this episode and enjoying the show right now overall. Some minor nitpicks for the season overall, but I would say overall this is so far my 2nd favorite season overall to this point. I cannot wait to see how the finale goes given the massive name drop this episode, LOL!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #41
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post

I think the idea is that if a character has developed and progressed as a person, then undoing that resets then back to what they were before. So if someone wasn't particularly likeable or had some trait they only overcame later, then if you undo all of that, as the viewer you've got to sit through all of that again.

For example, Daisy has grown as a character from how she was in Season 1. If she is reset back to her Skye days, then viewers have to suffer through all of that again.

Now of course, that is a much bigger reset than undoing one season. But I'll give the following example as a more specific one.

In "Dallas", which is the classic example of undoing a season and all the character development by making it all a dream, JR Ewing had progressed beyond simply being evil for evil's sake. He had grown as a character. His ex-wife Sue Ellen was an alcoholic before and they were at odds with each other. However, during the "dream" season she put her life back together again and JR began to respect her and even see what made him first fall in love with her.

JR broke off an affair he was having to be back with his wife again. Other characters grew too in other ways.

Now when they undid all of that, suddenly in the next episode after the reset, Sue Ellen was back to being an alcoholic again. JR was still having his affair and they were still at odds. It was tedious enough having to see Sue Ellen's recovery the first time round, but now having to sit through all of that again was unbearable. That's when it did jump the shark and lost viewers.

People felt like they had wasted their time the past year, and that all that character development meant nothing. They didn't want to be watching plot lines from a year ago which had already been wrapped up.

Quote:
Yea I agree.

I mean there technically undoing a whole freaking movie if they reverse the snap in Avengers 4 anyway. You could argue that the first half of this season was "undone" when they went back in time to change the future. No big deal imo.
They haven't really undone the first half of this season in the same sense. They've simply gone back in time to an earlier point in history chronologically. But their character development has progressed from where they were in the first half of the season. They're also still conscious of what happened earlier in the season.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #42
Uskok
MCU fan

Quote:
The absorption thing reminded me of Whitney Frost's Darkforce powers in Agent Carter.

Robert Gonzales
Uskok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #43
KingCheops
Side-Kick

It's possible that the Russo's told AoS what's going to happen. Just ignore the movies for the most part and proceed as normal.

I like my theory in the main spoiler thread mostly because it pissed my wife off so much when I mentioned it to her lol.

KingCheops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #44
Flash525
Side-Kick

Knowing what goes down during Infinity War, and now with the connection between the show, there really needs to be disappearing acts within the SHIELD team here.

Nobody actually knows how long Thanos' attack on Earth lasts for; whether it's days, weeks, or (unlikely, but not impossibly) months. AoS could utilize at least half a season with half the cast gone (to dust); them instead doing their own bit (maybe in a cosmic sense) to try and help restore the universe.

That is, unless, as already stated, they finally do fracture timelines and the show splits from the MCU for good.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 05-08-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Flash525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #45
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

^ You have spoilers in your post.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:27 AM   #46
eddy
Make Mine Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
So if they play it like the end of Infinity War, who turns into dust and disappears?
My money is on

Daisy, Mack, and Fitz although the latter wouldn't make sense as he has to live to father Zeke and maybe separating Fitz-Simmons is played out?

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote