The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Default 'Dark Nights: Metal' reading order question

First time reading this, having just started Dark Days: The Road to Metal (which collects Dark Days: The Forge #1, Dark Days: The Casting #1, Final Crisis #6-7, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1, Batman #38-39, Nightwing #17, and stories from Detective Comics #950).

According to Wikipedia the other collected editions are,

Dark Nights: Metal Deluxe Edition Hardcover (Collects Dark Nights: Metal #1-6)

Dark Nights: Metal: The Nightmare Batmen (Collects Batman: The Red Death #1, Batman: The Devestator #1, Batman: The Merciless #1, Batman: The Murder Machine #1, Batman: The Drowned #1, Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1, The Batman Who Laughs #1 and Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt #1)

Dark Nights: Metal - The Resistance (Collects Teen Titans #12, Nightwing #29, Suicide Squad #26, Green Arrow #32, The Flash #33, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #32, Justice League #32-33, Batman: Lost #1, Hawkman: Found #1)

Thing is I've seen quite a bit of debate online about the reading order, with some fans saying just read the collections as they are and others saying that you need to jump about a bit between volumes for it to make chronological sense.

Does anybody here have any advice one way or the other?

Thanks.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Default Re: 'Dark Nights: Metal' reading order question

Is the Road to Metal trade necessary?

MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Can't really tell at the moment! I'm enjoying it though. Snyder certainly loves to retcon/reimagine DC history.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I read all trades and tie ins, and still was pretty confused. Lol. That’s why I find the question “is ______ necessary?” a tough question.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Okay, thanks!

Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
I read all trades and tie ins, and still was pretty confused. Lol. That’s why I find the question “is ______ necessary?” a tough question.
Interesting.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
Old 06-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Any updates Milk Tray Guy?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
Any updates Milk Tray Guy?
I bought the three remaining trades today! I think I'll just read them book by book. But if it doesn't make sense I may have to rethink that. Either way once I'm done I'll post back as to what seemed the best way

Old 06-30-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
I bought the three remaining trades today! I think I'll just read them book by book. But if it doesn't make sense I may have to rethink that. Either way once I'm done I'll post back as to what seemed the best way
Awesome! Thanks!

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
Old 07-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Update:

Okay, half-way through. I read Dark Days: The Road to Metal and I've just finished Dark Nights: Metal which is the core series. No real problems so far, although once or twice DNM does seem to make a bit of a leap in its storytelling. Hopefully that'll be clarified in the other two volumes.

Next up is Dark Nights: Metal: Dark Knights Rising (which is shown on Wikipedia as being titled Dark Nights: Metal: The Nightmare Batmen; they must have had a rethink about that, as I've checked and the content/ISBN are identical.)