The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Luke Cage

Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #51
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

Default Re: Simone Missick as Misty Knight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSir View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Misty showing up in her classic outfit at the end, even though it was pretty brief. She looked hot, I thought she totally pulled it off. Hope she dresses like that for Defenders at least once.

I was just assuming they weren't going to go that way and then when she showed up in classic style at the end I realized we'd never seen her out of her work clothes.
My dude, she looked perfect at the ending.

BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #52
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Cassidy View Post
I don't see how a bionic arm makes the Netflix shows any less grounded than a man who's bulletproof or one who attained his power from defeating a dragon. I think there's a possibility that they only teased it here because that's a story they're saving for The Defenders, leading into s2 of LC and/or IF.

I suppose the practical question of how she specifically would get it is relevant, though. That's where grounding issues could come in.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #53
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post

I suppose the practical question of how she specifically would get it is relevant, though. That's where grounding issues could come in.
That's my issue. How would they get it?

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #54
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well we just watched Diamondback acquire weaponry that allowed him to face off against a bulletproof man with super strength, nearly killing Luke at one point. A bionic arm for Misty would only take a little creativity. Perhaps it would come via her connection to Danny. It's certainly possible that he has the resources/contacts to help her out.

Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #55
Shazam
Side-Kick

She was great! I thought she was gonna lose that arm

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #56
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

She's not losing the arm. They teased at the story but went in a different direction that's it. They aren't going there again.

It's just about Netflix surprising fans and doing things differently. IE in Daredevil season 1, Urich dies. No one saw it coming. The producers clearly want to subvert fan expectations with these shows.

They did that subplot on PURPOSE to make fans believe this is how Misty Knight loses her arm and gets a fake one. But ultimately, they were able to save her arm.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #57
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:

From SHIELD or from a brilliant former SHIELD scientist.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #58
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

^ There's no indication that anyone in this show knows anyone from SHIELD.

Quote:
Well we just watched Diamondback acquire weaponry that allowed him to face off against a bulletproof man with super strength, nearly killing Luke at one point. A bionic arm for Misty would only take a little creativity. Perhaps it would come via her connection to Danny. It's certainly possible that he has the resources/contacts to help her out.
Then it would make sense to wait for Iron Fist or Defenders.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:15 AM   #59
Silvermoth
Avenger

I really loved the bits with Simone and Claire together. They make a good team. Hopefully she and Colleen wing have the same amount of chemistry

Old 10-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #60
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I don't see any issue whatsoever with a bionic arm on the show in terms of "grounding" it, there are plenty of places she could get something like that, including apparently Hammer Industries, Potter over in DD could probably cook something up, or you could even say Stark Tech has worked its way into the medical system and hospitals have advanced cybernetics now. If anything, I think Marvel may not want to give numerous characters bionic arms like in the comics because it gets a bit silly after a while.

And I don't think it played as "subverting expectations", it just came off as teasing and not following through

Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #61
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Well there's only one with a bionic arm right now, yeah? And Misty had hers before he did. She deserves it. There's no reason for tptb to take that away from her.

Quote:
Then it would make sense to wait for Iron Fist or Defenders.
So you are agreeing with me? lol

Old 10-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #62
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The arm thing isn't happening. Not sure why it's an element she deserves.

Look they teased it and didn't go there. That's it end of story. They teased it because fans were expecting it. And then they did a bait and switch to subvert fan expectations. They aren't going to do that and then do a whole new subplot where she actually does lose the arm.

Also when you get right down to it, there are a million easy ways to write Misty somehow getting some cybernetics. But the show ultimately doesn't want to go in that direction.

Does anyone even remember that Coulson's hand in Agents of SHIELD is prosthetic? Now it looks like a completely normal hand.

Plus in Agents of SHIELD, you have one doctor creating a completely cybernetic android. Coulson getting a new hand was easily taken care of. Now he has a hand that's completely functional like a normal one and looks just like a real hand.

Now this could've been a really awesome character arc and source of tension for Misty Knight. Maybe losing her arm makes her feel broken or like less of a person? Maybe she partially loses faith in the system as a result? Maybe it put her in a dark place or valley she has to climb her way out of.

Instead they didn't go that route. Am I disappointed? A little. But I'm not going to dwell on it.

- CM Punk
Old 10-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #63
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

If she gets the arm, it'll be in Defenders or a HFH/DotD spinoff.

If being the operational word.

BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #64
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well there's only one with a bionic arm right now, yeah? And Misty had hers before he did. She deserves it. There's no reason for tptb to take that away from her.
I agree. Not to mention that Coulson only has a bionic hand, while Misty's entire arm would be bionic. Also, as Boredguy pointed out, there are already real life advanced bionic limbs, so giving her a high tech bionic arm wouldn't make her less grounded.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #65
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
The arm thing isn't happening. Not sure why it's an element she deserves.
Uh..uh...because it's an important part of her character? Disability representation *is* important and her being a black disabled woman makes it that much more important. There is no logical reason why they'd just take that away.

And I'm not sure why you're so convinced that it isn't happening. They teased it on LC? So?? Again, there is the possibility that tptb wanted to save it for another season or another show. It's not like they had a lot of time to explore it after she was injured. And they clearly wanted to set up more story for her before the season ended so the arm didn't take priority. I'm not going to read more into than that, unless/until we have real reason to believe otherwise.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #66
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Uh..uh...because it's an important part of her character? Disability representation *is* important and her being a black disabled woman makes it that much more important. There is no logical reason why they'd just take that away.
We've seen time and time again though that some of these important aspects of these characters change a lot. Major elements of Luke Cage's backstory were changed for his show. For example, Luke Cage became a southern boy from Georgia who served in the Marines and local police department.

The reasons might be logical, but I can think of many reasons why they'd take that element away.

Case in point Faith Cassidy, a major part of Rick Grimes character was his losing an arm and getting it chopped off. That didn't happen in The Walking Dead TV series. That element was changed.

Now I don't necessarily agree with it. But there are many reasons I can think of why they wouldn't do it. The Netflix shows are depicted differently than the movies. If Misty lost her arm, they'd have to figure out how to get a high-tech prosthetic. People like Misty don't have easy access to technology like that in the Netflix shows. It's probably an aspect of Misty's character they don't want to focus on for right now. At the end they wanted her to be able to walk into a club to go under cover watching over Mariah and Shades in a revealing outfit. That'd be harder if she was missing the arm or had a new prosthetic. The new prosthetic would be a whole subplot that could be difficult to figure out in the world of Luke Cage.

Quote:
And I'm not sure why you're so convinced that it isn't happening. They teased it on LC? So?? Again, there is the possibility that tptb wanted to save it for another season or another show. It's not like they had a lot of time to explore it after she was injured. And they clearly wanted to set up more story for her before the season ended so the arm didn't take priority. I'm not going to read more into than that, unless/until we have real reason to believe otherwise.
Because they baited and switched the device. They started that to make everyone think that's how she loses her arm. But it ended with her being fine and her arm getting fixed. There was no foreshadowing that there were problems with her arm and it's going to be problematic later. It ended with her arm intact walking into the Harlem Paradise club. There's no indication it will be an issue again.

After this incident, where they just went through this whole process just to tease us and not go through with it, it's not happening. They touched on it by putting that incident in, but I doubt they revisit it.

- CM Punk
Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #67
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
We've seen time and time again though that some of these important aspects of these characters change a lot. Major elements of Luke Cage's backstory were changed for his show. For example, Luke Cage became a southern boy from Georgia who served in the Marines and local police department.
That is hardly the same as stripping Misty of both her disability and bionic arm. Would be more like taking away Luke's bulletproof skin or super strength. These are defining characteristics.

Quote:
Now I don't necessarily agree with it. But there are many reasons I can think of why they wouldn't do it. The Netflix shows are depicted differently than the movies. If Misty lost her arm, they'd have to figure out how to get a high-tech prosthetic. People like Misty don't have easy access to technology like that in the Netflix shows. It's probably an aspect of Misty's character they don't want to focus on for right now. At the end they wanted her to be able to walk into a club to go under cover watching over Mariah and Shades in a revealing outfit. That'd be harder if she was missing the arm or had a new prosthetic. The new prosthetic would be a whole subplot that could be difficult to figure out in the world of Luke Cage.
Ha. This is my point, partially anyway. The ending they chose took priority over her losing her arm. That doesn't mean the latter won't happen at some point. Maybe just maybe Cheo liked the idea of teasing it, knowing he wouldn't be able to write the story himself? That makes more sense right now than being so adamant about tptb not wanting to tell the story.

Last edited by Faith_Cassidy; 10-06-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

No. They teased it to reference that part of her character and convince the comic fans to believe that's how it would happen. It wasn't. Instead they completely pulled back and took the character in another direction.

Faith Cassidy, critics who aren't as dedicated to the characters and their history, they don't give a crap that Misty doesn't have her missing arm. They are happier to see a strong African American woman in a quality show.

I think it is important for her character and I want to see it happen, but this show has simply made it clear it won't happen.

Look, Ben Urich. They killed Ben Urich in Daredevil S1 and they did it basically to shock fans. Everyone thought a character like Urich would be safe because of his history, but Marvel completely rewrote the script. Marvel and the Netflix show crews are not afraid of completely re-writing the script in many respects.

- CM Punk
Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #69
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Ben Urich is not a major character and I don't see how that's a valid comparison to the situation with Misty.

Once again, Misty's bionic arm is a distinct, defining characteristic. I'll need more than one season of a show that focused on her being a police detective (which hello, is what she was before she got a bionic arm) before I believe tptb are just gonna abandon that aspect of her character.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #70
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Urich's an important character in Marvel Comics who's been around for almost 40 years. He is a major supporting character and he figured into a lot of the action going on Daredevil. The show went out of its way to develop the character and even give him his own scenes that had nothing to do with the main central plot.

And they still killed him in the first season. He was a major character.

A minor character would be someone like the pawn shop owner who Punisher kills.

- CM Punk
Old 10-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #71
Brother Jack
Believer

Quote:
Urich's an important character in Marvel Comics who's been around for almost 40 years. He is a major supporting character and he figured into a lot of the action going on Daredevil. The show went out of its way to develop the character and even give him his own scenes that had nothing to do with the main central plot.

And they still killed him in the first season. He was a major character.
I'm still kind of raw about that. I get why they did it narratively but they handled him so well that it was a real tragedy to see him go. I feel similarly about Pop in this series.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #72
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

I never said Ben wasn't an important character. He's a supporting character, not a major character and killing him off isn't tantamount to not giving Misty her bionic arm. That's the point I was making.

Anyhow, here's a new interview with Simone where she talks about Misty's bionic arm, among other things. I agree with her. http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/10/06...-marvel-future

Last edited by Faith_Cassidy; 10-06-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #73
Guard82
Side-Kick

I really liked Misty in this show. I'm glad we'll be seeing more of her in the future. She was a great character who cared deeply about seeing justice done and had a neat dynamic with Luke and some of the other characters. Like Luke, Misty was written very well so that you want to root for her. I'm eager to see what she does next.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #74
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

Simone as Misty is awesome & I'll gladly take more of her in the MCU. There's so much there to work with for her character, just like Dawson. As stated already, she was written well & the character is competent & strong without adhering to any clichés. I love that.

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #75
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSir View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Misty showing up in her classic outfit at the end, even though it was pretty brief. She looked hot, I thought she totally pulled it off. Hope she dresses like that for Defenders at least once.

I was just assuming they weren't going to go that way and then when she showed up in classic style at the end I realized we'd never seen her out of her work clothes.
When did they show her classic costume? I don't remember the scene.

Also, I thought she'd get hit with a Judas bullet which would explode in her arm and destroy it.

She was great in the show and a definite highlight.