The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #51
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who is Miscast in this cinematic universe?

Miscast? Nobody, really; some characterizations could use a bit of work, but all the actors delivered on the material they were given. I'm not sold on Ezra's Barry yet, but he had, like, 2 lines, I can't judge.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #52
catch22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Chris Evans is just a solid actor as well. Same goes for Chris Pratt. They're not winning any Oscars anytime soon.
Chris Pratt and Evans are movie-stars because of their charisma. It's not always about pure acting talent

Quote:
Is this a definitive statement that all CW actors couldn't act on high-caliber, award-winning TVshows? Because this is not true at all, since Jimmy Sheridan (Arrow's Robert Queen) and Navid Negahban (Arrow's Al-Owal) both play major roles on Homeland and had no problem acting on the CW. Does it stand to reason that some CW actors can't act that well? Yes. But dismissing anyone who acts on the CW is not the way to go.
The better actors on Flash and Arrow are obvious. Tom Cavanagh owns the screen. Jesse Martin is another one. Grant Gustin does a servicable job, but Ezra Miller has been stellar in things like Perks of Being a Wallflower, Let's Talk About Kevin, and Stanford Prison Experiment

Quote:
Now this is a very articulate argument. Anyway, isn't that the fault of the suit instead of Gustin's?

Please don't take this as just a defense of Gustin's inclusion on DC's movie slate. It's not, since I don't even keep up with his show (though I would rather have him than Miller). I just think this was not a strong argument against his casting.
He's too skinny. He would look ridiculous next to the rest of the Justice League. At least Miller has committed to bulking up and defining his body. Also, i'm not asking the Flash to look Like Supes or something, but muscle definition is important. Flash should look like a sprinter like Usain Bolt. Not a Kenyan marathon runner.

catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #53
Consona
^^^!NOT MY NICKNAME!^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Nobody. Cast is near perfect.
Agreed.

Consona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 AM   #54
harryoscop
Banned User

Gustin is a mediocre actor and terrible compared to Ezra.

harryoscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:40 AM   #55
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

Affleck.

I supported his casting from the moment it was announced, and the fact it was even remotely "controversial" is exactly why I ignore fandom especially when they get into hissy fits over casting without ever giving the candidate a chance at face-value. He was literally coming off Argo, my favorite film of 2012 where he not only directed and produced with such expertise but also gave a career-best performance in the lead.

So I wasn't "ready to believe," I was automatically convinced. But... I didn't buy him as a Bruce Wayne in his late 40s/early 50s whose cynical, beat down and hard-assed having spent 20-odd years secretly fighting crime in the criminal underworld of Gotham.

Adding stumble and putting grey in his hair doesn't automatically add layers to the performance I'm afraid. You have to see it in his face and he was just too baby-faced for what they were going for. Had they gone for closer to Keaton, a la a Bruce Wayne/Bats experienced and a couple of years into it, which is what I thought they were going for, sure he would have rocked it for me.

He's getting way overpraised here and even getting credit for doing things "for the first time onscreen" which isn't remotely true, like doing detective work and his body-movement.

If he's your cup of coffee, all power to you. But for me he was miscast for what they were specifically going for in this iteration of Batman.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:44 AM   #56
NotSoLongAgo
#spidermansolit

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
Gustin is a mediocre actor and terrible compared to Ezra.
Agreed

NotSoLongAgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:53 AM   #57
super85
Side-Kick

The cast is very good. I don't think anyone is miscast.

super85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:56 AM   #58
Charlie The Red
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Affleck.

I supported his casting from the moment it was announced, and the fact it was even remotely "controversial" is exactly why I ignore fandom especially when they get into hissy fits over casting without ever giving the candidate a chance at face-value. He was literally coming off Argo, my favorite film of 2012 where he not only directed and produced with such expertise but also gave a career-best performance in the lead.

So I wasn't "ready to believe," I was automatically convinced. But... I didn't buy him as a Bruce Wayne in his late 40s/early 50s whose cynical, beat down and hard-assed having spent 20-odd years secretly fighting crime in the criminal underworld of Gotham.

Adding stumble and putting grey in his hair doesn't automatically add layers to the performance I'm afraid. You have to see it in his face and he was just too baby-faced for what they were going for. Had they gone for closer to Keaton, a la a Bruce Wayne/Bats experienced and a couple of years into it, which is what I thought they were going for, sure he would have rocked it for me.

He's getting way overpraised here and even getting credit for doing things "for the first time onscreen" which isn't remotely true, like doing detective work and his body-movement.

If he's your cup of coffee, all power to you. But for me he was miscast for what they were specifically going for in this iteration of Batman.
Here here. I still believe we could see a lot more from him, and I think he gave the best performance he could with what he had. Nothing in this movie, however, convinced me he was Bruce Wayne/Batman and not Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne/Batman. For all the criticism Bale received for his Batman voice, no one suspected (especially with Batman Begins) that he wasn't truly becoming the character.

Last edited by Charlie The Red; 04-05-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Charlie The Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #59
Logan0327
Side-Kick

Quote:
Affleck.

Logan0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:23 AM   #60
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
Honestly, I thought that's what most people thought they did right in this movie, haha.

Only one I'm not a fan of is Jesse Eisenberg... But he's playing Lex Luthor Jr... so it is what it is. Bring in Bryan Cranston as his daddy, the real Lex, all is good.

Not sure how you judged Ezra's Flash already. We only see him for a few seconds. Is it just the way he looks? (Long hair/pencil beard) I kinda dig a long haired Flash... but he already cut it for JL.
Dude that is a great avatar.

DeadStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:26 AM   #61
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

Quote:

3. Jared Leto as The Joker: I think he looks too young, especially when compared to Affleck's seasoned Batman. Besides, I am still not over that awful look with the tattoos.

Leto is older than Affleck.

Even in the The Dark Knight Returns the Joker *looked* younger than Batman.

Can't do anything about the tats, but they've grown on me.

DeadStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #62
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Affleck.

Interesting. Keaton was a "stretch" for...even at the time. I enjoyed the movie as entertainment but "believing him" as Batman !...no way.

I agree Affleck can be a bit baby faced but it worked OK for BvS, they were careful how they let him express. At least he had an imposing size this time round...

No-one stays good in this world...everything's changed...if you seek his monument - look around you - ARGO pick your nits ! I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T GET IT...
souperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #63
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Everyone has there own opinion and all that but I'm surprised at how someone thought that about Affleck. I will admit there were moments where he didn't sell it but there were far more where he did IMO.

Even though I disliked the Martha scene I thought he was fantastic in it.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #64
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Eisenberg as Lex. I didn't like the casting choice when it was announced. I didn't like him in the trailers. I didn't like him in the movie.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #65
David H.
Side-Kick

I'd keep Eisenberg. He was on different planet than the rest of the movie and kept me giggling throughout.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #66
Rain in Gotham
"Im a baaaaaaaaaad man"

I've always wanted to see Clancy Brown as lex Luther and having Luther a good 20 years younger then Bruce Wayne is just stupid because why would he be intimidated by some boy

Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #67
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

What was wrong with Lawrence as Perry? I thought he played the role excellently. He was witty and sarcastic without being a clown like J. Jonah (though I do love me some J.K. Simmons JJJ). Appearance aside, I don't think that we could have gotten a better Perry.

As for miscasting, I agree about Eisenberg, but the rest of the cast did really well with some pleasant surprises like Gal as WW.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #68
wampa1
Side-Kick

As if anyone could have a problem with Fishburne as Perry White. His "where does he go?" bit in BvS was a rare highlight and moment of levity.

wampa1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #69
elgaz
Side-Kick

I was pretty happy with the casting in general, bar Tao Okamoto as Mercy Graves. Not that she did anything wrong, but I felt they should have gone with a lesser known actress as she was kinda wasted in such an inconsequential role.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #70
The Shape
In the shadows

Not a big fan of Amy Adams as Lois, if I'm being honest, but she's been serviceable with some of the crappy material she's been given in these films, so I wouldn't say she's miscast.

Eisenberg would have been horribly miscast had they attempted to make him something more along the lines of classic comic book Luthor.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #71
Daedalus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
Chris Pratt and Evans are movie-stars because of their charisma. It's not always about pure acting talent
And that is precisely the argument people make for Gustin. That he is a solid actor, on par with Pratt and co., and that he oozes charisma. Which he does.

Quote:
Grant Gustin does a servicable job, but Ezra Miller has been stellar in things like Perks of Being a Wallflower, Let's Talk About Kevin, and Stanford Prison Experiment
He has. And all of those roles play to his strengths as either a sinister, creepy, or antagonistic character. In none of them does he prove he could be charming enough to pull off a leading man role, which is why people have a problem with him.

Quote:
He's too skinny. He would look ridiculous next to the rest of the Justice League.He's too skinny. He would look ridiculous next to the rest of the Justice League. At least Miller has committed to bulking up and defining his body.
What makes you think Gustin wouldn't be committed if the director required him to bulk up? Besides, let's not pretend he doesn't look fine, because he does.

Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #72
Daedalus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStroke View Post
Leto is older than Affleck.
I know. But while Affleck was made to look his age, Leto looks like he's 30.

Quote:
Even in the The Dark Knight Returns the Joker *looked* younger than Batman.
I don't know, he looked pretty wrinkled to me:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 04-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #73
Bren
Forevernoob

Mine isn't a Gustin vs Miller thing - I just don't like Miller's look or voice.

Saying "how can you judge by the seconds you see him" is irrelevant. I can easily change my opinion if I see more and like it.

But as it is, he got those seconds he was there wrong to me...

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #74
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:

3. Ezra Miller as The Flash: The Flash is all about charm, and Miller is this giant charisma black hole. He is downright sinister in every single performance I have seen of him, which does not fit Barry at all.
lol what?!? I take it you've only seen him in "we need to talk about kevin". Not sure how playing a gay teenager who gets bullied and is funny in "Perks of Being a Wallflower" is sinister.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #75
Daedalus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Mine isn't a Gustin vs Miller thing - I just don't like Miller's look or voice.
I'm not in this advocating for Gustin's inclusion in the cinematic universe either. In fact, I was adamant that they should keep the cinematic and television universes separate. I am just saying that given the choice between Miller and Gustin, I would go with Gustin.

I like Miller, just not for The Flash. Much in the same way that I like Steve Buscemi a lot, but I would never want him to play Batman (though it would be hilarious).