The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #76
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Default Re: Who is Miscast in this cinematic universe?

I dont think you know much about Ezra Miller if you think he doesnt have any charisma. Watch a few interviews, the dude is filled with energy. Besides, Barry Allen isn't Wally, hes supposed to be a bit more serious.

I like Grant even though he is pretty thin for a flash. Wish he would bulk up a bit .

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #77
Daedalus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
lol what?!? I take it you've only seen him in "we need to talk about kevin". Not sure how playing a gay teenager who gets bullied and is funny in "Perks of Being a Wallflower" is sinister.
I have seen the Perks of Being a Wallflower - a movie I really like, by the way - but he was still pretty and antagonistic in this bad-boy, misbehaving child kind of way. This is not a detriment to the movie however, I really like him there. It's just not the vibe I would like in The Flash. I would even take his co-star Lerman over him here, since Lerman has been truly candid when required to.

Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #78
Kanye West
Side-Kick

Eisenberg was great. Love the whole cast tbh

Kanye West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #79
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I have seen the Perks of Being a Wallflower - a movie I really like, by the way - but he was still pretty and antagonistic in this bad-boy, misbehaving child kind of way. This is not a detriment to the movie however, I really like him there. It's just not the vibe I would like in The Flash. I would even take his co-star Lerman over him here, since Lerman has been truly candid when required to.
That is a bit of a stretch. Not sure how anyone can interpret his character as antagonistic in that movie. The movie is literally his character befriending a kid with no friends, what an ahole! lol.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #80
Daedalus
Side-Kick

Quote:
I dont think you know much about Ezra Miller if you think he doesnt have any charisma. Watch a few interviews, the dude is filled with energy.
He most definitely is. Energy does not equal charisma, however. Maybe I am in the minority in thinking he is not charismatic, but I stand by my original statement.

Quote:
Besides, Barry Allen isn't Wally, hes supposed to be a bit more serious.
Yes, I am not asking for a jokester for Barry. I simply want someone who can convey his earnestness, which is the fundamental core of the character.

Quote:
That is a bit of a stretch. Not sure how anyone can interpret his character as antagonistic in that movie. The movie is literally his character befriending a kid with no friends, what an ahole! lol.
That is not what I meant, and I think you know that. Although perhaps I expressed myself wrongfully - as I'm sure you've taken notice, English is not my first language. What I meant by antagonistic (which I explained right after with other adjectives) is that he presented himself as this kind of bad-boy, wildcard, misbehaving kid, none of which are characteristics I would associate with Barry. So saying that his turn in Perks of Being a Wallflower reminds me of Barry would be a lie.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #81
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I think he was cast right for THIS version of Luthor...whether or not people actually like this version. I'm fine with everyone else.
This Lex seemed more like a take on the Joker, than a real Lex Luthor.

WereCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #82
Kanye West
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereCoyote View Post
His ideas and motivation were just like lex

Kanye West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #83
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
That is not what I meant, and I think you know that. Although perhaps I expressed myself wrongfully - as I'm sure you've taken notice, English is not my first language. What I meant by antagonistic (which I explained right after with other adjectives) is that he presented himself as this kind of bad-boy, wildcard, misbehaving kid, none of which are characteristics I would associate with Barry. So saying that his turn in Perks of Being a Wallflower reminds me of Barry would be a lie.
So you are type casting him based on his previous movies then. His character in his prior movies should not remind you of barry allen because he is not playing barry allen in those movies. Its not like Grant Gustin in Glee reminds me of barry allen or Christian Bale in the machinist reminds me of batman or Henry Cavil in Man from uncle reminds me of superman.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #84
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Kevin Spacey is still my favorite Lex. Haters can keep hating.
I prefer Michael Rosenbaum's Lex.

WereCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #85
NotSoLongAgo
#spidermansolit

Ezra is plenty charismatic. I get the feeling he'll be the heart of the team.

NotSoLongAgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #86
Daedalus
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you are type casting him based on his previous movies then.
No, I am judging his capabilities as an actor based on the emotions I have seen him emote, which is all we poor mortals with no access to audition tapes can do. He has thus far failed to convey (or not attempted to convey) earnestness, heart or charisma, all characteristics I feel are important to Barry's character. I think it is more than warranted that I should be apprehensive about his actual turn as the character.

Could I be wrong? Of course. Could I be right? Of course.

Quote:
Its not like Grant Gustin in Glee reminds me of barry allen or Christian Bale in the machinist reminds me of batman or Henry Cavil in Man from uncle reminds me of superman.
I had no opinion on Grant Gustin's casting because I had never seen him beforehand. I had seen Cavill's performance as Charles Brandon on The Tudors prior to Man of Steel, and although his character there was a whole other animal, I had already seen that he was capable of acting out the emotions I thought were paramount to Clark Kent/Kal-El, so I was enthusiastic of his casting.

Another poster above said he/she thinks Miller is charismatic, and that he/she feels he'll be the heart of the team. Although we disagree, we are both essentially doing the same thing: projecting our current impressions of the actor and his body of work into his future role as Barry. It is what we do when any casting is announced.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #87
Maximum_Maximus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Zack Snyder as director?
[/Thread]

Maximum_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #88
Eddie Dean
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
His ideas and motivation were just like lex
He had ideas and motivations?

Old 04-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #89
hellified
Side-Kick

Clearly the biggest casting issue in this movie is JE..but I don't think he was miscast i think he's a good actor he just made some weird choices and decisions in playing luthor..

Amy Adams on the other hand is misused for her stature as a multi oscar nommed actress. She has serious chops but all lois is in these stories so far is hostage bait and damsel in distress. I understand that she lobbied for the part if so then she just wanted that comic book movie franchise money because they have NOTHING for her to do but scream, fall and get captured..ANY actress can do that.

hellified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #90
NotSoLongAgo
#spidermansolit

Eisenberg's hair was ****ing ridiculous

NotSoLongAgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #91
Venomfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lois Lane View Post
Ezra Miller as Barry Allen: seriously WHAT?! He absolutely killed it in his short scenes. His enthusiasm for the role is a joy to behold.
How can you say that? He didn't do anything in the movie. He had a line of dialogue that half the audience apparently couldn't hear and then he stood still in a store

Venomfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #92
King23DC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Affleck.

I supported his casting from the moment it was announced, and the fact it was even remotely "controversial" is exactly why I ignore fandom especially when they get into hissy fits over casting without ever giving the candidate a chance at face-value. He was literally coming off Argo, my favorite film of 2012 where he not only directed and produced with such expertise but also gave a career-best performance in the lead.

So I wasn't "ready to believe," I was automatically convinced. But... I didn't buy him as a Bruce Wayne in his late 40s/early 50s whose cynical, beat down and hard-assed having spent 20-odd years secretly fighting crime in the criminal underworld of Gotham.

Adding stumble and putting grey in his hair doesn't automatically add layers to the performance I'm afraid. You have to see it in his face and he was just too baby-faced for what they were going for. Had they gone for closer to Keaton, a la a Bruce Wayne/Bats experienced and a couple of years into it, which is what I thought they were going for, sure he would have rocked it for me.

He's getting way overpraised here and even getting credit for doing things "for the first time onscreen" which isn't remotely true, like doing detective work and his body-movement.

If he's your cup of coffee, all power to you. But for me he was miscast for what they were specifically going for in this iteration of Batman.
Lord Jesus, thank you. Glad I'm not the only one drunk off the kool-aid.

King23DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #93
Miss Lois Lane
Planet Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
How can you say that? He didn't do anything in the movie. He had a line of dialogue that half the audience apparently couldn't hear and then he stood still in a store
Are you serious? He had several lines of very important dialogue which helped to change Bruce's point of view. And he didn't stand still in a store, he was buying milk and then stopped a robbery within a second because he is, you know, The Flash?

Miss Lois Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #94
batman44
Go Speed GO

I don't feel anyone was miscast, but direction and ideas on certain characters.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #95
Miss Lois Lane
Planet Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampa1 View Post
As if anyone could have a problem with Fishburne as Perry White. His "where does he go?" bit in BvS was a rare highlight and moment of levity.

Ties with Diane Lane as most underused talent in the DCEU.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #96
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23DC View Post
Lord Jesus, thank you. Glad I'm not the only one drunk off the kool-aid.
I wouldn't say Affleck was miscast but I wasn't all that impressed with him either. I'd like to see him work with a better script.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #97
dario2739
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lois Lane View Post

Ties with Diane Lane as most underused talent in the DCEU.
Fishburne was inspired casting as Perry White – and he was superb in BvS... so much so he appeared to have more screentime than he probably actually did.
To be honest this thread's a bit petty - and takes the BvS bashing beyond a joke.
Any problems there were with the movie are not casting problems... the only devisive choice was Eisenberg as Lex... but that's because of everyone having preconcieved ideas of what Luthor should be.
For me he worked... moreso I would say than Hackman of Spacey... they just weren't 'Luthor' to me... and I suggest everyone waits to see how this Luthor evolves.

dario2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #98
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereCoyote View Post
I wouldn't take it that far, but he was definitely way nuttier than any interpretation of Lex that I've ever seen. He wasn't a complete nihilist like the Joker, and he didn't kill indiscriminately. He clearly had a plan with goals (even if they weren't clear to the audience) that wasn't simply for spreading fear or chaos.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #99
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Luthor didn't have much of a plan when he created a giant monster that he didn't know how to control.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #100
Miss Lois Lane
Planet Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario2739 View Post
Fishburne was inspired casting as Perry White – and he was superb in BvS... so much so he appeared to have more screentime than he probably actually did.
To be honest this thread's a bit petty - and takes the BvS bashing beyond a joke.
Any problems there were with the movie are not casting problems... the only devisive choice was Eisenberg as Lex... but that's because of everyone having preconcieved ideas of what Luthor should be.
For me he worked... moreso I would say than Hackman of Spacey... they just weren't 'Luthor' to me... and I suggest everyone waits to see how this Luthor evolves.