The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Andreth
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark-Kent View Post
I felt he was much more rounded in MOS as a full character, and don't think they went too far dark. I think BvS screwed up royally the moment he said he'd kill Batman if not getting help, since Lex ordered him too.... and told Lois "No one stays good in this world." :dry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
One of many...many terrible lines. :loco:
Cavill wasn't even acting in that scene, he was just disgusted with the dialogue he had to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark-Kent View Post
I do feel he may have been cringing internally a bit when saying that lol.
Quote:
He looked like he was gonna throw up. :o
HA! I'm glad I'm not the only one, this was so awful, it gave me second hand embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baneis8feettall View Post
I feel same about when Bruce & Clark meet eachother. It looked as fake as Kimmell parody to me.

Whole scene is dead then Lex comes up and make it worse.
lol :hehe:

Quote:

I have a new love affair with MoS now.

Last edited by Andreth; 04-13-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

I like Cavill's acting.

-Me
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
matt47
Side-Kick

Anyone notice how much he blinks when saying a line?

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anyone notice how much he blinks when saying a line?
Acting trick. Draws attention to the eyes.

-Me
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Man_of_Tomorrow
Nobodys Side-Kick

It's a sign of lying. Just what is that alien hiding, hmmmm.

Man_of_Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
matt47
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Acting trick. Draws attention to the eyes.
But you can't see the eyes because he blinks with every syllable

Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
Vaibow
Side-Kick

I honestly think he is focusing too much on the accent.

Vaibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #10
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Someone did the research and Cavill had only around 45 lines of dialogue in BvS.

Superhero nerd.
Writer for @GalvNews. Bylines: @WashingtonPost, @BuzzFeed, @MovieViral.
ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
Man_of_Tomorrow
Nobodys Side-Kick

He's doing all his talking with his eyes. Like people do in the real world...or something.

Man_of_Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Going off my post from yesterday, here is a more detailed look at Superman's lines, or lack thereof, in BvS:

Quote:
As it turns out, in a movie with a two-and-a-half-hour run time, Henry Cavill has only 43 lines of dialogue.
The substance of those lines is severely lacking too; Superman’s longest statement in the film is one in which he forsakes his faith in truth, justice and the American Way:

“I’m afraid I didn’t see it because I wasn’t looking … All this time, I’ve been living my life the way my father saw it. Righting wrongs for a ghost. Thinking I’m here to do good. Superman was never real, just a dream of a farmer from Kansas.”

Beyond that, 36 of his 43 lines are 12 words or less. In some of his scenes, Superman appears to say the minimum necessary to allow the other person in the scene (Batman, Lex Luthor, etc.) to carry the dialogue. He says nothing at all when receiving advice from Martha Kent, nor when he arrives at the Senate, and if coolerthanabagofice’s accounting is to be believed, Superman’s total contribution to the script is 491 words.
Absolutely inexcusable.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #13
hurley711
Side-Kick

Maybe they are hiding the fact that he isn't that great of an actor. It's telling. 2 movies of a pretty silent Superman. The bat is dead bury it scene was pretty wooden. His entire delivery of those lines were brutal.

hurley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #14
matt47
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley711 View Post
Maybe they are hiding the fact that he isn't that great of an actor. It's telling. 2 movies of a pretty silent Superman. The bat is dead bury it scene was pretty wooden. His entire delivery of those lines were brutal.
Go watch his other movies. He ain't a bad actor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkrPDZm77ws (3:00)
In this interview he basically says how he hasn't been allowed to bring anything from himself into the character yet because he isn't THE Superman yet. Poor guy looks frustrated by how the character is being used.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #15
King23DC
Banned User

Quote:
I thought that was obvious the film makers, and scripters were hiding him.

His acting chops is the reason. He has the looks, and physical presence. But no charisma, and usually very wooden. "The bat is dead" delivery is horrendous, and when I first saw it, I thought it was TV movie quality.

But hey, he's not AS HIDDEN as they did the even worse, Brandon Routh. That guy was literally a card board cut out for an entire movie.

King23DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #16
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

I'm not sure if any of you have seen Man from UNCLE but Cavill was quite good in that. He had some really nice moments that showed how charismatic he can really be. So no, it's not Cavill's fault.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Going off my post from yesterday, here is a more detailed look at Superman's lines, or lack thereof, in BvS:

As it turns out, in a movie with a two-and-a-half-hour run time, Henry Cavill has only 43 lines of dialogue.
The substance of those lines is severely lacking too; Superman’s longest statement in the film is one in which he forsakes his faith in truth, justice and the American Way:

“I’m afraid I didn’t see it because I wasn’t looking … All this time, I’ve been living my life the way my father saw it. Righting wrongs for a ghost. Thinking I’m here to do good. Superman was never real, just a dream of a farmer from Kansas.”

Beyond that, 36 of his 43 lines are 12 words or less. In some of his scenes, Superman appears to say the minimum necessary to allow the other person in the scene (Batman, Lex Luthor, etc.) to carry the dialogue. He says nothing at all when receiving advice from Martha Kent, nor when he arrives at the Senate, and if coolerthanabagofice’s accounting is to be believed, Superman’s total contribution to the script is 491 words.

Absolutely inexcusable.
Yeah, it is inexcusable, Flint.

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. This is one of the worst representations of a classic character in recent memory.

Also, I won't begrudge anyone their own opinion on Cavill, but I disagree that this is his fault or that he's a bad actor. He was good in The Tudors and his early movies, and quite charming UNCLE. I also thought he did good in MOS when he had the opportunity. Even in BvS, there are a couple of scenes where he shines ("you're my world" and his humble little smile in the Day of the Dead scene).

I just think the character was horribly written. I mean, that godawful "no one stays good" line? If he has any understanding and appreciation of the character (and I believe he does), that must have been hard to say. I'm sure he was thinking about how he could do his best to sell it, but imagine how well he could do if he was given dialogue that actually corresponds to the character he was so keen on playing for so long.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #18
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I'm not sure if any of you have seen Man from UNCLE but Cavill was quite good in that. He had some really nice moments that showed how charismatic he can really be. So no, it's not Cavill's fault.
Maybe they need to transplant his Man from UNCLE personality into these Superman films. Let him play Napoleon Solo and we'll get more of a Superman/Clark Kent character as a result.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #19
Jaxon
Banned User

Quote:
I'd contend he delivered those perfectly. Superman was threatening someone, something he feels terrible about doing and delivered it uncomfortably exactly the way Superman would.

Go watch Man from Uncle, Cavill is charming and bright and really shines. He's a talented actor for sure.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #20
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime

He's definitely a good actor, BUT, he does have some awful line deliveries in BvS, deliveries I think a good director would have insisted be redone.

"Nobody stays good"

"The bat is dead"

"The woman I love could have been blown up"

"Superman was never real"

These are all pretty badly delivered, some flat out wooden, some just awkward, but I'm very aware it's someone acting.

That's on the director though, I've seen Cavill in UNCLE, I've seen him in the Tudors. He can certainly act, and he definitely has charisma.

Tony Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #21
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
He's definitely a good actor, BUT, he does have some awful line deliveries in BvS, deliveries I think a good director would have insisted be redone.

"Nobody stays good"

"The bat is dead"

"The woman I love could have been blown up"

"Superman was never real"

These are all pretty badly delivered, some flat out wooden, some just awkward, but I'm very aware it's someone acting.

That's on the director though, I've seen Cavill in UNCLE, I've seen him in the Tudors. He can certainly act, and he definitely has charisma.
Save for "Superman was never real", I think those are just poorly written lines more so than poorly acted.

Cavill is a relatively new actor (in the sense that he hasn't been in a wide variety of films) and has some growing to do but he's leaps and bounds better than some actors today.

The script has issues, not Cavill IMO.

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #22
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

We need a director who will tell him to stop playing Superman/ Clark Kent and play Napoleon Solo instead. Then we'll get a decent Supes/CK performance out of him.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #23
titansupes
Side-Kick

It's just a shame that two movies into this universe, we still have to look to unrelated things in his filmography to say "Hey, Henry Cavill could be a really good Superman!"

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
Save for "Superman was never real", I think those are just poorly written lines more so than poorly acted.

Cavill is a relatively new actor (in the sense that he hasn't been in a wide variety of films) and has some growing to do but he's leaps and bounds better than some actors today.

The script has issues, not Cavill IMO.
Some of them are awful lines. "Nobody stays good", that's an appalling line for a Superman film. But to be honest they're just delivered in such a flat manner that it makes them that bit worse. If someone had only seen Cavill in BvS I'd actually understand why they might assume he's not a very good actor. I mean he's hardly got any dialogue and he's a bit wooden in what dialogue he actually has.

I still firmly believe it's on Snyder though.

Actually I might be unfair on Cavill here, I do think there's wooden deliveries, but then when you think about it, Zack Snyders Superman IS very wooden, in the sense that the way he's actually written sells him as a bit one beat and wooden

Last edited by Tony Gunk; 04-19-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Tony Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
King23DC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
He's definitely a good actor
Lol um based on what? Immortals or Man from Uncle? A good actor fan take bad lines, and make it work. It's all in the delivery usually anyway. Thus why he isn't nor should be considered a good actor. It's also why he's very clearly hidden in both Superman films.

King23DC is offline   Reply With Quote