The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 06-04-2016, 11:41 PM   #76
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

That's not a slight on Cavill who I think could be an excellent Superman with the right material and direction. The biggest waste is that he has natural charm and a great smile and the majority of the time he has the same blank expression. If you'd never seen him in anything else you could be forgiven for thinking he was a very limited actor only selected for his physical remeblrnce to Superman.

It isn't a good film for him, even some of his deliveries and expressions aren't quite right. However he could get better direction, he was brilliant in UNCLE but then he was working with Guy Ritchie on that picture and he's a good director.

Cavill deserves better. We deserve better

Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #77
Light
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
Yeah...seriously lacking...
Thanks for pointing that out but I was comparing his Physique from MOS to the one in BVS. I never claimed it wasn't impressive just that it falls short when compared to his Physique in the first movie.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #78
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboMan View Post
Umm...a little something called a bomb exploded just as he was about to, killing all those around him to whom he came to speak to.
But this is fiction, where you have every chance to engineer the reality you're building for a desired effect. No one here was a slave to "the little something called a bomb" so much that a shock plot point had to take precedence over important characterization. Many people seem to have seen this scene as an opportunity to fill in a blank, to make up for something that was missing in the character that's being built on screen. Plenty of effective/memorable scenes in moviedom have been dependent on that: filmmakers not failing to squeeze juice out of a moment. If they opted for way B instead of way A, fine. But it takes actual pretending to believe that this was "duh, the only option they had".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
btw, what would you like to hear?

i fight for the truth, justice and the whatever way?
i'm here to inspire hope???

what would you like superman to say to those who suffer / injured due to the consequences of his action?
And that's where writers come in. Seriously. They put words in characters' mouths that reflect personalities, beliefs, intentions. A well-done job on their part will be people believing the opposite of "there was nothing to say".

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #79
StormC
Custom User Title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
People want Superman to have lots of dialogue.
Of course we do. It's Superman. He's charming and friendly. I don't understand why this is being treated like a ridiculous request.

StormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #80
Jaxon
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Thanks for pointing that out but I was comparing his Physique from MOS to the one in BVS. I never claimed it wasn't impressive just that it falls short when compared to his Physique in the first movie.
He's 10kg heavier than he was in MoS and 6% body fat in BvS according to hs trainer. They went for more size because in BvS he was standing next to Batman and given Bruce's naturally larger frame he needed the physique to look like equals.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #81
Jaxon
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
But this is fiction, where you have every chance to engineer the reality you're building for a desired effect. No one here was a slave to "the little something called a bomb" so much that a shock plot point had to take precedence over important characterization. Many people seem to have seen this scene as an opportunity to fill in a blank, to make up for something that was missing in the character that's being built on screen. Plenty of effective/memorable scenes in moviedom have been dependent on that: filmmakers not failing to squeeze juice out of a moment. If they opted for way B instead of way A, fine. But it takes actual pretending to believe that this was "duh, the only option they had".

And that's where writers come in. Seriously. They put words in characters' mouths that reflect personalities, beliefs, intentions. A well-done job on their part will be people believing the opposite of "there was nothing to say".
You need to look at the Senate scene as a Lex moment (his triumphant victory), not a Superman moment. When you realise that everything in this movie happens because of Lex then you'll see it through a different lens.
Robbing Superman of this critical moment was Lex winning.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #82
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
He's 10kg heavier than he was in MoS and 6% body fat in BvS according to hs trainer. They went for more size because in BvS he was standing next to Batman and given Bruce's naturally larger frame he needed the physique to look like equals.
There's also lighting to consider.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #83
sf2
Side-Kick

There is a line in the trailer for the Ultimate Edition of BvS that got to me. It was from an African woman being interviewed on the news. She is asked if there is anything she would like to say to Superman. She says:
“My family had dreams too. I will look him in the eye and ask him which lives count and which do not.”

tough, tough, tough question...

Zack Snyder took it too seriously... superhero movie is just like any typical commercial pop-culture. why so serious???

fans only asking for light, fun, mindless and action packed superhero movie...

see now... they are all grumbling. superman doesn't exist, zack snyder. don't make him real!!! people can't handle reality!!! people watching superhero movie to escape from reality!!! don't you understand!!!??? just show him saving innocents and punching the bad guys will do.

sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #84
Marz69
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormC View Post
Of course we do. It's Superman. He's charming and friendly. I don't understand why this is being treated like a ridiculous request.
Yeah, it's strange. It's not a ridiculous request. Henry Cavill is charming, I'd like to see some of him in Superman

Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #85
LamboMan
Side-Kick

Quote:

There is a line in the trailer for the Ultimate Edition of BvS that got to me. It was from an African woman being interviewed on the news. She is asked if there is anything she would like to say to Superman. She says:
“My family had dreams too. I will look him in the eye and ask him which lives count and which do not.”

Zack Snyder took it too seriously... superhero movie is just like any typical commercial pop-culture. why so serious???

see now... they are all grumbling. superman doesn't exist, zack snyder. don't make him real!!! people can't handle reality!!! people watching superhero movie to escape from reality!!! don't you understand!!!??? just show him saving innocents and punching the bad guys will do.
Quoted for truth!

Thoughts and observations on MOS & MORE!
LamboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #86
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

A question they didn't bother to have their character try to answer and has been answered before with other versions.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #87
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
You need to look at the Senate scene as a Lex moment (his triumphant victory), not a Superman moment. When you realise that everything in this movie happens because of Lex then you'll see it through a different lens.
Robbing Superman of this critical moment was Lex winning.
I get it, but as a mean of building a character, it's pretty unwise. "At the expense of" they call it.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #88
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:

Yeah because people hate it when you use superheroes to tell a serious story with compelling themes. That's why those Nolan batman films all flopped and were so poorly recieved.
Oh, wait...

Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #89
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

I stilk say keep the tone they're doing. It helps differentiate from Marvel. But don't be afraid to throw in more smiles, jokes and levity. Not so much it becomes AoU. But let's say every DC movie should be in the tone of The Winter Soldier at it's darkest.

#DesignedByTonyStark
ernesth100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #90
Jekecy
Side-Kick

X-Men has virtually perfect its tone across the entire film series. I don't recall any fan criticizing it for either being too dark or too light, too serious or too funny.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #91
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

More than jokes, future sequels need to contain some positivity, and a general air of hope. BVS was just so depressing, it seemed like everyone (except Lois?) only had negative things to say about heroism.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #92
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
X-Men has virtually perfect its tone across the entire film series. I don't recall any fan criticizing it for either being too dark or too light, too serious or too funny.
the reality is nobody cares...

Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #93
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
A question they didn't bother to have their character try to answer and has been answered before with other versions.
that's for us to look for the answer...

why god hasn't granted our wishes...

Old 06-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #94
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Yeah because people hate it when you use superheroes to tell a serious story with compelling themes. That's why those Nolan batman films all flopped and were so poorly recieved.
Oh, wait...
maybe Nolanverse is still playing safe and not serious enough?
have Nolan tackled batman in reality, as if he exists in a real world?? what would the real public reaction and police reaction on him??
sorry i can't recall BB, watched it once and didn't like it.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #95
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
maybe Nolanverse is still playing safe and not serious enough?
have Nolan tackled batman in reality, as if he exists in a real world?? what would the real public reaction and police reaction on him??
sorry i can't recall BB, watched it once and didn't like it.
!!!!!

And there goes your last shred of credibility!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #96
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
that's for us to look for the answer...

why god hasn't granted our wishes...
Not really. They had the perfect chance for Superman to give his answer, but they didn't use it.

Superman isn't God. As for the real God, anyone who cares to have such questions answered can find out.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #97
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not really. They had the perfect chance for Superman to give his answer, but they didn't use it.

Superman isn't God. As for the real God, anyone who cares to have such questions answered can find out.
indeed. but in the movie, almost everybody treating him as one, from batman, Lex, Wallace, the African lady, the news commentators, and the people. asking him all sorta 'god' questions... trying to nail him down...

and the movie shows it. superman isn't God. he is just Clark Kent. a very brave man... and Bruce didn't fail superman in live. he failed Clark Kent in live...

Old 06-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #98
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
indeed. but in the movie, almost everybody treating him as one, from batman, Lex, Wallace, the African lady, the news commentators, and the people. asking him all sorta 'god' questions... trying to nail him down...

and the movie shows it. superman isn't God. he is just Clark Kent. a very brave man... and Bruce didn't fail superman in live. he failed Clark Kent in live...
Yeah, and they all ended up looking pretty silly. I don't know what it about this obsession with Superman and being a god that some people like to deal with. It pretty much never works.

I don't think it really showed anything about him not being a god. They just throw all these references and whatnot and really do nothing with it. Just questions and ideas they didn't really bother to answer or deal with. Maybe they do a better job with it in the extender version, but I doubt it.

"

Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #99
Jaxon
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
But soooooo boring. OMG it's such a horrible franchise I can't stand anything about it from J Law to evreyone else. The only good thing in any movie was Tyrian Lannister.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #100
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, and they all ended up looking pretty silly. I don't know what it about this obsession with Superman and being a god that some people like to deal with. It pretty much never works.

I don't think it really showed anything about him not being a god. They just throw all these references and whatnot and really do nothing with it. Just questions and ideas they didn't really bother to answer or deal with. Maybe they do a better job with it in the extender version, but I doubt it.
If a flying man appears in the sky with incredible powers, you don’t think people will regard his as God in real life???

I thought they did an excellent job showing superman is just Clark Kent.

Did you see that he was nervous during the senate hearing. His head was down… the senator had to raise her voice and called him ‘sir’ to get his attention…

he is a flawed character, he has doubts on his dream. he is not perfect, he gets angry, he loves and adores the main women in his life. Without his powers, he is just a regular joe, but a very brave one. he stands up against batman bullying.

I relate to that more than someone saving a helicopter or plane and then giving a dorky line "still safest way to fly". I know people like that, but I just can't relate to someone like that. Or be fond of someone like that anymore.

Last edited by sf2; 06-07-2016 at 02:05 AM.