Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Luke Cage

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #26
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

Default Re: Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedmuse View Post
Watching that Netflix roll makes them look like team hoodie ^^ No, they don't have matching 'A's on their uniforms but they all shopped at the same place, so...
To absolutely no one's surprise I am a huge geek. One geeky thing I do is divide my music into character playlists. (I've found superheroes work really well because of their larger than life, mythic qualities sand there are so many of them you can cover almost every character type) In fact, recently I'be decided to redo the whole thing only using Marvel (okay and also Firefly) because it got unmanageable with too many fandom and too many characters with similar themes. Right now I've had only got four songs for Cage and they aren't really a sound you'd associate with Luke. they just have lyrics that speak to the character. Look, I grew up on The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Disco, and 60s/70s/90s Rock. It's what my parents listened too so until high school, basically, it's what I listened to. I've expanded my musical taste since then. Turns out I'm really just a poetry lover, I like music for the lyrics. A lot of you seem way excited about these songs/artist I don't know, So Inwas hoping you all could point me towards some that particular speaks to Cage. Not just songs likely to appear on the show's soundtrack l, but ones whose lyrics really reflect Cage as a character. So if anyone has any suggestions I'd be super thankful! (I'm also struggling with a couple others like Misty Knight and Iron Fist - so few songs about being raised by mystical ninjas before defeating a dragon and returning to New York to take revenge upon your father's killer - so if you randomly have refs for them. Hey throw out any song that particularly reminds you of a character that's pretty much how I learn new not top 20s. But mostly Cage.)
I have a Power Man playlist

Sean Price - Onion Head
Guilty Simpson - The Real Me
Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues
Mobb Deep - Streets Raised Me
Miles Davis - So What
Ghostface Killah - One
Little Brother - Hiding Place
Cormega - The True Meaning
Nas - Get Down
MOP - Ante Up
Ntorious B.I.G. - Sky Is The Limit

It's basically a mixture of soulful, gangsta, and introspective.

Last edited by BlueLanternKal; 07-30-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #27
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

‘Luke Cage’ Showrunner Teases Big-Name Musical Guests for Season One [TCA 2016]

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #28
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

Are there any superstrength villains Luke can fight?

#DesignedByTonyStark
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #29
Astro13Zombie
Side-Kick

I'm starting to get hyped about this show.
Just watched the trailer a few times in a row.
Looking forward to hearing what songs they include in the soundtrack.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #30
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesth100 View Post
Are there any superstrength villains Luke can fight?
Yes.

"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
Old 08-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #31
Slick
Yup

Luke Cage a Love Song to Harlem
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...reaking_banner

Old 08-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #32
SuperBatman
Side-Kick

Starting to get ready for this show by Revisiting some of Netflix Marvel Past Daredevil Season 1 then Jessica Jones and then DareDevil Season 2 if planned right I will have rewatched everything one last time before the start of Luke Cage.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #33
Bren
Forevernoob

It really seems like Luke Cage and his whole environment/world/music etc is far from my understanding due to my somewhat sheltered white upbringing. Trailer did nothing for me.

But he helps people and is a good guy so I really like him and I'll give this a go.

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #34
Astro13Zombie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBatman View Post
Starting to get ready for this show by Revisiting some of Netflix Marvel Past Daredevil Season 1 then Jessica Jones and then DareDevil Season 2 if planned right I will have rewatched everything one last time before the start of Luke Cage.
I started Jessica Jones again for the same reason.
The original plan was to try and make it last until Luke Cage is released.
.....ended up watching the season in 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It really seems like Luke Cage and his whole environment/world/music etc is far from my understanding due to my somewhat sheltered white upbringing. Trailer did nothing for me.

But he helps people and is a good guy so I really like him and I'll give this a go.
WHAT

Old 08-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #35
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

So you can't get into any films or tv shows that aren't white centric? That's unfortunate.

Twitter- @mrpink13
Old 08-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #36
Bren
Forevernoob

What do I know about black struggle on a personal level? Sadly very little. So for example, the music that so many people are raving about - it means nothing to me, I don't understand the context so it's just music 'I don't like' as opposed to something actually meaningful.
Since the music was a big part of the trailer, can you understand why it added nothing for me?

But I'll find reasons to give something a go - in this case because he's a good guy and helps people. If I learn something along the way, that'll be great.

Edit - nvm

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10

Last edited by Bren; 08-04-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #37
sabetoonth
Where You Get Those Eyes?

Quote:
What do I know about black struggle on a personal level? Sadly very little. So for example, the music that so many people are raving about - it means nothing to me, I don't understand the context so it's just music 'I don't like' as opposed to something actually meaningful.
Since the music was a big part of the trailer, can you understand why it added nothing for me?

But I'll find reasons to give something a go - in this case because he's a good guy and helps people. If I learn something along the way, that'll be great.

Edit - nvm
Just like me. But. I don't think of Luke as a black dude(I mean, he is, but its not where I focus) he's a guy with a past trying to do good now. He was my favorite part of Jessica Jones and so Cage is my biggest anticipated MCU product of the year.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 08-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #38
Bren
Forevernoob

Yeah I just think I'm not explaining myself properly, and someone's going to read something that's not there and then it's going to get ugly, so I'm out of this. Hope everyone (including me) enjoys the show.

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Old 08-05-2016, 01:51 AM   #39
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

I get what Bren is saying. As an european, even american culture in itself is something that I can't completely relate to. And life in Harlem seems even stranger to me. Stranger meaning here less known. Perhaps this show can teach me something, hopefully it is accurate.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #40
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Luke Cage is a pretty universal character. Apart from the racism he received from a sadistic guard in prison his struggles have generally been something that could happen to anyone.

Betrayal by you best friend, framed for a crime that lands you in prison, your loved one being killed, falling out with your family, wanting to make your neighborhood a better place, trying to turn your life around and protecting the the people you care about are things that could happen to almost anyone.

I think what matters most about the Harlem setting is that you get a sense of the place. Daredevil has that with Hell's Kitchen, Batman has it with Gotham and other heroes with the place they live.

Why the place matters to the characters is what will help people understand their version Harlem even if people are unfamiliar with the real Harlem.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #41
Wylie Times
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Luke Cage is a pretty universal character. Apart from the racism he received from a sadistic guard in prison his struggles have generally been something that could happen to anyone.

Betrayal by you best friend, framed for a crime that lands you in prison, your loved one being killed, falling out with your family, wanting to make your neighborhood a better place, trying to turn your life around and protecting the the people you care about are things that could happen to almost anyone.

I think what matters most about the Harlem setting is that you get a sense of the place. Daredevil has that with Hell's Kitchen, Batman has it with Gotham and other heroes with the place they live.

Why the place matters to the characters is what will help people understand their version Harlem even if people are unfamiliar with the real Harlem.

I don't know if I fully agree with this. Luke's race is a core aspect of his character, just not in the way many people think. I think that when people think of race being an important part of a character they immediately think that means every story deals with racism in some way or another. A lot of times it just means how the character interacts with the world, cultural differences, and how the wider world interacts with him.

A good example of this is the current Power Man & Iron Man fist run. That book doesn't really deal with racism outside of a couple off handed comments but race is weaved within the fabric of the book, there are little cultural nods that black and brown Americans are going to pick up on before others. I imagine it'll be the same with the show in many regards.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #42
Slick
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBatman View Post
Cool. I just finished my re-watch of DD S1, S2 and JJ S1. So I'm ready.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #43
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Seems like they are going to make Luke Cage's hoodie his cape and cowl this season

- CM Punk
Old 08-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #44
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Random thought, would anyone like to see Phil Fox write for the New York Bulletin as a very nosy reporter who thinks that Luke Cage is really Carl Lucas, escaped convict? He was in very early Heroes for Hire before meeting an unfortunate end, but I think he could make for a good side plot.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 08-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #45
BarryAllen
ey b0ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Random thought, would anyone like to see Phil Fox write for the New York Bulletin as a very nosy reporter who thinks that Luke Cage is really Carl Lucas, escaped convict? He was in very early Heroes for Hire before meeting an unfortunate end, but I think he could make for a good side plot.
It'd be nice to see him, but that kinda seems to be the similar to Misty Knight and Rafael Scarfe's arc as police detectives investingating into Luke Cage and who he is. We'll have to see how Luke Cage ends up by the end of the season and if he gets proven innocent of the charges that landed him in jail. If he does, then there wouldn't need to be Phil Fox. If he doesn't, then I could see that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jyd8MeKOgg

^If you look at the SDCC sizzle reel video, there's a clip where Luke gets surrounded by reporters and he takes his hood off. I'm thinking that this takes place by the end of the season, where Luke embraces his role as a community hero. Whether or not his past exploits will be brought is to be seen.

Also on IMDB, it lists Dawn-Lyen Gardner as Megan McLaren, who is another reporter in the Marvel Universe.

And in other news, continuing the Gang Starr homage, episodes 4 and 5 have been revealed:

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/statu...58301822873600
https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/statu...73300357296128

Episode 4: Step in the Arena
Episode 5: Just to Get a Rep

Note that Colter revealed that Ep 4 is the origin episode.

Last edited by BarryAllen; 08-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #46
Slick
Yup

First trailer tomorrow folks.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #47
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #48
Slick
Yup