The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Black Lightning

Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #451
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Default Re: Black Lightning General Discussion

^Not likely.

"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #452
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
Holy ***!
DAMN

does anyone know the budget of this or the ratings compared to the other CW shows?

I like that it's filmed in Atlanta. I feel it helps the theme.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #453
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

I think their average makes it CW's second highest rated show. It has solidified around the .5 mark, which is kind of the top area for CW shows.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #454
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
DAMN

does anyone know the budget of this or the ratings compared to the other CW shows?

I think they’re currently 4th after “The Flash”, “Supernatural”, & “Riverdale”. 5th if you count “Supergirl”. I think the show is doing well when you factor in expectations. They’re already up there with “Legends of Tomorrow” & doing a lot better than “Arrow”.

ComicBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #455
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

If anyone should crossover with Black Lightning it should be Flash since its ratings warrant it. Arrow's ratings do not warrant a crossover on its own.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #456
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
If anyone should crossover with Black Lightning it should be Flash since its ratings warrant it. Arrow's ratings do not warrant a crossover on its own.
Yeah, if we go by ratings, every superhero show + Riverdale & Supernatural are more worthy for a crossover with Black Lightning than Arrow.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #457
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
It'd be interesting to see Flash and Black Lightning interact. The tone of the two shows seems very different though.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #458
Pennywise
Side-Kick

Next week's episode will feature Tobias vs Jefferson, and I can wait for them to rumble!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #459
KevTravels
Side-Kick

what do you mean? Wouldn't Arrow wanna crossover to bounce their ratings for a week? Or do you mean that BL has nothing to benefit from a crossover with Arrow?

Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #460
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
what do you mean? Wouldn't Arrow wanna crossover to bounce their ratings for a week? Or do you mean that BL has nothing to benefit from a crossover with Arrow?
I think they mean that Black Lightning doesn’t gain anything from crossing over with Arrow. Seems like Arrow’s only appeals these days are #Olicity, the tie-ins with other DCTV shows, & hope that Black Siren will ultimately become the Black Canary. None of those have any appeal to anyone outside of Arrow fans; in fact those things cause division even within the Arrow fandom.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #461
batdude
Side-Kick

There is a couple Black Lightning/ Green Arrow stories in the comics although ome of the other shows might be a more fun crossover.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #462
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Ratings aside, I think Arrow & Black Lightning would make the most sense for a crossover because the villains of Star City & Freeland seem most similar out of the DCTV shows.

At the same time, ratings should play a factor because a crossover episode should boost ratings for a new show instead of boosting a show that appears to be at its end, and a crossover between Black Lightning & Arrow would only be beneficial to Arrow.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #463
Flash525
Side-Kick

The first show that should cross with BL (if any) should be Arrow - simply because it has a similar tone. Flash, Supergirl and Legends are far too light when compared with the likes of Black Lightning; Green Arrow has that darker tone, and thus, in my opinion, would be a better fit.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #464
Thriller
Newbie First Class

Season 2 confirmed!! Finally! As long as they keep up the quality of Season 1, then I can't wait for this!

Thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #465
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
The first show that should cross with BL (if any) should be Arrow - simply because it has a similar tone. Flash, Supergirl and Legends are far too light when compared with the likes of Black Lightning; Green Arrow has that darker tone, and thus, in my opinion, would be a better fit.
Excellent point

Old 04-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #466
Frodo
Side-Kick

I actually think it should be Black Lighting and Arrow first as well.

As much as I'd love for Jefferson to meet Joe , Iris, and Barry, Arrow makes the most sense for the first cross over.

I could totally see Jefferson and Oliver not getting along in the beginning, and it would create an interesting dynamic and tension between two men who are very different from each other and would likely see the world very differently.

I'd be over the moon if the two big bads were Tobias and Slade .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #467
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Agreed that Arrow makes more sense in terms of storylines and tone...

That said, if Arrow can cross over with Flash... why can't BL? It'd be, imho a more interesting crossover, though Arrow likely could end up more topical.

And since someone mentioned Riverdale... I'd love a Josie and the Pussycats easter egg in Freeland somewhere. Not that I can even *think* of following that show this year.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #468
terry78
I don't die, fool

Quote:
DAMN

Little off topic but....her secne in the new Twin Peaks....****. I think that title referred to more than the name of the place.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #469
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That said, if Arrow can cross over with Flash... why can't BL? It'd be, imho a more interesting crossover, though Arrow likely could end up more topical.
Arrow and Flash work(ed) because Barry was first introduced on Arrow, and the initial crossovers were more on par with the tones of the respective shows now.

Flash & Supergirl have a very similar vibe; more fun and light-hearted, though granted they've got their threats. You rarely, if ever, see Barry or Kara killing though, whereas Oliver has. We've never had a direct crossover between Arrow & Supergirl, likely because of the difference in tone and that it (I don't think) would work.

Barry is the middle-man between Oliver & Kara, but Oliver remains the lead man I think; he's usually the one (in the crossovers) that's ultimately making the decisions. The DCTV did all start with Arrow after all.

I'm not saying Barry couldn't appear alongside Pierce, but I'd rather Ollie (and Diggle?) do so first, and if Barry were to show up, he'd do so with less jokes, and a more serious tone; hopefully the BL writers would write his scenes as the Flash writers (sometimes) leave a lot to be desired.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #470
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

Besides the storytelling dynamics and tone, there's also the factor of distance. Arrow, Flash, and the rest of those shows film in Vancouver while Black Lightning shoots in Atlanta. Crossovers with BL aren't out of the question, but they're harder to schedule.

If nothing else, I really really hope the Pierce gang get to be on the annual crossover in November/December.

VIDEO: Just how old are the X-Men in the movies? A Mathematical Analysis
DawnWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #471
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnWarrior View Post
Besides the storytelling dynamics and tone, there's also the factor of distance. Arrow, Flash, and the rest of those shows film in Vancouver while Black Lightning shoots in Atlanta. Crossovers with BL aren't out of the question, but they're harder to schedule.
It took some doing, but they managed the Flash introduction in Supergirl - though granted, it took Grant some traveling time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnWarrior View Post
If nothing else, I really really hope the Pierce gang get to be on the annual crossover in November/December.
Honestly, I wish they'd ditch these massive crossover episodes. I don't mind two part episodes, but I feel as though three, four, and now, potentially five lose appeal because they're so much of a cluster****.

There's just too many characters to write for, and because of that, many characters (usually those not specific to the other shows) are left out without any explanation. I'd much rather them limit the crossover events and the people involved in them.

If there's a crossover between Arrow & Flash, maybe limit it to the likes of Ollie, Felicity, Barry, Iris and maybe Joe as the main characters for the episode with everyone else taking a backseat.

As fun as Legends is, there's always the reoccurring theme where certain characters aren't used to their potential; because they're all important in their own right, and then once a year (or more) they try to throw all these characters together and I'm afraid to say it gets sloppy.

I'd much rather them they focus on smaller crossover events; there's no reason Ollie can't have a crossover with Barry at the start of the year, then another one with Pierce toward the end of the year, whereas you'd maybe have Barry & Supergirl at the end of the year - it's not like a crossover between Kara & Ollie would work on it's own though, so on those instances, have a triple episode arc, but the inclusion of the Legends for one is just too damn much!

Old 04-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #472
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

The last crossover worked much better.

That said, due to where Black Lightning is filmed, it is unlikely to participate in the big one.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #473
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Hard to believe we're already at the finale in a few days, so now this and Legends will be done for the season. While I'm glad that we'll have Supergirl back in the meantime, Black Lightning has been a real breath of fresh air as far as the DCCW shows and had a very strong first season. Hoping it ends on a high note.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #474
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I wonder if they will have Black Lightning return in October and not be simply a mid-season replacement like this year. Legends started off in the same way, only debuting mid season, but then the following year ran from October.

I'd rather have a longer Black Lightning than a longer Legends. This season feels a little rushed towards the end and could have done with two to three more episodes.

Unlike the Netflix shows where these have often felt padded out to 13 but move really slowly, BL has moved at a much brisker pace. What has happened in this season is almost the equivalent of 2 seasons' worth of episodes for a Marvel Netflix show.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #475
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

The CW will have 2 extra hours to slot shows next season. I think the head of the network will probably have some resistance to airing too many superhero shows.