The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Luke Cage

Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #76
Broseph44
Witness Me

Default Re: FULL SEASON ONE Discussion (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY)

Loved this series! Marvel and Netflix are 3 for 3 for me. DD is still the top for me. But JJ and Luke are great. Loving this Netflix universe and hownits connected overall to the MCU. Can't wait for Iron Fist, Punisher, more JJ more DD and Defenders!

Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #77
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Aloha,
Saw the series twice this weekend. Loved most of it. Marvel now has proof positive that sound tracks can add a great deal to their movies.That Luke Cage was going for some of the Blaxploitation movie feel of the 70's was perfect. There were times when I felt like I was watching the original Shaft . In the original Shaft he comes out of the train station and talks to a blind newspaper man. Luke does something similar with the blind man that warns him that the land lady is looking for him. My biggest nerd issue, is why is no one in Harlem talking about the time the Hulk and the Abomination tore up 125th st? If they are selling DVD's of the Incident(Avengers) then certainly someone should have DVD's of Hulk tearing the streets up and the army shooting up peoples roofs trying to stop him. Can't wait for season 2 of Luke Cage.
Spidey rules except in Wakanda

Donald Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #78
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
You just described why I LOVED Diamondback.

I personally didn't like Cottonmouth. I thought he was too similar to Kingpin up to and including his backstory.

If there's a second season (ans there should be since Season 1 broke Netflix), I hope that we see some more threatening villains who can actually hurt Cage.

Considering that Doctor Burnstein may be able to create multiple Luke Cages after getting hold of Diamondback, I feel like Warhawk and Atlas are possible now. (Maybe not Warhawk. His rights may be over at Fox.) Atlas should be a priority since he needs to be introduced as a villain before Thunderbolts can be a thing.

It's obvious that Mariah and Shades are coming back. I hope that we get to meet Shades' teenage son, Victor.

And of course, Chemistro. He's Luke's greatest enemy. it would feel weird to not have him.

And considering that Season 2 is going to happen after the events of Defenders, I expect Alias Investigations to renamed Heroes for Hire and for Luke to take on the role of being a professional superhero.
I don't think Alias investigations will become Hero For Hire.

I think Pop's barbers will become Heroes For Hire.

It felt like Diamondback was a merger of comic Diamondback, Coldfire (Luke's older brother) and Hardcore (power suit and trash talking).

With Doctor Burnstein showing up the hospital I think he will turn Stryker into Power Master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
I liked Cottonmouth, felt like he died too soon. Mariah just never felt like a credible threat throughout the entire season. Her character just felt like almost nothing when compared to the other antagonists. Almost like she was, for a lack of a better term, going with the flow.

Diamondback was good but I feel he went too crazy too soon. The season built him up to be a criminal mastermind that had Shade's complete trust and Cottonmouth's fear. But immediately Shade starts questioning him, this would work better if we saw why Shades had so much loyalty to begin with. That undercuts him as a mastermind but fortunately not as a threat.
I assume Diamondback's obsession with Cage brings the worst out in him and he is probably slightly more mentally stable usually which is why Shades would be cool with following him before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Diamondback was just too one-note. Dude's entire attitude was set to hate. Best example is their exchange in the club. Cage asks him if they couldn't have made amends a long time ago. Diamondback's response "Couldn't you have died during child birth?". Cage expresses that he felt sorry about Dana and how he always liked her. Diamondback call's Cage's mom a bi**h. That's the moment when I was just rolling my eyes.

With Cornell, you had a guy who would shoot his own henchmen for making stupid suggestions, or do other gangster **** like beating the life out of someone who stole money from him. But he would also shed tears for pops, and try to do right by him by taking over all the costs for his funeral. He was a person that would respect history, and if possible follow the rules that used to exist in this crime business. There was just so much more range with him.
I enjoyed Diamondback in the show but I prefer comic Diamondback's backstory and motivation for hating Cage. In the comics he grew to hate Carl because he saved his life from a Maggia hit (which Stryker felt embarrassed him) and because he thought Carl stole Reva from him by poisoning her against him. He also thought Cage quitting the gang life made him soft.

James Lucas Jr (Cage brother in the comics) hated his younger brother because he got their mother killed (a gang member killed cage mom and Cage refused to testify/snitch). Carl was the black sheep of the family always getting into fist fights and getting into trouble with local hoodlums like Stryker. James Jr tried to keep Cage away from his father because he thought he was dangerous and would get him killed like he did their mother. He got superpowers so that he could fight his brother.

Last edited by chamber-music; 10-05-2016 at 02:43 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #79
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

really liked this series but imo
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the show dipped in quality once they killed cotton mouth he was a superior villain

diamonback was kinda weak he reminded me too much of blofeld in spectre aka daddy issues villain

i did love the diamonback/cage fight scene it was like a super powered craig vs debo from friday

shades was awesome

i think i liked jessica jones series better even tho i liked luke cage as a character more

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #80
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I think the fight in Friday was actually more exciting

Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #81
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I assume Diamondback's obsession with Cage brings the worst out in him and he is probably slightly more mentally stable usually which is why Shades would be cool with following him before.
That's exactly what happens. I just feel we should have seen him become more and more unhinged than just introduce him as crazy right off the back.

Random490 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:34 AM   #82
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

I think we will probably get some crazy awesome fight scenes and action set pieces in the Defenders. It would be cool to see Luke not holding back and just pummeling hordes of Hand zombie ninjas.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #83
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Random thing I noticed: The lawyer who represented Kingpin and Cottonmouth is Big Ben Donovan from the comics. I never noticed that until now.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #84
Brother Jack
Believer

I couldn't help but feel bad for Cottonmouth, as much of a murdering bastard as he was. He just keeps taking losses from Cage. He fails at practically everything and then gets offed by his own family. I do think the season lost something when he went out, despite how bold of a twist it was. Diamondback was more of a generic caricature of a villain with a kind of underdeveloped connection to Luke.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #85
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jack View Post
I couldn't help but feel bad for Cottonmouth, as much of a murdering bastard as he was. He just keeps taking losses from Cage. He fails at practically everything and then gets offed by his own family. I do think the season lost something when he went out, despite how bold of a twist it was. Diamondback was more of a generic caricature of a villain with a kind of underdeveloped connection to Luke.
I agree. I did feel a lot more for Cottonmouth than I did for Diamondback. To me there was just too much of a disconnect with Diamondback's actions. He just seemed cruel because he likes it not because he actually was a good kid who made one mistake, hardly even a terrible one and the system chewed him up and spit him out.

The thing is this show took us on Cottonmouth's journey. We may not agree with his actions but we understand them. And then just after that they off him.

With Wilson Fisk, it's the same thing. A part of him is still that little kid who is haunted by his overbearing and abusive father. So when he gets angry, it's like a little kid who has been pushed too far past the point of caring about his actions. You don't kill Fisk you send him to prison. But then what happens?

For Wilson Fisk, prison isn't even a defeat. Prison is merely an opportunity for him to clear his head and re-think his strategy. Fisk basically turned prison into his new base of operations. He could've killed Murdock in that interrogation room and could've gotten it covered up easily. He's holding the cards yet again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I didn't believe Diamondback's truth in revenge for Luke Cage. But how convenient is it that he becomes a superhero, Diamondback becomes a super villain. Not only that, Luke Cage ends up moving to Harlem and working for Cornell Stokes, who is his half-brother's top weapons seller and close friend. I maybe wouldn't have had Cage working for Cottonmouth because it just makes the coincidences and conveniences mount up way too much.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #86
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

I thought the first 7 episodes were the best first 7 episodes of all the Marvel Netflix shows so far.

- Mahershala Ali deserves an Emmy nomination. That was some De Niro-esque acting on display.

- Shades was evil-Adam Sandler he did a good job thumbs up!

- Diamondback was a very campy, one dimensional, unsympathetic, poorly written and under-developed character. The exact opposite of Cottonmouth. His voice sounded like a typical villain from a Saturday morning cartoon and I felt like I was watching a DC CW TV show whenever he was onscreen.

As grounded as the show felt at times and the Godfather-esque vibe from Cottonmouth, Diamobdback made the show feel like a sad caricature. From the moment Cottonmouth died, the quality of the show (production wise and story wise went downhill). If I had my way, I would have cast Tony Todd as Diamondback or just retrofit Cottonmouth to be the main bad guy for the first season like Kingpin and Purple Man were.

- overall I am very excited for The Defenders. Mike Colter exceeded my expectations and was the most relatable Defender so far as he seems like a normal every day guy.

- Misty was a scene stealer and deserves her own series. What a talented actress!

Music was sublime. Best use of music by Marvel ever.

- RIP Pops amazing character gave the show heart.

First 8 episodes: 10/10

Last 5 episodes: 5/10

Overall 8/10

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK

Last edited by Stark Bauer; 10-07-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #87
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Random thing I noticed: The lawyer who represented Kingpin and Cottonmouth is Big Ben Donovan from the comics. I never noticed that until now.
Wow. I didn't know he was Big Ben Donovan. I don't recall them ever saying his name so I thought he was just a made up for TV character. Cool to see another Marvel character on the screen anyway.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #88
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

I agree with the idea that the series was doing great until Cottonmouth was offed. Diamondback was hammy as f***. Took a dip after that.

Colter is great as Cage though.

Swallow flies south before the fall, before the winter can call...
Can call in each borrower - for what was given

--Serenity in Motion--
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #89
javonstokess
Side-Kick

I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Diamondback.

IMO, he was "Luke's Joker".

I'm glad that they developed a rogue's gallery for Luke where all his villains were distinct in their own right.

I get why most seem to not like him though. Ali did such a good job with his role. It's almost the same thing as Daredevil season 2 where people loved Frank's half of the season and weren't so hot on Elektra's.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #90
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I liked him too. I'm actually shocked so many people don't.

To me, one point of praise for me is they were able to wrap up the Cottonmouth story and find a good story to replace it for the second half that was still interesting (compared to Jessica Jones, which I give credit for trying but I don't think they succeeded as well).

Old 10-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #91
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:

To me, one point of praise for me is they were able to wrap up the Cottonmouth story and find a good story to replace it for the second half that was still interesting (compared to Jessica Jones, which I give credit for trying but I don't think they succeeded as well).
IMO, that's how not just the Marvel Netflix shows, but all the comics-related shows should format.

A villain for start of the season and a villain for the end.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #92
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:

I didn't hate Diamondback at all. But they set up Stokes as such an intriguing and empathetic character. And then Diamondback comes in for the back half and he just never really quite matched the heights that Cottonmouth did.

Let's also not forget that Coker hyped up Cottonmouth a lot...and then this happens.

- CM Punk
Old 10-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #93
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

I think Diamondback was deliberately introduced to offer something different to Cottonmouth. I've heard some people say they expected Cottonmouth to stick around for possibly another season but to me I always thought he would not last the season. Cottonmouth's position was in jeopardy as soon as he got robbed. Everything cottonmouth did from then on was just trying to survive but I knew eventually his luck would run out.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #94
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I didn't hate Diamondback at all. But they set up Stokes as such an intriguing and empathetic character. And then Diamondback comes in for the back half and he just never really quite matched the heights that Cottonmouth did.

Let's also not forget that Coker hyped up Cottonmouth a lot...and then this happens.
He was hyped and deservedly so. He made quite an impact for six and a half episodes. Maybe he wouldn't have kept up the same high-water mark for all 13.

I also appreciate that they kept Diamondback mostly under wraps. Based on the set photos, I thought he would be in one scene and be a throwaway character, not be a looming presence that becomes real in the back half.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #95
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:

Agreed.

As much as I loved Cottonmouth, I don't think he posed a big enough threat to Luke to last the whole season. I guess the writers could have come up with a scenario where he got his hands on the Jesus bullets but I give them major props for taking a bolder, riskier route. And the way they were able to execute that twist and transition into the next arc with Diamondback, weaving in all the different characters, was just really impressive, I think. It's one of the main reasons why this show stands above DD and JJ for me.

Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:19 AM   #96
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
He was hyped and deservedly so. He made quite an impact for six and a half episodes. Maybe he wouldn't have kept up the same high-water mark for all 13.

I also appreciate that they kept Diamondback mostly under wraps. Based on the set photos, I thought he would be in one scene and be a throwaway character, not be a looming presence that becomes real in the back half.
It was a bait and switch. It was a let down to see such an amazing character go away so quickly and replaced by a lesser villain.

- CM Punk
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #97
Sundancer
Cynicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It was a bait and switch. It was a let down to see such an amazing character go away so quickly and replaced by a lesser villain.
I'm not sure I'd call Diamondback inferior though I did get an "Iron Man 3" vibe from the switch off.

I heard "Spurlock" mentioned throughout the show but couldn't figure out who this was....?

Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #98
Brawl
Side-Kick

LOVED IT BEST SERIES YET!!!

This series put Marvel on another level. Talking as a black man this was amazing to watch. All the references to black famous heroes and black literature was AMAZING!! The soundtrack was the best of any MARVEL product that's ever been out. PERIOD!The way they show the rich tapestry of black life in all its contradictions was original as hell. The barber shop in inner city black life is the almost a holy spot. I used to get my hair cut at the same barber that would cut people like roger craig from the 49ers out in east pal alto. it didnt matter who you were everyone was treated the same. Mr. Price the barber there would whup kids if they acted up in the shop like they were his own kids. This show was REAL and inspirational. All black cast in front of cameras and behind was mind blowing! Luke Cage was done PROPER!

Brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #99
writer0327
Side-Kick

I agree with those who liked Diamondback, I honestly thought the series got vastly more interesting when he showed up and started offing everyone. It added some much needed grit and danger to the series. Honestly, every time I saw Diamondback on screen, I expected someone to get smoked.

1. Avengers: Infinity War - 2. Mortal Engines - 3. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 4. Black Panther - 5. Solo
6. Incredibles 2 - 7. Aquaman - 8. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - 9. Ready Player One - 10. Rampage
writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #100
The Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
Was it just me that was feeling throughout the entire show that things were happening for no reason and characters would just do things without there really being a reason why?

I don't know, it's really hard to explain what felt wrong about the writing in this.

Like Luke Cage becomes a celebrity, kind of, about 4 or 5 episodes in. And everyone knows that he's a bulletproof vigilante. And people are just fine with this? Shouldn't he have been arrested way sooner in that case?

There were tons of other moments where I was just asking myself "wait, why is this happening?".
I felt like that. I also thought some of the acting was a little off. Diamond back seemed pointless to me. It felt like things were happening for happening sake and felt more like filler. With Dare devil and J.J I felt emotionally tied to the characters...even the villains, I sort of understood why they were the way the were, but the Luke Cage villains I didn't care, it felt really cheesy and hammed up a lot of the time. Diamondback consisted of cheesy monologues and phrases that almost belong in a Saturday morning cartoon. A lot of the scenes consisted of people repeating and shouting Luke Cages name over and over for the sake of it...I was really disappointed with the season.

The Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote