The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Infinity War

View Poll Results: How much will Infinity War 1 make WORLDWIDE?
Over $2.5B worldwide 10 3.91%
$2.0B - $2.5B 25 9.77%
$1.8B - $2.0B 50 19.53%
$1.6B - $1.8B 76 29.69%
$1.4B - $1.6B 59 23.05%
$1.2B - $1.4B 24 9.38%
$1B - $1.2B 9 3.52%
Under $1B worldwide 3 1.17%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #176
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film) - Part 3

Is horror as big now as it was in the 80's? Of course there are hits like get out but as a GENRE horror isn't as big as it was. The superhero genre is huge right now but with over saturation, Marvel releasing 4 movies a year, DC potentially 2 a year, that's 6 a year. That doesn't include Sony (Spider-Man universe) Image properties (Spawn) Dark Horse (Hellboy) Vertigo (Sandman Constantine). The returns are going to diminish especially when the novelty of shared universes wears off.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #177
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Is horror as big now as it was in the 80's? Of course there are hits like get out but as a GENRE horror isn't as big as it was. The superhero genre is huge right now but with over saturation, Marvel releasing 4 movies a year, DC potentially 2 a year, that's 6 a year. That doesn't include Sony (Spider-Man universe) Image properties (Spawn) Dark Horse (Hellboy) Vertigo (Sandman Constantine). The returns are going to diminish especially when the novelty of shared universes wears off.
Isn't Marvel releasing three a year? This year is Panther, Infinity War and Antman/Wasp.

Surely you are not counting the Fox DeadPool as a Marvel release.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #178
Flemm
Side-Kick

Peaks and valleys will happen, but that's a separate thing from a particular type of story becoming dated in a fundamental way.

That certainly hasn't happened with horror, which is still popular and relevant.

It could happen with the idea of superheroes, but that type of thing is hard to foresee. It depends on larger cultural changes. The Western being hard to revive isn't because of over-saturation, it has to do with a shift in perception with regard to the subject matter.

Superheroes won't be the trendy thing on a permanent basis, but the idea will probably remain relevant unless the culture as a whole ends up rejecting the concept for reasons that aren't clear at the moment.

Last edited by Flemm; 06-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #179
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Diminishing returns is a completely different topic and absolutely no reason for concern. The current 2 MCU films could make half as much and still be successes. We currently have some of the top films ever so diminishing returns are to be expected at some point, as with anything that has huge success.

Are you talking about superhero films going the way of the Western or just at some point only making loads of money rather than ****loads of money? Are you predicting them to start making losses regularly and if so when are we talking? If it’s more than 20 years away then I think we should move on from this topic as it seems rather pointless. If around the 10 year mark call it and we’ll see. I’ll be ready to admit you were right and I was wrong but I still predict the MCU will still be going strong and having a very big film every few years at that point.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #180
Iceman
Infinity War!

$1,182,541 on Tuesday, down only 24% from last week.

$657,241,872 total domestic now.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #181
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Yep, it took like 30-40 years for genre fatigue to kill Westerns.
And I'll bet when superheroes do go the way of the western, said westerns will have been out of style for so long that they'll have a resurgence to fill the void superheroes leave behind. Because that hole that both have filled isn't going to go away.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #182
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

I don't think the comparison to westerns work. You've seen one western, you've pretty much seen all westerns (Guy with a gun out in the wild west fights bad guys). There're very limited things you can do with the genre, whereas with comic book movies you've got a ton more variety. Action/adventure, heist movie, espionage thriller, space opera, etc. The Western is the Western, but comic book movies can encompass most every other genre, which goes a long way towards keeping things fresh and new (And yes, I'm still waiting for the superhero romantic comedy).

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 AM   #183
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I don't expect a huge drop, but I expect a small drop. Plus, let's say like Iron Man dies or something. That's a bold risk and could stop repeat viewings. Same for Cap, Thor, or insert favorite Avenger here. With IW, despite the ending I think the audience felt like another part was coming. With A4, that's it. It's a conclusion. So something like that may put people off.

I dunno. If it really serves as a conclusion and the last appearance for some of the leads, I think it will create a bump on the positive side in terms of BO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
I don't think the comparison to westerns work. You've seen one western, you've pretty much seen all westerns (Guy with a gun out in the wild west fights bad guys). There're very limited things you can do with the genre, whereas with comic book movies you've got a ton more variety. Action/adventure, heist movie, espionage thriller, space opera, etc. The Western is the Western, but comic book movies can encompass most every other genre, which goes a long way towards keeping things fresh and new (And yes, I'm still waiting for the superhero romantic comedy).

Didn't they say that is what Ant Man & The Wasp will be?

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #184
redoptics
Side-Kick

Don't think 'fatigue' will ever kick in now, because we are getting superhero movies wrapped in other genre's

redoptics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:26 AM   #185
Zyraquis
Side-Kick

There was also a superhero film crossed over to Western that came out last year too. The only limitation is the imagination and creativity. I could imagine a low cost superhero romcom to be successful too depends on the characters and story.

Zyraquis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #186
Murdock103
Side-Kick

I’ve never particularly like the term ‘superhero fatigue’ but I take issue with the superhero part rather than the fatigue.

To imply superhero fatigue, implies that there is a superhero genre, and I actually don’t think that’s accurate.
We have a comic book genre right now, and those comic books can encompass any and all other cinematic genres from romantic comedies to sci fi to westerns themselves.

Murdock103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 AM   #187
Adder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquespy View Post
"it happened to horror" LOL

Last edited by Adder; 06-14-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #188
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
"it happened to horror" LOL
Horror is no longer a dominant genre compared to the late 80's.
A handful of hits you can count on one hand doesn't change that.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #189
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

There's still several horror releases every year. The quality just isn't there anymore.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #190
Zyraquis
Side-Kick

There are still stand outs like IT last year, a quiet place this year?

Zyraquis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #191
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

There have been many horror hits in the 2000s and beyond. The Saw films were huge, Paranormal Activity's movies were huge, etc. The quality may not always be there, but horror films make money. Have for a while.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #192
Superhero 101
DESI

And let’s not forget about the conjuring franchise

Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #193
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Westerns themselves I've always likened to a sub-genre of the more broad Adventure genre(far away..or ago, places and things which you can't really experience but can through the genre works). I'd say historical epics also qualify as an adventure sub-genre. Superhero is just a framework that you can fill with anything you can imagine. That should allow for more flexibility and thus longevity.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #194
ultradog
Side-Kick

I don't think that there was Western fatigue after 30-40 years of those films. They just got largely outdated when new technology allowed for a bigger variety of films, and westerns shrunk back to a suitable (small) size genre. Before special effects and other film tech advancements allowed for cool car chases, explosions, etc., and sci-fi and fantasy were allowed to expand greatly due to computers, there just wasn't that much variety available for adventure films, which will always be very popular.

Superhero "fatigue" won't happen until something better comes along, or is invented, in the way of adventure to replace it.

But from another angle, I already have DCEU and X-Men fatigue...

ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #195
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

Many of the greatest films ever made are Westerns. I'll never get fatigued.

Kuwolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #196
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradog View Post
I don't think that there was Western fatigue after 30-40 years of those films. They just got largely outdated when new technology allowed for a bigger variety of films, and westerns shrunk back to a suitable (small) size genre. Before special effects and other film tech advancements allowed for cool car chases, explosions, etc., and sci-fi and fantasy were allowed to expand greatly due to computers, there just wasn't that much variety available for adventure films, which will always be very popular.

Superhero "fatigue" won't happen until something better comes along, or is invented, in the way of adventure to replace it.

But from another angle, I already have DCEU and X-Men fatigue...
Wonder Woman was great and frankly the X-men movies was the Wolverine show so the sooner Marvel get their hands on that franchise the better.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #197
Limonade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradog View Post
Yup! 1000% agree.

I believe that proper video game adaptations are next up in the public sphere of film popularity.

Though, I also believe it'll take the next generation of filmmakers to crack that egg wide open. Not this current slate, unfortunately.

Limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #198
ultradog
Side-Kick

Getting back to "business", I've seen early estimates of $4.7-5M for IW this weekend. Based strictly on how it has been consistently running ahead of GotG2 dailies from the same time last year, I would expect $5.5M or better. GotG2 actually did better on Father's Day Sunday than the Sunday prior, so let's see if IW can match that feat and beat $2.4M on Sunday.

Anything less than $5.5M will be the effect of Incredibles 2 vs. last years GotG2 new competitor, which was the much less popular Cars 3.

This is also the weekend that GotG2 lost over 1000 theaters, so that will probably happen to IW, as we'll find out later today.

*** UPDATE *** IW only lost 718 theaters vs. the 1098 GotG2 lost. That's a great sign for increasingly good legs vs. GotG2.

Last edited by ultradog; 06-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.
ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #199
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limonade View Post
Yup! 1000% agree.

I believe that proper video game adaptations are next up in the public sphere of film popularity
When was the last time a good superhero video game besides The Arkham series came out?

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=543867

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747
BigThor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #200
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

There was never really any serious attempts to make AAA titles before that series. Thankfully that's changed because there is a large untapped market just waiting to be won over.

Kuwolski is offline   Reply With Quote