Easy allies really loved the demo.

https://youtu.be/E0aali33Tdg

24:30

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #27
The Slang
Side-Kick

Default Re: Spider-Man (PS4) - Part 3

Well, once again, there won't be any chain-swinging. Meaning: you can't shoot a second web line mid-swing. I really am flabbergasted by this.

EVERY single game since Spider-man 2 has been missing this feature. Every single one. I really don't get it. Spider-man is always depicted chain-swinging. It's the only way to possibly change your trajectory mid swing. There's a great example in the first Spider-man movie, where he uses a second line to prevent himself hitting the building:

skip to 1:14

I can't stress how much the absence of this small feature has disappointed me. I don't want to buy a ps2 just so I can experience accurate web swinging.

The Slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #28
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

So I don't play many games that often. I really got into "Sleeping Dog's" My PS3 does it's job just fine but I can feel like i'm getting left out on stuff that looks interesting

Star Wars Battlefront PS4 for example

So for a newb like me. What makes this Spider-man PS4 game better than my Amazing Spider-man PS3 game?

The fighting is probably better.

From first glance the swinging looks pretty much the same.

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #29
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Smile Re: Spider-Man (PS4) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
So I don't play many games that often. I really got into "Sleeping Dog's" My PS3 does it's job just fine but I can feel like i'm getting left out on stuff that looks interesting

So for a newb like me. What makes this Spider-man PS4 game better than my Amazing Spider-man PS3 game?

Well for one it doesn't have any hints of those crap movies in it, even though those games basically ignored both movies.

This looks way more polished and finished. You could tell with ASM2 especially it was a movie game and it was rushed. The swinging was good but it wasn't as fluid or nice as you'd want it to be. The first game had great looking swinging but it was done just by holding a button.
The game also looks better of course, the city is way more detailed and there looks like there is way more to do. Gadgets added to combat etc as well as more environment interaction during fights. He seems less ground based too.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #30
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Someone whose opinions on Spider-Man games are ones I agree with for the most part, yeah I heard of him.

I wouldn't call this game perfect, and I came to think that the first TASM game is pretty boring recently.

Perching and sticking people to walls happened in Web of Shadows.
I meant perching like when he is crouched on a pole or a building corner. That started with Shattered Dimensions. This game looks like it adapted Web Rush too.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #31
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

The game is on a completely different level to anything that came before. Aside from the accounts online of people who have actually played the game, it seems painfully obvious to me just from the trailers.

Kuwolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #32
Spider-man95
*Thwip*

Some gifs from the reddit!

Spider-Man interacting with civilians
https://i.imgur.com/E6p0Ehv.gifv

Map size
https://i.imgur.com/n9bxnLc.gifv

Also Spidey can swim lol
https://i.imgur.com/KMNgFJL.gifv

Old 06-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #33
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slang View Post
Well, once again, there won't be any chain-swinging. Meaning: you can't shoot a second web line mid-swing. I really am flabbergasted by this.

EVERY single game since Spider-man 2 has been missing this feature. Every single one. I really don't get it. Spider-man is always depicted chain-swinging. It's the only way to possibly change your trajectory mid swing. There's a great example in the first Spider-man movie, where he uses a second line to prevent himself hitting the building:

skip to 1:14

I can't stress how much the absence of this small feature has disappointed me. I don't want to buy a ps2 just so I can experience accurate web swinging.
Yeah, this game isn't really pushing the envelope in terms of innovation. It's largely derivative of all the past games. Same basic gameplay mechanics, same web swinging, same basic combat system from TASM. I think it's gonna be awhile before we get something that truly pushes the envelope and redefines what a Spider-Man game can be, like SM2 did at the time.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
Yeah, this game isn't really pushing the envelope in terms of innovation. It's largely derivative of all the past games. Same basic gameplay mechanics, same web swinging, same basic combat system from TASM. I think it's gonna be awhile before we get something that truly pushes the envelope and redefines what a Spider-Man game can be, like SM2 did at the time.

Perhaps a VR immersive Spider-man game?

When you start to swing you can have a first person type view. Once you stop swinging you're back to third person perspective?

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #35
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post
I meant perching like when he is crouched on a pole or a building corner. That started with Shattered Dimensions. This game looks like it adapted Web Rush too.
Web rush is the impression I got from their web zip animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-man95 View Post
Some gifs from the reddit!

Also Spidey can swim lol
https://i.imgur.com/KMNgFJL.gifv
EEEYYYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSS.
Welcome back swimming.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #36
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's so derivative and bad, everyone who has played it is raving about it, getting awards left and right and being already considered a GOTY contender.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #37
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

That's one big ass map this game has.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #38
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
It's so derivative and bad, everyone who has played it is raving about it, getting awards left and right and being already considered a GOTY contender.
Saying it's not inventive is not the same as saying it's bad. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick View Post
That's one big ass map this game has.
Oh yeah, it kinda combines both SM2 and USM area maps.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #39
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Saying it's not inventive is not the same as saying it's bad. LOL.

Oh yeah, it kinda combines both SM2 and USM area maps.
On the other hand, people who say it isn't innovative rarely offer innovative solutions, if anything at all.

VR is obvious at some point, but even Webb hinted at that in the first 2011 TASM trailer.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #40
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I mean there have been so many spiderman games, I'm not saying its impossible to reinvent the wheel when it comes to spiderman but there have been loads of great ideas surrounded by terrible games. I see nothing wrong with improving on what worked before.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #41
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I mean there have been so many spiderman games, I'm not saying its impossible to reinvent the wheel when it comes to spiderman but there have been loads of great ideas surrounded by terrible games. I see nothing wrong with improving on what worked before.
Exactly. There are certain defining elements that will always be present in a Spidey game, so as long as they are constantly refined and improved upon then I'm happy. Plus there are people who have actually played the game and praised it, the game itself has already won E3 awards, but let's ignore all that because Spidey is swinging in a similar fashion to SM2.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #42
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
Never said it was bad. Just that it's the same thing we've been getting since 2004. There's been no to attempt to try something new. This game is a mishmash of different elements from old games. Web rush, QTA and the combat system are all derived from TASM games. The web swinging is derived from all pre-TASM games. The wallrunning is derived straight from TASM (Looks the same way too)

That doesnt mean it's bad, the game looks polished to a tee and people are clearly loving it. But there's nothing new here. Every single thing in this game is derivative of old games. Particularly TASM games.

Like I said, it will be years before we get something truly inventive, something that pushes the envelope of a Spider-Man experience. I like the VR/First Person swinging idea that Gold Samurai suggested. It would be cool to get a completely new combat system, one where maybe it takes two or three hits take guys down. But most importantly, more complex web swinging mechanics with chain-swinging. Something more cinematic like the movies

Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #43
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

I don't think I'd even bother playing a VR/First Person Spider-Man game. I find First Person to be awkward almost every time I've had to endure it in a game I was playing.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #44
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

Quote:
Never said it was bad. Just that it's the same thing we've been getting since 2004. There's been no to attempt to try something new. This game is a mishmash of different elements from old games. Web rush, QTA and the combat system are all derived from TASM games. The web swinging is derived from all pre-TASM games. The wallrunning is derived straight from TASM (Looks the same way too)

That doesnt mean it's bad, the game looks polished to a tee and people are clearly loving it. But there's nothing new here. Every single thing in this game is derivative of old games. Particularly TASM games.

Like I said, it will be years before we get something truly inventive, something that pushes the envelope of a Spider-Man experience. I like the VR/First Person swinging idea that Gold Samurai suggested. It would be cool to get a completely new combat system, one where maybe it takes two or three hits take guys down. But most importantly, more complex web swinging mechanics with chain-swinging. Something more cinematic like the movies
Same old, same old Spidey

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

We've never seen this before

Last edited by Kuwolski; 06-14-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #45
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwolski View Post
Same old, same old Spidey

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

We've never seen this before
I personally this game is being overrated and overhyped but hey, that's what people enjoy so I'll leave you guys be.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #46
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

How could it have been overrated if you or most haven't played it? And how is it over hyped when it's gotten nothing but positive buzz since it was announced? Just curious.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #47
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Visually it looks on a level we've not seen before, the gameplay looks superior to what's gone before, it feels more like a Spidey game than ever before, the natural fit of aesthetic base & control looks beyond what any game has given us before, I'm sorry how can this be 'over-rated' and less of what has been released prior on any PS format. If you are not excited for this game as a gamer, as a Spider-man fan, then check your pulse.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #48
webhead731
I'm a photographer

I think Spider-Man 3 still has the biggest map before this game. Especially since it gave you subways and a sewer. What I like about that NYC is how wide it is, how many buildings there are and how they are so big and canyon like.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #49
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post

I dont know how any one can say swinging looks the same with a straight face it looks complete different and better. The speed and the pysicis look night and day better then any Spiderman game other then maybe Spiderman 2.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #50
Nathan

He did say on first glance. And I admit, on first glance, it does look similar, if not exactly like Amazing Spider-Man. Including the zipping to perch points. Insomniac basically carried everything over that Beenox did with their game. Even the stealth gameplay, minus the gadgets, looks like it's lifted straight from Amazing Spider-Man. So if you haven't followed the game at all, it's a valid question to ask what makes this game different from the last two games.

I'd like to say that Insomniac improved on the web-swinging. The combat seems vastly improved, and with the added web gadgets, makes for a far more engaging experience. The world seems a lot more alive than it ever did in any Spider-Man before. Way better world building, since they are allowed to use Spidey's entire comic history to craft their own personal story. Then there's the obvious graphics that are out of this world, when you compare it to the last two games. I'd say it's basically the first triple A Spider-Man game, that isn't being rushed to hit a specific deadline.

So if you enjoyed the Amazing Spider-Man on PS3, there's no doubt you'll end up in love with Insomniac's Spider-Man.