The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #401
Random490
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
Neither the Doctor Doom or Future Foundation projects have been confirmed...I don't know where you've heard rumors of a Power Pack or Black Widow film for Phase 4 and maybe Gunn teased a Ravagers film as a joke? Your post is very, very speculative but I agree that the MCU is running out of characters that can carry their own film.
I believe the showrunner of Legion has said he's making a pitch for Doom. Future Foundation and Power Pack are from inside sources to be in development. Development means also nothing until it's green lit. As for Black Widow all that's been said is that it hasn't been ruled out.

I don't think Marvel is no where near running out of characters, I remember when the press considered Iron Man a B-list character. And by the time they do "run out" audience will probably be ready for new actors to take on previous roles.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #402
NealKenneth
Banned User

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
the press considered Iron Man a B-list character. And by the time they do "run out" audience will probably be ready for new actors to take on previous roles.
The press were fools! Iron Man had been one of Marvel's A-listers for 50 years...and the only character left who is even a B-lister is Nova. But some of these characters have at least another trilogy in them, even if it means recasting.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #403
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
We know that the FF aren't reverting thanks to the Doctor Doom and Future Foundation films. Matthew Vaughn directing is actually a good idea. Much like Noah Hawley, I approve of this choice. The rights to the Fantastic Four aren't reverting. Fox won't cancel all their film franchises just to introduce their characters in the MCU. The best thing for both companies is for Marvel to start producing Fantastic Four and X-Men merch again and Fox to agree to a two-part event that would merge universes/continuities.

Right now I hope that Fox greenlight a Silver Surfer film and X-Factor TV show.

Look at what properties Marvel have left to develop. Phase 4 rumors include Black Widow, Ravagers and Power Pack as new film franchises (I also feel like Nova and Namor are possible and there can be a one-and-done Black Knight film). Blade, Ghost Rider, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Elektra, Werewolf by Night, She-Hulk Avengers Academy and Man-Thing all fit the TV side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe better. Wonder Man only really has Grim Reaper as a major villain and he'd work better as a supporting character for the Avengers. Same goes for Sentry who only has Void. Silverclaw, Tigra, Synapse, Spectrum, Sersi, Starfox and Blue Marvel are all better off as supporting characters for the Avengers. White Tiger is better off as a supporting character for the Defenders. Marvel are running out of characters to make new franchises out of. They'll need to cut a deal with Fox at some point.

We don't know that. Not sure if serious.

In case you are being serious, I don't think you know how business works. Fox would be very careful to lose more money...if I were Fox i would make threats as well hoping for Marvel to make a deal. Otherwise it's way too risky to invest millions of dollars into another comic book movie. Even if they go low budget they will stil lose money. It's lose lose for Fox they have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #404
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
I don't think Marvel is no where near running out of characters, I remember when the press considered Iron Man a B-list character. And by the time they do "run out" audience will probably be ready for new actors to take on previous roles.
Quote:
The press were fools! Iron Man had been one of Marvel's A-listers for 50 years...and the only character left who is even a B-lister is Nova. But some of these characters have at least another trilogy in them, even if it means recasting.
Just find a character with a yet to be mined gimmick. That's why the comics are all over the place on who's now this or that hero/villain instead of propping up old/new characters with their own unique quirks.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #405
VenomsMom
Side-Kick

Fox has lost all support it had from fans of FF. Nobody wants alternate versions. Nobody wants spinoffs. We want all those cool villains in the MCU. The only way to ressurrect this dead franchise is an announcement of sorts from Fox and Marvel. Who the hell would care for a Surfer or Future Foundation film if its just a Fox project. Good luck with butts in those theatre seats.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #406
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
I believe the showrunner of Legion has said he's making a pitch for Doom. Future Foundation and Power Pack are from inside sources to be in development. Development means also nothing until it's green lit. As for Black Widow all that's been said is that it hasn't been ruled out.

Agreed. Kevin Feige isn't joking when he says that Marvel Studios has literally 6,000 characters in its catalog. And he has proved that he and his team can make the even most obscure characters into cultural icons. They're going to keep mining their current IP for decades to come, without needing to get the rights to the characters Fox is clinging to. (This is the point where someone claims that the Guardians of the Galaxy were really A-listers before the first film came out. )

Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #407
Darepool
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I think we're going to see something akin to a Marvel Knights line in the coming years. It's great Marvel is mining the cosmic side, but I think they'll also start developing the street/supernatural characters as well.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #408
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

In light of Vaughn's recent comments about letting the FF fans down, flashback Friday to when he said the movie was "good" and people tried to argue that was a sincere, positive comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicBookKid View Post
Cause anytime someone says something positive(Miller/Vaughn), it's picked apart like they weren't positive enough, or would said something else if they really meant it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Does "I've seen the movie. It's good" strike you as a glowing endorsement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
You do understand how it takes more 'work' to spin that neg than it does positive right? But then again given how negattive everything else has been, who can blame you for doing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
once the movie is out and people end up loving it. All these debates about "well we analyzed the word good and compared it to other films where people only say good, it turns out it means its bad!!" stuff will be forgotten alongside Trank's 4chan page, his dogs attacking little children, him doing coke and offering coke to underaged people, etc. Oh and Trank beating up Kate Mara.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #409
Darth_Spock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomsMom View Post
Fox has lost all support it had from fans of FF. Nobody wants alternate versions. Nobody wants spinoffs. We want all those cool villains in the MCU. The only way to ressurrect this dead franchise is an announcement of sorts from Fox and Marvel. Who the hell would care for a Surfer or Future Foundation film if its just a Fox project. Good luck with butts in those theatre seats.
Which is fascinating because now they've got Matthew Vaughn saying: "I wouldn’t mind maybe making a Fantastic Four film to apologize to everyone out there that maybe it didn’t go very well for them. One of my favorites is the Fantastic Four, so maybe one day I’ll try and rectify the mistake."

Yeah, for me unless he's doing it under Marvel Studios there's no real apology or rectifying the ongoing mistake he's speaking of. Just hints of more desperate rights grabbing.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #410
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
In light of Vaughn's recent comments about letting the FF fans down, flashback Friday to when he said the movie was "good" and people tried to argue that was a sincere, positive comment.
Fun times. I'd guess all those Fox fans will come crawling back to poo poo any negativity all over again should Fox try another brazen rights grab.

When there is a murmer of them maybe doing something we get at least one muppet stops by to be an @rsehole about it.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #411
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Agreed. Kevin Feige isn't joking when he says that Marvel Studios has literally 6,000 characters in its catalog. And he has proved that he and his team can make the even most obscure characters into cultural icons. They're going to keep mining their current IP for decades to come, without needing to get the rights to the characters Fox is clinging to. (This is the point where someone claims that the Guardians of the Galaxy were really A-listers before the first film came out. )
Let's not forget Ant-Man. Out grossed all the FF films easily, and Wolverine's first 2 solos, and not far behind Jackman's last stand in Logan.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #412
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Let's not forget Ant-Man. Out grossed all the FF films easily, and Wolverine's first 2 solos, and not far behind Jackman's last stand in Logan.
Yes, and before Ant-Man came out so many naysayers claimed that it would be Marvel's first flop. Of course, a lot of those same people said that GOTG would flop and they later moved on to making the same prediction for Doctor Strange. Even a semi-famous director chimed in that Ant-Man was a flavor of the month and "not iconic."

Marvel proved that if they deliver good films the audience will be there for them whether or not the heroes are well-known beforehand. They are elevating their heroes to iconic status as they build out the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #413
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:

I remember all that. At the time, the general thinking by those of us who were sane was Vaughn saying it was "good" was a classic case of "damning with faint praise". Now that we know the truth, we know it wasn't so much a matter of him not being effusive enough as it was him being full if s*** to even claim it was "good".

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #414
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Vaughn should be more worried about letting Kingsman fans down right now

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kin...golden_circle/

Compared to the original:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kin...secret_service

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 09-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #415
Darth_Spock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Vaughn should be more worried about Kingsman fans down right now

This and I've hardly seen any advertisement for it.

So could "IT" be taking 1st place again and if so would WB want him for MoS pt 2 if that happens?

Last edited by Darth_Spock; 09-22-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #416
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Spock View Post
This and I've hardly seen any advertisement for it.

So could "IT" be taking 1st place again and if so would WB want him for MoS pt 2 if that happens?
Really? I've seen ads for it everywhere. Even on the road. Still not sure if I wanna see it in theaters, given some of the reviews.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #417
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Jim Carrey wants to be in a marvel movie maybe?

Jim as Reed?
Cameron Diaz as Sue?
Owen Wilson as Johnny?
Vince Vaughn as Ben?

Bahaha mostly joking. But might be interesting to see if they all decided to take it seriously.

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #418
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Jim Carrey as Mojo

- CM Punk
Old 09-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #419
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Jim Carrey as Mojo

Old 09-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #420
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
You could have a whole phase centered around Excalibur, Captain Britain, and Mi13.

With the success of Bond and Harry Potter, I think world wide audience's would be willing to invest in non American story arc. And it could lead to a much needed change in tone and feel.

Also off the top of my head, I think Elsa Bloodstone, Blue Marvel, could carry there own trilogies.

I've been dreaming of an Immortal weapons movie too. Straight up martial arts fantasy like House of Flying daggers/League of Gods/Hero etc.

Maybe do a movie adaptation of NEXT Wave too.

Damn near unlimited supply of characters and stories to mine. Even the rumored Power Pack movie might end up surpassing FF on the big screen if Fox aren't careful.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #421
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Would love to see the data to back that up. I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm pretty sure Iron Man was not even close to being A list.

B list would be generous tbh. I remember Ironman being part of the Marvel action hour, but other than that, I don't think he had the highest profile pre the movie release.

Back then it was pretty much just X-men, Spiderman and Hulk(?) in the VIP lounge.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #422
Zarex
Side-Kick

I'd put all of the characters that carried a comic book series for multiple decades on the A-list. Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Deadpool, Punisher, Daredevil and Wolverine were all Marvel A-listers before their live action debuts.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #423
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
See, I never got the whole labeling Iron Man as a B-lister myself. Was he as recognizable as Spider-Man or Captain America? No, but he sure wasn't that far behind. I just never saw him as a second tier character. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #424
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Vaughn should be more worried about letting Kingsman fans down right now

Ouch. Is the movie that much worse, or is this a case of unneeded sequelitis? I kinda feel like Kingsman should have been a one and done. I miss the days when a good film could simply stand on its own. Now every time a film turns a decent profit, I'm scared to death we're gonna get some half assed speedily churned out cash grab sequel. Is that what happened here?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #425
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I'd put all of the characters that carried a comic book series for multiple decades on the A-list. Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Deadpool, Punisher, Daredevil and Wolverine were all Marvel A-listers before their live action debuts.
Ok...this is very much more in line with my thinking as well. I could MAYBE see Punisher and DD being on the fringe, but I still agree with your assessment.