The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 08-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #426
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Default Re: The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,seve

17-17 now, sounds like the Ferns are going into beast mode....and then concede a penalty, 20-17.

England are playing smart and clearly have a reliable kicker.

Ah ! The Ferns running game is clearly finding some holes, 24-20
to NZ.

And now England have struck back 25-24, what a game !

Last edited by Batmannerism; 08-26-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Sdg
Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #427
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,seve

20-17 England. Yeah some serious pressure, but England still exciting they get possession. Really great match.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #428
Iceman
Infinity War!

Oh damn as I was talking they just got over the line. NZ try!! 22-20, first time NZ have been ahead since the beginning.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #429
Iceman
Infinity War!

And 24-20 with the conversion. 54 minutes on the clock.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #430
Iceman
Infinity War!

Bloody hell, what a match! England score a try straight back. Awesome pace down the wing.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #431
Iceman
Infinity War!

OMG, England missed the conversion 25-24, but 2 seconds later NZ get over the line AGAIN!!

Old 08-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #432
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Ferns have a bit of a lead now, England need to find something special soon !

Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #433
Iceman
Infinity War!

NZ have been steamrollering them in the last 5-10 mins. Big gap now.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #434
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Yeah, I think it's out of reach for England now. The Ferns have regained their form at the right time.

Still, a very entertaining final !

Old 08-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #435
Iceman
Infinity War!

Looking all over, NZ too strong. 41-25 at moment.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #436
Iceman
Infinity War!

Oh NZ captain gets a yellow card but there's only a few minutes left.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #437
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Oh NZ captain gets a yellow card but there's only a few minutes left.
Wow! Drama. But they need 16 points to tie it up. And time is short.

Still it's possible !

....but not to be, this time. What a second half !

A worthy final indeed. A strong effort from the Roses but it was the Ferns' day today. I'll try to catch a replay.

Cheers.

Last edited by Batmannerism; 08-26-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: H
Old 08-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #438
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah they got one back. Honourable way to go out. All over now and NZ definitely deserve the trophy. Congrats!!!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #439
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Last week's demolition of the Springboks was a terrible result for world rugby.

Sure Kiwis can crow about how good the All Blacks are, but it's competition that keeps the game alive. What good will it do us if the rest of the rugby playing world ( which is a limited pool anyway) gives up on rugby and changes the channel to Football ? We'll be the best in the world at a sport that no one cares about - kind of like Olympic hammer toss, which I'm sure is big news in some parts of Eastern Europe but otherwise may as well not exist.

I remember once hearing Anthony mundine going off about how he was the best five eighth in the world and thinking " Dude, given the number of countries that play rugby league, who gives a **** ? You might as well be the world's best beer pong player although that might actually be a bigger deal."

Old 09-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #440
extra skater
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Last week's demolition of the Springboks was a terrible result for world rugby.

Sure Kiwis can crow about how good the All Blacks are, but it's competition that keeps the game alive. What good will it do us if the rest of the rugby playing world ( which is a limited pool anyway) gives up on rugby and changes the channel to Football ? We'll be the best in the world at a sport that no one cares about - kind of like Olympic hammer toss, which I'm sure is big news in some parts of Eastern Europe but otherwise may as well not exist.

I remember once hearing Anthony mundine going off about how he was the best five eighth in the world and thinking " Dude, given the number of countries that play rugby league, who gives a **** ? You might as well be the world's best beer pong player although that might actually be a bigger deal."
That's what I think. To me, rugby union is already one of the less world-level competitive sports, althought it's played all around the world. And I don't see World Rugby do anything to change that. For instance, 12 automatic World Cup berths based on the previous World Cup edition to me it's completely unnecessary. Only 8 spots left and as the difference of level is gargantuan and these few spots will probably be occupied by the same teams: USA, Canada, Romania, Russia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Namibia, Georgia, Uruguay... surprising teams like Portugal, Spain, Zimbabwe or Ivory Coast it's pretty rare.

I really rooted against All Blacks in 2015, not that I dislike them, but I wanted to see a different champion. Not that Australia or South Africa would be that different (and I don't picture Argentina champions, again, for the level difference), but at least a different one from the previous edition.

I wonder if France will make it some day. Wales or Ireland, I always hear this is their year before every World Cup and pff!

I think everything should start by changing the World Cup qualification and maybe increasing the number of spots too, for 24, maybe? One of the best things about FIFA World Cup is the different countries that qualify. We always see a new team, new colors, new cultures...

It would be nice to see Chile, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, Korea playing in the World Cup.

Mean while, (American) football is growing so fast worldwide with NFL support that I don't doubt in some decades it put an international competition as popular as the Rugby World Cup.

That said... man, THIS TRY!

extra skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #441
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Speaking as a Rugby League man Anthony Mundine wouldn't be even in the top 20 of great Stand Offs/Five-Eight's.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #442
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Speaking as a Rugby League man Anthony Mundine wouldn't be even in the top 20 of great Stand Offs/Five-Eight's.
I suspected as much- he's very much about self promotion.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #443
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
That's what I think. To me, rugby union is already one of the less world-level competitive sports, althought it's played all around the world. And I don't see World Rugby do anything to change that. For instance, 12 automatic World Cup berths based on the previous World Cup edition to me it's completely unnecessary. Only 8 spots left and as the difference of level is gargantuan and these few spots will probably be occupied by the same teams: USA, Canada, Romania, Russia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Namibia, Georgia, Uruguay... surprising teams like Portugal, Spain, Zimbabwe or Ivory Coast it's pretty rare.

I really rooted against All Blacks in 2015, not that I dislike them, but I wanted to see a different champion. Not that Australia or South Africa would be that different (and I don't picture Argentina champions, again, for the level difference), but at least a different one from the previous edition.

I wonder if France will make it some day. Wales or Ireland, I always hear this is their year before every World Cup and pff!

I think everything should start by changing the World Cup qualification and maybe increasing the number of spots too, for 24, maybe? One of the best things about FIFA World Cup is the different countries that qualify. We always see a new team, new colors, new cultures...

It would be nice to see Chile, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, Korea playing in the World Cup.

Mean while, (American) football is growing so fast worldwide with NFL support that I don't doubt in some decades it put an international competition as popular as the Rugby World Cup.

That said... man, THIS TRY!

Okay. First I had to cheer for the ABs in 2015, but mostly because they were playing Australia in the final - sorry Aussies, it's just part of my citizenship conditions.

Now that the ABS are 3 time champs and have defended the cup it's time for someone else to step up. I think an ABs threepeat would be disastrous for the game. It's time for France , Ireland, Wales or win - even an English win would be a better result. IMO

Totally agree that the RWC tournament should either be 24 or even a full 32 team bracket. Also I feel it should be run the same way as a 7s tournament, with a cup, bowl, and plate competition - which gives tier 2 and 3 teams something to play for.

In fact, with inclusion in the Olympics and it's inherent TV friendliness, I think 7s has the potential to become the dominant code, internationally speaking.

As for NFL, while it has mass spectator appeal and spreads internationally as a spectator sport, it's difficult to play, compared to rugby - I mean not every kid in America has played Football ( gridiron) but nearly every kid in New Zealand has played some rugby - and that inherent playability, as well as watchability I think is what makes Football (soccer) the world's no 1 game.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #444
extra skater
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
In fact, with inclusion in the Olympics and it's inherent TV friendliness, I think 7s has the potential to become the dominant code, internationally speaking.

As for NFL, while it has mass spectator appeal and spreads internationally as a spectator sport, it's difficult to play, compared to rugby - I mean not every kid in America has played Football ( gridiron) but nearly every kid in New Zealand has played some rugby - and that inherent playability, as well as watchability I think is what makes Football (soccer) the world's no 1 game.
I think the 7s were the best thing that happened to Summer Olympics in a long time — since the inclusion of handball, maybe. They should return baseball and I'd like to see cricket too, but I agree the events calendar would be super full and Olympics are more about what I call physical endurance disciplines (athletics, aquatics...)

And I agree with the "difficulties" of playing American football and this is an advantage association football will carry for some time too. You just need to be able to stand up and to walk and you can play both association football or rugby, indeed. If we think about poorer regions, like Africa or parts of Asia and Pacific islands, then...

extra skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #445
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah any group of people can at least play touch rugby.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #446
jmc
away for a while

May as well throw this in here. Rugby League World Cup kicked off tonight. Australia defeated England 18-4. Closer than expected.

jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #447
Iceman
Infinity War!

2023 Rugby World Cup: South Africa recommended to host tournament
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41814037

Old 10-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #448
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
May as well throw this in here. Rugby League World Cup kicked off tonight. Australia defeated England 18-4. Closer than expected.
Australia always win that one don't they? I'm quite interested in RL too but never know when stuff is on or what channel it's on. Would appreciate updates. I definitely want to at least see the final. Who are the next best team? NZ?

Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #449
jmc
away for a while

New Zealand then England. Weekend results:

Australia 18 England 4
New Zealand 38 Samoa 10
Tonga 50 Scotland 4
Lebanon 29 France 18
PNG 50 Wales 6
Fiji 58 USA 12
Ireland 36 Italy 12

Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #450
jmc
away for a while

Here's the draw for the other world cup that happened today: