The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #726
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: IRON MAN 3 Trailer Thread - Theatrical TRL #1 To Debut Oct. 23rd, 12:01AM (PST)

Iron Man was great. Iron Man 2 just had so many problems it's hard to know where to begin.

The plot seemed like an ass pull. They didn't set anything up in the previous movie (except the Mandarin). Suddenly, Tony's dad has a partner he screwed.

The pacing was terrible.

The SHIELD elements could have certainly been incorporated better.

They couldn't seem to decide who the villain was. Fortunately, both characters were entertaining.

The movie was a mess.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #727
Travesty
Side-Kick

Default Re: IRON MAN 3 Trailer Thread - Theatrical TRL #1 To Debut Oct. 23rd, 12:01AM (PST)

I liked IM2 somewhat, but the first one was so much better. The new trailer for IM3 looks really badass. Still not sold on the suit, as I prefer the other ones, but at least it looks better than the new Robocop suit, so far.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #728
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Who is the red-headed chic?
Stephanie Szostak

Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #729
Vengeance of Bane
Side-Kick

I didn't like IM2 because they made Tony such an unlikable character that I really didn't care if he lived or died. It seems the movie was made by a comity of people who all wanted something in the movie and therefore it seems that it had no clear direction. But this trailer rocked!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #730
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Unfortunately.

Anything 'dark' or 'serious' or 'emotional' or etc is considered Nolan-esque, nowadays, apparently, but that goes to show you how much of an impact his Dark Knight trilogy had on the genre.

"You've changed things....."

I'm sure if "Iron Man 2" had a been a hit we'd see more of the same.

-More AC/DC or Black Sabbeth songs inserted

-Generic Villain

-Another "back to Tony's garage" scene

- Two minute battles.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #731
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Iron Man 2 was a hit, and the Avengers was a megahit, which had a similar light, carefree tone. Iron Man 3 being seemingly more dramatic and serious means Marvel is wise enough to know when to change it up.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #732
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

While the comic relief in the Iron Man films was entertaining, it's actually refreshing to have a serious take on the character to be honest

"You experience things, and then they're over."
Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #733
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Global Moderator

So I wonder if the tone of Iron Man 3 is any indication as to how "Phase II" is going to play out in the MU? I mean, are we going to get a more serious tone from each movie until The Avengers 2?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #734
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

And it'll still have plenty of dark humor, I'm sure. It's Shane Black after all.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #735
Chewy
REDACTED

I think all of these Phase 2 movies will have the slightly darker tone, leading up to Thanos' bastardry

Mandarin/Extremis, the Kurse stuff, the Winter Soldier stuff, it's all inherently darker than the Phase 1 material. Not overwhelmingly dark, but there's a definite shift

If Phase 1 was Star Wars, Phase 2 is Empire

Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #736
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Iron Man 2 was a hit, and the Avengers was a megahit, which had a similar light, carefree tone. Iron Man 3 being seemingly more dramatic and serious means Marvel is wise enough to know when to change it up.

I have a feeling "The Avenger's 2" will have a similar tone.

They barely made it out thanks to Stark and the Nuke. Can they come back and save the world again?

Will Stark be more jaded/cynical? After "Iron Man 3" his whole world will be turned upside down.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #737
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Let's hope Phase 3 isn't Jedi.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #738
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

RDJ's charm gives the character comedic vibe too which will still be present. I just think the story is going to be a bit more serious, in the sense of not having an AC/DC song every 20 minutes

"You experience things, and then they're over."
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #739
Travesty
Side-Kick

I hope AC/DC scores the entire movie.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #740
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

All of this added stress on Tony must mean he'll turn to more alcohol right? My dream of a "Demon in a Bottle" may not happen, but I would love to see casual moviegoers' uncomfortableness of seeing a superhero drinking so heavily.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #741
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The dark tone and fall of the hero are generic enough to fit tons of movies. The cracked mask mean two completely different things in TDKR and IM3. And as for the snow and winter some people bring up, that's because it's been a "motif" of Shane Black for decades....it's no secret that he sets nearly all of his movies at Christmas time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Nothing wrong with a "darker" IM story.
This!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #742
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really liked the scene of Howard's projection speaking to Tony. Very cinematic.
Yes, loved that part.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #743
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Can I say how much I'm loving the cinematography of this film? I enjoyed Matt Libatique's glossy look but this is far more evocative it its mood and more dynamic it its action, no doubt propelled by the more serious story. I loved the red-orange sunset pallet when Tony's house is attacked. Hollywood doesn't make use of that color enough.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #744
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Yeah I'm loving this trailer. But the IM2 trailer was equally great and that was a tad misleading.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #745
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

The trailer is awesome.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #746
The Sage
The World's Finest

Trailer is awesome. They needed to come out swinging after Iron Man 2, and this looks like a winner already.

Curious to how the Mandarin will be portrayed.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #747
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
While the comic relief in the Iron Man films was entertaining, it's actually refreshing to have a serious take on the character to be honest
I agree. While I'm sure RDJ's wit will still be on display, the Tony Stark I grew up on was never as "cool", never as "nerd chic" as the movie versions have been.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #748
an_ewok
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's hope Phase 3 isn't Jedi.
Or at least, Jedi with Wookies instead of Ewoks.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #749
CGHulk
Side-Kick

Wow Iron Man has gone the domestic terrorist route like Nolan's Batman!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #750
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I find it interesting that Tony is having nightmares ever since the events of the avengers. Because at the end of the movie, he didn't seem to be affected by the events all that much. Maybe he was playing it off, or maybe its something else.

Tony seems to be suffering from classic PTSD, which makes sense not only in light of what he experienced in The Avengers, but also his hostage ordeal in Iron Man. The symptoms of PTSD often don't manifest themselves immediately. Tony could have felt he was coping well in the immediate aftermath of the invasion, when there were so many things to distract him, only to start experiencing nightmares, flashbacks and sleep disturbances shortly thereafter.

I love that Black is addressing the traumatic aftermath of the events in TA. So often these films either ignore the effect that huge battles and disasters have on the characters, or they only address them in shallow and meaningless ways. Winning a battle can break someone just as surely as losing can.

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
Closed Thread