The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 01-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Sawyer
High King

Default The Other History of the DC Universe - John Ridley Miniseries

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/01...-in-new-series
Quote:
Today, DC announces Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Let It Fall) will examine the DC mythology with a compelling new literary comics miniseries, THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE. The story will analyze iconic DC moments and chart sociopolitical gains through the perspectives of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups, including John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Supergirl, Katana and Rene Montoya among others. At its core, the series focuses on the lives of those behind the costumes, and their endeavors to overcome real-world issues.

“I could not be more excited by the opportunity to excavate the canon of the DC Universe through a vast array of characters who’ve earned their seat at the table,” explains Ridley. “I’m very impressed with DC's commitment to making their history as reverent and urgent as it is engaging and entertaining for all its many fans.”

THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE isn’t about saving the world, it’s about having the strength to simply be who you are.
The spelling of Montoya's name is curious. Wonder if it's just a typo, though I doubt it.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
geetard
Rebirth

Default Re: The Other History of the DC Universe - John Ridley Miniseries

Surely it is a typo.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #3
Sawyer
High King

If it was a report from another site, rather than a press release straight from DC, I'd assume that was the case, and it probably is regardless. But a small part of me wonders if, in this particular story, Ridley might gender-swap Montoya into being a gay man.

Guess we'll know when he talks more about it, presumably at this event in Washington D.C. this weekend.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
geetard
Rebirth

Eh, typos in official statements are not unheard of.

Gender-swapping Renee to a man would create an outrage. I would definitely be unahppy.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The spelling of Montoya's name is curious. Wonder if it's just a typo, though I doubt it.
My guess is it's a typo. With the current climate regarding representation of women in comics I'd be very surprised if they gender-swapped her. Good spot on that though - many I think, would have missed it!

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Interesting premise, though I do hope they add more heroes like Vibe, Blue Beetle and Black Lightning.

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Juan1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
arnasklas

Well, let's hope this wasn't a typo haha

arnasklas is offline   Reply With Quote