The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #51
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Default Re: Ruin a good film

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ Gregory Peck won against Peter O Toole, while the latter was arguably a more demanding performance.

High Noon.
Great Western which prompted Howard Hawks and John Wayne to make an even greater one with Rio Bravo.

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #52
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Seven Samurai is better

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #53
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
^ Seven Samurai is better
I think I like them both equally but to each their own.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #54
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Great Western which prompted Howard Hawks and John Wayne to make an even greater one with Rio Bravo.

The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Tough to knock that film but it did give birth to some seriously sub-par sequels. Guns of the Magnificent Seven was absolutely horrid. And while there were things I liked about the remake, many of the main crew felt seriously underdeveloped.

I Saw the Devil

Deck Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #55
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Great film, but maybe too violent for my taste nowadays lol.

The Silence of the Lambs

Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #56
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Hard to see Stottlemeyer on Monk the same way :P

The Shawshank Redemption

Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #57
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
^ Hard to see Stottlemeyer on Monk the same way :P

The Shawshank Redemption
So much feces.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #58
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

The only Fincher film I haven't seen and I'm a big fan of his

The Night of the Hunter

Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #59
LaughterLives
Banned User

Could've been more unsettling and less sappy

The Hateful 8

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #60
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Too long. Also Charles Bronson did the "Mystery Western set in the snow" first.

Pulp Fiction

Old 01-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #61
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Agree about Hateful 8. It was waaaaaay too long and due to the intimate setting, you could see the actors who weren't involved in the central action sitting in the background pretending (poorly) to read, talk to each other, etc. It might be Tarantino's most poorly directed film. Django was a much better Western (even if, technically, it's a Southern).

Anyway, Pulp Fiction.

That's tough because it's one of my all time favorites. But... I will say that the use of the N-word (by Tarantino himself) is really unnecessary. He had Steve Buscemi use it in that manner in Reservoir Dogs as well and I just feel like the only excuse for having a white person in a movie use that word is to show they are a full-on racist. That could have been what Tarantino was depicting but I don't think he was. His character in Pulp Fiction is supposed to be Samuel L. Jackson's business partner. I think he simply included it for shock value, or even worse, for a laugh. And that word should never be used that way.

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #62
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Errol Flynn was a creeper

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #63
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

The Conversation

Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #64
LaughterLives
Banned User

Hateful 8 is a near comedic masterpiece in my eyes and QT's best directed film by far. That's coming from someone whose not a fan of the guy's work doh.

About the Conversation, its Too Slow for me. I could never get past the 30 min. mark.

Passion of the Christ.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #65
WolfCypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
Hateful 8 is a near comedic masterpiece in my eyes and QT's best directed film by far. That's coming from someone whose not a fan of the guy's work doh.

About the Conversation, its Too Slow for me. I could never get past the 30 min. mark.

Passion of the Christ.
Passion is one of those things where, one just has a hard time going back to it when an actor or director shows their ugly, true colors years later.

Its like how you might have enjoyed the Cosby Show, but thanks to what we know about the guy, you can still watch it, but in the back of your mind, its not the same anymore.

That's me now with anything Mel Gibson. So Mel's antisemitism ruined this movie.

Princess Mononke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm
GodDAMN these electric sex pants.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #66
LaughterLives
Banned User

I can't say I feel the same. I love Mel. I think the guy is a treasure and one of a kind.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #67
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Princess Mononke
I'm sad Miyazaki is retiring.

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Old 01-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #68
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
I can't say I feel the same. I love Mel. I think the guy is a treasure and one of a kind.
Even when he’s punching women in the face and telling them he hopes they get raped?

Old 01-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #69
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
I'm sad Miyazaki is retiring.

The Bridge on the River Kwai
The film portrays the Japanese as less capable engineers than the British. One character also refers to them as barbarians; this was edited out of the film when it was released on DVD.

Risky Business

Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #70
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Rickard View Post
Even when he’s punching women in the face and telling them he hopes they get raped?
Yup.
Mel is an awesome and funny guy. I've shared meals with him. He's a good man.
Everyone does something regrettable in life but he's done nothing worthy of condemnation drunk or sober. He's human and some human's do petty things at low/weak points in their life. I'm not condoning his behaviour but he's done nothing unforgivable.
Its not like he's molesting/raping child actor's doh like Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey. People like them are the scum of the Earth.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #71
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Yup.
Mel is an awesome and funny guy. I've shared meals with him. He's a good man.
Everyone does something regrettable in life but he's done nothing worthy of condemnation drunk or sober. He's human and some human's do petty things at low/weak points in their life. I'm not condoning his behaviour but he's done nothing unforgivable.
Its not like he's molesting/raping child actor's doh like Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey. People like them are the scum of the Earth.
I think beating a woman to a pulp is unforgivable, as is making repeated racist and anti-Semitic remarks. And I think it at least puts you in the running for being named the scum of the earth. I get that you apparently have a personal relationship with Gibson and I can understand wanting to see the good in a person based on what you know of them, but you can't discount the bad things they've done because of it.

He's undoubtedly a talented actor and director but he's done some truly awful things.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #72
LaughterLives
Banned User

I was raised by strong women so I don't feel like women are more delicate like majority of people do. I feel like women are actually more dangerous partially cuz of this misconception. I don't see women as weak at all and I never have.
I do think its wrong for a man to beat on anyone they know can't/won't fight back but I also know what it's like to be drunk to a point where you don't display regular behaviour and you're not yourself. It's not an excuse but it does happen.
Plus he had a meltdown. Those things just don't happen. They build up.

I believe actions speak louder than words. As Far as I know he's never raped anybody himself, and I know he's as prejudice as most people are but he doesn't hide it And though he said things he shouldn't have said, I've seen him treat people pretty much the way they treat him. At the end of the day he goes by the individual just like most people should.

But I should discount all the good he's done cuz of the little bit of bad? hahaha! No. That's backwards thinking.
I just don't ignore the good he's done cuz of that and I don't see that he's done anything unforgivable like I said.

There's different sides to every story, there's different sides to every individual but if you weren't there or you don't know those people, I don't think it's right to just condemn them. You talk as if he had a pattern of awful behaviour.
Do you know of other bad things he's done?

Gibson was in a bad place but he's worked at bettering himself since then and also given back. Its been like 10 years and I think he's earned his forgiveness.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #73
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Rickard View Post
Risky Business
Good film, but maybe doesn't hold up that well, like most films lol.

Metropolis

Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #74
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
I was raised by strong women so I don't feel like women are more delicate like majority of people do. I feel like women are actually more dangerous partially cuz of this misconception. I don't see women as weak at all and I never have.
I do think its wrong for a man to beat on anyone they know can't/won't fight back but I also know what it's like to be drunk to a point where you don't display regular behaviour and you're not yourself. It's not an excuse but it does happen.
Plus he had a meltdown. Those things just don't happen. They build up.

I believe actions speak louder than words. As Far as I know he's never raped anybody himself, and I know he's as prejudice as most people are but he doesn't hide it And though he said things he shouldn't have said, I've seen him treat people pretty much the way they treat him. At the end of the day he goes by the individual just like most people should.

But I should discount all the good he's done cuz of the little bit of bad? hahaha! No. That's backwards thinking.
I just don't ignore the good he's done cuz of that and I don't see that he's done anything unforgivable like I said.

There's different sides to every story, there's different sides to every individual but if you weren't there or you don't know those people, I don't think it's right to just condemn them. You talk as if he had a pattern of awful behaviour.
Do you know of other bad things he's done?

Gibson was in a bad place but he's worked at bettering himself since then and also given back. Its been like 10 years and I think he's earned his forgiveness.

"He's as prejudiced as most people are..." Ummm, I think he's a little bit more prejudiced than "most people." I've been drunk many, many times in my life and I've never launched into a rant against Jews or any other group of people. There has also been speculation that he's inserted anti-Semitism and homophobia into his films (Passion and Braveheart). I'm not entirely convinced he did this, but I can see the reasoning for it, and it's only been fueled by some of the things he's said while drunk.

As for your other comments... there are many women who can knock a man's teeth out, for sure. But it's no secret that men in general have prey on women in abusive ways for centuries because physically, the majority of them are bigger and are able to exploit that. To dismiss Gibson's actions the way that you are, even if it was one isolated incident, is disturbing and I honestly am a bit concerned for the women in your life if you hold this kind of view that "hey, we all do bad stuff when we drink." No, we all don't.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #75
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Good film, but maybe doesn't hold up that well, like most films lol.

Metropolis
The plot for the anime is peculiar.

LA Confidential

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote