CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Your Top 5 CBM's You Consider Underrated

5. The Rocketeer / The Phantom
4. Dredd
3. Hulk
2. Hellboy and the Golden Army
1. X-Men

The first X-Men is often dismissed due to lack of spectacle and colourful outfits but it came after Batman & Robin killed the genre with camp and showed CBMs could be for grown-ups and could be Box office hits.
What I love most is the dialogue, any scene between Magneto and Xavier is just pure class. The fights and costuming weren't great but the story, tone, dialogue and casting were all top notch and it's quite rewatchable for me because of those areas

(Bonus: Watchmen, Man of Steel, The Punisher, Fantastic Four 2)

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe WolverineX-Men Days of Future PastGuardians of the GalaxyDEADPOOL • LOGAN

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-19-2016 at 11:50 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #52
spiderman2
Side-Kick

1. Amazing spider man 2 most underrated movie of all time don't get the hate at all.
2. Dark knight rises I think it is the best of the trilogy and it fells like a lot of people don't have it in there top 10 CBM of all time witch I think is nuts.
3. Iron man 3 its better then 2 or 1 but 1 is also like the most overrated CBM off all time.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #53
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I had forgotten that the first two Blade movies have such poor scored on Rotten Tomatoes. Given that, they are clearly underrated in my opinion.

I think that part of the change is that critics have collectively gone soft on comic book movies. With the exception of F4ntastic they are generally getting much higher scores now, even Amazing Spider Man 2 managed to score a 53%.

This may be due to lobbying, but I think a lot of critics might also have grown tired of harassment by fans. Often, a critic is seen as giving a rotten vote on rotten tomatoes, fans all over the world attack them and denigrate them. It's collective harassment.

I think that here on out most any merely competent CBM will get a 75%+.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #54
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

For me, the two Blades and the two Hellboys. Helps that I'm partial to Lovecraftian horror and vamps. Great comicbook feel, good leads which personified the characters, entertaining action.

Mystery Men would round off my list.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:00 AM   #55
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
You are so right !

With Brolin, Fassbender, Shannon and John Freakin' Malkovich, it should have been amazing.

There are a number of films throughout cinematic history that have squandered the talents of huge casts.

Here's a list that has JH on it :

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...bout-the-movie

The fact that no one has put "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" as underrated restores some of my faith in humanity.

Cheers.
In that link, Winslet appears to appear quite often, Titanic was a fluke I tell ya !

Mandon Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #56
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
In that link, Winslet appears to appear quite often, Titanic was a fluke I tell ya !
Yeah, Titanic is a weird one - I mean, it's about a boat that sinks, and the audience goes in knowing it's going to sink, they just want to see how. I remember enjoying it, although at the same time wishing I hadn't had a large soda (as the last 30 minutes were spent exercising serious bladder control, which was tough when the screen was full of icy water !)

I don't want to diss Kate Winslet, because she has been great in a bunch of films ( Heavenly Creatures, The Reader, Iris, I mean she peed herself on camera in Holy Smoke, so she really does go all out for a role).

Also, Anthony Hopkins appears three times in the great-cast-****-movie list, and the man hasn't given a bad performance in his life (even in incredibly **** movies).

Back to Titanic, I think it's more the "James Cameron factor" I mean the guy has made some incredible films ( Aliens, Terminator and T2 , the Abyss) but both Titanic and Avatar, ostensibly his biggest hits have incredibly formulaic plots and very average performances ( Avatar is basically Dances with Wolves in Space, with a happy ending).

But still, people flock to his films for their sheer spectacle ( I don't want to lump him in the same boat as Michael Bay who substitutes action cut so quickly we have no idea what's going, rapid-fire meaningless dialogue and explosions in place of any kind of plot or character - his films are so dumb they're not even fun, I mean Pacific Rim is dumb, but massive fun, Transformers is just dumb).

Sorry went on a tangent there. Yeah, Titanic, weird huh ?
Cheers

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #57
BH/HHH
You Are My World

1. Man of Steel (near perfect update of Supermans origin)
2. Captain America: The First Avenger (Best origin story in the MCU)
3. X-Men (bette than the often more praised X2 IMO, Singer world best on tighteto budgets)
4. The Incredible Hulk (was like an updated TV show)
5. The Amazing Spider-Man (better than the Raimi films IMO(

Last edited by BH/HHH; 02-20-2016 at 09:32 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #58
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

1) Thor - I don't get why people like The Dark World over this. The acting here is fantastic, I especially loved how well they played up the sibling rivalry between Thor and Loki (Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston were perfect casting as far as I'm concerned). Plus Anthony Hopkins as Odin having a great father and son dynamic with the two, it plays like an outer space Shakespeare tragedy. Which is fitting, given the director is Kenneth Branagh.

2) Captain America: The First Avenger - As an origin story, it ranks behind the other MCU origin movies. But it's still a solid film and a perfect Captain America movie. It's got a great period atmosphere and retro vibe (thanks to The Rocketeer director Joe Johnston), and an earnest performance from Chris Evans as Steve Rogers (whom I've never liked until this film). But most importantly, it gave us Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, the most badass woman in the MCU.

3) Hellboy - The Golden Army gets all the praise, but I always thought that film was a mess. The first film is my preferred viewing choice. It surprised me how affecting it was and you can't beat the casting of Ron Perlman as Hellboy.

4) The Amazing Spider-Man - Let's get the bad stuff aside, the Lizard looks like crap and this movie was a cynical ploy for Sony to keep the movie rights to Spider-Man. That said, this was a good film and second only to Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2. Andrew Garfield was a great Spidey (I'm still sore he won't play Peter in the MCU), and Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen Stacy. If only Sony hadn't mucked up the sequel.

5) Dredd - It's a shame this film doesn't get much exposure. As an adaptation of the long running British comic, it's incredibly well done and Karl Urban was miles better than Sly Stallone as Dredd. I just wish we could have gotten a sequel.

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #59
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octopus View Post
Daredevil director cut is better than normal cut. Green Lantern is bad. I think it deserve the heat. Blade trinity too.
I'm watching GL again. I'll always contend that it did more correctly than it did incorrectly.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #60
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I'm watching GL again. I'll always contend that it did more correctly than it did incorrectly.
And I will agree

Old 02-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #61
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

1. Blade - Still one of the best openings to a comic book movie.
2. Man of Steel - Not saying its perfect or without issues but I dont understand how it ended up as "Rotten". Its no worse than say Age of Ultron.
3. Dredd - Obvious choice is obvious.
4. Iron Man 2 - I liked it more than 3 and the fight with War Machine at the end is BA.
5. The Crow - Great adaption of a graphic novel which is quite complex.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #62
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
And I will agree
Never got the hate for the costume in particular. It looked great and made perfect sense since he creates constructs out of energy then why not a costume

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe WolverineX-Men Days of Future PastGuardians of the GalaxyDEADPOOL • LOGAN
Old 02-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #63
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
And I will agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Never got the hate for the costume in particular. It looked great and made perfect sense since he creates constructs out of energy then why not a costume
I've always said that a CBM, particularly an origin story, has to do more than just tell a good story. As an adaptation, it has to hit certain beats to honor the way the source material works. GL had problems (although many of the professional critics didn't know enough about the Lanternverse to see the film's real missteps), but it also told Hal Jordan's origin faithfully for most of the movie. So the film found it's destination even if it veered off the path a few times.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #64
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Re-watched Watchmen last night and it's for me, something of a masterpiece. Absolutely adore it.

Mandon Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #65
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

If Green Lantern went for a more serious tone like MOS and had better storytelling it could've made 175+ m and got a sequel.

I'm certain of it.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #66
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
If Green Lantern went for a more serious tone like MOS and had better storytelling it could've made 175+ m and got a sequel.

I'm certain of it.
If Green Lantern would have been made by a studio other than Warner Bumbles, it would have been a runaway success. Of that, I'm also sure. Hopefully, the errors of the first trial will teach the studio some valuable lessons for the next incarnation of the GLC.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #67
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
I've always said that a CBM, particularly an origin story, has to do more than just tell a good story. As an adaptation, it has to hit certain beats to honor the way the source material works. GL had problems (although many of the professional critics didn't know enough about the Lanternverse to see the film's real missteps), but it also told Hal Jordan's origin faithfully for most of the movie. So the film found it's destination even if it veered off the path a few times.
Just goes to show accuracy doesn't equal quality.

Quote:
Re-watched Watchmen last night and it's for me, something of a masterpiece. Absolutely adore it.
One of my all-time favourites. Love that movie

Old 02-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #68
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Been planning on doing a re-watch of this myself soon, love the movie myself and still watch it every few months.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)The Shape of Water-8.5(5)Ready Player One-8(6)Tomb Raider-7(7)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #69
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:

I really enjoy that film. That's the one that made me a Snyder fan.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #70
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I thought Watchmen was very good, until act 3
he totally flubbed the ending though, imo

I can't think of 5, but I'd say... X-Men 1, which now gets talked about like it's crap but nostalgia won't let me believe it... Blade 2, cuz always bet on black... and Thor, imo one of the best of phase one yet everyone says 'Marvel doesn't know what to do with Thor'

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #71
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

I can't think of 5, but I'd say... X-Men 1, which now gets talked about like it's crap but nostalgia won't let me believe it... Blade 2, cuz always bet on black... and Thor, imo one of the best of phase one yet everyone says 'Marvel doesn't know what to do with Thor'
Disagree on Watchmen, but agree on the rest. X1 is so under rated, and people now criticise Bryan Singer for what he did with it. Obviously not remembering how taboo comic book movies were at the time. It is totally different making a CBM now compared to 1999 yet some people forget that and say Singer did poorly.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)The Shape of Water-8.5(5)Ready Player One-8(6)Tomb Raider-7(7)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #72
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Yeah, Fox wasn't giving huge budgets for the X-Men movies. However, the HEAVY use of Wolverine and having characters like Cyclops as tertiary didn't help with the overall X-Men movies.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #73
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Just goes to show accuracy doesn't equal quality.
GL told Jordan's story pretty well, but the areas where it deviated from the source material were its weakest points. The half-baked Parallax idea was the most glaring, especially considering the wealth of GL villains from which the studio could have drawn. Also, Hal temporarily quitting after being intimidated by Sinestro wasn't drawn from Emerald Dawn or Secret Origin. That was just a cheap studio gimmick to get Hal back on Earth to focus on his relationship with Carol.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #74
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Also, Hal temporarily quitting after being intimidated by Sinestro wasn't drawn from Emerald Dawn or Secret Origin. That was just a cheap studio gimmick to get Hal back on Earth to focus on his relationship with Carol.
That happened with Thor and Masters of the Universe too. I think it's a case of the Studio trying to preserve the budget and make things relatable for audiences or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

Agreed on X-Men and Thor, which I think is an perfect fish-out-of-water story, but I get what people mean when they say that about Thor as his first movie while good ditched Asgard for 3/4 and the sequel spent a good portion on Earth and in Avengers he doesn't get much to do so it seems they're scared to really have a Thor movie away from Earth

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-23-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #75
Zarex
Side-Kick

1) Mystery Men - Like Deadpool it would have performed better in a max-superhero environment.
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - Somewhat forgotten, but set the stage for superhero team ups to come.
3) Batman Forever - Kilmer and Carey are great. Jones not so much. Thought it a big improvement over "Returns".
4) Big Hero 6 - "In Name Only" adaptation, but a beautiful story.
5) Dredd - This is why we don't get nice things.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote