The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #76
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Not even a week old and the backlash to Logan has begun.
I know right? Just wait like at least a month before you call a movie overrated. Let the wolverine fans enjoy the moment and eat their cake.

Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #77
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
I know right? Just wait like at least a month before you call a movie overrated. Let the wolverine fans enjoy the moment and eat their cake.
Wise words that should be extended to many.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:04 AM   #78
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Where is this Logan backlash? Just because someone dared to give it a 7 out of 10?

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #79
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
Where is this Logan backlash? Just because someone dared to give it a 7 out of 10?

I'm more like 6.5 myself but I think its because its was implied overrated not because of a rating.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #80
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Logan. It is certainly a good film, but it is nowhere near the best CBM since TDK level that people have been praising it as. I'd definitely take TDKR, GOTG, Civil War, and Deadpool over Logan.
Pretty much my feelings.

I think more people will start noticing it after the hype.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #81
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
I'm more like 6.5 myself but I think its because its was implied overrated not because of a rating.
I don't think it's overrated,just a bit overhyped. It's a well-made movie but imo not game-changing nor on par with TDK or others. I gave it a 8.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #82
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I thought Logan was well done, but I did check my watch by the time they reached where they were trying to get to.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #83
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

I'm personally trying to be more or less silent about Logan, because I feel flaws of the film are less important, than studios allowing filmmakers to make a bit different kind of films. I didn't like Logan, but if, as a result of Logan's success, we will get more variety among CBMs, I'm willing to leave my displeasure behind.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #84
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not even a week old and the backlash to Logan has begun.
I didn't see it until yesterday.

And besides, I DO really like the film, but I think it is somewhat overrated when I'm seeing scores like 10/10 from a lot of people. That puts it in the same territory as something like Fury Road, and I just don't think Logan is anywhere near the quality of Fury Road. Shane, the movie that this film pays homage to several times, was also way better.

I don't even think it is Mangold's best film. I thought 3:10 to Yuma was better, and that was a film with a lot of similarities to this one.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 03-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #85
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I don't think Logan is the best CBM since TDK. I don't even think it's the best X-Men movie.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #86
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
I'm personally trying to be more or less silent about Logan
Yeah, right

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #87
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Pretty much my feelings.

I think more people will start noticing it after the hype.
I think more people will notice as time goes on that its standalone quality, and narrative simplicity that nevertheless has huge emotional depth, will cause it to stand out as years pass. As more interconnected movies continue to blur, Logan will shine the brighter for its aggressive stripped down approach and raw performances.

Of course, this is all conjecture at this point. Still, I feel like the fan community has similarly come back around to Dark Knight Rises, particularly in the wake of BvS' bloat and the lack of quality villains since Bane.

And villains aside, Logan will be a much more resonant film than Rises. Just a hunch.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #88
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
Yeah, right
I TRY. I barely wrote any critical posts about it. People should enjoy their hype. We will talk again when the theatrical release is finished and we have our copies on our hands.
Quote:
I think more people will notice as time goes on that its standalone quality, and narrative simplicity that nevertheless has huge emotional depth, will cause it to stand out as years pass. As more interconnected movies continue to blur, Logan will shine the brighter for its aggressive stripped down approach and raw performances.
My problems with it has nothing to do with it's connectivity or lack of to other films, nor simplicity. GotG isn't complex either. I like both stand-alone films and not so stand-alone. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Of course there's a chance I'm wrong and it's indeed a masterpiece and deserves all the praise it gets. I need to examine it more closely.
Quote:
And villains aside, Logan will be a much more resonant film than Rises. Just a hunch.
I don't think TDKR was that resonant. While I enjoyed it immensely more, it didn't achieve anything, unlike BB and TDK. Just a mostly satisfying conclusion. Logan (along with Deadpool) has a chance to start a new wave of CBM films.

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 03-08-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #89
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I didn't see it until yesterday.

And besides, I DO really like the film, but I think it is somewhat overrated when I'm seeing scores like 10/10 from a lot of people. That puts it in the same territory as something like Fury Road, and I just don't think Logan is anywhere near the quality of Fury Road. Shane, the movie that this film pays homage to several times, was also way better.

I don't even think it is Mangold's best film. I thought 3:10 to Yuma was better, and that was a film with a lot of similarities to this one.
I agree Shane is better. Fury Road is also better, especially in terms of visual ambition and execution. With that said, I at least felt a more emotional pain for the characters of Logan than I did for Fury Road--not saying it's better, but it taps into something different.

Shane is an interesting comparison. While the classic is obviously the more influential and masterful film, it is very much a film about small people with small concerns that has epic emotional resonance. I think Logan strives for the same quality (obviously) and succeeds in a way that no superhero movie before it has. Given time, yes I think that will become clear as other films fade but this one remains clear in cultural memory.

I also love 3:10 to Yuma. I also thought it was his best film until Logan. I now might give Logan the edge. I would need to see it again.

--John Adams
Old 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #90
Hammer!
Side-Kick

The consensus from my large circle of comic book fans is that Logan is a really good movie, but a bad X-Men/Wolverine movie. I haven't seen it but that was the vibe I got from the first trailer on. Totally can understand OutofBoose's disappointment.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #91
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
I TRY. I barely wrote any critical posts about it. People should enjoy their hype. We will talk again when the theatrical release is finished and we have our copies on our hands.My problems with it has nothing to do with it's connectivity or lack of to other films, nor simplicity. GotG isn't complex either. I like both stand-alone films and not so stand-alone. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Of course there's a chance I'm wrong and it's indeed a masterpiece and deserves all the praise it gets. I need to examine it more closely.
I don't think TDKR was that resonant. While I enjoyed it immensely more, it didn't achieve anything, unlike BB and TDK. Just a mostly satisfying conclusion. Logan (along with Deadpool) has a chance to start a new wave of CBM films.
Eh, as we've discussed in the past, Rises still seems prominent, with folks five years on still talking about Bane, making comparisons between him and Trump, and just the aesthetic of it. I think it has lasted longer in the pop culture than most superhero movies at any studio as a result. That ending will stick too.

And I never said Logan is a masterpiece. I do think it is a great film though and one that is full of depth and resonance despite telling a tale with utmost economic simplicity. That kind of combination is why I think it will linger, plus Jackman and Stewart turning in their best performances as their final ones. It feels like a real, full movie. Not a piece of a puzzle that is a stepping stone to something else.

--John Adams
Old 03-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #92
Hammer!
Side-Kick

I don't see Rises resonating with people anymore at all either. Bane is still relevant, but in a manner of people making fun of him.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #93
Bats123
Master Chief

Hot take: Avengers is overrated, i really like the movie but now years after the hype died down, its a good movie but not an amazing masterpiece at all.

btw, Logan is my 2nd favorite CBM of all time now, not sorry.

Bats123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #94
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

The Avengers is still tied with Winter Soldier as my favorite MCU movie.

And I think Logan, unlike some of the x-men movies and even some MCU movies, will age much better.

Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #95
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
I don't see Rises resonating with people anymore at all either. Bane is still relevant, but in a manner of people making fun of him.
Making fun of him or enjoying the performance. Either way, he has had more of an impact on pop culture than any MCU film not called The Avengers (2012 to be specific) or Guardians of the Galaxy in the past five years. There is a reason for that.

I just plainly disagree when folks are referencing it post-Trump inauguration. That shows a persistence in culture that most superhero movies lack.

--John Adams
Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #96
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
I don't think it's overrated,just a bit overhyped. It's a well-made movie but imo not game-changing nor on par with TDK or others. I gave it a 8.
I thought Logan was brilliant at times, and it pulled my heartstrings at the end. Yet it's difficult for me to avoid comparing it to its creative inspiration, which dwarfs the film's story.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #97
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Logan will endure I think. The online fan presence is bigger and more toxic than ever, but I'm confident it'll sit alongside the likes of TDK as a genre-defying stand out. Well earned to all those involved, particularly Jackman.

It'll be criticised, for sure. TDK isn't the special snowflake it is made out to be. Plot holes you can drive a truck through. It's magic when it works though, and that is what matters in the end.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:06 AM   #98
King23DC
Banned User

Hmm ...

Severely OVERRATED:
Dr. Strange
Civil War
Deadpool (enjoyed it tho)
Antman
X-Men DOFP
GOTG
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Thor
Cap First Avenger
Kick Ass
Batman Returns

Notice any similarities in this list?

Underrated:
BvS
TMNT '14
Man of Steel
TDK Rises
X-Men First Class
Iron Man 2
Super
Blade 2
Blade
TMNT '90

King23DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:08 AM   #99
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:18 AM   #100
King23DC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Logan will endure I think. The online fan presence is bigger and more toxic than ever, but I'm confident it'll sit alongside the likes of TDK as a genre-defying stand out. Well earned to all those involved, particularly Jackman.

It'll be criticised, for sure. TDK isn't the special snowflake it is made out to be. Plot holes you can drive a truck through. It's magic when it works though, and that is what matters in the end.
Lol Logan isn't TDK level. But it is very good. Not great however. Certainly not an instant classic game changer like TDK. Need a great antagonist for that sort of thing. Logan lacked.

Oh and there are plot holes in every movie, brush.

Especially if you comb over with a fine tooth comb. That's not ultimately what makes a movie good anyway.

King23DC is offline   Reply With Quote