The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Is Snyder's DC trilogy the worst Superhero film trilogy?
Yes 64 59.81%
No, there are worse superhero film trilogies 23 21.50%
No, I like the Snyder DC trilogy 10 9.35%
I'm Not Sure 10 9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #51
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Default Re: Is Snyder's DCEU Trilogy the worst Superhero film trilogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I still love the first two Blade movies, so I can't call the trilogy bad. It helps I like Wesley Snipes, vampires, Ron Perlman, and GDT.
Yeah Blade is really good, Blade 2 is actually pretty great, improving on the original in every way. Blade 3 being bad doesn't knock the trilogy down all that far.

I really think the answer to this question is "Yes." That is to say, thinking in terms of superhero trilogies, I can't think of any that are worse. If Tim Story's Fantastic Four 3 got made, it would probably take the cake. But it didn't. So that leaves us with this.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #52
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
So, here's a question:

Can anyone actually think of a worse big budget, major studio movie trilogy in general?

I can't.
Star Wars prequels and The Hobbit come to mind. If I were ranking the three it would be:

1) Hobbit Trilogy
2) Snyder DCEU
3) Star Wars Prequels

The Matrix Trilogy is saved from this list by The Matrix. The Matrix in and of itself is amazing. The sequels are both piss poor. But the original keeps it from being on this list.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #53
psylockolussus
Fierce User

How about Taken?

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #54
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
How about Taken?
Meh. I have a hard time considering Taken to be part of the equation. The first one is really good. Its not revolutionary or anything, but I am hard pressed to think of a time I have had more fun at the cinema than watching Taken. The sequels are more of the same...Liam Neeson being a bad ass. And while the mileage on that eventually wears thin, it has its moments of fun.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #55
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

yerp

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #56
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
How about Taken?
Its a ridiculous concept stretched over 3 films but done in a competent way.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #57
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Default Re: Is Snyder's DCEU Trilogy the worst Superhero film trilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Star Wars prequels and The Hobbit come to mind. If I were ranking the three it would be:

1) Hobbit Trilogy
2) Snyder DCEU
3) Star Wars Prequels

The Matrix Trilogy is saved from this list by The Matrix. The Matrix in and of itself is amazing. The sequels are both piss poor. But the original keeps it from being on this list.
Oh god. The prequels. How could I have forgotten about the prequels??????

Come back Zaddy! All is forgiven! Fill me with your muddy CG and miserable world view!

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #58
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
How about Taken?
Not sure this really counts as big budget, major studio...

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #59
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

And just to clarify, there are tons of trilogies that have weak links. Heck, there are tons where only the first movie is good (the Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean, Robocop, The Hangover, Jurassic Park, etc), but there are very few that I can think of that are just duds from start to finish.

The Snyder DCEU trilogy comes to mind. As does Hobbit and the Star Wars prequels. But that is really all I can think of. Its possible that I am missing something. But the closest contender I can get is Transformers. And even then, the original was exactly what it should've been. A fun movie about giant robots beating each other up. Like Taken, the mileage eventually wears thin. But the original saves it from being on that list.

Last edited by Matt; 11-24-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #60
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

Quote:
How about Taken?
I’ve never read a Taken comic book

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #61
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
BvS kills the trilogy. Such a poor portrayal of Superman.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #62
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
It's set in the past? idk

WW suffered from the same visual aesthetic in a couple of action sequences as the rest of the Snyderverse, imo, even though Jenkins did her best to lighten it up. Also: Ares. There is a truly good film, not great, but solid, completely destroyed in its last 15 minutes. If WW ended with the death of Ludendorff and Dianas realization that humanity is totally capable of starting WWI without being influenced by Ares, I guess that movie might be the best genre movie WB did since TDK. But that unnecessary ending with the terrible CGI and the watering down of its message... I want to like the movie but this ending really makes it hard
That actually would have been a great idea. I remember many saying that they though the fight with Ares had Snyder's fingerprints all over it.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #63
Aristotelian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
At least Bay knows the type of director he is. I genuinely don't know if Snyder is aware of his short comings.
Yes, but it is worse to know something is bad and still do it, than to do it unknowingly, sincerely believing it to be good. Basically Snyder has the greater virtue.

Aristotelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #64
Aristotelian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
hear hear. I can't fathom how after Man of Steel some idiotic executives at Warner Bros thought that he was fit to direct anything else, let alone to mastermind their superhero universe with potential billions riding on it. Then they green lit JL after BvS? Unfathomable stupidity and they deserve to lose their jobs for it.
No disagreement from me. It's like they actually bash their heads against the wall all week instead of working.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #65
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotelian View Post
Yes, but it is worse to know something is bad and still do it, than to do it unknowingly, sincerely believing it to be good. Basically Snyder has the greater virtue.
I don't disagree with that, but Bay knows what his films are about. It's neither directors fault they keep getting hired to work on these big movies, not going to begrudge someone for accepting a job offer. Just perplexing WB hasn't cottoned on to Snyder's limitations, after a series of badly received films.

jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:32 PM   #66
SpideyZERO
Side-Kick

Yes.

Spider-Man, X-Men trilogies all have weak links. But they just made me feel "meh". Snyder's trilogy, especially BvS pretty much destroyed my interest in DC live action movies. My gf told me that I looked horrified and utterly crushed when watching BvS.

SpideyZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:16 AM   #67
Aristotelian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I don't disagree with that, but Bay knows what his films are about. It's neither directors fault they keep getting hired to work on these big movies, not going to begrudge someone for accepting a job offer. Just perplexing WB hasn't cottoned on to Snyder's limitations, after a series of badly received films.
It's not his fault he gets work, but it is his fault the work he does is so lacking in excellence and full of unrealised potential. Contentment with mediocrity ought to be anathema to a person with any skill whatsoever.

WB clearly doesn't care at all how their DC wing goes, else they'd have been more deliberate about the whole project. They've got other franchises which make bank for them - most notably HP and related content. It's the overriding reason I have refused to financially support anything out of the DCEU.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:23 AM   #68
Elayis
Side-Kick

Almost, but no. The Blade trilogy is terrible, I don't enjoy a single one of those movies. Next would be the X-Men prequels. I enjoy First Class, but Days of Future Past & Apocalypse are downright garbage, and I'd take any of Snyder's DC films over those two. I even prefer SS (which I despise), so that tells you how poorly I think of Singer's (but mostly Kinberg's) recent efforts.

But I'm sure when Vol. 3 comes out the GotG trilogy will take the cake (and no, I'm not joking; can't stand those movies). Sure, I prefer GotG over the two Singer/Kinberg X-films, but at least we got First Class out of it.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman

Last edited by Elayis; 11-25-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Elayis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #69
Iceman
Infinity War!

This isn't really a trilogy. And most historical trilogies started strong which is what justified the 2 sequels, so being the worst trilogy isn't the biggest criticism. This whole cinematic universe has been a huge blunder though, with multiple missteps and 'solutions' that made things even worse.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #70
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
Almost, but no. The Blade trilogy is terrible, I don't enjoy a single one of those movies. Next would be the X-Men prequels. I enjoy First Class, but Days of Future Past & Apocalypse are downright garbage, and I'd take any of Snyder's DC films over those two. I even prefer SS (which I despise), so that tells you how poorly I think of Singer's (but mostly Kinberg's) recent efforts.

But I'm sure when Vol. 3 comes out the GotG trilogy will take the cake (and no, I'm not joking; can't stand those movies). Sure, I prefer GotG over the two Singer/Kinberg X-films, but at least we got First Class out of it.
You prefer Suicide Squad over DOFP? That's fine and all, but can't say I've heard that one before!

Ene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #71
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene View Post
You prefer Suicide Squad over DOFP? That's fine and all, but can't say I've heard that one before!
tbf, DoFP is a really bad and dumb movie

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #72
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Quote:
It's a fantastic film and a top-5 superhero film for me, so we'll just have to disagree on that.

I voted yes on the poll, these are just not very good movies. Emotionally manipulative at best, pretentious and half-cooked. It's classic Snyder.

Ene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #73
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:

Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #74
Elayis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene View Post
Upon further reflection, given the fact that I at least enjoyed Quicksilver's scenes in DoFP (although the same cannot be said of Apocalypse) and I did not like a single scene in SS, I'll concede the fact that Future Past is the movie that's less bad, if only marginally.

But I agree wholeheartedly with R_Hythlodeus. It's a very clumsy and obtuse movie, and I was (and still am) shocked by how warmly it was received by both critics and fans. After loving the first two X-films, I was very disappointed by what was supposed to be Singer's triumphant return to the franchise.

But I put most of the film's failures down to Kinberg's utter incompetence as a screenwriter. After seeing that film I will never, ever pay to watch another movie of his again. I was so glad I didn't see Apocalypse in theaters, and I have no qualms about skipping Dark Phoennix either.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #75
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Consensus wise

Three consistently good movies
TDK & CA

Two good plus one mediocre to bad movie
X-Men (Original), Spider-Man, Thor, X-Men (New) and Blade

At least one good movie, debatable second movie
Iron Man, Wolverine

Now even if we can all agree that Man of Steel is the "best" of the Snyder Trilogy, I don't see how it can be overall agreed that it's better than say the first Iron Man or Logan (best of each respective trilogy).

So if Snyder's Trilogy is considered a comic book trilogy, then I have to say yeah, as of right now it's the worst.

Last edited by Erzengel; 11-25-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Erzengel is online now   Reply With Quote