The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What Superhero Team Up Movie Was Better?
The Avengers (2012) 142 92.21%
Justice League (2017) 12 7.79%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #326
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers (2012) vs Justice League (2017)

Well Justice League was basically an Avengers knock-off that couldn't even follow the formula of starting with solo movies. So The Avengers.

lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:11 AM   #327
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
TA reached triple digits before JL reached double.
Can't say I'm surprised at that disparity.

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you die, walk it off."--Captain America
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:24 AM   #328
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Rickard View Post
Lastly, a Magnus Robot Fighter movie could be great, but only if you can find an actor who looks good in a miniskirt and go-go boots.
You are absolutely right , but he's no more with Valiant.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:53 AM   #329
Consona
Side-Kick

Both films were not what I expected them to be but I enjoyed JL much more. (Frankly, Avengers is one of my least favorite MCU films so it was not that hard to make up my mind which movie to vote.)

Consona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #330
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

JL was basically a second rate Avengers bootleg.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #331
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
JL was basically a second rate Avengers bootleg.
That's an unfair criticism. The Justice League as a property actually pre-dates the Avengers.

Just because the Avengers film adaptation came out first doesn't mean JL for all its flaws is a rip-off.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #332
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
That's an unfair criticism. The Justice League as a property actually pre-dates the Avengers.

Just because the Avengers film adaptation came out first doesn't mean JL for all its flaws is a rip-off.
I think it was implied he was taliking about the movies. The movie version was definately a poor Avengers wannabe. Some story beats were almost identical.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #333
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
I think it was implied he was taliking about the movies. The movie version was definately a poor Avengers wannabe. Some story beats were almost identical.
How could two super-hero team-ups not come off as similar though? The entire history of Marvel and DC are similar characters and general plot points.

If/When Darkseid is introduced are people going to say he's a Thanos rip-off by WB?

JL had flaws as a film but the concept itself isn't a rip-off of the avengers. The execution was the main issue.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #334
OcStat
Side-Kick

You know what's funny, and again I haven't seen Justice League... but the entire DCEU comes off very reactionary. Man of Steel could have been a solid foundation but they tried to catch up to Marvel to quickly. JL seems to be trying to replicate the Avengers without (as many have mentioned) putting in the full time and effort which Marvel knew was necessary.

Now the funny part, Civil War actually was green light Feige in reaction to WB's reveal for BvS.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #335
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
How could two super-hero team-ups not come off as similar though? The entire history of Marvel and DC are similar characters and general plot points.

If/When Darkseid is introduced are people going to say he's a Thanos rip-off by WB?

JL had flaws as a film but the concept itself isn't a rip-off of the avengers. The execution was the main issue.
Of course the concept is not a rip-off, I agree with you. But I feel they did very little in terms of plot-character dynamics to differentiate them. I don't know, maybe they should have started with an Earthly threat?

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #336
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

This is not really a contest. Avengers is just superior. JL had a weak story and felt very rushed, Avengers is much more methodically paced and the overall story just works better in the Avengers. Loki is a memorable villain, Steppenwolf is not. Can 10 things even be said about his character? I would struggle to try. I felt the JL cast had chemistry, but much of the movie is spent trying to figure out Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. With how the solos worked in phase 1, we the audience had more loyalty to them going into Avengers.

I did not think JL was terrible, but it had several issues. Avengers still stands as my favorite CBM. Avengers was an event, and JL just never feels like it is an event. Picture the battle of New York or Sokovia, and you see each hero on their own mission (sometimes meeting others during the battle), waves of henchmen, civilians being saved everywhere, etc. In JL, we have like 1 Russian family in Peril, Batman standing around not doing much once they reach Steppenwolf, and far fewer things happening in the battle. For a movie so big, it felt so small. It was not epic and lacked the magic Avengers captured. I know JL2 is at risk due to the BO performance, but I want to see the JL2 teased in JL. It is a solid sequel idea and different from what Marvel has done. Has potential. JL just never reached its potential, IMO.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 11-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #337
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
That's either a disservice to AOU or really raising up JL.

Personally I think it'd be JL vs. Apocalypse.
That is about where I see it also. I think those 2 films are equal in quality terms. Both Avengers films are superior to JL in almost every aspect.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #338
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:

JL isn't a rip off. But it comes across like a poor mans Avengers... Even though it's featuring 3 of the top 5 superheroes! Shocking waste of potential.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #339
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

I did not think JL was terrible, but it had several issues. Avengers still stands as my favorite CBM. Avengers was an event, and JL just never feels like it is an event. Picture the battle of New York or Sokovia, and you see each hero on their own mission (sometimes meeting others during the battle), waves of henchmen, civilians being saved everywhere, etc. In JL, we have like 1 Russian family in Peril, Batman standing around not doing much once they reach Steppenwolf, and far fewer things happening in the battle. For a movie so big, it felt so small. It was not epic and lacked the magic Avengers captured. I know JL2 is at risk due to the BO performance, but I want to see the JL2 teased in JL. It is a solid sequel idea and different from what Marvel has done. Has potential. JL just never reached its potential, IMO.
Yeah, that was so stupid. Was WB just trying to cut corners by not hiring extras? Literally you see NO ONE in that town other than that family. Yet apparently there are a ton of people we just never see. Also, I'd like to know how Superman ripped an entire building full of people out of the ground and flew them to safety without the structure collapsing in on itself and killing everyone inside.

Deck Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #340
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The whole thing is just kind of depressing to me. I've always been a Marvel fan first and foremost since I was a kid, but growing up I used to watch Superfriends and loved those Christopher Reeves Superman movies (the first two at least). Batman '89 came out the summer after I graduated High School, and I remember how bit it was back then. You went around town and saw the Bat-signal everywhere. I remember the first time I saw the trailer for it, it was when I went to go see Rain Man with my girlfriend at the time.

So I have a lot of nostalgic memories of DC stuff growing up and I think this series could have been a counterpoint to Avengers with hopefully both franchises making themselves better.

I know many people think I'm a DC hater, I'm not. But I do hate the direction that WB has gone in. I think had they convinced Christian Bale to sign on for these films (and all it would have taken is money), that this whole thing might have turned out different.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #341
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The whole thing is just kind of depressing to me. I've always been a Marvel fan first and foremost since I was a kid, but growing up I used to watch Superfriends and loved those Christopher Reeves Superman movies (the first two at least). Batman '89 came out the summer after I graduated High School, and I remember how bit it was back then. You went around town and saw the Bat-signal everywhere. I remember the first time I saw the trailer for it, it was when I went to go see Rain Man with my girlfriend at the time.

So I have a lot of nostalgic memories of DC stuff growing up and I think this series could have been a counterpoint to Avengers with hopefully both franchises making themselves better.

I know many people think I'm a DC hater, I'm not. But I do hate the direction that WB has gone in. I think had they convinced Christian Bale to sign on for these films (and all it would have taken is money), that this whole thing might have turned out different.
Maybe. But you would have still had Zack Snyder at the helm of (at least) BvS. So even though Bale would have lent some credibility and would have perhaps made the DCEU feel more like an established universe, it still might have gone over poorly.

But I do wonder if that was the initial plan. I know Snyder is supposedly obsessed with The Dark Knight Returns, but I always found it strange that they chose to introduce their new Batman as a character who had already been operating for decades. The very likely wanted Bale to come back and he probably wanted nothing to do with it.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #342
The Endless
WE are Groot

I think it'd be cool if DC just did films of individual stories.

Imagine Cuaron on TDKR or Arkham Asylum. Brad Bird's All Star Superman.

I've been saying for years that there is so much untapped potential with the Vertigo line as well. What about Villeneuve for Sandman? That'd be so cool.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #343
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Rickard View Post
Maybe. But you would have still had Zack Snyder at the helm of (at least) BvS. So even though Bale would have lent some credibility and would have perhaps made the DCEU feel more like an established universe, it still might have gone over poorly.

But I do wonder if that was the initial plan. I know Snyder is supposedly obsessed with The Dark Knight Returns, but I always found it strange that they chose to introduce their new Batman as a character who had already been operating for decades. The very likely wanted Bale to come back and he probably wanted nothing to do with it.
And boy, was that a smart decision.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #344
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
And boy, was that a smart decision.
Hahahaha you’re damn right.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #345
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dc...202632214/amp/

Quote:
Warner Bros.’ corporate leaders at Time Warner support the moves and are said to be unhappy with the financial performance of “Justice League.” The film was intended to be DC’s answer to Marvel’s “Avengers,” uniting the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman under the banner of a team of world-saving superheroes. With a budget reported to be as high as $300 million, it represents an expensive bet. After three weeks of release, it has managed to gross $570.3 million worldwide. In contrast, the first “Avengers” film racked up $1.5 billion.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #346
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

I'm not even much of an Avengers fan, but the film is miles ahead Justice League. There's just no competition whatsoever.

Ene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #347
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I think it'd be cool if DC just did films of individual stories.

Imagine Cuaron on TDKR or Arkham Asylum. Brad Bird's All Star Superman.

I've been saying for years that there is so much untapped potential with the Vertigo line as well. What about Villeneuve for Sandman? That'd be so cool.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:22 AM   #348
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Anyone else gets the feeling this thread exists to make us cry again that we got incoherent chaos for what should be the biggest superhero team-up movie while the B-team got a glorious first movie?

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #349
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Anyone else gets the feeling this thread exists to make us cry again that we got incoherent chaos for what should be the biggest superhero team-up movie while the B-team got a glorious first movie?
Justice League IMO is a cautionary tale. Marvel cares about the MCU brand and its reputation. We can see the care they put into their films, and Feige genuinely seems to value putting out a quality product. Justice League was a response to the vast money Avengers made, but the DCEU just became a mess of in-fighting, corporate meddling, etc. What we ultimately got was a Justice League movie that basically strives bascially just to exist, and people had no interest in it. The MCU built toward the Avengers with a plan, and even looking at the early BO of their films in phase 1, its amazing the Avengers did what it did and became the brand it is now. Now Marvel has the freedom to basically do whatever they want, and we trust them largely. DC just never got that loyalty from it fanbase or the GA, and they never learned from their mistakes (Wonder Woman aside).

Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #350
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

DCEU is the embodiment of the price of failure. The writing was on the wall from MoS but heads were happy to stay stuck in the sand.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote