The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?
Lego Batman 0 0%
Logan 52 37.96%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 10 7.30%
Wonder Woman 10 7.30%
Spider-Man: Homecoming 14 10.22%
Thor: Ragnarok 48 35.04%
Justice League 3 2.19%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #76
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,765
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Wonder Woman

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:43 AM   #77
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"
 
Johnny-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,374
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

1. Logan

2. GOTG Vol. 2
3. Thor: Ragnarok

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
5. Wonder Woman

Don't care about the others.

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #78
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!
 
ludovica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Seoul
Posts: 1,081
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I left JL off my previous list because when I posted it, I hadn't seen the film yet. After having seen it, I'm still leaving it off. This is a "best of" thread and the word "best" should not be associated with Justice League.
Savage.

__________________
"I'll hit'im where it hurts: in the civilians!" - Ramses IV

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #79
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 34,100
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

I’ll be honest I thought WW, GOTG2 and Spider-Man Homecoming (which I find over rated) to be putting up a better fight in this poll.

__________________
2017 movie ratings out of 10:

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Star Wars: The Last Jedi-8(11)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(12)Get Out-8(13)John Wick 2-8(14)Split-8(15)Kingsman: TGC-8(16)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(17)Justice League-7(18)Alien Covenant-7(19)Ghost In The Shell-7(20)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(21)The Dark Tower-4(22)Transformers: TLK-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #80
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,805
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

I thought Wondy would not GOTG or HC

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #81
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The City
Posts: 12,139
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

I don't love Logan, I have problems with it, but I have no problem with it winning this poll because I support the approach. We need more unique, stand-alone-ish CBMs.

__________________
Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #82
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 34,100
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I thought Wondy would not GOTG or HC
HC was being called the best MCU movie ever when it came out by quite a few posters.

__________________
2017 movie ratings out of 10:

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Star Wars: The Last Jedi-8(11)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(12)Get Out-8(13)John Wick 2-8(14)Split-8(15)Kingsman: TGC-8(16)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(17)Justice League-7(18)Alien Covenant-7(19)Ghost In The Shell-7(20)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(21)The Dark Tower-4(22)Transformers: TLK-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #83
Iceman
Infinity War!
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 107,021
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I thought Wondy would not GOTG or HC
I expected WW to be higher too.

__________________
Xbox GT: BAHAMUT ZERO X 145,527 G
X-MEN - AVENGERS - JUSTICE LEAGUE
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #84
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,805
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
HC was being called the best MCU movie ever when it came out by quite a few posters.
Maaaan every MCU movie that comes out is the best of ever for like a few months

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #85
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The City
Posts: 12,139
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

I'm surprised Ragnarok has this many votes.

__________________
Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #86
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,805
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
I'm surprised Ragnarok has this many votes.
It's fun and it was released most recently. If Spidey and Ragnarok had switched release dates Im sure the poll would have Spidey in 1st

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #87
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The City
Posts: 12,139
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Makes sense.

__________________
Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #88
HammerDown
High Tide Or Low Tide
 
HammerDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,537
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Thor Ragnarok has enough merits of it's own to be most people's favorite comic book movie of 2017 independently of it's later release date having any effect on people's choice.

HammerDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #89
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The City
Posts: 12,139
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

I think freshness has enough influence. Especially in case when the competition (Homecoming, Vol. 2, Logan, Wonder Woman) isn't significantly worse or better.

__________________
Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #90
HammerDown
High Tide Or Low Tide
 
HammerDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,537
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
I think freshness has enough influence. Especially in case when the competition (Homecoming, Vol. 2, Logan, Wonder Woman) isn't significantly worse or better.
I'm not so sure of that. In terms of an overall, all time ranking i maybe could see that being a factor but i think people have enough discernment to choose from movies that range in just a few months of release from each other.

Let's ask the same question next year when the dust has settled and let's see what people's opinion is... if it has or not changed. Right now for the majority(78% of the voters), their opinion seems pretty clear, it's either Thor Ragnarok or Logan for favorite comic book movie of 2017.

HammerDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #91
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 34,100
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Maaaan every MCU movie that comes out is the best of ever for like a few months
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
It's fun and it was released most recently. If Spidey and Ragnarok had switched release dates Im sure the poll would have Spidey in 1st
It’s definitely a factor or trend in these polls. The good CBM that’s newest tends to get a few more votes because it’s more fresh in the mind. Then a year or so later when it’s been re-watched and more of its flaws noticed, opinion of it goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
I'm not so sure of that. In terms of an overall, all time ranking i maybe could see that being a factor but i think people have enough discernment to choose from movies that range in just a few months of release from each other.

Let's ask the same question next year when the dust has settled and let's see what people's opinion is... if it has or not changed. Right now for the majority(78% of the voters), their opinion seems pretty clear, it's either Thor Ragnarok or Logan for favorite comic book movie of 2017.
It’s been a trend on polls on here for years, see what I say above.

__________________
2017 movie ratings out of 10:

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Star Wars: The Last Jedi-8(11)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(12)Get Out-8(13)John Wick 2-8(14)Split-8(15)Kingsman: TGC-8(16)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(17)Justice League-7(18)Alien Covenant-7(19)Ghost In The Shell-7(20)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(21)The Dark Tower-4(22)Transformers: TLK-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #92
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,304
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Maaaan every MCU movie that comes out is the best of ever for like a few months
This doesn't align with my experiences. You might get a small amount of people saying something like, like you can with almost anything (and that would go for other franchises as well, not least DC which has far more users discussing their films here than any other franchise), that but I doubt you can show me a bunch of people saying that for Ragnarok, Homecoming and GotG2.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #93
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!
 
ludovica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Seoul
Posts: 1,081
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
Right now for the majority(78% of the voters), their opinion seems pretty clear, it's either Thor Ragnarok or Logan for favorite comic book movie of 2017.
I know what you meant, but I have to say that for me it would be between Ragnarok and GotG2.
We could express only our first pick here.

__________________
"I'll hit'im where it hurts: in the civilians!" - Ramses IV

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #94
Kane52630
Crescendolls User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York Subway
Posts: 90,461
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Logan, no question.

It's a movie that belongs in the upper echelon of CBMs. If it weren't for Logan, it would probably be Spider-Man Homecoming.

__________________
Your Eyes | Trevor Something
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #95
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 29,009
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
HC was being called the best MCU movie ever when it came out by quite a few posters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Maaaan every MCU movie that comes out is the best of ever for like a few months
Careful if you point out that irony, they will imply you're being a hater.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #96
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 34,100
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Careful if you point out that irony, they will imply you're being a hater.
Of course

__________________
2017 movie ratings out of 10:

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Star Wars: The Last Jedi-8(11)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(12)Get Out-8(13)John Wick 2-8(14)Split-8(15)Kingsman: TGC-8(16)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(17)Justice League-7(18)Alien Covenant-7(19)Ghost In The Shell-7(20)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(21)The Dark Tower-4(22)Transformers: TLK-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #97
Visualiza
Jimmy Scrambles
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 2,117
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
This doesn't align with my experiences. You might get a small amount of people saying something like, like you can with almost anything (and that would go for other franchises as well, not least DC which has far more users discussing their films here than any other franchise), that but I doubt you can show me a bunch of people saying that for Ragnarok, Homecoming and GotG2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
This doesn't align with my experiences. You might get a small amount of people saying something like, like you can with almost anything (and that would go for other franchises as well, not least DC which has far more users discussing their films here than any other franchise), that but I doubt you can show me a bunch of people saying that for Ragnarok, Homecoming and GotG2.
Agreed. These "every new MCU movie is the best evar!1!" comments are little more than a backhanded way for some folks to thumb their noses at Marvel. The resentment is almost palpable. It also seems to imply that the fans are fickle, which is probably true to an extent, but certainly not appreciably more than in any other fanbase.

We have indeed seen, especially lately, each new MCU release getting some sort of superlative praise, whether it's "funniest", "best yet", "most fun", or whatever. Thing is, you can't really cry foul if that isn't coming from the same exact people. Aside from the obvious fact that traffic always increases during the theatrical run of newer movies, the reason we see this sort of reaction is twofold imo.

1. Marvel has attained a wide-ranging and diverse fanbase. To that end, there's bound to be something for everyone to enjoy, so of course you're going to see different groups of people singing the latest MCU film's praises. That still doesn't necessarily mean that said praise is somehow undeserved, or that it can be attributed to recency bias, which brings me to my next point:

2. Their movies are usually of a higher quality than they have any business being (especially after 17 films), and they've only been getting better lately. It's obvious from this year's releases alone that they're addressing some of their most common criticisms, which they certainly didn't need to since their success makes it easy for them to rest on their laurels. Look at Homecoming. The second* reboot of a character that only made his debut in 2002, and it was cobbled together (& sandwiched right into Phase 3, no less) in the wake a deal made just 2 years prior. HC really should've been an unmitigated disaster, but Marvel turned it into a home run. It was entertaining, wasn't derivative of the previous franchises, and still managed to do the character justice. Compare that to recent reboots like TASM & MoS, 2 films that were beat for beat remakes of their own superior predecessors, but also managed to completely miss the mark, all while having bigger budgets and more time to plan. I don't even think HC is as good as Raimi's first two, but what it managed to accomplish is pretty astonishing considering the circumstances.

tl;dr - Combine a huge sea of potential fans with a substantial catalog of crowd-pleasing action movies and yeah, you're gonna get several different people calling different films superlative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Careful if you point out that irony, they will imply you're being a hater.
Personally, I think there's nothing but spite behind those kinds of comments.
You disagree with the poll results up to now. That's cool. What's not cool is insinuating that the people who voted for Thor are fickle.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Crit Hulk
One should never confuse tone with actual gravitas, meaning, importance, or insight.
Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #98
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!
 
ludovica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Seoul
Posts: 1,081
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Besides, it's mathematically very correct and possible that every new MCU movie is the best ever in the opinion of some people.
It is the simplest arithmetic progression.

Not Marvel's fault their product is so good.

__________________
"I'll hit'im where it hurts: in the civilians!" - Ramses IV

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #99
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 29,009
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Agreed. These "every new MCU movie is the best evar!1!" comments are little more than a backhanded way for some folks to thumb their noses at Marvel. The resentment is almost palpable. It also seems to imply that the fans are fickle, which is probably true to an extent, but certainly not appreciably more than in any other fanbase.

We have indeed seen, especially lately, each new MCU release getting some sort of superlative praise, whether it's "funniest", "best yet", "most fun", or whatever. Thing is, you can't really cry foul if that isn't coming from the same exact people. Aside from the obvious fact that traffic always increases during the theatrical run of newer movies, the reason we see this sort of reaction is twofold imo.

1. Marvel has attained a wide-ranging and diverse fanbase. To that end, there's bound to be something for everyone to enjoy, so of course you're going to see different groups of people singing the latest MCU film's praises. That still doesn't necessarily mean that said praise is somehow undeserved, or that it can be attributed to recency bias, which brings me to my next point:

2. Their movies are usually of a higher quality than they have any business being (especially after 17 films), and they've only been getting better lately. It's obvious from this year's releases alone that they're addressing some of their most common criticisms, which they certainly didn't need to since their success makes it easy for them to rest on their laurels. Look at Homecoming. The second* reboot of a character that only made his debut in 2002, and it was cobbled together (& sandwiched right into Phase 3, no less) in the wake a deal made just 2 years prior. HC really should've been an unmitigated disaster, but Marvel turned it into a home run. It was entertaining, wasn't derivative of the previous franchises, and still managed to do the character justice. Compare that to recent reboots like TASM & MoS, 2 films that were beat for beat remakes of their own superior predecessors, but also managed to completely miss the mark, all while having bigger budgets and more time to plan. I don't even think HC is as good as Raimi's first two, but what it managed to accomplish is pretty astonishing considering the circumstances.

tl;dr - Combine a huge sea of potential fans with a substantial catalog of crowd-pleasing action movies and yeah, you're gonna get several different people calling different films superlative.



Personally, I think there's nothing but spite behind those kinds of comments.
You disagree with the poll results up to now. That's cool. What's not cool is insinuating that the people who voted for Thor are fickle.
I actually really liked Homecoming a lot. I do think it is one of the top 5 or better MCU movies. But I remember arguing with folks guardians wasn't some great movie and being treated by insinuation, yes, to be a hater. Same with Doctor Strange, which is now widely regarded as a middling MCU movie, but if you pointed out it was an Iron Man clone one year ago from today, you were persona non grata to many posters.

So I am noting a trend that actually exists. I am really curious if Thor 3 will be considered some great movie in a year from now. Yes, I don't think it is. But I am more curious about what the fan consensus will be.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #100
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The City
Posts: 12,139
Default Re: Best CBM of 2017

I'd rank 2017 films like this (minus JL).

Cinematic value:
1. Logan
2. Wonder Woman
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Lego Batman

Personal enjoyment:
1. Spider-Man: Homecoming
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Logan
5. Wonder Woman
6. Lego Batman

__________________
Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.