The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What Superhero Team Up Movie Was Better?
The Avengers (2012) 130 92.20%
Justice League (2017) 11 7.80%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #51
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Default Re: The Avengers (2012) vs Justice League (2017)

Only WW can be compared to an average MCU film.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #52
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #53
Speed Force
"There was an idea..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Age of Ultron is underrated imo. It didn't quite stick the landing, and some choices didn't pan out, but on the whole it's pretty much on par with the first Avengers for me. Besides all the great scenes already mentioned, it was just really satisfying to see the Avengers as a functional team together for a movie. Yeah, it's more of a Saturday morning cartoon kinda movie compared to top tier MCU, but I still dig it.

JL on the other hand I have no desire to ever rewatch.
Pretty much how I feel

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #54
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Based on the reviews and the reactions, I believe that Justice League is on par with the lower tier MCU. And that is a considerable improvement. The quality in the franchise is going up and Aquaman should be great.

AlluAllu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #55
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

It's worse than every MCU film. On par with MoS for me. Has some solid moments and pieces but just doesn't hang well at all.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #56
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Well even though the Avengers is the better movie, IF you look at JL and see the emotion behind it......

Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #57
MyDudeSpidey
Marvel's

Avengers is still the most fun I’ve ever had watching a movie in theaters. The payoff after 4 years of world building was incredible.

MyDudeSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #58
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDudeSpidey View Post
Avengers is still the most fun I’ve ever had watching a movie in theaters. The payoff after 4 years of world building was incredible.
This, not the best movie ever but maybe the best cinema experience ever.
I could not rule out that I was dreaming.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #59
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Thing is I think most Marvel fans would still pick TDK lol.
When the great book of the superhero movie years is written, The Dark Knight WILL be regarded as the best ever made.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #60
Kane52630
Crescendolls User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
Troll thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
This. All day long.
Curious to know why you guys think this is a troll thread. Both are flagship team up movies for each brand. You couldn't help but to think of the comparisons... It was bound to happen anyway.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #61
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Curious to know why you guys think this is a troll thread. Both are flagship team up movies for each brand. You couldn't help but to think of the comparisons... It was bound to happen anyway.
Sure, but there is such an obvious winner here that the thread isn't really necessary. It's not like comparing Keaton to Bale or something. That would be a closer poll.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #62
Visualiza
Jimmy Scrambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
When the great book of the superhero movie years is written, The Dark Knight WILL be regarded as the best ever made.
I'd say most of us have felt that way for years now. I don't think anything from any studio's upcoming slate will be able to challenge this. My prediction for IW is that it'll be grandiose, but not quite grand.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #63
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I liked JL better then GotG2.

But it's interesting to watch The Avengers and comparing it to JL. It definitely shows how different Synder/Whedon are in their works. Had Whedon been in complete control of JL it would've been a totally different story but Snyder wants to be a Whedon but he can't quite accomplish it and thus JL misses a lot of the right moments.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #64
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

This was an obvious thread with an obvious result however, it was eventually going to be done. JL is WB's Avengers. It's an apt comparison.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #65
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
This was an obvious thread with an obvious result however, it was eventually going to be done. JL is WB's Avengers. It's an apt comparison.
It just feels kind of superfluous because we have plenty of threads to (deservedly) hate on Justice League. But whatever, it's not that important.

Aziz
Old 11-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #66
Kane52630
Crescendolls User

Greens, i'll tell you this... this thread is not coming out of hate. I had smiles when I saw JL.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #67
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Age of Ultron is underrated imo. It didn't quite stick the landing, and some choices didn't pan out, but on the whole it's pretty much on par with the first Avengers for me. Besides all the great scenes already mentioned, it was just really satisfying to see the Avengers as a functional team together for a movie. Yeah, it's more of a Saturday morning cartoon kinda movie compared to top tier MCU, but I still dig it.

JL on the other hand I have no desire to ever rewatch.
I know many people think AoU is a kiddie movie,but among other things it literally ends with Ultron and Vision agreeing that humanity is doomed. It's actually one of the saddest Marvel movies thematically.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #68
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
I know many people think AoU is a kiddie movie,but among other things it literally ends with Ultron and Vision agreeing that humanity is doomed. It's actually one of the saddest Marvel movies thematically.
It's sad on paper, but the scene you refer to doesn't have much weight to it. It doesn't inform the rest of the movie at all, it's just a way to show off Vision's personality.

Aziz
Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #69
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
The humor in Justice League over The Avengers? Blasphemy!
I'll take that charge then. I was one of those whose only, but still significant problem with the Avengers was the lack of weight the comedy was used for.

On AOU:

AoU still has better visuals than Justice League, and even avoids the lighting problems that Avengers had. AoU has better story, while its subplots are dumb, at least they are there, and while it's main plot is contradictory (Ultron is never shown to be a creation of the avengers, undermining his entire motivation), it at least is something worth thinking about.

AoU still has weak stakes-deflating humor, albeit less of it, so I'd still give the edge to Justice League. AoU's action demolishes Justice League from the opening intro with teamwork and relishing itself. AoU functions brilliantly as a mesh of the themes of IM3 and Cap2, with great setups for Thor3 and Cap3, so as a shared Universe film it's just brilliant and useful. Of course, it also still low key spits on 616 fanservice ("Avengers..." END CREDITS), so perhaps I'd give the fanservice edge to Justice League. And of course Avengers also slays JL in terms of box office and critical reception. The edge still goes to AoU.

On Ranking in the MCU:

I feel like MCU films tend to struggle with re-watchability, especially of late. I think Justice League bears at least another viewing from me, to solidify my opinion if nothing else. For me, Justice League is just 'fine,' and much of the handwringing over it has to do with the premise of this thread, that it is DC's Avengers (There's an honest trailer for ya!), and so it's compared to one of the most impactful films of the decade that also happens to be very very good.

For my money, I'll take Justice League of The Dark World's bitter disappointment and directionlessness. I'll take Justice League about on par with The Incredible Hulk's unneven tones or Ant-Man's forgettable schmuck-itude and maybe on a good day on par with Iron Man 2's chocked full universe-deferential assembly line filmmaking. But AoU this is not. IM3 this is not. Thor this is not. The First Avenger this is not. Combinations of such films, such as Wonder Woman, this is not, and it's definitely, definitely not Guardians/Avengers/Winter Soldier/Civil War level. No, no, not at all.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 11-18-2017 at 11:17 AM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #70
Speed Force
"There was an idea..."

The MCU has a ton of rewatch ability for me at least. Obviously certain movies more than others but still.

JL I didn't mind and liked it more than say Thor 2 and probably Hulk and maybe Iron Man 2 as well but that'd be about it.
I'll probably only ever watch JL again if it's on FX or something in 5 years

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #71
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Force View Post
I'll probably only ever watch JL again if it's on FX or something in 5 years
I'd rewatch only clips of it.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #72
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
It's worse than every MCU film. On par with MoS for me. Has some solid moments and pieces but just doesn't hang well at all.
I was trying to think of an MCU movie that is on par with JL. There isn't. While I think MOS is a bit better than a few of the absolute worst MCU movies, JL is just too mediocre. I do think AOU is in the same ball park though. That movie is just as hollow as Justice League, but there is a bit more competence to it.

I will also add I enjoyed JL more than AOU. If only because I had rock bottom expectations for JL and smiled for much of its dumbness. I had high expectations for AOU after loving The Avengers. I think my disappointment that it was so soulless is probably why I am so harsh on it. It is what turned me into the "MCU contrarian," I can admit.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 11-18-2017 at 12:59 PM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #73
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDudeSpidey View Post
God I l know.

I wish I could go back in time and attend the special early screening I won tickets for. Was one of the most fun events I've ever experienced. The excitement and hype was freaking so palpable you could cut it with a knife. They showed it on 8 screens and everyone walking out afterwards was geeking out and grinning ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat. It was a loooooooong one month wait to be able to see it again after that and to share in the fun with other friends.

Last edited by JtheDreamer; 11-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.
JtheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #74
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
AOU was great for the first two acts. The third act (final battle) is where it starts to unravel a bit. You could tell Whedon was exhausted by that point. There needed to be a more epic confrontation between the Avengers and Ultron. He basically became something they could punt like a football a few times.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #75
The Endless
WE are Groot

The first Avengers made me feel like I was 10 years old again. I even saw elderly couples cheering and laughing.

Nothing comes close to that experience in the cinema.

Well actually maybe Deadpool. Specifically the part where he tries to beat up Colossus. Literally every person in the room was crying with laughter.