The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
Reel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kryptonian language return in Superman/Batman? Amazon's new language in this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
It was really a shame. To be honest with you, that was my biggest issue with the movie, the English speaking aliens. Same as with Thor, and all these other movies. The vampires in Blade have their own language, but aliens from who knows where speak English? It seems arrogant. I know the whole movie magic thing obviously and have heard all possible explanations for it, like "oh maybe they learned it, blah blah blah". We all know why they decided to do it in English and I didn't like that at all. If it were just a popularity thing, then they should have spoken Mandarin. If they didn't worry about aliens speaking it in the actual movie, then just leave the languages alone at this point.
Zod and the rest of his followers could speak all languages on Earth. They're message was broadcast to every electronic device in every language.. So they obviously learnt it when they first arrived in Earth's orbit

Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Default Re: Kryptonian language return in Superman/Batman? Amazon's new language in this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel View Post
Zod and the rest of his followers could speak all languages on Earth. They're message was broadcast to every electronic device in every language.. So they obviously learnt it when they first arrived in Earth's orbit
I kind of interpreted that as the technology translating it into all Earth languages, personally, but I get what you're lying down there.

I'd like to see WW use certain words or turns of phrase in Greek...like the way multi-lingual people will speak in our cultures.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #28
Krumm
Beer Snob

Has anyone been able to decipher the text on the BvS shield in Kryptonian? I know what it translates to in English but I'm curious as to how it is written in Kryptonian -- it's tough to see considering the way it bends around the "S."

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #29
uadialej
Banned User

I have always found it weird that Wonder Woman has spent her who life somewhere else but she always sounds like she grew up down the block.

uadialej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 AM   #30
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by uadialej View Post
I have always found it weird that Wonder Woman has spent her who life somewhere else but she always sounds like she grew up down the block.
That was what was charming about Gal Gadot. She didn't sound like the girl next door. (Unless you live in Tel-Aviv) It was sort of humorous to hear all the other actresses playing Amazons trying to have the same accent as her.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Yeah would've been awesome. Maybe if we ever get Kara we'll hear her speak it.
That would be great. If they ever do a alive action version of 'the Supergirl from Krypton,' then all that woman's hard work would be put to its intended use!

As for hearing other languages being spoken among a similar group, I always just assume that they are speaking their own language anyway, but through 'movie-magic' I can understand them.

Yes, they could do it with subtitles, but what if you have actors who can't speak the language? Then you have to voice coach them, which costs money as well as for subtitles and time, and in the end it is just easier to have them bunge the accent.

Or do as they did in 'the Hunt for Red October.' They were speaking Russian but then closed in on one actor's mouth for the switch to English. Though Connery still gets razzed about being a Scottish Russian.

In the end, I'm fine with how they did it.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #32
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
That was what was charming about Gal Gadot. She didn't sound like the girl next door. (Unless you live in Tel-Aviv) It was sort of humorous to hear all the other actresses playing Amazons trying to have the same accent as her.
I thought they all did really well with that. It actually wasn't until the second viewing of the movie that I realized they were copying Gadot! Pretty neat IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
If the Amazon's speak any language other than English, I think the most likely candidate would be Greek.
Same here, and she does speak what I think native Amazonion would be when having her lingual sparring match with Sammie in the bar. She trumps him with Greek at the end, which is more than likely what they speak on Thymescira anyway.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #33
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
That would be great. If they ever do a alive action version of 'the Supergirl from Krypton,' then all that woman's hard work would be put to its intended use!

As for hearing other languages being spoken among a similar group, I always just assume that they are speaking their own language anyway, but through 'movie-magic' I can understand them.

Yes, they could do it with subtitles, but what if you have actors who can't speak the language? Then you have to voice coach them, which costs money as well as for subtitles and time, and in the end it is just easier to have them bunge the accent.
One of the charming things on TV Supergirl is sometimes Kara will spout out some phrase in Kryptonese. When they ask her what it means she tells them they wouldn't understand. Though she did explain the meaning of el mayarah.
What would be great is if Reign arrives speaking Kryptonese with Kara being the only one who can understand and talk to her. But for the reason you stated, Reign will probably speak in American English.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #34
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

^^I really like that idea! I hope they do something with that.