The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #801
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Well if you really think that SM1's CGI looks better than most CGI today then the more power to you. Some CGI will age well and others not so much.
I never said it looks better than most of the CGI today. I said it looks better than some of the CGI you see today. You yourself listed like what four shots out of the whole movie you think look dodgy, and said the rest looks good.

So you get my point. Overall the CGI holds up. Not as impressive as it sequels, or other CBMs sure, but it still holds up well.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #802
Picard Sisko
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I never said it looks better than most of the CGI today. I said it looks better than some of the CGI you see today. You yourself listed like what four shots out of the whole movie you think look dodgy, and said the rest looks good.

So you get my point.
Those four shots stand out terribly, and there is more to it than that (e.g. during some swinging shots, Spider-Man looks too weightless). The point I was trying to make is that the CGI for SM1 is a mixed bag. It either looks incredible or really horrible at different moments, so that's one of the few things that reminds me that the film is 14 years old. I don't feel like going in circles anymore so... kudos.

Picard Sisko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #803
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Those four shots stand out terribly, and there is more to it than that (e.g. during some swinging shots, Spider-Man looks too weightless). The point I was trying to make is that the CGI for SM1 is a mixed bag. It either looks incredible or really horrible at different moments, so that's one of the few things that reminds me that the film is 14 years old. I don't feel like going in circles anymore so... kudos.
"The really, really bad moments:

*spider-man climbing up the wall after Uncle Ben dies*
*unity day festival balloons*
*green goblin catching spider-man after gassing him*
*spider-man trying to catch the tram car after green goblin hits him*

The rest I think was really good, such as the final swing or Spider-Man dodging the razor bats in the burning building."

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=788

Just going by what you said. You seem to be changing your stance now. Anyway yeah kudos.

- The Joker
Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #804
Picard Sisko

I posted a few of the really bad moments, but there are more. The point I was trying to make is that the good CGI is very, very good, and the bad CGI is horrendous. That's all.

----------

Anyways, what are some of your favorite moments from SM1? I have to give it to the upside-down kiss. So iconic.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 04-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #805
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

I re-watched the trilogy as well as TASM1 as prep for TASM2. Before the marathon, I was sure TASM1 would come out on top. I forgot how magical and charming the 1st 2 Raimi Spidey films were.

Spider-Man 8/10
Spider-Man 2 8/10
Spider-Man 3 6/10
The Amazing Spider-Man 7.5/10

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #806
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
I posted a few of the really bad moments, but there are more. The point I was trying to make is that the good CGI is very, very good, and the bad CGI is horrendous. That's all.
That's not what you said. You list what you called the really bad ones, and then said the rest was really good. Now you're back tracking and saying you only posted a few, and that not all the rest were really good.

Contradiction of what you said originally.

Quote:
Anyways, what are some of your favorite moments from SM1? I have to give it to the upside-down kiss. So iconic.
"Back to formula!!!"

The wrestling arena fight

Uncle Ben's death

Times Square attack

Bridge showdown

Goblin's death

Last scene between Peter and MJ

All JJJ's scenes

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-20-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #807
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

The 1st movie was on TNT yesterday, had it playing as I was doing stuff. Still holds up quite well I think. It has this timeless sort of charm, like there's no specific things pointing out when it takes place. It's like this quasi-modern/retro thing. There's the futuristic things like the Goblin glider in Oscorp and whatnot then that stuff is contrasted with the very ordinary things like the scenes at the Parker household.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Twitter. Instagram. YouTube. DeviantArt.
Spidey_62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #808
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That's not what you said. You list what you called the really bad ones, and then said the rest was really good. Now you're back tracking and saying you only posted a few, and that not all the rest were really good.
I didn't literally mean "these are the only bad scenes." I was trying to say that other than the few bad CGI scenes, the rest of the CGI shots in the movie are really good. I'm not contradicting myself, I just didn't fully explain that in my post. I listed only the ones I could think of at that moment. Seriously, why are we still even talking about this? Why does it matter to you that much?

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 04-20-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #809
OcStat
Side-Kick

Dude, you just kept talking about yourself.

Favorite scenes in SM1, would have to be all the Green Goblin fights. All of them are pretty damn cool. I like the shot of Spidey jumping off the balloons to get to Gobby, the bit where the smash into the window together. The burning building fight. And the finale still ranks up there as one of the best hero/villain showdowns.

I also thoroughly enjoy some of the smaller character scenes too of course. When Spider-Man brings Norman's body home and Harry catches him. The talk in the car with Ben and Peter. After the funeral.

I am planning to watch Amazing this week or next, then after I watch the sequel I will revisit the Raimi films.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #810
Picard Sisko

I think another favorite moment is when the glider comes in and impales Norman after Spider-Man dodges it. As a kid I never saw that coming, and it almost disturbed me for a while. Very well done though.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #811
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

Straight up lifted that panel from the comics, Raimi did. That isn't the only one, but that's one of the most iconic that he did.

Missing you, Heath
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #812
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Straight up lifted that panel from the comics, Raimi did. That isn't the only one, but that's one of the most iconic that he did.
Such a brilliant final sequence. The location and the brutality of the action. In terms of a final fight, I don't think it's been topped yet in the franchise.

Spider-Man (2002) still holds up for me, in terms of being a film and the CGI.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #813
A Necessary Evil

Absolutely. Dunno how close it was to the script, but it was even more brutal in the novelization! Definitely one of the most fantastic finales, Raimi really nailed that 100%.

Missing you, Heath
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #814
Picard Sisko

People complain about the SM1 dialogue but like I mentioned earlier, it feels like a 60s comic book and that's part of what I like about the movie.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #815
Leenie
Side-Kick

Here's how I feel about the CGI in the first Spider-Man film:

Is it the best? Nope. Is it dated? Yup. Are there some shots that look really iffy (especially by today's standards)? Absolutely.

That said, I honestly don't care about "perfect" special effects in a movie if the movie is good enough to distract me from them. I love the story, and I'm emotionally invested in the characters, so of course I don't mind the CGI nearly as much.

I remember watching the first Ghostbusters film really recently. I LOVE that movie, but I saw one special effects shot that technically didn't look to great/looked dated, but guess what? Even though I acknowledge that, I don't really care, because Ghostbusters is a great freakin' movie.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (1989),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) Superman
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #816
Picard Sisko

I wish they were able to tie the second act of the film with Green Goblin with the first half a little more. SM1 sort of feels like two separate movies back-to-back: the first hour is issue #1 and the second hour is the second issue where Peter is now Spider-Man and he has to take down a villain.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #817
A Necessary Evil

I so agree, GG needed a bit more tinkering with for the plot. Didn't really have much of a plan, outside of being evil buds with Spidey. Honestly, most of Ghostbusters CGI sucks, in my opinion. Still a great film, however. I love the 2nd one too.

Missing you, Heath

Last edited by A Necessary Evil; 04-21-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #818
A Necessary Evil

Oh, and somewhat OT, but I went through my father's old comics today, and man, I never realized how much early Spidey he had. Just two pictures I took, and he has a majority of the earlier Spider-Man comics. I want them so bad.

Missing you, Heath
Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #819
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Absolutely. Dunno how close it was to the script, but it was even more brutal in the novelization! Definitely one of the most fantastic finales, Raimi really nailed that 100%.
There was some stuff cut out of the final fight too. I've heard that they had to cut a whole portion out to avoid an R rating. Notice after Spidey first falls into the abandoned building and gets the pumpkin bomb to the face, his costume has been ripped up all over the place and those extra rips just show up out of nowhere. There was this whole thing with razor bats attacking him and slicing him up. Also, blood flying out of his mouth was changed to spit.

I don't remember where I read about the deleted parts of the final fight, I think it might have been on the old forums they used to have on the movie website back in the day.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Twitter. Instagram. YouTube. DeviantArt.
Spidey_62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #820
Picard Sisko

I want to re-read the official novelization now. I remember Eddie Brock being in there at some point. If I recall correctly the book also explains that Norman gets the mask from his private collection but he makes some technical upgrades to fit with the rest of the costume.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #821
A Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
There was some stuff cut out of the final fight too. I've heard that they had to cut a whole portion out to avoid an R rating. Notice after Spidey first falls into the abandoned building and gets the pumpkin bomb to the face, his costume has been ripped up all over the place and those extra rips just show up out of nowhere. There was this whole thing with razor bats attacking him and slicing him up. Also, blood flying out of his mouth was changed to spit.

I don't remember where I read about the deleted parts of the final fight, I think it might have been on the old forums they used to have on the movie website back in the day.
I think the Making of Book also, but I know for a fact the final fight in the novel was those exact things happening. I wish the whole thing could've got released, it was brutal as was, but to add that...jeebus.

Quote:
I want to re-read the official novelization now. I remember Eddie Brock being in there at some point. If I recall correctly the book also explains that Norman gets the mask from his private collection but he makes some technical upgrades to fit with the rest of the costume.
As per Goblin, yep! For Brock, it was a throwaway cameo. It was something like, Peter comes into the Bugle, sees Brock, and Brock says something to the effect of "get out of my way", but said it with...(as the writer used for emphasis)....Venom.

Missing you, Heath
Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #822
Picard Sisko

Quote:
As per Goblin, yep! For Brock, it was a throwaway cameo. It was something like, Peter comes into the Bugle, sees Brock, and Brock says something to the effect of "get out of my way", but said it with...(as the writer used for emphasis)....Venom.

I love Peter David's writing. I think in his adaptation for SM3 he added a joke about Peter not having mechanical web shooters.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #823
A Necessary Evil

I believe so too, but I can't remember. I abused that book, I must have read it 100 times.

Missing you, Heath
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #824
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I saw TASM2 the other night and it was quite, but Raimi's 1st 2 movies are well ahead of either TASM movies in every way. Raimi's movies just impacted me a lot more were as the new movies I really dont feel that invested in. I will be seeing TASM 2 again to get a better grasp of my feelings but at this moment my Spiderman movie ranking goes like this:

1) Spiderman 2/2.1-10/10
2) Spiderman 9/10
3) The Amazing Spiderman 2 8/10
4) The Amazing Spiderman 8/10
5) Spiderman 3 7/10.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #825
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

SM3 was on TV and I left to go see TASM2... was a mistake haha.

I really want those behind the scenes books for SM1 & 2. I have the book for the 3rd one. Are the other 2 worth it?

Never heard about the final Spidey/Goblin being cut down. Damn that was a brutal fight. Still one of my favourite fights.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote