The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #126
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,849
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Saw it for a second time last night. Still made me cry like a baby

It's always nice when a film doesn't loose it's emotional impact on second viewing. That's when you know it's been handled well.

__________________
Superman: "I can only tell you what I believe, Diana. humankind has to be allowed to climb to its own destiny. We can't carry them there."
Flash: "But that's what she's saying. What's the point? Why should they need us at all?"
Superman: "To catch them if they fall."
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #127
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

What's the deal with the Fan Sneaks tonight? Anything special about them.

 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #128
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...
 
Wesley Dodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,417
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

It was good. I mean, it was a really fun solid Summer movie.

But it's 2009 predecessor was a better made film in every single respect.

Just my two cents.

Wesley Dodds is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #129
thestartrekker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 34
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
It was good. I mean, it was a really fun solid Summer movie.

But it's 2009 predecessor was a better made film in every single respect.

Just my two cents.
I agree, ST09, while following a formula long established now in Trek movies, (that is a villain out for revenge,) was a lot more innovative, and better for it.
Star Trek Into Darkness:

I've only seen this once, and won't be repeat viewing, so I probably won't remember everything, but here's all the nods and references to stuff that's already been done, even in ST09.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Khan- nuff said
Scotty sabotages a ship pursuing the Enterprise - TSFP
Bones performs surgery on a torpedo - TUC
The big bad ship fires on the Enterprise mid warp taking it out of action - Nemesis

Major character sacrificing himself to save the ship - TWOK, Nemesis, but they had the nerve to leave them dead at the end of the movie.( I know, get out clauses in both of them, but that presupposes there'll be a sequel, in one of those cases, there wasn't.)

Random insertion of Tribbles - STO9, TSFS
Pointless crew romances - ST09
Two characters doing a space-jump - ST09, Kirk even tells us it worked before!
The Enterprise rising up out of something for a big reveal, (somewhat dubiously in this one, but its not the biggest gripe) - ST09, the scene at Saturn was far better IMO.

All the suff from ST09 might have been new and fresh back then, that's what I liked about it, but if they make a sequel and have another space-jump and the big reveal of the Enterprise rising up out of something.......

I know there's gotta be more that I missed. Post them in spoilers if you spotted others.

thestartrekker is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #130
nite-owl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,764
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Has the movie not opened up in the US yet?

Anyway I give 7/10 my problem with the movie was that it was essentially just a rehash of Wrath of Khan but with kirk and Spock's roles reversed.

nite-owl is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #131
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 46,714
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post
Has the movie not opened up in the US yet?

Anyway I give 7/10 my problem with the movie was that it was essentially just a rehash of Wrath of Khan but with kirk and Spock's roles reversed.
there is a sneak preview today but it opens wide in the States tomorrow May 16th

__________________
Journeying to the Undying Lands in the West
So Long and thanks for all the fish
roach is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #132
Kane52630
New Cydonian User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York Subway
Posts: 92,971
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Did anyone see it in 3D? if so how was it?

__________________
NEW CYDONIA (feat. HAYLEY) | STARCADIAN
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #133
The Sage
The World's Finest
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 47,068
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Hi guys. If you are confused whether you should post spoilery information, please view this link. It's very helpful, for you and everybody else: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=457733

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #134
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

INTO DARKNESS IMAX 3D. T-minus 3 hours til launch. Boldly going....

 
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #135
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 153,039
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

The film is tremendous!

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #136
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 153,039
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Where's the review thread? I thought it opened everywhere last Thursday.

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #137
terry78
I don't die, fool
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 77,499
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Where's the review thread? I thought it opened everywhere last Thursday.
Not here, old man.

__________________
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses. - Henry Ford
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #138
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

I'll see it in 8.5 hours Hunter! Ya it does not open here until "tonight" in the U.S. You lucky Brits

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #139
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 153,039
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Not here, old man.
Get off my lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I'll see it in 8.5 hours Hunter! Ya it does not open here until "tonight" in the U.S. You lucky Brits
Heh! I only saw it today actually, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #140
Solidus
Knights of Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: First Order
Posts: 21,806
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Get off my lawn!



Heh! I only saw it today actually, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
I'm sure I will. I love Trek and loved ST09. I have a feeling this film will get me even more excited for Episode VII as well. The soundtrack of STID sure did.

__________________
"If Skywalker returns...the new Jedi will rise."-Supreme Leader Snoke

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #141
terry78
I don't die, fool
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 77,499
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

At least we all get to see Man of Steel at the same time, unless WB decides to pull some cash grab stunt between now and next month.

__________________
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses. - Henry Ford
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #142
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!
 
The Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lower East Side of New York City.
Posts: 7,230
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Get off my lawn!



Heh! I only saw it today actually, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Ive got about 5 hrs to go myself, and the fact that you enjoyed it makes me even more excited, and I was already excited!

__________________
MY TOP 5 2017 MOVIES
1. DUNKIRK
2. BLADE RUNNER 2049
3. STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
4. WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
5. LOGAN
The Chris is online now  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #143
SuperJediHero
Banned User
 
SuperJediHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,094
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

I am seeing the fan sneak screening at 8pm!!!

CAN NOT WAIT!!!

SuperJediHero is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #144
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,432
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
I agree, ST09, while following a formula long established now in Trek movies, (that is a villain out for revenge,) was a lot more innovative, and better for it.
Star Trek Into Darkness:

I've only seen this once, and won't be repeat viewing, so I probably won't remember everything, but here's all the nods and references to stuff that's already been done, even in ST09.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Khan- nuff said
Scotty sabotages a ship pursuing the Enterprise - TSFP
Bones performs surgery on a torpedo - TUC
The big bad ship fires on the Enterprise mid warp taking it out of action - Nemesis

Major character sacrificing himself to save the ship - TWOK, Nemesis, but they had the nerve to leave them dead at the end of the movie.( I know, get out clauses in both of them, but that presupposes there'll be a sequel, in one of those cases, there wasn't.)

Random insertion of Tribbles - STO9, TSFS
Pointless crew romances - ST09
Two characters doing a space-jump - ST09, Kirk even tells us it worked before!
The Enterprise rising up out of something for a big reveal, (somewhat dubiously in this one, but its not the biggest gripe) - ST09, the scene at Saturn was far better IMO.

All the suff from ST09 might have been new and fresh back then, that's what I liked about it, but if they make a sequel and have another space-jump and the big reveal of the Enterprise rising up out of something.......

I know there's gotta be more that I missed. Post them in spoilers if you spotted others.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

- "Captain Sulu does have a nice ring to it." Obviously in reference to the Excelsior.
- Sulu being acting Captain and threatening the bad guy from the ship as a distraction while Kirk, Uhura and Spock go down to a menacing planet to capture him (in non-Starfleet clothing)... Straight out of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, but with Sulu instead of Chekov. And Uhura speaking Klingon ahead of the battle was much better than old Uhura... dancing naked.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #145
Cannikin
Side-Kick
 
Cannikin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 372
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

- "Captain Sulu does have a nice ring to it." Obviously in reference to the Excelsior.
Brilliant writing. Right up there with that line from Titanic about Picasso never amounting to anything.

__________________
Whatever! Just don't tell anyone I'm Batman, or I'll kill you with my superpowers.
Cannikin is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #146
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31,136
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Well, I had lowered expectations considerably once certain spoilers came (none of which I liked the sound of), but ultimately I thought it was really well done. I loved it.

I'll have to see it a couple more times before I decide if I liked it better than ST09, though. Still, very pleasantly surprised on this one.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #147
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 153,039
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I'm sure I will. I love Trek and loved ST09. I have a feeling this film will get me even more excited for Episode VII as well. The soundtrack of STID sure did.
I came out of it feeling I'd saw a great movie and being more certain than ever that Star Wars is in the right hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris View Post
Ive got about 5 hrs to go myself, and the fact that you enjoyed it makes me even more excited, and I was already excited!
Hope you found it is good as I did.

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #148
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,432
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I came out of it feeling I'd saw a great movie and being more certain than ever that Star Wars is in the right hands.
I had significant qualms with the BIG moment in the third act (You know what I'm talking about), but I still absolutely loved the movie and, like you, feel better than ever about Star Wars. It was the scenes on "Kronos" that put it beyond a shadow of a doubt for me.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #149
Eros
Side-Kick
 
Eros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,735
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Just saw it, GREAT MOVIE, It was much better then Iron Man 3. All the actors brought their A game, and the threats and dangers were very serous and edge of your seat. easily one of the best movies I have ever seen, and the movie is like a mix of the Avengers and 2008s The Dark Knight.

__________________
"All superheroes are essentially criminals who capture other supercriminals in vigilante-style justice and engage in wanton destruction of public property during superpowered fights".
Eros is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #150
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!
 
The Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lower East Side of New York City.
Posts: 7,230
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Hope you found it is good as I did.
Oh my god did I ever. Words cant describe how I feel right now!

__________________
MY TOP 5 2017 MOVIES
1. DUNKIRK
2. BLADE RUNNER 2049
3. STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
4. WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
5. LOGAN
The Chris is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.