The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Marvel Relaunches 'West Coast Avengers' as Young Hero Team

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...comics-1112834

Quote:
The comic book series will star teen hero Kate Bishop.
With its relaunch of the core title less than a month old, Marvel Entertainment has already announced plans to expand the Avengers franchise into a second title. It’s one that is likely to thrill fans old and new alike, with the revived West Coast Avengers spinning out of the critically acclaimed recent Hawkeye run.

The new miniseries will be written by Hawkeye’s Kelly Thompson, with art by Stefano Caselli, and sees the titular star of the earlier series — Kate Bishop, teenage superhero turned Los Angeles-based private eye — gather a team of fan-favorite younger characters together for a very simple purpose: Keep L.A. in one piece.

“They all need and want something from being on that team together,” Thompson told Marvel.com. “Kate needs to help save L.A., and she needs help to do that because villains have taken notice that there are no Super Heroes out there. I think there’s part of her that misses [being on a team] too.”

Other members of the team include X-Men supporting character Quentin Quire, fourth-wall-breaking Gwenpool, dimension-hopping superstar America Chavez…and Bishop’s non-powered boyfriend Johnny, who might find that the superhero life isn’t what he expected. Clint Barton, the original Hawkeye, will also be a player in the series, with Thompson teasing that he “doesn’t want to admit how much it’s fun for him to mentor” the younger heroes.

The name of the new series is one that older fans will remember from the 1980s. The 1984 West Coast Avengers miniseries — which begat an ongoing series of the same name a year later — was the first time Marvel had successfully transformed the Avengers series into a franchise of its own. Before too long, it had been joined by Solo Avengers, with a multitude of other titles including New Avengers, Young Avengers and even Great Lakes Avengers.

The new West Coast Avengers is set to launch Aug. 22.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Default Re: Marvel Relaunches 'West Coast Avengers' as Young Hero Team

Quote:
The name of the new series is one that older fans will remember from the 1980s. The 1984 West Coast Avengers miniseries — which begat an ongoing series of the same name a year later — was the first time Marvel had successfully transformed the Avengers series into a franchise of its own.
I remember that West Coast Avengers. Time flies.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
I remember that West Coast Avengers. Time flies.
Same here. We’re showing our age now

Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

True!

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I'll add this to my pull list.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I'm a fan of the original. I've liked Kelly Thompson's work (although I haven't read a lot of it). I don't love every member of the team, but I like enough of them. I'm definitely intrigued by this. The team is very different from the original West Coast Avengers, but I wonder if they will at least draw from some of the villains.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Havok83
Side-Kick

Looks like alot of fun though Im not sure why they are calling it West Coast Avengers. Why even launch this as an Avengers title given the rebranding and consolidation the line got with No Surrender?

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
CaptainWagner
Rebellion Kickstarter

More of Kelly Thompson writing both Hawkeyes plus Quentin Quire AND America Chavez? I'm down. I'm intrigued as to what they've done to merit the "Parental Advisory" listing, though....

"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share... I'll never stop fighting. Ever."
- Superman
CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote