The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #51
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: Shooting at a Santa Fe, TX high school

It is almost like guns make it easier to kill people.

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #52
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Almost. But I'm pretty sure it has more to do with people no longer respecting that all life matters.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #53
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Someone who no longer respects life is going to find it much harder to kill people in a school, running at them with a knife then with a gun.

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #54
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The cowardice and total lack of common sense from Republican lawmakers never ceases to amaze me. Just watching a clip with a congressman talking about how the problem is a lack of security at schools. Are we going to turn every damn school into Fort Knox?

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #55
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Someone who no longer respects life is going to find it much harder to kill people in a school, running at them with a knife then with a gun.
Not really. As soon as you label someone as "other" than yourself, they are easier to kill no matter the method. They ean nothing to you, they've become "things" and are therefore disposable.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #56
Elektra1
Ski bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Not really. As soon as you label someone as "other" than yourself, they are easier to kill no matter the method. They ean nothing to you, they've become "things" and are therefore disposable.
No. It's much easier to kill people with guns than knives. That's the point.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #57
Aximili86
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Well, good luck with that whole "people shouldn't be allowed to have pistols, or shotguns. No matter if they have no criminal or psych history. In Texas." thing.

That's practical and will totally happen.

Aximili86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #58
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

I know you are just trolling but I don't think anyone has said ban guns, only regulate them but since that is the ideaology of gun owners, regulation = banning. There is a difference and a way to compromise, something gun owners largely cannot seem to accept.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #59
Aximili86

Again, differences of opinion don't equate to trolling, this is basic stuff.

So, okay, what does "regulate" look like with a shotgun, huh? The dad bought it legally, so clearly he's not a crim or a crazy. The kid had no diagnosed mental issues and hadn't made any threats anyone was aware of.

That household is "regulated" out of a shotgun pre-emptively before anything's happened? On what basis?

All you can really do is enforce a law that parents who legally-own have to keep weapons locked away and take due diligence to ensure their kids don't get the key or combination for it. That's it. Nobody's "regulating" (what do you even mean by that, in this particular instance) a shotgun in the U.S. Handguns, potentially so, they've tried it in Chicago. But even that's unlikely to spread.

You seem to be unwilling to face the tougher reality here that this kid would have slipped through any legislation on the books. You can't penalize the father on anything other than irresponsible storage - he'd bought the guns the right way, had no record, and as far as anyone was aware there wasn't anyone crazy in the house (the kid was clean in any clinical & legal sense and hadn't expressed any desire to hurt anybody).

So, okay, you personally aren't for banning shotguns & pistols (a lot of people on your side of this actually are, believe it or not). So, alternatives? What does regulation look like to you, here, in this Texas instance?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #60
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

Don't know where you get your information but most of it is false or reaching to conclusions. The only answer you have is no regulation will help in this situation so no regulation would ever help in any situation. And you don't know that any of your claims are true. You go on an assumption that this was inevitable when it wasn't.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #61
Aximili86

Nice dodge.

This was a shotgun and a pistol, bought legally, in a home where nobody was diagnosed with anything of a mental nature, nobody had a criminal record, and nobody at home or at school had concerns over the kid.

What regulatory measure could possibly have prevented this, short of "they shouldn't have had the guns in the first place"?

Responsible & secure storage with only the parents able to access them, is the only thing.

As for the claims about the parent's and kid's mental/criminal status, you seriously think that wouldn't have been dug up instantly after the incident? It's the first ****ing thing the cops go to. If complaints/concerns had been raised over the kid, we'd know by now. Nobody's reporting anything of the sort, and they've already stated the father had the weapons legitimately. So yeah - I do know that's true. Then again, so do you if you're honest about it.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #62
Bobber
Side-Kick

I'm gonna poke my head out here, real quick.

From a purely ideological view, where we ignore the practicality of everything.

Why not ban all guns?

Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 AM   #63
Aximili86

Because people in free societies get to own guns. Martin Luther freakin' King was a pro-gun guy, knowing that segments (or in this hypothetical case you're suggesting all) of a society unable to own guns is a stripping of any and all power.

Limits on what someone can own is fine, that's a fair discussion and people are going to draw the line in different places.

But "banning all" is insane. That's not the case in Europe, it's never going to be the case in the U.S. or Canada or Australia, places like that.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 AM   #64
Brutikus
Peace Through Tyranny

Even though in Australia there's significantly tight gun laws we do still have gun violence occur.

Comparing Australia's 25 million people to the proportion of firearms available (legal and illegal) to USA's 326 million and proportion of firearms available (legal and illegal) is hard to say if totally comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges.

Banning a thing alone is not sufficient as there'll always be those who will ignore laws.

Please note - I am not Pro-NRA or Anti-2nd Amendment as I am not a US citizen and thus my views are limited to 2nd hand information etc.

It is a VISUAL and therefore a VISCERAL BETRAYAL.STOP IT!"
Brutikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #65
Aximili86

An Australian, eh? Interesting. Out of curiositiy, there's no serious people there actually calling for prohibiting shotguns, right? Your background checks are probably a little tougher (which this dad would have passed anyway), but Australians by and large aren't taking issue with simple shotguns. From what I understand handguns are a little tougher, but limiting shotguns is crazy even by Australian/Canadian standards.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #66
Brutikus
Peace Through Tyranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aximili86 View Post
An Australian, eh? Interesting. Out of curiositiy, there's no serious people there actually calling for prohibiting shotguns, right? Your background checks are probably a little tougher (which this dad would have passed anyway), but Australians by and large aren't taking issue with simple shotguns. From what I understand handguns are a little tougher, but limiting shotguns is crazy even by Australian/Canadian standards.
There's been some recent issues around shotguns where part of one half of the coalition govt (The Liberal Party - a conundrum name given they are conservatives)want to make some restrictions on a particular repeat shooting but their partner party of the coalition govt (The National Party) are heavily based around rural farmers who do regularly use firearms as an essential tool.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...uietly-amended

Tasmania the state where the most serious mass shooting occured (Port Arthur in 1996) under a Liberal Party Govt wants/wanted to relax gun laws -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-0...w-plan/9518742

Overall firearm ownership is heavily regulated across all states and territories though we did experience jsut recently a mass shooting event in Western Australia by a licensed firearms owner who was a Farmer.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/...11-p4zere.html

It is a VISUAL and therefore a VISCERAL BETRAYAL.STOP IT!"
Brutikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #67
The Endless
WE are Groot

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #68
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

who was the perpetrator?

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote