The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Venom

View Poll Results: How much will Venom make worldwide?
Over 700M 3 9.09%
650-700M 0 0%
600-650M 1 3.03%
550-600M 2 6.06%
500-550M 6 18.18%
450-500M 5 15.15%
400-450M 6 18.18%
350-400M 3 9.09%
300-350M 3 9.09%
Under 300M 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #26
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Default Re: Venom's Box Office Thread

Honestly, if this had the MCU or at LEAST the inclusion/mention of Spider-Man, I would say 300-400 million EASY.
As it is, I'll give it 200 or MAYBE 250, and that's because I'm a die-hard Venom fan. Worldwide will probably be about 350-400. If they come out and say, "Hey, this takes place in the MCU, ties into Spider-Man's upcoming movie", then I'll withdraw my vote.

I'm still not totally on board with a Venom movie where he isn't ties to Spider-Man...for the obvious million or so reasons.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
Blitzkrieg
Monkey Business

I'm just baffled by the number of YT views the official trailer on Sony's main channel. It's 64m after 2 months. That number is staggering. It's ridiculous.

Even the comment section is hyped as hell. Venom isn't being propped up by a lot of ironic views from folks which was the case with The Mummy Reboot starring Tom Cruise. The numbers are legit.

This must have a reasonable hype among Int'l audience or the no. of YT views wouldn't be so freaking high. I think this might surprise a lot of people and do more than decent business at the world-wide BO. Domestic may not be very high but this might click in offshore markets. Either way, it has me curious.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
Spider-man95
*Thwip*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
I'm just baffled by the number of YT views the official trailer on Sony's main channel. It's 64m after 2 months. That number is staggering. It's ridiculous.

Even the comment section is hyped as hell. Venom isn't being propped up by a lot of ironic views from folks which was the case with The Mummy Reboot starring Tom Cruise. The numbers are legit.

This must have a reasonable hype among Int'l audience or the no. of YT views wouldn't be so freaking high. I think this might surprise a lot of people and do more than decent business at the world-wide BO. Domestic may not be very high but this might click in offshore markets. Either way, it has me curious.
I can guarantee you that a lot of people think this movie is set in the MCU, which I'm betting Sony is banking on. Think about it, the general audience has seen 3 movies with Spidey in the MCU, he's pretty established in the MCU now, then they see not only a villain of his but a villain that looks like him too, getting his own movie. Are the people who just watch these movies for family outings and for fun, who don't care about forums and news details on these movies, are they really going to say "oh that looks like a movie set in it's own world separate from the MCU". I don't think so. Instead they say "Oh hey it's that villain that looks like Spider-Man, what's his name? *sees the title* OH Venom that's it, cool can't wait!" Why wouldn't they think this character is a part of the MCU?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #29
Nardz937
Side-Kick

Yeah, I have a friend who seen the trailer and got majorly excited, then I explained to them that it has nothing to do with the MCU and I could see the disappointment set in.

A lot of general audiences are definitely under the impression it's made by Marvel Studios and involves Spider-Man.

As far as trailer views go, it is interesting, I don't think it necessarily promises great BO results, but mostly morbid curiosity. I think the film will have a strong opening weekend but not have much legs, the good news it looks to be made fairly cheap. It doesn't even need to do half of a Deadpool hit to be a financial success.

Nardz937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #30
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah, I'm sure many think this is a MCU film.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #31
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

I'm glad everyone here polled a sizable majority of moviegoers to know that they all apparently think this is related to the MCU. I mean, disappointment settling in? Yeah, how dare a movie have nothing to do with the MCU. I mean, a good number of you say that it's not sour grapes or salt about Venom not being in the MCU, but all evidence points to the contrary.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:30 AM   #32
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

It all depends on how 'popular' he is in the mainstream, I know that's common sense but if the film had been made in the 90's, it would make a lot more money that it will now.

MCU connection or not, I really don't see it doing well. Whilst yes, 'curiosity' exists as such, the GA may not remember Spider-Man 3 enough to have that put them off.

For hard-core fans of the character, you need Carnage in this or a lead into (it won't make enough for a sequel, so 'baiting' audience in this film will waste opportunity).

For me, his existence and purpose don't work without Spider-Man, I'm not a massive fan of his, so I won't be seeing it but to me, they aren't making the most of the opportunity as far as the trailers show me, obviously could be very wrong.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #33
Spider-man95
*Thwip*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
I'm glad everyone here polled a sizable majority of moviegoers to know that they all apparently think this is related to the MCU. I mean, disappointment settling in? Yeah, how dare a movie have nothing to do with the MCU. I mean, a good number of you say that it's not sour grapes or salt about Venom not being in the MCU, but all evidence points to the contrary.
You honestly think people not looking this movie up think this movie has nothing to do with the MCU? Heck some fans were even thinking it was in the MCU, some still do. It's not hard to estimate that the general audience thinks this way, granted it is an estimation, but come on.....how can they not think it's in the MCU? Especially with Spider-man now in the MCU. Why wouldn't they think one of his villains would be as well?

Also that person was most likely disappointed because Spider-Man is now in the MCU, and then he sees Venom and thinks oh my god Venom's going to be in the MCU, then Nardz explains that it's not in the MCU and then that person get's disappointed because it most likely means no Spider-Man in the Venom movie thus changing his origin and that Venom probably won't be in the MCU now. How is that not disappointing as a Spidey fan?

Last edited by Spider-man95; 07-06-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Spider-man95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #34
ironwez20
Side-Kick

Pretty much. It’s what people don’t seem to get who always say “ ur just a mcu fan. Derp”!
Venom has a origin and story that doesn’t work without Spider-Man. His whole look, his name , his purpose is cause of Spider-Man. What is he going to be doing throughout the movie? Just running from the law? Boring. People see venom as a villain and want a fight between Spider-Man. Then u have Sony track record so of course fans are a bit upset. I dunno I just don’t see this as being a good movie

Old 07-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #35
Spider-man95
*Thwip*

I wanted to give it a chance but....the dialogue in that trailer....yikes....it could just be a bad trailer but...eh...it's Sony Pictures...not sure I should give them the benefit of the doubt on that front.

I dunno...the more I heard about this film....like Venom not having the symbol....Spider-Man not being involved.....the generic looking plot that's replaced a cool Venom vs Spider-man story. I can't see this being a good film right now.

Such a shame as well because, there's some serious talent behind this.....Tom Hardy for Eddie Brock is casting I didn't think would even happen.....but why do I feel like they're all going to get wasted because of the hacks at Sony? Sigh....TASM also had some good actors behind it too and look how that turned out...

Last edited by Spider-man95; 07-06-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Spider-man95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #36
Blitzkrieg
Monkey Business

'VENOM IS MONEY'

Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #37
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

If this movie delivers the goods I could see it falling in the $600 million range. Even if it's mediocre but doesn't fall into the 'terrible' territory I could still see it at least pulling in $500 million. At best, if it blows everyone away it could certainly reach $700 million or above.

Opening weekend, if everything works out properly, should be somewhere between $90-$130 million or so. Just my best guesses.

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #38
ehh
iono

I hope the movie flops.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #39
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

If the movie is actually good, I hope it does well and Sony finds a way to cleanly integrate Hardy and Holland so we can see them go toe-to-toe.

However, I really don't think it's going to be good. It'll be bland at best, like the ASM movies.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #40
ehh
iono

Sony's non-MCU Venom will never appear in the MCU, even if the movie turns out to be really, really good.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #41
shinlyle
King of the Haters

I have no expectations for this film...I do think Spider-Verse looks awesome, though. How do they swing and hit one so hard while missing the other mark so badly?

Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #42
Vic Ryan
New User - Level 0

Hey, new guy here. Been lurkin these forums for some time now lol. I honestly cant see this movie 'flopping' given the fact that its Venom (i mean look at the views the trailers have racked on youtube), and its a shame because i also can't see how this movie isn't going to fall in the same ranks with the likes of TASM2 & SM3. Seriously, there's something off about Eddie's voice & the film dialogue in the trailers at least IMO.

Vic Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #43
JOE

500-550, Venom is a big name. Hardy is a big name. The movie just has to be decent and it will pull somewhere in that range. Especially if it's PG-13 there's going to be a lot of kids wanting to see it.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #44
ehh
iono

I think that this film can pull off a nice opening weekend, but I don't know about the overall gross. If the quality is poor then we can expect a big drop starting with the second weekend and on.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #45
SM71
bending unit

I don't even really want this Venom to be in or a part of the MCU, but I definitely do wana see him face off against Holland-Spidey or another S-M somewhere down the line for sure.

While it's not my first preference, I'm fine with them doing Lethal Protector first, then later having Venom become the Spider-man villain we know. It's a reversal of his origins and traditional CB arc, but I actually don't see any real reason why it couldn't work, and work pretty well in fact.

As to Hardy's voice, there's usually some eyebrow raises and head scratches and criticism/concern about his voice in a lot of the movies he's in with the trailers and pre-release, but then when they come out it never seems to affect the final film or be a big issue. So I'm not too worried. In small doses, it usually seems jarring and strange, but then throughout an entire movie, it just settles in and is what it is and the 'strangeness' kinda washes away. Like Locke, weird ass accent, but after the first few minutes you're over it and it's just his voice/accent now

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM   #46
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but Venom's early BO tracking is very promising:

http://www.slashfilm.com/venom-box-office/

"We will eat both of your arms and then both of your legs. Then we will eat your face right off your head. You will be this armless, legless, faceless thing, won't you? Rolling down the street...like a turd...in the wind." --Venom

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #47
ehh
iono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but Venom's early BO tracking is very promising:

http://www.slashfilm.com/venom-box-office/
Interesting. I can see this doing well for opening weekend. The question is whether or not this film can keep the momentum with the following weekends based on reviews and word of mouth. And the film's budget is also a factor.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #48
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh View Post
Interesting. I can see this doing well for opening weekend. The question is whether or not this film can keep the momentum with the following weekends based on reviews and word of mouth. And the film's budget is also a factor.
Yes, that's the big X factor. This film has plenty of buzz among fans of Venom, Spider-man fans in general, fans who want to see any and all CBMs, and some casual horror fans who wouldn't usually check out a Marvel/DC film in theaters. I'm confident that the opening weekend will be substantial, but that 2nd weekend will let us know how well the cinematic ingredients truly meshed for the general moviegoers.

"We will eat both of your arms and then both of your legs. Then we will eat your face right off your head. You will be this armless, legless, faceless thing, won't you? Rolling down the street...like a turd...in the wind." --Venom

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote