The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The New Mutants

Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #151
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
And when you have overinflated budgets, it can distract and detract from the things that make a film really good because filmmakers get preoccupied with spectacle and what have you.

That's also if New Mutants has any restrictions - the budget could be just right for what the film wants to achieve.
Exactly. The filmmaker is to blame, not the budget itself.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #152
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Constraints actually help art in a lot of cases. Creativity often comes from limitations. Read an old interview from Frank Miller about the Comics Code during his time on Daredevil and he'll say how it was a positive thing (or look at the crazy excess he's had post-Code, such as Holy Terror and compare).
I agree with that. One of the reasons the original Star Wars worked really well. But there are different skills required to handle the tools available when you have more money and many modern day directors are pretty bad there, maybe because you don’t pick up much experience along the way till your first blockbuster. Making amateur films while in college and then progressing into indies before getting your big break means you might be less well versed in the cutting edge techniques available when you start doing big budget films. The prequels would have looked better with old school techniques than CGI environments though and a better filmmaker might have recognised that. This is the equivalent of spending money just because it’s there and unnecessarily CGIing a character who already looked fine. Still the filmmakers to blame rather than the budget itself.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #153
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Constraints actually help art in a lot of cases. Creativity often comes from limitations. Read an old interview from Frank Miller about the Comics Code during his time on Daredevil and he'll say how it was a positive thing (or look at the crazy excess he's had post-Code, such as Holy Terror and compare).
Totally agree. Didn't the team working on the first Deadpool say the lower budget actually forced them to be more creative which helped it be a better film in the end. Sometimes giving a director a smaller, limited budget keeps them in check and helps the quality of the movie. Even a proven director with a good track record can let an over inflated budget screw them up.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #154
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I dunno if its been revealed what The New Mutants budget is but id guess its around 120 mil because i assume its not R-rated so they may be more willing to give a higher budget.

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Manage Your Expectations.)
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #155
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.
You haven't seen a lot of indie films that couldn't afford decent looking sets/vfx which made the film felt restricted? Okay.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #156
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
You haven't seen a lot of indie films that couldn't afford decent looking sets/vfx which made the film felt restricted? Okay.
Recent indie sci-fi and horror films like Ex Machina, The Witch, It Follows, The Green Room, and 10 Cloverfield Lane (while not an indie, it was "cheap"), I'd take over the whole MCU.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #157
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Recent indie sci-fi and horror films like Ex Machina, The Witch, It Follows, The Green Room, and 10 Cloverfield Lane (while not an indie, it was "cheap"), I'd take over the whole MCU.
Seriously. Those movies had better VFX then most recent blockbuster superhero movies if we're being honest.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #158
Sithborg
About time Filoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I dunno if its been revealed what The New Mutants budget is but id guess its around 120 mil because i assume its not R-rated so they may be more willing to give a higher budget.
I think we can get a better idea with a full trailer. So far, it doesn't look like it has a budget over $100 million.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #159
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
To add to this
Get Out was only 4.5 mill, Split was only 9 mill, even IT was "only" 35 mill and the Conjuring only 20 mill. Haven't seen The Conjuring but the first 3 looked great with SFX, cinematography, or both.

They say they're making this a horror movie. Horror movies don't require extravagant budgets. And as DACrowe pointed out with Ex Machina and I'll add on with District 9 you can have award winning visual SFX with a small budget

And then there's even something like Deadpool which is estimated to be budgeted at 58 mill. Sure there was a lot of free work, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
I think we can get a better idea with a full trailer. So far, it doesn't look like it has a budget over $100 million.
Yeah going by the teaser I'd doubt it'll be reported for anything over $100 mill.
That'd just be a dumb move spending over or near $100 mill for a horror movie. Especially a franchise starter and even one in the X-Men universe.

Last edited by Blackman; 12-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #160
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
That'd just be a dumb move spending over or near $100 mill for a horror movie. Especially a franchise starter and even one in the X-Men universe.
Well Logan and Deadpool 2 got a budget of 80 mil but they were both R-rated, while New Mutants presumbaly won't be R-rated and will likely require more power displays.

They could make it for 80 million, probably not under that though otherwise they shouldn't have gone for an assemble movie.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #161
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Well Logan and Deadpool 2 got a budget of 80 mil but they were both R-rated, while New Mutants presumbaly won't be R-rated and will likely require more power displays.

They could make it for 80 million, probably not under that though otherwise they shouldn't have gone for an assemble movie.
Even for an ensemble movie 80 mill COULD be too much. None of these actors demanding high salaries, so I'm sure most of the budget will go to the effects (practical or visual)

I mean it doesn't really matter. It doesn't look cheap from what I've seen. I know you werent the one who said it, I'm just saying.

Just because it's not a CGI fest and has a lower budget doesn't mean it looks cheap

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #162
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
No major celebrities cast, relatively quick filming window, use of simple practical effects? I would be shocked if it's over 100 Million. Horror films tend to be cheaper and I don't see anything to suggest gigantic set pieces with a ton of VFX.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 PM   #163
Smilodon
Side-Kick

They filmed the last chunk of the film away from Medfield on a soundstage with a lot of green screen - presumably the final battle where there will be an actual giant bear ghost. But besides that, this film wasn't too VFX heavy like a traditional CBM. Probably a lot more subtle CGI like Logan. I appreciate how Boone seems to be channeling older horror films with New Mutants.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #164
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Didn't see that one coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
To add to this
it was "only" 35 mill and the Conjuring only 20 mill. Haven't seen The Conjuring but the first 3 looked great with SFX, cinematography, or both..
As someone who saw those films in a theater, they were shot better and had better location and didn't look cheap or made for TV.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:12 AM   #165
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Seriously. Those movies had better VFX then most recent blockbuster superhero movies if we're being honest.
I'm constantly more and more impressed by what they manage to create for these "lower" budget films probably starting back with District 9.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #166
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
As someone who saw those films in a theater, they were shot better and had better location and didn't look cheap or made for TV.
OK. And when you've seen New Mutants, you can compare.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #167
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

To be fair there is gonna be enough stuff in this movie that will require CGI even if alot of it looks like Boone wanted to go 80s practical scares.

I assume Lockheed will be CGI for example and by the next trailer you can probably expect some spectacle

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-16-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #168
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Did you see Ex Machina or The Witch though? And if so, did you enjoy them in spite of being "cheap?"

--John Adams
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #169
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I wouldn't call something cheap, if I haven't seen the film or its trailer.

Quote:
OK. And when you've seen New Mutants, you can compare.
I can compare them to a trailer if I want to. I've seen the trailer in a theater and it looks cheap especially to other Fox's trailer that were shown when I watched Orient eXpress.

And the film being a horror isn't an excusefor looking under budgeted especially when I've seen horror films that look much better than this and that New Mutants shouldn't even be a horror film.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM   #170
SAUspartan
Kurtty Fan

can't wait till we hear about the next one filming!

SAUspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #171
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Just for the record this movie only cost $15 million, and it looks amazing.

--John Adams
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM   #172
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can compare them to a trailer if I want to. I've seen the trailer in a theater and it looks cheap especially to other Fox's trailer that were shown when I watched Orient eXpress.
It was a teaser trailer that barely showed any of the movie. You can't compare it to a full movie.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #173
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I can. There's no rule about that that. Why are you forcing me?

Quote:
Just for the record this movie only cost $15 million, and it looks amazing.

Yeah and you are bringing this up because....

I wouldn't care if the New Mutants cost $10 dollars if it looks well made and not under budgeted.

The New Mutants is low budgeted and looks low budgeted and cheap. And the fact that you are comparing this to low budgeted films that were filmed well is just..

Also I just remembered that eX Machina came from an indie studio. New Mutants is coming from a major film studio.