The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #326
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Because that's an opinion not logic. They're not trying to "fix" anything. This movie is a separate interpretation. They're not out to make the definitive Superman to last all eternity. If you want to see the classic costume, it's in the comics and Donner's Superman. Snyder and Nolan want to tell their own story with a modern Superman for today's audience. They're not going to stick with a costume made in the 40s.
My original post was a logical, largely inarguable, breakdown on what defines a classic suit, and based on 70 years worth of reference. My opinion on the other hand regarding the new suit is that the texture, material, and lack of trunks suck. But again, thats just my reaction, feel free to be as content as you want with the direction they took which, contrary to your post, is more or less the same suit created in the 30's isnt it?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #327
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
So it's change for the sake of it?
More likely it fits the tone of the movie better.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #328
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadoo View Post
More likely it fits the tone of the movie better.
Agreed

Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #329
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Because that's an opinion not logic. They're not trying to "fix" anything. This movie is a separate interpretation. They're not out to make the definitive Superman to last all eternity. If you want to see the classic costume, it's in the comics and Donner's Superman. Snyder and Nolan want to tell their own story with a modern Superman for today's audience. They're not going to stick with a costume made in the 40s.
It really doesn't matter that the costume originated in the 40s, both Superman's and costumes like it have remained in use since then. When things don't fall out of use, they don't date. There are plenty of things that look the same now as they did 70 or more years ago, that doesn't mean they're dated though.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #330
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
My original post was a logical, largely inarguable, breakdown on what defines a classic suit, and based on 70 years worth of reference. My opinion on the other hand regarding the new suit is that the texture, material, and lack of trunks suck. But again, thats just my reaction, feel free to be as content as you want with the direction they took which, contrary to your post, is more or less the same suit created in the 30's isnt it?
How you define classic and what you consider classic is of course arguable.

Nope, the movie suit is referential to classic elements but is different from the suit created in the late 30s. It's so different that some people want a more "classic" costume.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #331
tomk
Side-Kick

We'll see. Not sure what sort of story requires changing the suit this way.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #332
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
When things don't fall out of use, they don't date. There are plenty of things that look the same now as they did 70 or more years ago, that doesn't mean they're dated though.
Well, his costume is changing now, so it just fell out of use.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #333
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
How you define classic and what you consider classic is of course arguable.

Nope, the movie suit is referential to classic elements but is different from the suit created in the late 30s. It's so different that some people want a more "classic" costume.
I'm giving definition to the term thats being tossed around these boards. When people say "classic" regardless of whether or not thats even the appropriate term, they mean the most recognizable version of superman, the trademark which I summed up in 7 chief characteristics. I'm not referring to any time period.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #334
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

Quote:
You're dissecting an irrelevant part of my argument. I'm giving definition to the term thats being tossed around these boards. When people say "classic" regardless of whether or not thats even the appropriate term, they mean the most recognizable version of superman, the trademark which I summed up in 7 chief characteristics. I'm not referring to any time period.
Obviously, I'm responding to what I have quoted. If you're not referring to any time period, then you shouldn't refer to a time period.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #335
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Whether it's a change that will last remains to be seen.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #336
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Obviously, I'm responding to what I have quoted. If you're not referring to any time period, then you shouldn't refer to a time period.
When you said "suit from the 40s" i thought you were referring to the "classic" suit in general. My mistake.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #337
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
What can be so drastic that they decide to keep every element of the classic suit except the trunks, which uptight, ashamed internet fanboys whine about? Seems to me they are pandering to a group of people who find Superman, superheroes, and comics lame to begin with or else they'd be more proud of their professed "favorite".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
So it's change for the sake of it?
It's not even that. It's change for the sake of shame.

Quote:
Which is disgusting.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #338
8wid
Banned User

I would get rid of the cape, shield, belt, and boots just leaving the blue skin armor to be all Superman wears. What keeps it so protected is the suit would be the Eradicator system that has guarded over him since leaving Krypton.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #339
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
I would get rid of the cape, shield, belt, and boots just leaving the blue skin armor to be all Superman wears. What keeps it so protected is the suit would be the Eradicator system that has guarded over him since leaving Krypton.
I've told you before:

Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #340
Citizenbot

It's just a suit; I've never loved a superhero just because he looks good, or hated one because he looks stupid. I agree that the trunks are iconic. Are they necessary to the portrayal of the character and the overall quality of the movie? No. Removing the trunks removes some of the camp you associate with superhero costumes, and for a not-extremely-campy-looking movie, you need the costuming to be less campy, as well. It's not going to be the same movie as Donner's original, just like how Nolan's Batman movies weren't like Tim Burton's (or Adam West's) original.

That said, I'm going to not practice what I preach for just a minute: they better keep the John Williams Superman theme. Now THAT'S iconic!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #341
Elayis

Not sure who made this, but I saw it over at ************** and thought it was worth a share.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #342
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

That is awesome. Lol

Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #343
Rage
Valar Morghulis

Many different artists have drawn the costume many different ways in the 70 plus years that Superman's been around.... but one element that has remained constant is the red shorts. DO they seem silly? No more so than a freakin cape!! Who wears a cape these days... yet NOBODY wants to get rid of the cape...

They gave Superman a new costume about a decade ago... and I can't think of one person I know that liked the electro-superman costume.

Look at all the superman costumes of the past and the one that deviated the most from the original/classic design was the suit from Superman Returns... and everyone hates on that movie (coincidence?)

I STILL say that the shorts help to break up the look of the body suit and create chunkier body blocks that help to make SUperman look thicker and more muscular... and that is important (visually) to make the actor seem thicker... that is the "design" reason the trunks should be there... the actual reason they should be there... is that the suit is ICONIC in pop culture! Why not get rid of Mickey Mouses red shorts too?

Change for the sake of change is not a good reason to change. If they came out with valid reasons to remove them other than some people on the internet thought they were dated... I would listen.

I can see updating the materials to something that will look better than spandex (especially in HD) I can understand that... there is reasoning behind that. Materials change... and the technology of movies has changed... so there is a reason for that change... I can understand that. But to disregard a part of the design for no other reason than some people dislike it... that is silly.

Superman is not about being slick or stylish... he's about being a symbol... and that symbol has remained relatively unchanged for 70 years... SO LETS CHANGE IT NOW

Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #344
Project862006
Banned User

dont call them red shorts lol

they are not shorts

they are red panties say it proud

Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #345
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

It's funny how people can find a way to defend the red panties. Ah well, they're gone and I'll be enjoying the movie that much more. Red panties look dated and silly especially in live action, and I'm glad the people who agree with me are the ones the matter: the movie's artists and Snyder. I'm sure Nolan liked it as well.

Hating the movie costume because it doesn't have red panties is just crazy. If you take the costume on its own context as a piece of fashion, then red panties is bizarre to modern eyes. Only Lady Gaga would rock the look. The cape doesn't look weird because it's used as a cape and acts like a cloak, while red panties aren't normally worn over pants. If Superman existed in the present, do you really think he would choose to wear red panties? As if he didn't feel weird enough?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #346
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's funny how people can find a way to defend the red panties. Ah well, they're gone and I'll be enjoying the movie that much more. Red panties look dated and silly especially in live action, and I'm glad the people who agree with me are the ones the matter: the movie's artists and Snyder. I'm sure Nolan liked it as well.

Hating the movie costume because it doesn't have red panties is just crazy. If you take the costume on its own context as a piece of fashion, then red panties is bizarre to modern eyes. Only Lady Gaga would rock the look. The cape doesn't look weird because it's used as a cape and acts like a cloak, while red panties aren't normally worn over pants. If Superman existed in the present, do you really think he would choose to wear red panties? As if he didn't feel weird enough?
Edit: not worth it.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #347
GreenKToo
In the fire

I know..Saying it six times in one post is overkill imo. Maybe even a bit trollish.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #348
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Edit: not worth it.
Completely agree. I'll never be embarrassed by Superman or by being a Superman fan.

I'm sorry, but if this seems silly to you:

Then it's time to get a new hobby.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #349
TheIncredibleSk
Hard hitting opinions.

I wanted the trunks originally but I realized that that taking the trunks off was inevitable. They've be doing it to Batman for years now and it was only a matter of time before they did it to Superman. So to me, just make a good movie so where I don't give a **** what he's wearing like the Nolan Batman films.

Last edited by TheIncredibleSk; 08-13-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #350
Project862006
Banned User

^exactly batman removed them for the movies

so did magneto

it is just natural progression

Closed Thread