The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes IV - VI

Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Default Only the original trilogy considered canon by some?

I've heard that a fairly sizable group of Star Wars fans refuse to recognise the prequel trilogy as canon to the original trilogy. Is that actually the case?

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
David H.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Only the original trilogy considered canon by some?

Well, the new movies are sort of ignoring them (if Disney could overwrite them, you know they would).

Personally, I keep my own version of the prequels as head cannon and adjust it as references come and go.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
Well, the new movies are sort of ignoring them (if Disney could overwrite them, you know they would).

Personally, I keep my own version of the prequels as head cannon and adjust it as references come and go.
Ah, right. Yes, I was going to ask what the situation was with the new films, whether they disregarded them as well

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 AM   #4
dax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post

The cartoons didn't ignore the prequels. Rebels brought back Darth Maul, it featured a clip from Attack of the Clones, and we see the main characters visiting planets that were shown in the prequels (Geonosis, Mustafar).

Also, the new movies didn't really ignore the prequels because the Force Awakens made a few references to them like the Sith, the clone army, Ewan McGregor as Obi-wan's ghost, and Luke's blue lightsaber once belonging to Anakin. Rogue One brought back a few prequel actors like Jimmy Smiths (Bail Organa) and Gwendolyn O'Rielly(Mon Mothma) not to mention it had Darth Vader's castle stationed on Mustafar (the very planet where we was severely injured by Obi-wan). We even saw a brief glimpse of Coruscant and Episode 8: The Last Jedi will be making more references to the prequels.

Disney made it clear that BOTH the prequels and the originals are canon.

dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Drizzle
Ah, Goldblum, ah, Smash.

The prequels have always been canon. You don't have to like them, but you have to acknowledge them.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote