The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #301
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Worked with Daredevil, Ghost Rider and the Punisher. And remember, it cost millions to produce a movie and as I remind everyone, Fant4stic bombed in the box office and Fox would hesitate to invest too much money on a failing franchise.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #302
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I highly doubt it.

Also, at the end of the day, all the characters are still technically owned by Marvel. As Wobbly pointed out, what Fox owns is a license for the film rights as long as the contract requirements are met.

So from my perspective, Disney should try to exercise legal wrangling by claiming Fant4stic was a contract violation and get the rights back that way. Tie it up in the courts. At the very least it would prevent Fox from making another one.
HELL YES. DO it Marvel. I mean Scott.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #303
Stark Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADollarADay View Post
They paid $175MM upfront + 35MM for every subsequent movie that 3rd party made for 25% of merchandise rights to a character they already owned, so it's not that out of the question to go up to a bil or 2. It's all about ROI.

Exactly, so they own the live movie rights in perpetuity unless they default or disney pays up. I'm fairly certain they aren't defaulting so that leaves only one option. We can disagree, but the price now would be higher, and like I said, I find it hard to argue otherwise, but you can believe what you want, it's not like either one of us can prove the other wrong since it's a hypothetical.

We have had major talks about legal rights on these threads. I have become a mini expert on it haha. Fox did not breach or default on the contract with Fan4stic. I talked to a lawyer sometime ago and - he didn't have a view on the contracts, of course - but one thing that could be done is taking them to court to try to renegotiate the initial terms since conditions have changed. That would still be a hairy, costly, and lengthy trial that everyone involved would prefer to avoid, with no guarantees of the prosecution winning. Disney's best option, if they want any rights Marvel gave away back, is to pay up.
GORRAM IT!!!!!!!

SO we are going to have a countdown to 2022. Frakkin 5 years. Fox needs to NOT be in production for a FF movie between 2020-2022. By 2023, the rights will revert if they haven't released a movie in theatres by then.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #304
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADollarADay View Post
They paid $175MM upfront + 35MM for every subsequent movie that 3rd party made for 25% of merchandise rights to a character they already owned, so it's not that out of the question to go up to a bil or 2. It's all about ROI.
It's totally out of the question. Especially for Fantastic Four.

Quote:
Exactly, so they own the live movie rights in perpetuity unless they default or disney pays up. I'm fairly certain they aren't defaulting so that leaves only one option. We can disagree, but the price now would be higher, and like I said, I find it hard to argue otherwise, but you can believe what you want, it's not like either one of us can prove the other wrong since it's a hypothetical.

We have had major talks about legal rights on these threads. I have become a mini expert on it haha. Fox did not breach or default on the contract with Fan4stic. I talked to a lawyer sometime ago and - he didn't have a view on the contracts, of course - but one thing that could be done is taking them to court to try to renegotiate the initial terms since conditions have changed. That would still be a hairy, costly, and lengthy trial that everyone involved would prefer to avoid, with no guarantees of the prosecution winning. Disney's best option, if they want any rights Marvel gave away back, is to pay up.
Or they can wait for rights to expire and get them back that way like many other properties. Let's actually see if Fox goes through with new Fantastic Four films in the next five years.

- CM Punk
Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 AM   #305
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePyro9 View Post
Worked with Daredevil, Ghost Rider and the Punisher. And remember, it cost millions to produce a movie and as I remind everyone, Fant4stic bombed in the box office and Fox would hesitate to invest too much money on a failing franchise.
Yup, and those rights reversions didn't cost Marvel anything.

- CM Punk
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #306
Stark Bauer

Well I guess it will work out since Phase 3 is going to end in 2020...I feel like the MCU will feel a bit stale by then and all of a sudden the Fantastic Four will inject it with renewed excitement in 2020-2022!

Old 09-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #307
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Yup, and those rights reversions didn't cost Marvel anything.
Love don't cost a thing.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #308
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Stan Lee spoke at a comic convention in Nashville about the character rights that Marvel doesn't own:

Quote:
“Sooner or later, they’re going to get the rights back to all our characters. They’re working on it, and they’re still making X-Men movies and stuff. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get more Marvel superheroes than you’ll have time to look at in the next few years.”

Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #309
First Avenger
Side-Kick

All I need is the 4.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #310
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Stan Lee spoke at a comic convention in Nashville about the character rights that Marvel doesn't own:
From Stan's lips to Iger's ears.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #311
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
From Stan's lips to Iger's ears.
Ugh. I hope he's not kissing him there.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #312
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Ugh. I hope he's not kissing him there.
Why would your brain go there?!?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #313
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
He's not wrong. It will take some years, but all the rights will return to Marvel eventually.

- CM Punk
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #314
Stark Bauer

IT'S A SIGN...

It's happening y'all.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/09/...-in-one-tease/

Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #315
ADollarADay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fun fact:

If you watched the "Doomed" documentary (highly recommended for any CBM fans), he said the same thing in the early 90s, right after the 1994 FF movie grab by Corman IIRC.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #316
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Bauer View Post
IT'S A SIGN...

It's happening y'all.

That's been rumored for a while, but good to see something official. I haven't bought any comic books since Ultimate FF, but I might buy this one to see where they go with it.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #317
Random490
Side-Kick

I wouldn't count on Stan Lee being in the loop for behind the scenes info on film rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Bauer View Post
IT'S A SIGN...

It's happening y'all.

I remember how everyone thought that when the previous F4 comic was canceled it was because Marvel wanted to torpedo the film. But while the film in marketing and release, the F4 were taking center stage in a massive company wide crossover. After which Doom got his own series. Now they kept Thing and Torch out of it just long enough so that bringing them back will get people excited.

I bet you this has nothing to do with the film rights.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #318
Timebomb
Side-Kick

I know it's just talk but I really really hope Stan is right.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 AM   #319
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Then again I really don't think Stan knows about this stuff.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:40 AM   #320
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Sadly I don't think Stan has really been I the know for a long long time. His general involvement these days I think is more customary than anything concrete.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #321
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

For the most part, he's a fan. He's saying what all of us are saying, thinking, hoping.

The difference is, he has sat down for dinner with Kevin Feige, Bob Iger etc. He at least knows from first-hand experience that Marvel still wants all the rights and is continuing their steady push that will... eventually... accomplish that.

We all know/suspect as much, but we've never spoken with Kevin Feige about it. Stan almost certainly has.

I think Kevin Feige should make it his goal to create a great FF film for Stan while he's still here to see it.

... and Stan should hold on until it happens.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #322
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

If you think about it, it's only been eight years since Disney owned Marvel. In those eight short years, Marvel has regained the rights to Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, Ghost-Rider, Ego, Namor and Man-Thing (among others), and they've gained creative control of Spider-Man and solidified creative control of Hulk. Plus they've obtained shared control of X-Men TV rights.

At this point their task is relatively simple and straight-forward:

1. Regain full or partial control of FF

2. Regain full or partial control of X-Men

3. Work to gain full control of all characters

Considering the FF situation, that's almost certainly the next, easiest domino to fall, and after that happens, they can refocus on other remaining rights.

While we can't say with certainty exactly how things will play out in the next eight years of Disney/Marvel, I think it's an absolute sure bet that Marvel will have much more control of their characters than they do now.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #323
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Namor is still a grey area? Must be a Hulk situation. That Universal bubble doesnt seem accurate with the supporting characters. And why is Kingpin a grey area?

That Fox bubble is going to exist in some shape fashion or form in one way or another. And is truly the one fans want the most.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #324
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
Namor is still a grey area? Must be a Hulk situation. That Universal bubble doesnt seem accurate with the supporting characters. And why is Kingpin a grey area?

That Fox bubble is going to exist in some shape fashion or form in one way or another. And is truly the one fans want the most.
Where did you see Namor being a gray area? I didn't know he was back at all, but I'm curious about the stipulations. Kingpin might have something to do with Sony and his connection to Spiderman. Who knows? And the FF Fox thing has boiled down to a sad little pissing match. It makes no sense on Fox's part, but they're acting like the brat kid that doesn't want anyone else playing with their toys...pricks...

Old 09-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #325
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post

I've read some fairly firm statements that Marvel has Namor, but there are a lot of things that are still not 100% confirmed.

That's a reasonably good, useful chart, but don't take it as gospel.