The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #251
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Default Re: I feel like DC still doesn't know what they're doing

WB dropped the ball in the 90s. Superman was still hot off the pop cultural event that was Death of Superman. They should've followed that up with a movie.

That Tim Burton movie would've been a huge success, I'm sure of it. And it would've helped kept Superman's popularity afloat for sure. I personally think I would've enjoyed it more than MOS, SR or BvS.

Tim Burton was in his prime at that time. It would've been amazing.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #252
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
The first thing I want to see after JL is what their plans are for Superman. That will be my test to see if DC Movie Universe is getting it's act together.
I'd like to think they're just holding off an announcement for the next Superman solo movie until his return in the JL.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #253
Brother Jack
Believer

Tim Burton's vision for Superman was weird as hell. I don't know if it would've been good, but it definitely would've been interesting.

round to the same place again.

Brother Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #254
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

It would've been epic!

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #255
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I'd like to think they're just holding off an announcement for the next Superman solo movie until his return in the JL.
Probably. But unless JL improves the character by basically rebooting his personality, I don't even want one.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #256
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
Probably. But unless JL improves the character by basically rebooting his personality, I don't even want one.
I agree. But for all my talk, they could do whatever to Superman in JL and I'd still be freaking out if they got Matthew Vaughn to do MoS 2.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #257
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I have a feeling he'd disregard it if he thought it sucked and do whatever he wanted with him come his time anyway.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #258
Frodo
Side-Kick

As someone who was around in the 90s and was of adult age in 1997, I can say that SL probably would have been as reviled as Batman and Robin was. It likely would have prevented the Nolan Trilogy from happening and Superman likely would have been off the screen even longer than it ended up being.

It may have furthered the notion at the time that comic films basically were'nt meant to be taken seriously which could have effected other studios who were still a bit gittery and skeptical of the value of superhero films.

You've got to put yourself in the context and head space of 1997 and the GA of that time, as opposed to the context of today, and everything that's happened the DCEU , MCU, XMCU and Spiderverse Raimi/Webb/ Watts franchises. Superman 1 and 2 , and Batman 89 were considered the exceptions , not the norm in the 90s.

While I agree WB waited way too long to reboot the series after the Reeve films, they made the right choice in not going forward with Superman Lives.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #259
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Anyone who's seen that pic of Nic Cage in the ratty black wig and plastic Superman costume knows that it's just as well that SL was never made.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #260
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

They dodged a bullet with Burton's Superman.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #261
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I still want to see that movie in animation, with Superman voiced by the legendary Nicholas Cage himself. It's not like they have much to lose with their current run of the mil crop of mediocre film outings.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #262
STARMAN
Side-Kick

A couple of years ago someone asked Geoff Johns about turning unmade projects into animated films such as Superman: Flyby. He said that's come up and it's always a possibility. Of course, that was about 4 years ago.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #263
Limonade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
Anyone who's seen that pic of Nic Cage in the ratty black wig and plastic Superman costume knows that it's just as well that SL was never made.
Wig?

That was all Nic Cage, baby. It was his Con Air phase. One that not many people can pull off and live to tell the tale.

Limonade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #264
random_havoc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
WB dropped the ball in the 90s. Superman was still hot off the pop cultural event that was Death of Superman. They should've followed that up with a movie.

That Tim Burton movie would've been a huge success, I'm sure of it. And it would've helped kept Superman's popularity afloat for sure. I personally think I would've enjoyed it more than MOS, SR or BvS.

The producer that was leading that went on to then make Will Smith's The Wild Wild West. Watch the documentary "The death of Superman Lives". It would've been Batman and Robin, but a few years earlier

Old 09-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #265
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

hahahaha! No. It's madness to think that Tim Burton would let anyone force him into making a movie like Batman & Robin. Especially back then.
That's just flat out ignorant.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #266
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post

WB missed out on billions back then. Batman was a proven commodity at the box office. DC Comics were hot. Batman and Superman each had successful cartoons. WB could have reintroduced Superman and been off and running with a Justice League movie franchise. Yet even when the X-Men were successful at the BO, WB still didn't get the message about popular characters in a team movie.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #267
random_havoc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
hahahaha! No. It's madness to think that Tim Burton would let anyone force him into making a movie like Batman & Robin. Especially back then.
That's just flat out ignorant.
I meant like Batman and Robin in that it would have been unwatchably bad. And if you don't think Burton has made unwatchable movies all I can say is I can't understand your taste.
You also have to realize Burton has exactly one tone and style of movie he makes. That's it. Luckily Batman fit into Burton's style perfectly. Superman, on the other hand, is a character that is a world away from fitting that tone. In fact I think Snyder's movie style, which already doesn't fit Superman, is still closer to fitting Superman than Burton's is.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #268
random_havoc
Side-Kick

More examples that DC doesn't know what they're doing. Their own stars don't even know what the heck is going on:

Margot Robbie thinks she'll play Harley Quinn again next year, but doesn’t even know which movie it will be in.
“I think next year I’ll be back in the fishnets wielding a baseball bat. I hope.”
when pressed on which film it would be in she said “Your guess is as good as mine at this point. I don’t know.”

Or Leto who was asked about the Joker origin film they're working on. Before going on to praise the Joker character he said “I’m a little confused too"

Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #269
Ultimate Thor
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
The first thing I want to see after JL is what their plans are for Superman. That will be my test to see if DC Movie Universe is getting it's act together.
Same here. If they have no plans to get the character right, I'm out.

I do have hope, though.

Ultimate Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #270
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Whatever happened to that documentary being made about SL? Did it ever get finished and released?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #271
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
Whatever happened to that documentary being made about SL? Did it ever get finished and released?
If you mean the one made by the Collider guy... yeah, it was released in 2015.

Abudefduf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #272
random_havoc
Side-Kick

And it's SO GOOD, you have to watch it. It's called The Death of Superman Lives. That documentary shows definitively that it was going to be your typical Burton movie and would've been so wrong for Superman

Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #273
random_havoc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
wahahahahahahahaha!....You need to hook me up with your dealer ASAP!
I wish I was this fried sometimes.
Burton does movies that are dark and weird. If you can name one of his movies that doesn't fit into that description feel free, but they'd be the tiny exception to the rule, if there are any. And Dark and weird are not words that should be fitting for the description of a Superman movie. Snyder not getting that Superman isn't dark is how we ended up with stuff like BvS.

Last edited by random_havoc; 09-15-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: edit
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #274
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
Burton does movies that are dark and weird. If you can name one of his movies that doesn't fit into that description feel free, but they'd be the tiny exception to the rule, if there are any. And Dark and weird are not words that should be fitting for the description of a Superman movie. Snyder not getting that Superman isn't dark is how we ended up with stuff like BvS.

You must not have seen alot of his movies then cuz alot of them are quirky, charming and hilarious. The last 2 are pretty much what people loved about Donner's Superman.

You just got damn good drugs, buddy. Admit it! I know you do. I'll be back in Canada in October. Just link me with your supplier. hahahaha! I know you gotta be on something if you honestly think Pee Wee's Big Adventure is like Planet of the Apes, Ed Wood like Batman, Mars Attacks like Sweeney Todd, Beetlejuice like Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow like Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory like Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands like Big Eyes.

I mean of course most of these movies have a similar style to his other films but you can say that about almost all movie directors or artists in general. They all work in styles they like/adapted but to say all these films have the same tone is just madness, ignorance or high talk. The guy is not Tarantino. Now theres a director with one style and one tone. All of his films feel like they can be in the same universe. Burton can and has shown a wide range of diversity within one film but also multiple films.
PM me your supplier's info when you can. Please and Thanx, bud!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #275
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

I think about the only thing Burton's movies have in common is they are weird. Actually quirky would be a better word.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote