The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #51
James
Built from Lego

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
Recently watched Warcraft. I don't really know what folks were expecting, but even with its faults, it's still best video game adaptation to date.
That's not saying much

Old 09-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #52
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
That's not saying much
It really isn't, but if you're a Warcraft fan, there is a lot to love.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Old 09-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #53
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
It really isn't, but if you're a Warcraft fan, there is a lot to love.
Fair enough! I remember enjoying Silent Hill many years ago, though I had no familiarity with the games. Other than that I can't think of any video game film that's been decent.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #54
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

Silent Hill is still my favorite video game adaptation. I like the RE movies, too, but more as a guilty pleasure type of thing over legitimately good films. I actually think the first SH movie is a good film by itself. I've not seen Warcraft, and I probably never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
By right way I don't mean as a fact in the artistic sense. Right for the character's belief system for them personally and what's going on in their mind and what makes sense. Again, not a fact.

What values that must be withheld by any means necessary. Where am I saying that? When did I say that in my argument? I have said repeatedly there are no rules for these interpretations. Just what's a better creative decision and what's more fitting for the values of the character and what makes the most sense. What makes the most sense doesn't make it a fact though. You seem to think whenever I say it's the right way or good or better means it's automatically a fact or a rule.

I'm not making up these rules. They are not rules that must be followed. Because again, I never said that they were. I never treat my opinions as fact.

Yes he did if you really think about it. But when you look at it with how it's presented, it's just how Red Letter Media describes it as Superman punching a bunch of energy while Metropolis is destroyed and its citizens die. Snyder was way too focused on the destruction and the wrong things to make it seem wholly heroic. Oh, and Superman didn't save anybody from this comic book destruction he helped cause. Doesn't Superman in the comics save people during all this destruction?

Now you're just going around my argument. You're not understanding what I'm saying. I know movies aren't real, but they're about believably in a proper context. It's the filmmaker's job to create that context. Whether it fails or not, there is always a context on screen the audience sees. Obviously these things couldn't happen in real life, but it doesn't mean if you make a comic movie, everything from the page going up on screen will be correct. There's other considerations you need to have. It's different from just drawing a building falling than making a real life building falling. The filmmaker has to think, "Who's in that building? If people are in that building that might mean thousands of people die. That might be too dark. Now I'm dealing with tone. So now I have to think before all this and understand what the movie is about so I can justify these things. Do people evacuate? What do I show exactly then? etc." These are the things a director has to think of. Hell, not just a director, a comic writer and artist too. Hence why that comic booky destruction often doesn't get the same backlash MOS did. If they're exactly the same wouldn't they have after all these years?
They have to focus on the right details to not make those things so noticeable and put the proper things you want at the forefront to be conveyed. Otherwise you get something that wasn't wholly intended and people can go in and insert their own ideas into it willy nilly. Now that's okay too, but there at least has to be a discernible stance and vision by the filmmaker for audiences to follow along the lines of that helps create their own views.

Zack Snyder didn't need to show those little people fly into the air and slam into the ground. Tonally, that's just so extreme for a comic book film, more importantly how it was executed. From what we see of the film it just looks like a celebration in excess. Maybe they tried to create an alien invasion movie where Superman has to stop it, but I don't think they thought everything out. You see buildings falling like it's no big deal. It was in the execution. There was no regard for it. And the worst thing is, NONE of this is addressed. If you are going to show stuff like and this will be your tone and context then okay. But for a Superman film, you'd think you have to address it. Metropolis looks back to normal by the end and Superman is a creepy man. Which is pretty indicative that these weren't intentional creative decisions. I don't think Snyder meant to create controversy out of a Superman movie to the point where they were doubling down on making up for it in BVS. The man doesn't seem to critically think. He just copy and pastes and likes superficial ideas and deconstructs because it seems complex but he doesn't understand what deconstruction actually entails.

Snyder described BVS's reception as "whoosh!" going right over his head. The man has no ****ing idea what his decisions are actually doing. And not in the healthy artistic way where there's two very good opposing view points and both have their merit in debate. This isn't like Kubrick's Shining and King's Shining.
Man...just nevermind lol. I can't even begin to go through most of all of this. Agree to disagree.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #55
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

How's this for unpopular: I kinda like Queen of the Damned.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #56
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Gimme Ezra Miller as The Flash, and give him full gloves for his solo movie and JL sequel.

YOUTUBE
Precious Delicious Pineapple Pizza

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #57
That9neGuy
Side-Kick

I like Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever better than TDKT.

I also like Blade's trilogy, Capt America's, and Iron Man's more.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #58
Blackman
C'mon Son

Am I the only only one who doesn't think Watchmen is unfilmable as a movie

Old 09-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #59
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I don't think it's unfilmable.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #60
The Endless
WE are Groot

I'm not a fan of Snyder... at all. But I think his Watchmen was pretty good. It's probably my favourite Snyder film.

I mean there is a lot wrong with it. But there is some amazing moments.

The Comedian's funeral, the way it was put together, is top quality film making for me. It's the proper use of a montage. The way it shows each characters important interactions with him is great because it SHOWS us The Comedian, who he was.

Dr Manhattens origin sequence blew me away. I mean come on there has to be a grudging respect from haters there.

I also really like the death of the original Night Owl. Really cool how he was imagining his glory days as he was fighting the Top Knots. It fit his character... there was substance with the style.

Zack Snyder is soooo ****ing frustrating. It's because he clearly has it in him to be a top, top film maker. But he is just so inconsistent. Not just from movie to movit... but even within the same film! From concept to execution!

Hell look at Sucker Punch. The idea of abused, traumatised girls escaping into a metaphorical fantasy world to deal with the pain is awesome if you ask me.

The execution though? Load of old cobblers.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #61
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
It's not. LOTR was considered unfilmable even by Kubrick and look what happened.

Nothing is unfilmable if you make a proper adaptation. The problem is when people say that word they just think strictly in terms of looking at the source material. Snyder's problem was "Welp, I'll just copy and paste the comic to screen, that means it's faithful and we don't have to worry!" Being faithful to the source material doesn't automatically do justice to the material.

I agree with Moore saying that Watchmen only works as a comic, as his work and that is an example of what the medium can only do that nothing else can. But set all that aside and make a movie, that means make Watchmen and translate that idea into something only the medium of film can do.

David Hayter's draft is online somewhere. It takes place in modern day (2003) but at 130 pages, it's closer to the comic than the Snyder film ever got. And it's quite good. Even Moore approves of it, and this was before Hollywood ruined his stories.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #62
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

I feel like most of the good stuff from Watchmen was the stuff Snyder basically lifted from the comic, with the big exception of the opening credits sequence which was, admittedly, incredibly well done. But a lot of the other prime stuff, like the Dr. Manhattan origin, the Mars sequence, the funeral were really just the comic put into motion. Not to say that doesn't take talent per say, but it feels a lot like less of an accomplishment to me because of that.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #63
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I'm not a fan of Snyder... at all. But I think his Watchmen was pretty good. It's probably my favourite Snyder film.

I mean there is a lot wrong with it. But there is some amazing moments.

The Comedian's funeral, the way it was put together, is top quality film making for me. It's the proper use of a montage. The way it shows each characters important interactions with him is great because it SHOWS us The Comedian, who he was.

Dr Manhattens origin sequence blew me away. I mean come on there has to be a grudging respect from haters there.

I also really like the death of the original Night Owl. Really cool how he was imagining his glory days as he was fighting the Top Knots. It fit his character... there was substance with the style.
Yeah for me I think Snyder's version, for a majority of it, worked on a script level. THere were a lot of other issues even though I still like the movie, but as a script I think it was a very good adaptation of the work. Would a 12 part mini series work better? Sure. But I still think the script for Snyder's version was a very good representation of the comic. Some tweaks and it wouldve been a phenomenal adaptation

Old 09-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #64
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Yeah for me I think Snyder's version, for a majority of it, worked on a script level. THere were a lot of other issues even though I still like the movie, but as a script I think it was a very good adaptation of the work. Would a 12 part mini series work better? Sure. But I still think the script for Snyder's version was a very good representation of the comic. Some tweaks and it wouldve been a phenomenal adaptation
You know... I never realized that. A lot of the script works (not including the logic of the change of the ending) It's Snyder's directing choices that hold it back. Casting, shot composition, ****ing slo mo, the choice of lifting moments from the comic to the screen.

I just hope the script wasn't tailored to create those moments for Snyder.

You know it's weird, I feel like if Watchmen was made today, the giant squid would be in. It came out at a different time when weirder stuff we see today in comic films weren't common. That choice seemed to be driven by the fear of audiences thinking it was too silly. Sure enough in the Avengers, we see several giant alien monsters attacking a city.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #65
Blackman
C'mon Son

I honestly like the film ending better or at least I like the change of making Dr. Manhattan the alleged source of the destruction vs the giant squid from the coomic. The concept of that is better to me than the squid monster, but the actual execution is not all the way there.

My biggest problem with the ending is what happens after the death or Rorschach (which again I thought was better handled in the movie than the comic. I loved how Dan actually had emotion surrounding Rorschach's death) is that they took away Dr. Manhattan's line of "nothing ever ends" or something like that and gave it to either Dan or Laurie (I can't remember) and having it be a throw away line.

It's supposed to be this major moment saying: "Yeah you did all this but how long will it really matter? All you just did is a short term solution and is futile in the end"

Also didn't like how Dan and Laurie didn't switch identities.

But as I said the script they had, with some a few switches it wouldve worked damn near perfectly on a pure script level. The next step is getting a director who understands the material

Last edited by Blackman; 09-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #66
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Not sure why I discuss the movie when I never warmed up to the source material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Zack Snyder is soooo ****ing frustrating. It's because he clearly has it in him to be a top, top film maker. But he is just so inconsistent. Not just from movie to movie... but even within the same film! From concept to execution!

Hell look at Sucker Punch. The idea of abused, traumatised girls escaping into a metaphorical fantasy world to deal with the pain is awesome if you ask me.

The execution though? Load of old cobblers.
Something I noticed about him when it comes to BvS from pre-release to the outcry of foul and how lame that movie turned out to be; he let's his ego gets in his way too much. People who watched Sucker Punch point out things that lead me to the same conclusion.

I agree that he has it in him to be a great filmmaker, I want him to focus more on making a movie great and less on what he views as art while tripping over his own ideas.

YOUTUBE

Old 09-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #67
Blackman
C'mon Son

Magnificent Seven 2016 final town battle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>airport fight in Civil War

Old 09-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #68
dude stannis
Banned User

I'm going to assume it's because it actually served a purpose to the film.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #69
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Creed. Absurdly overrated, bland, sleep-inducing flick. I liked the first movie. I liked the one with Drago. But the rest, and especially this one...

Fast & Furious series. I don't know, I don't think I'm the kind, who prefers only something sophisticated or "not for everyone". Often I enjoy pure dumb fun. But I just don't understand the popularity of F&F. What's even more weird, how opinion of critics changed with time. Earlier movies received solid "rotten" ratings, but suddenly it became "fresh". When nothing really changed in the series itself.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #70
Blackman
C'mon Son

???

A lot changed in the F&F series from 1 to 5. 5 stopped taking itself so seriously and became dumb ridiculous fun with incredible set pieces. Come on they went from street racing and highway heists to swinging a safe through the streets of Rio to jumping cars out of a plane. I like F&F1 and 2 Fast but they are very different than Fast Five on

Fast and the Furious is one of the prime examples of how a franchise can reinvent itself, without rebooting/recasting for the better. Also Mission Impossible, in the first MI I dont think Tom Cruise fired his gun once. Or if he did it was only a little. Now look at 5 he's getting into motobike chases, gunfights, and hanging off the side of a plane

Last edited by Blackman; 10-01-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #71
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Nope, they speak their lines with the same deadly seriousness.

Also, IMO, hate for Judge Dredd '95 is so blown out of proportion. It's not that bad.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #72
Blackman
C'mon Son

ok but still saying the series hasnt changed is silly because you can literally see the changes in the stories and the set pieces and how the characters are used. So saying "nothing has changed" isn't really accurate

I'd even agree the lines are different too other than Vin Diesel's stuff

Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #73
dude stannis
Banned User

I think the Fast & Furious franchise lost something when it became about car stunts that have no basis in reality. Vin Diesel Superman catching Michelle Rodriguez in mid air is when the series jumped the shark for me. Plus I'll never get over how unsympathetic the characters outside of Luke Hobbs are. Hell, Deckard Shaw has more honorable intentions in avenging his brother than Dom's family do in robbing millions from a poverty stricken nation. Mission Impossible is the way better "heist" franchise.

Also, I'd gotten an hour into Warcraft last night before falling asleep. Honestly, I was digging it. I thought I was only 20 minutes or so into it.

Last edited by dude stannis; 10-01-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #74
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

I'll say this regarding F&F - the cars/stunts in general are the ONLY things that ever made that series worthwhile. The characters/writing are bunk. So when it actually embraced being about the cars/stunts and wasn't afraid to go OTT with those (I'd say with Fast Five), that's the first time I even started to like it.

BUT. When they started going full ridiculous CG-based stunts like the aforementioned thing with Vin Diesel flying through the air to catch Rodriguez, they lost me again. So they really only had me for like a movie-and-a-half, lol.

I'm always here for awesome practical stunts, though. And yes, Mission: Impossible is BY FAR the superior "heist" franchise. I didn't know that was in question.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #75
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude stannis View Post
I think the Fast & Furious franchise lost something when it became about car stunts that have no basis in reality. Vin Diesel Superman catching Michelle Rodriguez in mid air is when the series jumped the shark for me. Plus I'll never get over how unsympathetic the characters outside of Luke Hobbs are. Hell, Deckard Shaw has more honorable intentions in avenging his brother than Dom's family do in robbing millions from a poverty stricken nation. Mission Impossible is the way better "heist" franchise.

Also, I'd gotten an hour into Warcraft last night before falling asleep. Honestly, I was digging it. I thought I was only 20 minutes or so into it.
There was a basis in reality to begin with?

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Closed Thread