The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How did you like Iron Man 2?
10 - Amazingly Awesome! 99 20.37%
9 105 21.60%
8 137 28.19%
7 80 16.46%
6 25 5.14%
5 - Not horrible 18 3.70%
4 8 1.65%
3 7 1.44%
2 2 0.41%
1 - Geesh, this movie sucks! 5 1.03%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Immortalfire
Nothing So Divine
SHH! Global Moderator

SHH! OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

The film opens this week in several places, so I declare this thread open for business!

Please remember to USE SPOILER TAGS. At least for awhile.

Rock on.

Vartha ~ (1961-2017) Our Mod of Thunder

Last edited by Immortalfire; 04-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
I_am_iron_man
Side-Kick

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

I've seen the movie last night at press premiere. Not bad.

VOTE: 7

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_iron_man View Post

How did you rate the first movie?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
I_am_iron_man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
How did you rate the first movie?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
White_Knight191
Side-Kick

I'm gonna see it tommorow (Belgium release date is april 28th ) and I will try to post a review thursday if I get the chance.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
The_Joker7895
Side-Kick

Seeing it tonight, will report back when I recover from the awesomeness.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Spider-Steve
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knight191 View Post
I'm gonna see it tommorow (Belgium release date is april 28th )
Tommorow for me too. I'm very curious and excited!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_iron_man View Post

Viva la coerenza. Da quel che mi hanno detto su bt ne parlavi alquanto male.
Non ti smentisci mai.

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
drax
Banned User

I have just seen the movie this morning, I don't want to be rude but it was:

AMAZING !!!!!

It really, really, really good, I put this movie in the same level that the first, no, I find that better.

I think that John Favreau have done a fantastic job with the relation between the characters, and the action sequences are wonderful...it's, really amazing.

I don't understand the critics about this movie (and to be honest, I don't really care), but maybe they don't understand, unlike us comicbook fans, all the interactions between the characters and the next step of their futur.

It was really amazing, very well done, it's really a torture to wait the next years for Captain America, Thor, 2012 for the Avengers and Iron Man 3.

Really amazing 10/10.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #10
I_am_iron_man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Comicus View Post
Viva la coerenza. Da quel che mi hanno detto su bt ne parlavi alquanto male.
Non ti smentisci mai.
Non vuol dire che sia un film (personalmente) da 5 o 6. Sinceramente è leggermente meglio del primo film ma non migliore. Il finale è deludente ed è quello che più mi ha deluso. E' un buon film, non un capolavoro.

EDIT:
Aggiungo qualcosina perchè mi sembrava poca l'argomentazione :P

Intendevo dire che dire che non mi aspettavo qualcosina in più, è una bugia. Mi aspettavo un film ai livelli di uno Spider-Man 2 (che reputo un film, in votazione, da 8.5) o, perchè no, ambire alla perfezione de Il Cavaliere Oscuro. Invece è un filmetto d'intrattenimento, tutto qui, che di tanto in tanto cerca di far qualcosa in più ma poi muore tutto lì.

Il finale, poi, delude un pò (a me personalmente) ed infatti, sin dall'inizio, ho detto che il film mi è piaciuto per 3/4. Per il resto è un film godibile e guardabile (in america l'hanno definito unwatchable e non so perchè, c'è di peggio). E' un film che il suo 7 se lo merita tutto (ovvero un voto discreto) e che è leggermente migliore del primo episodio ma non di troppo.

Poi oggi esce la mia recensione su BT e leggerai meglio che comunque il mio discorso fila. Non ne ho mai parlato malissimo dicendo è un film orribile o cose del genere, ho solo detto che mi è piaciuto per 3/4 (appunto fino a prima del finale inguardabile a mio parere).

P.s. Comunque, nonostante tutto, ti ammiro per ciò che fai su comicus (che non è paragonabile nemmeno lontanamente a quel che faccio io per BT) ed è per questo che spesso e volentieri inserisco gli stralci delle tue interviste nelle news (tranne quella ultima di Kick-Ass che non era interessante per il nostro sito :P).

Ciao

Last edited by I_am_iron_man; 04-28-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
Doctor Florence

Uhuhhu altri italiani come me! Ragazzi se l'avete visto mi togliete questo dubbio? L'armatura Mark II che viene rubata torna al proprio posto o viene trasformata in War Machine?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
Juggernaut33
Side-Kick

Hi everybody! Just got back from a screening of Iron Man 2 (the movie opened today in France) and I gotta say that I was kind of aprenhensive about the sequel. You see, I didn't like the first Iron Man all that much. I mean yeah I thought it was entertaining and all and Robert Downey Jr. was just pefect casting as Tony Stark but other than that, it just felt a little bland to me. The plot was kinda thin so were the supporting characters and the third act felt kinda rushed. Overall, I thought the first one established the tone but other than that, it was kinda bare-bone for me. And well critics (most of 'em at least) all agreed that Iron Man 2 was not as good as the first one so I was kinda shocked because judging by the trailers and all it just felt like they'd improved upon the first one: the storyline seemed more compelling, the supporting characters seemed to have been fleshed out, the action looked a 100 times better and the villain looked promising (how can you go wrong with Mickey Rourke!). Well I'm happy to say that I absolutely 150% DO NOT agree with the critics. The second one is far better than the first. I think most critics enjoyed the fact that Iron Man (the first one) was sort of...how sould I put this...light...y'know like not too complex, just plain straightfoward and that's not Iron Man 2. I think they just took the first Iron Man and improved upon it, it's more complex, fun and entertaining. If you loved Iron Man 2, you're gonna dig Iron Man 2 at the very least.

By the way, about the final post-credit sequence
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Agent Coulson mentions to Tony Stark at some point in the film that he has to drive up to New Mexico. In the post-credit sequence, we see him arrive there, he gets out of the car and stands on the edge of a cliff. Looking down we see a giant hole in the ground and what looks like scientists all around it. Coulson grabs his cellphone and says: "Sir, we found it". And then...a shot of the hammer. It lasted for like maybe hlaf a second but it looked just like the one in the comics but the iron felt more sort of...layered...I don't if that makes sense to you but it looked somewhat a bit more technological. Anyway. Fan are gonna love it!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Ok, so I definitely enjoyed Iron Man 2 over the first, although I have the same complaint about the first
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
: the final confrontation was too short. This time WAY too short. Unless you count the drones sequence.The end credits scene had everyone going wild.
It was obvious, however that there were alot of cuts through this movie. On the flipside of things, I didn't think they could fit all this into one movie, much less a 2 hour movie, but they did it.

On the whole Debney Vs. Djawadi thing - I liked them both equally. But since he was replaced, I'm glad that debney kept some of the themes. Pain in the ass I gotta wait two more months for the score cd

Old 04-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
RealIrOnMaN
Shellhead

"Iron Man 2" Review - by RealIrOnMaN.

Today I had a chance to witness one of the most anticipated movies this year. Yeah guys, I am talking about "Iron Man 2". Tony Stark returns to the big screen with new adventures, new armor and new rivals. So, what were my impressions after I watched the sequel?

Plot

First of all, I must say that the screenwriter Justin Theroux, along with the director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. provided a new and unprecedented movie in the genre of comic book adaptations, because you just can't believe your eyes, when you see what the main character (Tony Stark) is doing throughout the whole movie.

Everything is perfect, except for some moments, but it is more due to the 30 minutes of deleted/cut scenes (which I'll talk about later), rather then a movie. In the new movie, Tony Stark is facing the consequences of revealing his secret identity to the whole world, as well as with his family legacy. Theroux, and Favreau showed very clearly and vividly how friends and enemies of the main character's are having an impact on our hero's fate in some way. In my opinion, all the fans of the comic books will be satisfied with the plot of the movie and its' ending.

The Cast

In this movie, my sympathy and high sense of admiration goes not only to Mr. Downey, whose talent and sense of humor is awesome as always, but also to the magnificent and friggin fantstic duo - Sam Rockwell (Justin Hammer)/Mickey Rourke (Whiplash). These will force you to laugh it all, but at the same time you will be able to look at those intrigues, these villains are using against the main hero. You can quote these two bad guys for hours, 'cause it is really funny and perfect. LMAO, that's all what I can tell about Sam and Mickey.

Do not also forget about Scarlett Johansson, who played mysterious Black Widow. All the early doubts about the actress (if you somehow had one) will be completely forgotten when you will see her in action. Happy Hogan played by Jon Favreau, made a pretty good impression on me as on the audience. He's great (especially in the "Monaco Clash" scene and "Breaking into Hammer Industries" one). In this movie he is not just some bodyguard of Tony Stark, that he was in the first movie. Now he is shown as one of Tony's best friends, who is always ready to help Tony Stark at any time. And this is a major upgrade for the character.

Don Cheadle (Rhodey/War Machine), fits perfectly into the cast of the movie. He's perfect. Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts), to be honest, at this time did not make much of impression, as she did in the first movie. Her character is facing a lot of stress, anger and excitement and a little piece of joy, but I can forgive her for the last scene. Sam Jackson (Nick Fury) is cool as always. He just looks at you and that's all you need to understand, how great he is.

Soundtrack

AC/DC, Queen, DJ AM, John Debney and many other fantastic performers go with in tact with each scene. Debney, in my humble opinion, took the best from the Ramin Djawadi's soundtrack of the first movie and added something intriguing and exciting into his music, which helped to make a lot of scenes in the movie look epic and incredible.

Special effects

At this time Jon and ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) worked out as best as they could to make everything look as awesome, as the budget of the movie allowed. I must admit, that sometimes I had a feeling that all armored and high tech things in the movie will not look so real and exciting as it was in the first IM, but, to my happiness, I was wrong. New armor, Hammer Drones and one secret armor looked of the hook, even better than they did in all recent tv-spots and trailers. I've had an indescribable pleasure from what I've seen today, not to mention the comic book fans that will find some iconic items that were taken directly from the Iron Man comics and greatly shown in the sequel, as, for example, a suitcase with the armor from the first issues of Tales of Suspense.

"Avengers Initiative"

This movie has a lot of references to future Marvel Studios movies, like "Thor", "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers", not to mention some key elements from the Marvel Universe itself. These things are interesting, a little bit mysterious and sometimes as funny as hell (poor Captain America), so I won't spoil anything here.

Conclusion

The sequel perfectly fits with the first movie, but does not exceed it. Of course we have so many positive things, even sincere and wonderful moments, but there is a feeling that something is missing. Maybe the problem lies in the cut scenes, which could be somewhat different, but to summarize in general, the film is a major success. Jon Favreau and the entire cast of the film did not disappoint the audience, and again they positively and amazingly began the first wave of summer 2010 blockbusters.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
White_Knight191
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealIrOnMaN View Post
"Iron Man 2" Review - by RealIrOnMaN.

Today I had a chance to witness one of the most anticipated movies this year. Yeah guys, I am talking about "Iron Man 2". Tony Stark returns to the big screen with new adventures, new armor and new rivals. So, what were my impressions after I watched the sequel?

Plot

First of all, I must say that the screenwriter Justin Theroux, along with the director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. provided a new and unprecedented movie in the genre of comic book adaptations, because you just can't believe your eyes, when you see what the main character (Tony Stark) is doing throughout the whole movie.

Everything is perfect, except for some moments, but it is more due to the 30 minutes of deleted/cut scenes (which I'll talk about later), rather then a movie. In the new movie, Tony Stark is facing the consequences of revealing his secret identity to the whole world, as well as with his family legacy. Theroux, and Favreau showed very clearly and vividly how friends and enemies of the main character's are having an impact on our hero's fate in some way. In my opinion, all the fans of the comic books will be satisfied with the plot of the movie and its' ending.

The Cast

In this movie, my sympathy and high sense of admiration goes not only to Mr. Downey, whose talent and sense of humor is awesome as always, but also to the magnificent and friggin fantstic duo - Sam Rockwell (Justin Hammer)/Mickey Rourke (Whiplash). These will force you to laugh it all, but at the same time you will be able to look at those intrigues, these villains are using against the main hero. You can quote these two bad guys for hours, 'cause it is really funny and perfect. LMAO, that's all what I can tell about Sam and Mickey.

Do not also forget about Scarlett Johansson, who played mysterious Black Widow. All the early doubts about the actress (if you somehow had one) will be completely forgotten when you will see her in action. Happy Hogan played by Jon Favreau, made a pretty good impression on me as on the audience. He's great (especially in the "Monaco Clash" scene and "Breaking into Hammer Industries" one). In this movie he is not just some bodyguard of Tony Stark, that he was in the first movie. Now he is shown as one of Tony's best friends, who is always ready to help Tony Stark at any time. And this is a major upgrade for the character.

Don Cheadle (Rhodey/War Machine), fits perfectly into the cast of the movie. He's perfect. Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts), to be honest, at this time did not make much of impression, as she did in the first movie. Her character is facing a lot of stress, anger and excitement and a little piece of joy, but I can forgive her for the last scene. Sam Jackson (Nick Fury) is cool as always. He just looks at you and that's all you need to understand, how great he is.

Soundtrack

AC/DC, Queen, DJ AM, John Debney and many other fantastic performers go with in tact with each scene. Debney, in my humble opinion, took the best from the Ramin Djawadi's soundtrack of the first movie and added something intriguing and exciting into his music, which helped to make a lot of scenes in the movie look epic and incredible.

Special effects

At this time Jon and ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) worked out as best as they could to make everything look as awesome, as the budget of the movie allowed. I must admit, that sometimes I had a feeling that all armored and high tech things in the movie will not look so real and exciting as it was in the first IM, but, to my happiness, I was wrong. New armor, Hammer Drones and one secret armor looked of the hook, even better than they did in all recent tv-spots and trailers. I've had an indescribable pleasure from what I've seen today, not to mention the comic book fans that will find some iconic items that were taken directly from the Iron Man comics and greatly shown in the sequel, as, for example, a suitcase with the armor from the first issues of Tales of Suspense.

"Avengers Initiative"

This movie has a lot of references to future Marvel Studios movies, like "Thor", "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers", not to mention some key elements from the Marvel Universe itself. These things are interesting, a little bit mysterious and sometimes as funny as hell (poor Captain America), so I won't spoil anything here.

Conclusion

The sequel perfectly fits with the first movie, but does not exceed it. Of course we have so many positive things, even sincere and wonderful moments, but there is a feeling that something is missing. Maybe the problem lies in the cut scenes, which could be somewhat different, but to summarize in general, the film is a major success. Jon Favreau and the entire cast of the film did not disappoint the audience, and again they positively and amazingly began the first wave of summer 2010 blockbusters.
Awesome review man I can't wait untill tommorow!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick

Awesome review man. It's really good to hear from the folks that I've been close with while this film was in production. Not trusting those other reviews dissing the movie. Reading some of my other friend's reviews, I can already sense the flaws in the movie, but they don't overtake it's awesomeness.

Thanks RealIronMan

Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Thanks RealIronMan.

As with most CBM's, I'll probably need multiple viewings to dope out how I feel about the movie. Good thing I scheduled my 9-day vacation from work to coincide with the release of the film next week.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
THE MR. TERRIFIC
HYPES KING OF COSPLAY

I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK!!! The suspence is KILLING ME!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud48V588NRw

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
Khemik@L
MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MR. TERRIFIC View Post
I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK!!! The suspence is KILLING ME!!
Your lucky. Where I live I may not see this for another 3 weeks to a month

FOR IF THE WAY YOUR POWER IS USED IS DICTATED TO YOU BY YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT A SPECTATOR? BUT IF YOU DICTATE YOUR INTENDED ACTIONS TO YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT THE ENFORCER?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I kind of had it like 8.5, so I just rounded up to 9 .

Basically, very good movie just not as good as Iron Man. The action and climax is a lot better though.

- CM Punk
Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I kind of had it like 8.5, so I just rounded up to 9 .

Basically, very good movie just not as good as Iron Man. The action and climax is a lot better though.
How would you say Whiplash is? Is he good or ok? Doe's he have more funny lines,or just that one about sharks,blood and water? I hope he has more personality and charm than I think he has right now?

And for the action,would you say this movie has more action in it than the last one? Lastly,is it true that the final battle is around 30 minutes long?

If the action is ramped up and if Whiplash is actually good,I'll be happy going into the movie for sure.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
hatebox
Side-Kick

I quite enjoyed Iron Man but it was the kind of film that was begging to be followed by a more enjoyable sequel. So it worries me that even people who liked IM2 often say it wasn't as good as the first. The stage was set so nicely.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #23
insider1970
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
I quite enjoyed Iron Man but it was the kind of film that was begging to be followed by a more enjoyable sequel. So it worries me that even people who liked IM2 often say it wasn't as good as the first. The stage was set so nicely.
Well, I actually watched the film yesterday in a preview screening (I live in Athens, Greece, the film is officially out on this Thursday here), and I had the same impression after the film finished, I was told by some fans that they liked the first film more. But you know what? I think it's not the overall quality of the film that's less worthy than the first one, in my opinion it's the fact that the element of surprise and novelty is not there any more. We have seen all that before. But that's just my opinion.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I rate it an 8 (the same as the first one) and I liked very much the character of Mickey Rourke. All the other cast seemed pretty average to me, even Robert Downey Jr. whom I love. Maybe it was the script's fault I don't know. And Johannson matched Paltrow in coldness I was somewhat disappointed by her character. But maybe I had too much expectations

Old 04-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
hatebox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider1970 View Post
Well, I actually watched the film yesterday in a preview screening (I live in Athens, Greece, the film is officially out on this Thursday here), and I had the same impression after the film finished, I was told by some fans that they liked the first film more. But you know what? I think it's not the overall quality of the film that's less worthy than the first one, in my opinion it's the fact that the element of surprise and novelty is not there any more. We have seen all that before. But that's just my opinion.

I'm sure expectations played a part, I suppose I'm just disappointed that Favreau and Marvel apparently didn't forsee the obvious anticipation and make something that was obviously leagues above its predecessor, to the point where it was undeniable. The first film was a lot of fun but it wasn't a masterpiece, there were plenty of ways it could have been improved on.

But again, i'll find out tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #25
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider1970 View Post
But you know what? I think it's not the overall quality of the film that's less worthy than the first one, in my opinion it's the fact that the element of surprise and novelty is not there any more. We have seen all that before. But that's just my opinion.
I think so too. It was the novelty of IM that got them but now that they had to build on it, the critics arent so interested about what happens to Tony Stark and the Marvel U.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut33 View Post
You see, I didn't like the first Iron Man all that much. I mean yeah I thought it was entertaining and all and Robert Downey Jr. was just pefect casting as Tony Stark but other than that, it just felt a little bland to me. The plot was kinda thin so were the supporting characters and the third act felt kinda rushed. Overall, I thought the first one established the tone but other than that, it was kinda bare-bone for me. And well critics (most of 'em at least) all agreed that Iron Man 2 was not as good as the first one so I was kinda shocked because judging by the trailers and all it just felt like they'd improved upon the first one: the storyline seemed more compelling, the supporting characters seemed to have been fleshed out, the action looked a 100 times better and the villain looked promising (how can you go wrong with Mickey Rourke!). Well I'm happy to say that I absolutely 150% DO NOT agree with the critics. The second one is far better than the first. I think most critics enjoyed the fact that Iron Man (the first one) was sort of...how sould I put this...light...y'know like not too complex, just plain straightfoward and that's not Iron Man 2. I think they just took the first Iron Man and improved upon it, it's more complex, fun and entertaining. If you loved Iron Man 2, you're gonna dig Iron Man 2 at the very least.
I havent seen the film, but i agree with you about IM1. It was too thin and simple for me as well. Judging by the trailers, IM2 is way more packed which i welcome, hoping that they dont screw up and that the action scenes are sufficient.

Closed Thread