The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

View Poll Results: What did you think?
10 3 23.08%
9 4 30.77%
8 6 46.15%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #51
O'Haire
Awesome
 
O'Haire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada.
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Pleasantly surprised with this one. I liked it A LOT more than I thought I would.

O'Haire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #52
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,064
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

We need another flashback episode or prequel series spinoff for CW Seed.

Young Kara and Alex were dead on.

Erica Durance did a great job playing an agent named after the original Lois Lane.

I think this is the first episode without Winn.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #53
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,455
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
That was some bad cgi...guessing they had to reshoot the scene.

Is Kenny gay.....
Well, he did try to kiss Kara, so I don't think so. Not all sensitive boys are gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Yeah I thought there was some retconning. But I am going to assume that Clark took Lex down multiple times until it finally stood 10 years later. And I am going to say that Kara went on to test out of her grade to be the same grade as Alex (what grade is she suppose to be in in this episode? Senior?)
Sheldon Cooper was 9 years old and in high school. So I can see where someone like Kara, who knew calculus at 4, could skip a couple grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Haire View Post
Pleasantly surprised with this one. I liked it A LOT more than I thought I would.
It was a nice filler episode. Nice shout-out to Smallville. So does this mean the Kara in Smallville wasn't the real Supergirl?


Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 11-13-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Osiris-Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 AM   #54
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Solid episode. It was very Smallville-lish circa 2001-2003 which is what they were trying to go for beyond just the nods.

The Smallville easter eggs in addition to Durance included did take me out of it a bit , but that's because I watched that show literally in real time from its premiere to the last episode.

I actually didn't totally buy the young Kara as a Younger version of Benoist's Kara.

While the younger Alex reminded me very much of Chyler Leigh's Alex, the younger Kara to be very different from Benoist and had a more of an edge , confidence, and a totally different energy to her .

That said, she did a good job even if it was a different Kara.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #55
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 151,676
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

I enjoyed the episode, it was a bit like a Hallmark movie meets Veronica Mars. The two young actresses that played young Kara and Alex were completely on point!

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #56
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Loki882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20,162
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Yeah I thought there was some retconning. But I am going to assume that Clark took Lex down multiple times until it finally stood 10 years later. And I am going to say that Kara went on to test out of her grade to be the same grade as Alex (what grade is she suppose to be in in this episode? Senior?)

And I guess they easteregged Chloe? Mentioned that she was Clarks friend.
Chloe was also mentioned in Man of Steel BTW. That film made several Smallville reference to.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #57
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
It was a nice filler episode. Nice shout-out to Smallville. So does this mean the Kara in Smallville wasn't the real Supergirl?
I took it to mean that there is a version of Chloe Sullivan in the Earth that this Supergirl takes place in.

Smallville with Allison Mack's Chloe , Durance's Lois, and Laura Vandervoort's Kara likely takes place on another one of the 52 Earths and universes.

Either that or its just a fun nod.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:46 AM   #58
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24,733
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

I liked the episode more than I expected.

I feel like the high school was the same one used in Smallville. The cop uniforms may have been similar to the ones used on that show too.

I liked the Lois Lane nod.

The teacher/student relationship and the Chloe nod made me go, "Yikes!" with the stuff about Sullivan coming more to light and then with Kreisberg.

I couldn't stop thinking of The Americans whenever the dude who played Kenny was on screen.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:47 AM   #59
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!
 
<(o_o)>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,210
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
She's got the expressions down, that's for sure.

I feel like there's some retconning happening in this ep. Clark took down Lex Luthor 10 years ago? All last season they were talking about it like a very recent development. I mean, Lena supposedly took over L-Corp when it happened, and she would've been 14 at this stage.

Alex and Kara being in the same grade/classes?

Eliza reading Cat Grant's book was a nice touch, though.
They made reference to Superman wearing his underwear on the outside of his costume, but the actor that portrays Superman on the show has never wore underwear on the outside of his costume. It was probably just a little shoutout to the older Superman costumes or the Superman established in this show did in fact used to wear underwear on the outside of his costume. Yes, I know they are trunks that Superman used to wear but calling them his underwear is a bit more funny.

__________________
"Welcome To The Worst Nightmare Of All Reality."
"Maybe Things In Their Life Were Going Wrong & They Just Needed Someone To Take Their Spite Out On."
<(o_o)> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:48 AM   #60
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27,542
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I couldn't stop thinking of The Americans whenever the dude who played Kenny was on screen.
THAT's where I knew him from. Thank you!

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #61
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 68,892
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I enjoyed the episode, it was a bit like a Hallmark movie meets Veronica Mars. The two young actresses that played young Kara and Alex were completely on point!
I loved the episode, and yes I totally agree with the Veronica Mars comparison. The only thing that I didn't like was Jonn transforming into Alura....that to me was very wrong, and extremely hurtful. IMO, they should have gotten Clark to come in and speak with her. I was actually thinking they were bringing Alura in to hurt or trick her in a way to capture her.....not using Alura this way, so extremely hurtful IMO. Did not like that at all.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #62
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 68,892
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
She's got the expressions down, that's for sure.

I feel like there's some retconning happening in this ep. Clark took down Lex Luthor 10 years ago? All last season they were talking about it like a very recent development. I mean, Lena supposedly took over L-Corp when it happened, and she would've been 14 at this stage.

Alex and Kara being in the same grade/classes?

Eliza reading Cat Grant's book was a nice touch, though.
They didn't have to be in the same grade to be taking the same class....I have classes that have all HS grades in it, 9 -- 12. Also, Kara could have taken tests to test out of some things.

Another thing I thought was off was that Kara didn't know who George Washington was? seriously, come on writers.....that was silly. She probably had 24 years of going over and over in the pod the history of Earth as a whole. Give me a break....that made her seem stupid.

So, overall, absolutely loved the episode, but there were those couple of things that I didn't like. I so, however, wanted her to kick that football players ass.......just once. But what she did was great.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #63
SSAV
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 155
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Okay.. I know there wasn't enough Melissa and Chyler this week and the story was like taking side trips that has not much to do with the main road but, I still liked it a lot.

I think Episodes 1 and 2 are still among the best episodes of the series; but this one is great for fleshing out Kara and Alex so much.

And showing Kara and Eliza (and Kara and Clark as well; so he didn't just leave her there).

They may have ignored Season 2 canon a bit.

I just liked the feeling of watching it so much I gave it a 10 despite its weaknesses.

Also, the kids were really good.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I suppose next week is all about Mon El? I accidentally saw a trailer somewhere.


Last edited by SSAV; 11-14-2017 at 09:10 AM.
SSAV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #64
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

I liked the episode and thought the young actors were excellent! (and uncannily familiar as Kara/Alex ). Obviously, the main story was about the sisters bonding - and the “murder mystery” was just a narrative pretext. That said, methinks the episode would have been improved if said mystery had been a tad more complicated (not so simple and perfunctory). And more specifically, it would have been nice if both Alex and Kara had displayed their own impressive smarts to solve the mystery - as if to foreshadow their future careers. As it was, the pair kinda just stumbled into the solution and/or relied on the clichéd “compute whiz” (off-screen Chloe) to do the serious sleuthing.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #65
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I loved the episode, and yes I totally agree with the Veronica Mars comparison. The only thing that I didn't like was Jonn transforming into Alura....that to me was very wrong, and extremely hurtful. IMO, they should have gotten Clark to come in and speak with her. I was actually thinking they were bringing Alura in to hurt or trick her in a way to capture her.....not using Alura this way, so extremely hurtful IMO. Did not like that at all.
That was one of the scenes that took me out of the episode . I actually thought it was Astra at first. I can see they wanted to have Durance appear in some fashion given the Smallville vibe, and they wanted Jonn to make an appearance.

It just seemed out of place and a bit inconsistent to for me at least. I think having Clark appear would have been less jarring and odd .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #66
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 68,892
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAV View Post
Okay.. I know there wasn't enough Melissa and Chyler this week and the story was like taking side trips that has not much to do with the main road but, I still liked it a lot.

I think Episodes 1 and 2 are still among the best episodes of the series; but this one is great for fleshing out Kara and Alex so much.

And showing Kara and Eliza (and Kara and Clark as well; so he didn't just leave her there).

They may have ignored Season 2 canon a bit.

I just liked the feeling of watching it so much I gave it a 10 despite its weaknesses.

Also, the kids were really good.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I suppose next week is all about Mon El? I accidentally saw a trailer somewhere.
Uh yes, the huge "boycotting of the slave owner" has begun....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #67
Sorath
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 160
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I liked the episode more than I expected.

I feel like the high school was the same one used in Smallville. The cop uniforms may have been similar to the ones used on that show too.

I liked the Lois Lane nod.

The teacher/student relationship and the Chloe nod made me go, "Yikes!" with the stuff about Sullivan coming more to light and then with Kreisberg.

I couldn't stop thinking of The Americans whenever the dude who played Kenny was on screen.
It was the same high school just called Midvile instead of Smallvile. Their even more of an added bonus to the scenes with front of the high school that I can promise no one caught. If you watch first season of smallvile they show the out side of the school a few times and you see people walking around and what not. Now go watch the same scenes in this episode of Supergirl and people are in almost identical position as they people that are in those scenes in Smallvile. They duplicated those scenes. which I think is awesome.

__________________
"I was a million miles away...chasing my holy trinity. Three Words...Superman Save Me."
`Superman
Sorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #68
Sorath
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 160
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Also they where not trying to tie smallville in to Supergirl with chole reference. I think they where just making nods to Smallville. All though for a moment when Erica Durance first appears in the living room I really though she was going to say was Lois.

__________________
"I was a million miles away...chasing my holy trinity. Three Words...Superman Save Me."
`Superman
Sorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #69
famicommander
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,544
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

References don't bother me but I absolutely don't want Smallville tied into the Arrowverse continuity in any way. I freaking hate Smallville but if they officially tied it into these other shows, I'd have to buy the stupid box sets because I'm too compulsive not to.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #70
Sorath
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 160
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(o_o)> View Post
They made reference to Superman wearing his underwear on the outside of his costume, but the actor that portrays Superman on the show has never wore underwear on the outside of his costume. It was probably just a little shoutout to the older Superman costumes or the Superman established in this show did in fact used to wear underwear on the outside of his costume. Yes, I know they are trunks that Superman used to wear but calling them his underwear is a bit more funny.
Actually little tid bit here in regards to this. For a while their where two Superman/Clark Kents. There was New 52 version and the Pre-Flashpoint Superman. Pre-Crisis Superman was in hiding with Lois and their son up till the New 52 Superman died. Then Pre-Flashpoint took over as Superman.

In a later issue Jon (Lois and Clark son) ask Clark about this original costume. The one where he wears trunks on outside. Clark explains it was his old costume and that he took the new one to honor The New 52 Superman and what he stood for.

As far as Supergirl Superman goes it more then likely he just made alterations to his Suite at some point.

__________________
"I was a million miles away...chasing my holy trinity. Three Words...Superman Save Me."
`Superman
Sorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #71
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
References don't bother me but I absolutely don't want Smallville tied into the Arrowverse continuity in any way. I freaking hate Smallville but if they officially tied it into these other shows, I'd have to buy the stupid box sets because I'm too compulsive not to.
It was just a knod and homage to Smallville given the show was on in 2007. Smallville is such a different continuity from the Arrowverse its not even funny, so they wouldn't attempt to do that silly.

I don't mind knods and winks to prior iterations , but I really do prefer each temporary custodian of these myths and characters to do their own thing ,and tell their own stories, as opposed to looking backwards and relying heavily on one particular past version.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #72
Sithborg
About time Filoni
 
Sithborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,899
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Great episode. Really loved it.

I was kind of disappointed that it was J'onn and not Astra, but I guess it makes the most sense.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #73
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24,733
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
References don't bother me but I absolutely don't want Smallville tied into the Arrowverse continuity in any way. I freaking hate Smallville but if they officially tied it into these other shows, I'd have to buy the stupid box sets because I'm too compulsive not to.
It was just a nod to the show. Just like so many Superman-related films and shows reference what has come before. Not that big of a deal.

Smallville already has its own multiverse thing going on based on the show and comic. But, that can easily be changed. Even if it was, I don't understand your fear of it somehow being tied to the Arrowverse in any significant way (like it simply being part of the Multiverse) or why you'd feel the need to buy the DVDs.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #74
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,064
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

The Smallville in the Supergirl continuity may not be the same one from the TV series, despite mentioning Chloe and her Wall of Weird.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #75
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,455
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorath View Post
Also they where not trying to tie smallville in to Supergirl with chole reference. I think they where just making nods to Smallville. All though for a moment when Erica Durance first appears in the living room I really though she was going to say was Lois.
She did say she was Noel Neill, which was the name of the actress that played Lois Lane in the 1950s TV series Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves.


Osiris-Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.