The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #476
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaelaTargaryen View Post
JL starts with 46/100 on Critic's Choice (though it likely has a small number of reviews at this point).

http://www.criticschoice.com/search/?s=justice

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 11-14-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #477
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last time Affleck had to deal with that meme and now he’s being called drunk and a dork. He’s really going to be ready to leave the role.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #478
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Dork Batman. That's totally what I needed.
But it's FUN! Boose we have to come together!

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #479
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
The horror...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #480
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Talking with DCEU fans on Twitter is surprisingly similar to conversing with Trump supporters. It's all conspiracy theories, fact spinning, answering to every bit of criticism with how Crooked Marvel already did it worse. Eventually when you call them out on all of that you get blocked. Hooray.

Really excited for Justice League tomorrow, though.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #481
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

But what about Feige's emails?

Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #482
The Endless
WE are Groot

It's the Russians.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #483
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene View Post
Talking with DCEU fans on Twitter is surprisingly similar to conversing with Trump supporters. It's all conspiracy theories, fact spinning, answering to every bit of criticism with how Crooked Marvel already did it worse. Eventually when you call them out on all of that you get blocked. Hooray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post

That's the best analogy I've seen yet

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #484
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Not to mention calling Snyder Daddy. Creepy as hell.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #485
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Not just Feige. But Raimi too. He's not gone, it's a Raimi-and-Feige conspiracy.

--John Adams
Old 11-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #486
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

But calling Snyder, Zaddy is a joke, everyone. I was told so by other posters. It's fun. Not to be taken seriously. It's definitely not creepy. It's even used in the urban community.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #487
Timebomb
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
It's the Russians.
OutOfBoose?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #488
Ene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
It's the Russians.
Isn't Justice League partly set in Siberia?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #489
Timebomb
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaelaTargaryen View Post
JL starts with 46/100 on Critic's Choice (though it likely has a small number of reviews at this point).

http://www.criticschoice.com/search/?s=justice
So it's below BVS to start? OUCH!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #490
Blackman
C'mon Son

If I recall correctly, someone got prob. banned for calling DCEU fans similar to Trump supporters. So I'd chill

Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #491
Visualiza
Jimmy Scrambles

Quote:

So spot on that it's scary. These movie fanbases tend to be about as miserable as their film franchises are. We saw every end of the spectrum with Spider-Man fans. Breezy highs in the heyday of Spider-Man 1 & 2, crushing disappointment in the wake of SM3, and the TASM crowd brought with it a lot of the paranoia, bitterness, and resentment that you see with Snyder's diehards, with the added bonus of infighting with the Raimi crowd. It's come full circle again with Homecoming though, and most fans seem generally content again, and at least hopeful for the future of the character.

I think that once these movies get consistently good and have a legitimately positive outlook for the future, all the nastiness among the more ardent fans will die down.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #492
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
So spot on that it's scary. These movie fanbases tend to be about as miserable as their film franchises are. We saw every end of the spectrum with Spider-Man fans. Breezy highs in the heyday of Spider-Man 1 & 2, crushing disappointment in the wake of SM3, and the TASM crowd brought with it a lot of the paranoia, bitterness, and resentment that you see with Snyder's diehards, with the added bonus of infighting with the Raimi crowd. It's come full circle again with Homecoming though, and most fans seem generally content again, and at least hopeful for the future of the character.

I think that once these movies get consistently good and have a legitimately positive outlook for the future, all the nastiness among the more ardent fans will die down.
Sort of. Spider-Man fans largely really liked Homecoming, but are dreading the onslaught of villain spin-offs that Sony has planned.

The happiest fanbase is definitely the Avengers fans. I seldom hear any significant complaints from Avengers fans or those that are fans of the major Avengers, with maybe the one exception of Hulk fans who want him to have another solo film and nothing particularly wrong with the Hulk we've been given.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #493
Limonade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
If I recall correctly, someone got prob. banned for calling DCEU fans similar to Trump supporters. So I'd chill
Yeah. These levels of JL excitement, from DC fans, will probably calm down once Friday comes around and people are then feverishly fighting over the quality of the film. That's just my guess.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #494
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
When you start arguing different points then what I made, its really bad. The point was and still is, people didn't cry about the third act like some here are saying they did. This is the vocal minority idea. The numbers show fine satisfaction.
I agree WW was a really good movie so I wasn't even arguing that. I felt the last part of the movie was generic like a lot of other movies, but I still walked out of the theater smiling and feeling really good about the movie. Lots of "exhilarating moments" was my main takeaway. And boy was the WW character well done! My deepest hope is that Superman is written like that going forward. (please WB?)

The negatives were far outweighed by the positives just like a ton of other movies I've liked. Perfect movies (one's where I wouldn't change anything) are really rare.

So if you think I'm arguing that audiences didn't like WW, you've misread me. This is about a faulty comparison.
Quote:
I am curious though. If you think adjusted is the most important number, why is it always listed understand the actual numbers on sites like Mojo? Why is that the default?
Well first I never said it's the "most important number". I said it's a "more important number for this particular conversation". If you are going to compare movies across a number of years then you have to try to adjust numbers to make a fair comparison. Newer films are always going to gross more. In 20 years or so some "origin movie" will outgross WW and you'll finally understand what I'm saying....because you'll be doing the same thing. But the problem then will be you may have to find a tricky way of adjusting that still puts WW at the top and leaves off Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman.
Quote:
Its not from time to time. Not what has happened this year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4326

September basically functioned like August/July need to, moving 2017 closer to 2016. And then October was poor again.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/monthly...ew=releasedate

Blade Runner came out in October...
Exactly and we are talking about 2017. It goes up and down because different movies come out during the year. If people really weren't going to the movies any more then September would not set any records. Obviously something else changed...the movies. Movies came out in September that more people wanted to see and guess what happened? ...They went to the movies. Down years happen when more movies are like Blade Runner than It.

So 2017 is about a bunch of movies being released that did not excite the public. I'm pretty sure people are going to suddenly want to go to the movies next month when Star Wars comes out. Blade Runner didn't excite anyone (in retrospect not surprising...the original didn't either). I was sitting there watching Blade Runner and loving every minute of it....but I could tell it wasn't going to be a "crowd pleaser". (that word exists for a reason) And I was sitting in an almost empty theater.
Quote:
WW had the advantage this summer because people really liked it. This is like saying JW had the advantage or Dory had the advantage because people really liked them.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/monthly...r=2017&month=6

This June had Transformers, Despicable Me, and Cars 3. Baby Driver, ended up making over 100m and being Edgar Wright's most successful movie by a lot. Grossing more then all of his other movies combined WW I believe.
So you here don't believe competition is a factor. In fact you are claiming that WW did indeed have competition despite also claiming that 2017 was a down year.

So I wonder what you'll think when Thor 3 has a big drop this weekend when JL comes out? Competition doesn't matter right? Why didn't they release both movies the same weekend?

You can always pick out a few movies that did "better than expected". You had to reach for a movie that made over 100m for that here. The problem is that so many movies released over the summer grossed less than expected. Pirates grossed 172m....that's more than Baby Driver. But it was expected to do a lot more. It's the worst grossing of all the Pirates movies by a large margin. That's how you get a bad year at the box office. (you HAVE to know this)
Quote:
And that is the catch. If the problem is that people went to see WW just because it had weak competition, then why did it preform so well, while other such films didn't? Its because people were liking it. A lot. They Saw WW and liked it.
Agreed and I never said otherwise. "just because it had weak competition" wasn't what I said. I said it benefited from weak competition. That is a real thing. If a family or person is in the mood to go to the movies and WW is still the best option even though they've already seen it, that is a good thing for WW. There is a reason why a big movie like that tries to find a release date without competition if they can. We are about to see exactly why this matters in 2 days.

WW's big competition the next week was....The Mummy. (nuff said) Then Cars 3...the 17th highest grossing Pixar movie. (and a slightly different audience) Then the worst performing Transformers movie by a mile. Baby Driver over performed...but as you pointed out that's an over performance for a Wright movie. Not exactly a threat for a big budget movie like WW. Then came another movie for a slightly different audience. Despicable Me 3. In addition to targeting a different demo than WW it also under performed....dropping over 100m from Despicable Me 2. Spider-Man showed up after WW had an entire month pretty much to itself. That's a good thing in box office. WW was under 10m for its weekend by that point so it had already made something like 87% of it's total.

WB couldn't have written a better script for a release of a big tentpole movie. I agree that this only works if people like the movie of course. The Mummy would have been the movie to benefit from weak competition if people loved it and didn't like WW. Suddenly the Mummy would have been the best option several weeks into its run.

Quote:
This is just like the argument earlier in the year over BatB. People were pissing on it a lot here, when the truth was it became one of the 10 highest grossing films all time domestically because people really liked it.
Same situation. Of course people liked it...a lot. But you would rather be the movie people like with weak competition than the movie people like with strong competition. The former would outgross the latter most of the time.

I didn't see BatB so I don't know what the draw was there. If it was something like Avatar or Jurassic World were it was "nostalgia" or "gimmick" then that may have been the argument you heard.
Quote:
The amount of screens argument. is irrelevant for one obvious reason. There are a lot more movies now. A lot more.

https://stephenfollows.com/how-many-...sed-each-year/

This eats screens. This takes away more ticket sales, even as all these films compete for basically the same amount of ticket sales with a larger population.
Well now you've switched positions again. So now competition for the audience matters? I thought that didn't help WW?

And you missed this part of the article:

Quote:
Let’s break that down into a little more detail. Using data from The Numbers, we can split these numbers into two groups – films by one of the six major Hollywood studios (i.e. Warners, Disney, Fox, Paramount, Sony and Universal) which have a wide release (i.e. in at least 1,000 cinemas) versus all other films.

This shows us that the large growth in film realeases has not come from the big Hollywood movies we hear so much about. In fact, they’ve dropped slightly. In 2006 there were 128 such “wide Studio releases” and just 93 in 2016 (a 27% reduction).
So there are less movies "eating up screens". in 2017 there have only been 115 movies released on 1000 screens or more so far. In 2002 when Spider-Man came out there were 134. And Spider-Man also had to deal with a Star Wars movie coming out in its 3rd week. You know that matters. It only got the market to itself for 2 weeks. (Just like Thor 3)

Quote:
Also, the clear problem with the amount of movies in the 300 even top 1000 is clear and obvious. More movies, more blockbusters, more such franchises. If we use the argument about lesser screens in the past, then you can't use the argument that there are more movies now making up the backend. Because we are talking about the biggest grosses of all time. This is why the middle of the road films have all but disappeared.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ho...es-1201526094/
A lot of that is an opinion piece about what movies they think "should be made". "The problem is that not all of the projects they’re bankrolling are worthy of their riches. The New York Times, for one, agrees."

Doesn't change that there are more screens today. And if you want to point out that the top grossing movies get more of those screens than they would have in the past...that helps my point. That's an advantage for today's big budget movies. Hence the reason why it's easier to get onto the top 300 adjusted list today.

Or to couch it in our conversation:
WW got 4,165 screens
SM got 3,615 screen.

That's a huge advantage for WW. There is a reason why the question "how many screens?" comes up in every box office discussion.

Quote:
But more to the point. I am pretty sure I never said Wonder Woman was a bigger deal then Spider-Man. But it did gross more. And whatever you like to say about inflation, it did so in an era that is seeing less tickets, with more movies.
True that WW did gross more. That's all though. It wasn't more popular than Spider-Man, Batman, or Superman.

In 20 years it will happen to WW too and probably by a movie that will sell less tickets.

Quote:
That is not what you wrote, at all.
Well I worded it poorly then. I'll take the blame for that.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #495
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post

I think you are right.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #496
Kane52630
Technologic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The dork knight.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #497
Ene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Sort of. Spider-Man fans largely really liked Homecoming, but are dreading the onslaught of villain spin-offs that Sony has planned.

The happiest fanbase is definitely the Avengers fans. I seldom hear any significant complaints from Avengers fans or those that are fans of the major Avengers, with maybe the one exception of Hulk fans who want him to have another solo film and nothing particularly wrong with the Hulk we've been given.
The spin-offs are scary. I appreciate if they want to follow Fox's suite and make more varied films in the genre with more freedom for filmmakers, but Sony is not the most reliable studio. Venom sounds promising enough, but it's too early to tell.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #498
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
How devilish.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #499
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
The spin-offs are scary. I appreciate if they want to follow Fox's suite and make more varied films in the genre with more freedom for filmmakers, but Sony is not the most reliable studio. Venom sounds promising enough, but it's too early to tell.
I would say the ONLY promising statement that could be made is that Hardy doesn't sign up to 'poor material' and so he must see/have seen something in the character or script that spoke to him at the potential.

Personally, my thinking is a 'solid' Venom film without Spiderman is a wasted opportunity.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #500
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Well I'm plating myself firmly in the JL RT thread and JL is already getting savaged by "leaked reviews"

Closed Thread