The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

View Poll Results: What did you think?
10 4 25.00%
9 6 37.50%
8 6 37.50%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #126
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,083
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAV View Post
I watched the episode again, and you were right Kelly. J'onn was cruel and it was really painful to watch Kara get her hopes up and then have it dashed. I didn't pay attention before because I was just excited to have it confirmed that J'onn was there unexpectedly and that he actually did watch over them all these years.

The George Washington thing was also a bit weird. I don't agree that she would have had 24 years to study earth history, mainly because S1 says she was asleep once she entered phantom zone and woke up just when Indigo did something. Besides, if time doesn't exist there, then how can she have any time to study?

Also, Kryptonians may have known some things about Earth given how many pods and babies they sent here, but, they are unlikely to have known all of Earth history or even some of it. Knowing some science details doesn't equal knowing some place's culture entirely. At most, they knew the language and knew some basics; enough to know their kids won't end up dead.

However, she should have known George Washington's name given she has been on Earth the past two years. Even I knew it when I was fourteen and I was not even in the US (I studied it in our world history classes). May be they should have asked something more obscure like When did Vikings first come to North America, or When did the Battle of Algiers happen (if US students do learn history of other places).

Also, didn't like the fact that Alex had failed Calculus. Apparently, somewhere in Season 2, the writers decided to make Alex just the brawn with not much of a brain.

The kids were great; and aside for these facts, the writing was also good. It showed so much about Kara's pain in those initial years (which she suppressed later on once she had a friend and someone who accepted her in Alex). It fleshes out her pain this season when everything has precipitated once again.

And because Alex is my second favourite character; I was glad to see what Kara saw in her. In face of both obstruction and rejection from her friends, even her best friend, she persists in trying to find the killer. And she goes on even when Kara finally gives up out of fear for her (Alex's) life. And best of all, as far as Kara is concerned, despite not having taken to Kara initially, she does show the utmost faith in Kara. That she would come and save the day. That must have taken some courage and trust.

And given where Kara was at the time, that trust must have meant the world to Kara.
It has been stated this season however that she was awake. Her conversation with Winn in the "Triggers" episode confirms that. I don't think it was ever stated in Season 1 that she was asleep the entire time. The prisoners on Fort Rozz weren't asleep and they were all in the Phantom Zone, her mother just said we will be with you in your dreams. So, putting all of that together plus her fears "Triggers" and I believe she was indeed awake for periods at a time. Which made her all the more remarkable to me as a 13 year old that she was able to come out of that as normal as she did.

They learn the history of other places in my class.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #127
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,684
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They should've just had an FBI agent who looked like Kevin Costner telling her not to use her powers.
They wanted to give Erica Durance some screen time. It's like with Floriana Lima, use her or lose her.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #128
BH/HHH
You Are My World
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 26,757
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
IMO, he was talking about the time they spent together at that time. I figured they had spent the evening before talking about it, and he wanted to spend a little more time to hear more stories. I still go back to Alex's comment, yes using the word "abandoned" was probably a little harsh because she was upset, but Kara did not fight her on it, as in.....he didn't abandon me, he came and saw me all the time.... I don't think he did. In part, lack of time, in part trying to give her the same kind of life he had, in part to keep her safe. I don't see it as a horrible thing, it was just how it was. IMO, they had a relationship of him coming to see her, then why didn't he come and talk to her?

And don't even get me started on how horrible that was for them to use her mother in that scene....the writers were way off on that. Hell, they could have had Clark call her or something....geez.
You can still be abandoned by someone yet still see them at times. I don’t think he was visiting her every week but I think he popped in from time to time. As I even said in Midvale she knew some stuff about Clark like he had a friend called Chloë who helped him on cases etc. She surely knew that from talking to him.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you on this lol.

__________________
#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #129
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,083
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
You can still be abandoned by someone yet still see them at times. I don’t think he was visiting her every week but I think he popped in from time to time. As I even said in Midvale she knew some stuff about Clark like he had a friend called Chloë who helped him on cases etc. She surely knew that from talking to him.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you on this lol.
I don't think I said that they never saw each other, but it is very clear that he wasn't around much or even enough to have a clear relationship with her, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think we may be mixing up how the writers have portrayed it in their writing, and how we would think that it would actually be.....IMO, it would actually be that he would see her on a regular basis, but the writers have certainly not written it that way.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #130
BH/HHH
You Are My World
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 26,757
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I don't think I said that they never saw each other, but it is very clear that he wasn't around much or even enough to have a clear relationship with her, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think we may be mixing up how the writers have portrayed it in their writing, and how we would think that it would actually be.....IMO, it would actually be that he would see her on a regular basis, but the writers have certainly not written it that way.
I’m not saying he was there every week but clearly for me from what’s been in the writing he definitely did visit her. Whether that was twice a year or whatever is all that’s unclear to me.

__________________
#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #131
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,083
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

I would go with twice a year...with no problem. I could see that, Raomas and her Birthday possibly.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #132
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41,669
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Why were Kara and Alex in the same history class when they are 2 years apart? Its not like Kara skipped bc she wasnt that smart and I dont see how Alex would have been held back when she knew her stuff. It seems unfeasible that they would be in any educational classes together. Gym and electives? Yeah, but not history

Also this episode happened 3 years after Kara landed on her. Alex really hated her for three years? At this point, I would have thought they'd have forge a relationship

The FBI agent just so happening to look like her mother was nonsensical and unneceary. I thought that was Astra at first, which also made me go huh?

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #133
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,684
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Why were Kara and Alex in the same history class when they are 2 years apart? Its not like Kara skipped bc she wasnt that smart and I dont see how Alex would have been held back when she knew her stuff. It seems unfeasible that they would be in any educational classes together. Gym and electives? Yeah, but not history
They said in the episode that Kara was an advanced placement student. Meaning she has enough knowledge that she was able to skip a few grades.
That is the whole premise of the TV show Young Sheldon. That Sheldon Cooper is so smart that when he was only 9 years old he was already in high school.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #134
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41,669
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
They said in the episode that Kara was an advanced placement student. Meaning she has enough knowledge that she was able to skip a few grades.
That is the whole premise of the TV show Young Sheldon. That Sheldon Cooper is so smart that when he was only 9 years old he was already in high school.
but Kara does not have enough knowledge to skip a few grades. We saw that in the episode. Im not saying she's dumb but she was at the top of her class so to speak when she couldnt get a basic question right. B

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #135
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,083
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
but Kara does not have enough knowledge to skip a few grades. We saw that in the episode. Im not saying she's dumb but she was at the top of her class so to speak when she couldnt get a basic question right. B
Science and Math....were her subjects. And yes she does, it was stupid writing, not stupid Kara.

Plus, she didn't "skip grades"......anyone 9th -- 12th can take AP courses. It's not about skipping grades, it is simply signing up for the course. She could have taken AP World History her Freshmen year which would have put her in AP US History her Sophomore year....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #136
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41,669
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Science and Math....were her subjects. And yes she does, it was stupid writing, not stupid Kara.

Plus, she didn't "skip grades"......anyone 9th -- 12th can take AP courses. It's not about skipping grades, it is simply signing up for the course. She could have taken AP World History her Freshmen year which would have put her in AP US History her Sophomore year....
Osiris Rex is the one that said the bit about skipping grades

That doesnt make sense based on this episode. Kara was not good in history bc she saw no value in it. How could she be in AP based on her poor performance? Even if she was in AP US history, it still doesnt make sense that she would be in the same class as Alex who is 2 years ahead of her which was my original point

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #137
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,083
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Osiris Rex is the one that said the bit about skipping grades

That doesnt make sense based on this episode. Kara was not good in history bc she saw no value in it. How could she be in AP based on her poor performance? Even if she was in AP US history, it still doesnt make sense that she would be in the same class as Alex who is 2 years ahead of her which was my original point
Good grief....once again, ANYONE can take an AP course if they desire. As I explained somewhere around here.....according to the College Board which oversees AP testing etc for AP classes, AP courses should be open to any and all that want to take them. Apparently she wanted to take them, or at the least Eliza made her sign up for them. Which happens.....

And besides.....so what? LOL damn the episode wasn't about how good she is or isn't in history.

And as to your original point...when it comes to AP courses, they are not grade level courses. In my AP Human Geography course I have 9th -- 12th graders, 14 -- 18 year olds.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Last edited by Kelly; 11-23-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #138
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41,669
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

It was an observation made from watching the episode. It’s not big a deal in the grand scheme of things and if you don’t feel that way then no need to dwell on it

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #139
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,684
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Just saying if a TV show can be built around the premise that a 9 year old, basically a 4th grader, can be in high school, and thus skipping 5 grades,
then having a Kara, who studied calculus when she was 4 years old, be a couple of grades ahead in high school shouldn't be that hard to imagine.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #140
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,083
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
It was an observation made from watching the episode. It’s not big a deal in the grand scheme of things and if you don’t feel that way then no need to dwell on it
LOL, not a big deal, just seemed to take a long time to discuss...

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #141
Reaver027
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 79
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

I recently saw some clips of this episode on YouTube. After that i decided to watch the full episode. I dropped the show after season 1 at the same time i dropped all the other CW shows.
This was by far the best Supergirl episode i have watched. Wish there could be more of this but i feel like it will be a one off. If only the other episodes i watched were on the same level.

Reaver027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #142
Sithborg
About time Filoni
 
Sithborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,424
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

You at least owe it to yourself to watch the season 2 premier 2-parter with Superman.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #143
Spirit
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 140
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

I just rewatched "Midvale." Now I want to see a time travel episode in which current Alex and Kara meet their teenage selves.

Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #144
SSAV
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 174
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I just rewatched "Midvale." Now I want to see a time travel episode in which current Alex and Kara meet their teenage selves.
That would be interesting.

SSAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #145
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 42,876
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I just rewatched "Midvale." Now I want to see a time travel episode in which current Alex and Kara meet their teenage selves.
Or how about one where teenage Kara becomes Supergirl years earlier. That could be an alternate timeline if they wanted. I'd love to see her in the suit and looking like the younger Supergirl that we always see in the comics who isn't a fully-fledged working adult yet.

How old is Supergirl in the comics meant to be anyway?

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #146
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick
 
Osiris-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,684
Default Re: Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Or how about one where teenage Kara becomes Supergirl years earlier. That could be an alternate timeline if they wanted. I'd love to see her in the suit and looking like the younger Supergirl that we always see in the comics who isn't a fully-fledged working adult yet.

How old is Supergirl in the comics meant to be anyway?
I have been reading the current Supergirl Rebirth comic books and in the comic books Kara is a 16 year old girl still in high school and has an internship with Cat Grant at Catco. She also worked with the DEO for a while, but the DEO
is run by Cameron Chase (she was the FBI agent in the Toyman story on TV) and Eliza and Jeremiah Danvers were assigned as her handlers by the DEO with the ruse that they are her foster parents. No Alex Danvers.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.