Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #51
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
SCOTT SNYDER TEASES HIS BATMAN EVENT PLANS WITH CAPULLO, JOHNS
http://www.cbr.com/scott-snyder-teas...n-event-plans/

Even Y: The Last Man? It's one of my favourite series.
Not really interested in Y. I've thought about picking up the trade because I like to try things before I knock it, but I nowhere near that. I've got hundreds of trades and hundreds of floppies that I already own that's in my read pile.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #52
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

How often do you guys go back and re-read your favorite stories?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #53
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
How often do you guys go back and re-read your favorite stories?
It depends because I also have a huge pile list of trades and issues to go through.

Usually I re-read something short, like Batman: Year One, whenever I go to a walk-in medical clinic.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #54
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
It depends because I also have a huge pile list of trades and issues to go through.

Usually I re-read something short, like Batman: Year One, whenever I go to a walk-in medical clinic.
Yeah, for the most part I prefer to read something new rather then go back and re-read something, but I've been itching to go back and re-read Frank Miller's Daredevil run.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 12-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #55
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

I tend to prefer to read new stuff too, generally, but I have been re-reading a lot of old classic comics this year. In the last month, it has been stuff from the 70s and 80s. I also re-read The Long Halloween and Dark Victory this year, which are two of my favourite stories.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #56
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Yeah, for the most part I prefer to read something new rather then go back and re-read something, but I've been itching to go back and re-read Frank Miller's Daredevil run.
I need to find all four (five?) volumes of his run. There's the omnibus but it's quite huge so not really the best reading option while taking public transit. The Man Without Fear and Born Again trades will tide me over until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade W View Post
I tend to prefer to read new stuff too, generally, but I have been re-reading a lot of old classic comics this year. In the last month, it has been stuff from the 70s and 80s. I also re-read The Long Halloween and Dark Victory this year, which are two of my favourite stories.
I love Loeb/Sale. Their "colour theme" books at Marvel are great too (Hulk: Gray, Spider-Man: Blue, etc.). They recently did Captain America: White but I'm still waiting for the paperback to be released.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #57
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Quote:
I love Loeb/Sale. Their "colour theme" books at Marvel are great too (Hulk: Gray, Spider-Man: Blue, etc.). They recently did Captain America: White but I'm still waiting for the paperback to be released.
What do you think of the ending of TLH? Do you think it was
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Alberto, Gilda, or both?

Old 12-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #58
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Long Halloween is fantastic but I loved Dark Victory even more. I read it in one sitting.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #59
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

TLH and DV re two stories that I can read in one sitting too, despite being lengthy. They are great stories and are hard to put down.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #60
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Tim Sale needs to draw some more Batman stories. I did get the Rebirth variant covers.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #61
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

What did you make of the ending in TLH Pancakes?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #62
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Seemed like Gilda was the holiday killer to me. Maybe she was a copycat.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #63
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Tim Sale needs to draw some more Batman stories. I did get the Rebirth variant covers.
I dig me some Tim Sale, but I felt like he was phoning it in on a lot of those variant covers.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #64
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

What are posters here favourite Tim Sale art?

Last edited by Slade W; 12-30-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #65
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
What do you think of the ending of TLH? Do you think it was
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Alberto, Gilda, or both?
Quote:
Seemed like Gilda was the holiday killer to me. Maybe she was a copycat.
I think it was Alberto first then Gilda took over as a copycat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
I dig me some Tim Sale, but I felt like he was phoning it in on a lot of those variant covers.
Agreed. His variants for Monster Men were horrible.

Quote:
What are posters here favourite Tim Sale art?
I don't have images but some from TLH I really dug like the one-page of Two-Face flipping his coin.

Another book from Loeb/Sale I really like is Superman: For All Seasons. Definitely one of my favourite Supes stories.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #66
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

I have been meaning to re-read Superman: For All Seasons for a while now. I re-read TLH, DV, Catwoman: When in Rome and Haunted Knight this year.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #67
geetard
Rebirth

I haven't read HK yet (don't even own it but plan to). C:WIR is a decent companion to TLH/DV. Talking about Catwoman, I'll have to read Brubaker's run on the character.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #68
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

C:WIR is a good story, but it definitely is not of the same quality of TLH or DV IMO.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #69
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
I haven't read HK yet (don't even own it but plan to). C:WIR is a decent companion to TLH/DV. Talking about Catwoman, I'll have to read Brubaker's run on the character.
Brubaker Catwoman is in my pile.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #70
sweetre15
Positive Page

I've been having a blast with New Teen Titans because it blends everything good about comics it has the action and soap opera elements associated with Marvel while largely having the grand/mythic feel to its story that's often associated with DC during the time of its creation.

If there was every a list of the best comic runs from "The Big Two" I'd put Wolfman and Perez's NTT in the top 5 of that category every time next to Stan Lee and John Romita's Spider-Man run, and Claremont/Byrne's Uncanny X-Men amongst others.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #71
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
I've been having a blast with New Teen Titans because it blends everything good about comics it has the action and soap opera elements associated with Marvel while largely having the grand/mythic feel to its story that's often associated with DC during the time of its creation.

If there was every a list of the best comic runs from "The Big Two" I'd put Wolfman and Perez's NTT in the top 5 of that category every time next to Stan Lee and John Romita's Spider-Man run, and Claremont/Byrne's Uncanny X-Men amongst others.
I would love to know in what order you rank your favourite runs, in addition to your favourite stories ever (ie Long Halloween, TDKR, TKJ etc.) and favourite single issues.

I have a thread for it, if you are interested of course:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=519031

Old 12-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #72
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
I would love to know in what order you rank your favourite runs, in addition to your favourite stories ever (ie Long Halloween, TDKR, TKJ etc.) and favourite single issues.

I have a thread for it, if you are interested of course:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=519031
Will definitely be happy to Oblige on my lunch break

WWE will always be the clear #1 company in pro wrestling as long as their next best competition is TNA, and TNA will always be the second-rate Mickey Mouse outfit with the creativity of a Xerox copier
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #73
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
P.S. I just finished the last of Civil War II, and that has been thoroughly awful from beginning to end.
I'm quite glad I talked myself out of spending money on that mess. Marvel needs the Rebirth treatment ASAP if you ask me.
Quote:
Oh nice! Thanks for the heads up.

I also have Formerly Known as the Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League. Where do those fit in continuity-wise?
I don't know how they really fit into continuity, I've yet to acquire them, but am hoping to pick them up with some of gift card I got for Christmas! As a huge Blue & Gold fan, they're high up on my "Must Get" list.
Quote:
DC has been of fire lately with all the reprints of old runs.
Yep! As a novice in the comic world, it's great that so many of these iconic series are getting reprinted! (Ostrander's Squad, Wolfman's Titans & Deathstroke, Grell's Green Arrow, etc...)
Quote:
And what would you say have been the best Rebirth titles overall at this stage?
I've really loved Detective Comics, Deathstroke, GLC, and Hellblazer. It's been rough trying to budget everything out. (Collecting comics kind of sucks as a college student) I want to love Blue Beetle so badly, but it's far from Giffen's best work, and there just seems so many missed opportunities with the story potential and bringing Ted back.

Also, I've been trying to piece together the DnA cosmic era. Why is Annihilation Volume One so dang expensive? Volumes 2 and 3 go for around 12 bucks on Amazon, but 1 sits up around $75!

Old 12-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #74
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
I'm quite glad I talked myself out of spending money on that mess. Marvel needs the Rebirth treatment ASAP if you ask me.

I don't know how they really fit into continuity, I've yet to acquire them, but am hoping to pick them up with some of gift card I got for Christmas! As a huge Blue & Gold fan, they're high up on my "Must Get" list.

Yep! As a novice in the comic world, it's great that so many of these iconic series are getting reprinted! (Ostrander's Squad, Wolfman's Titans & Deathstroke, Grell's Green Arrow, etc...)

I've really loved Detective Comics, Deathstroke, GLC, and Hellblazer. It's been rough trying to budget everything out. (Collecting comics kind of sucks as a college student) I want to love Blue Beetle so badly, but it's far from Giffen's best work, and there just seems so many missed opportunities with the story potential and bringing Ted back.

Also, I've been trying to piece together the DnA cosmic era. Why is Annihilation Volume One so dang expensive? Volumes 2 and 3 go for around 12 bucks on Amazon, but 1 sits up around $75!
I noticed volume 6 of Nova was going for $60 at my Half Price Books. I wonder what that is all about?

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #75
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
They just did it like a year ago with Secret Wars (which was frickin' amazing if anyone hasn't read it.)

Closed Thread