The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #51
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That would be awesome!!
it would certainly allow Dax to go toe to toe with Thanos.

1)A Quiet Place-9(2)Black Panther-9(3)The Shape of Water-8.5(4)Ready Player One-8(5)Tomb Raider-7(6)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #52
Kuwolski
Grunt Satirist

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part

I expected this or Ragnarok to get one to be honest, but still waiting on that next breakthrough in the genre. Logan is a start.

In 20 years the CBM genre will be picking up nods as easy as Star Wars.

Kuwolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #53
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
it would certainly allow Dax to go toe to toe with Thanos.
Hopefully Drax would get a few hits in before being absolutely pummeled!

Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #54
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Hopefully Drax would get a few hits in before being absolutely pummeled!
I think he would be able to do a bit more as Kronos is a God after all. However Thanos hold eventually win due to the Gauntlet.

1)A Quiet Place-9(2)Black Panther-9(3)The Shape of Water-8.5(4)Ready Player One-8(5)Tomb Raider-7(6)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #55
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I think he would be able to do a bit more as Kronos is a God after all. However Thanos hold eventually win due to the Gauntlet.
Oh I forgot the origin of the chat lol. Just responded to your last response as it's been a while since we were discussing it. Yeah that would make it more interesting for sure.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #56
Grootster
Dancing Tree

I just rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (I think this is the third or maybe fourth time I've seen it), and I must say that I forgot how much I love it. I still don't think it's quite a good as the first (although I can honestly think of very few sequels that are), but it's really a solid continuation of the story.

It's amazing how much character development and interaction is in this movie. James Gunn is a guy who definitely understands how interaction works, and does a good job letting the characters play off each other. It's honestly some of the best and most natural interaction I've seen in a blockbuster movie, especially one so...out there and fantastical. There's a strong emotional element and humanity that drives the story and gives the movie weight. (I feel like this is kind of lacking in a lot of modern blockbusters of this type.)

The effects in GOTGv2 are top notch. That may sound shallow to praise, but it really sells the world and invests you in the story. I don't think I saw a single bad effect in this movie. I'm not just talking about the obvious effects like Rocket, but even the locations and ships and whatnot. Ego's planet itself is breathtaking. I don't know how we went from this to the obvious green-screening and phony CGI of Ragnarok and Black Panther (and even The Last Jedi).

Not to be a Guardians shill, but James Gunn is one of the few modern filmmakers that completely blows my mind with his movies. I really don't know how he does it. There's just so many things to balance in a movie like this, and it executes them all almost perfectly. The Guardians movies could easily turn out so-so or flat out terrible, but they manage to be great. If I had to pick one modern series of movies that will most likely be remembered as a classic in a few decades, this would be it by far. Seriously, I think the Guardians movies will be put on the same level as something like the original Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #57
trainingrules
Newbie First Class

Maybe a hot take, but I really don't give a hoot about Guardians anymore. Definitely the most forgettable movies of the MCU (apart from Doctor Strange maybe). One more film, I could just about handle that, and then no more!

trainingrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #58
Drizzle
Fine, I'll D'oh it myself

I will say that upon further rewatches, the Yondu/Rocket/Groot branch of the story holds up a lot better than the Ego stuff with Peter. Mainly because the Ego plotline involves the rest of the Guardians just sitting around for the whole second act but also because this movie really belongs to Yondu. It almost feels like this is his story even more than Peter's.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #59
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Yeah, everything on Ego's planet on the second act drags a lot.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #60
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Oh I forgot the origin of the chat lol. Just responded to your last response as it's been a while since we were discussing it. Yeah that would make it more interesting for sure.
It happens

Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #61
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I think both GotG2 and AoU are similarly underrated films. I seem to appreciate them a lot more than many, lol

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #62
trainingrules
Newbie First Class

Star Lord and Stark are gonna butt heads a lot in IW!!

trainingrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #63
jr24tw
Side-Kick

The more I rewatch the movie the more I don't like it. To the point that I skip huge chunks of it and the only story that interests me is Gamora/Nebula and that one is given way too little time. I think Nicole Perlman had a lot more to do with why the first one worked for me. The second one was pure Gunn and I'm not a fan of pure Gunn. The sand box humor just made me identify all the more with Gamora, wanting to tear my hair out because of those idiots. The undercutting of every scene with a joke, after it happened the first few times I knew it would happen every time, so even the serious stuff had no weight to it eventually.

Drax was utterly useless in this movie with no story for him. Unless one counts him laughing at everything he says and telling Mantis how ugly she is a story. They could have cut him from this and nothing would have changed really.

Gamora/Nebula needed way more screen time. They are victims of physical and emotional/psychological abuse and their whole dynamic stems from that. You don't just get over that in a day and smoke the peace pipe.

Peter/Ego is just too much exposition. Once you realize Ego's plan doesn't make any sense, all that time wasted on endless explanations is just freaking annoying.

Rocket/Yondu/Groot was only interesting to me in so far as seeing how and in what environment Peter grew up in (via the treatment of Baby Groot by the Ravagers). The retcon of Yondu into a sudden (good) father of Peter's just doesn't work. They had to retcon their relationship and how Peter saw it to pull it off. Yondu's death never affected me for precisely that reason. He's the guy who kidnapped a kid because someone hired him to do so. Then he kept the kid but instead of giving him to people who could give him a loving home, he used him for his own ends in crime and exposed him to daily abuse. While he himself psychologically terrorized Peter by threatening to have him eaten by his crew. But hey, he was just being funny, right? And that was the loving father figure that Peter is supposed to regret losing?

And then Peter being fine like nothing happened at the end of the movie. Not like he just lost his last connection with his mom and two dads all in one day.

Last edited by jr24tw; 03-29-2018 at 12:25 AM.
jr24tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #64
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think both GotG2 and AoU are similarly underrated films. I seem to appreciate them a lot more than many, lol
Dude, yes.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote