The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Has Marvel made an outright "bad" movie?
Yes 43 31.16%
No 95 68.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #226
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Default Re: Has Marvel made an outright "bad" movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
^Exactly. She was the mastermind in the comic arc that the movie was loosely based on (whereas Killian showed up for like a page, if that). And it seemed like they might have been setting that up early on (the flashback scene at the beginning specifically). But then it gets dropped in favor of the Killian stuff.
Shame really as I loved the Extremis TPB.

1)Logan-9.5(2)John Wick 2-8(3)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(4)Ghost In The Shell-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #227
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I actually prefer IM2 myself. It's a bit better paced, it holds together more as a movie, and the comedy works a bit better. Oh and also fewer plot holes, and no hamfisted "twist" either, that helps to.

Just as an aside, I still maintain that if they needed to do a twist with the villains, then making Maya Hansen the true mastermind would have not only been more interesting, but made more logical sense overall.

And, to give Shane Black some credit, that apparently originally was his intent before a higher-up at Marvel coughIkePerlmuttercough vetoed the idea for stupid reasons.
I wanted Madame Masque. If it turned out that way, IMHO would've been awesome.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #228
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I tend to flip flop about which one I like better. It was IM2 but after a recent re-watch of both I found I enjoyed IM3 more.
The thing about IM2 that's interesting though is that what came after it made the movie better, and make more sense. It moved the overall MCU narrative in a way that IM 3 just didn't.

In fact, IM3 just sort of fell off the face of the planet until a mention in CW about Tony blowing his suits up. Even then we don't really see how the events tie in.

The key films to follow the narrative are IM1-2, Thor 1, Cap1-3, Avengers 1, Ant-man, Dr. S, and GotG.

That's not to say the others are bad but they don't contribute anything that isn't explained elsewhere. Even the explanation of the stones were in both GotG and AoU.

Old Today, 02:28 AM   #229
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Age of Ultron follows Tony's paranoia and desire to get rid of suits of armor directly from IM3 though.

First Avenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #230
NHawk19
insert witty comment

^ Not really because he's right back in the suit at the beginning of the movie when they take the Hydra base. You can pretty muck skip IM3 and not miss anything because Tony's control issues can be pretty much traced back to Avengers.

There's no real PTSD revelations until CW when he gets confronted about Sokovia at the elevator.

Old Today, 12:01 PM   #231
Loki882
Side-Kick

I never interpreted the ending of IM3 as meaning Tony was retiring for good (and I was puzzled that so many other people did honestly). I interpreted it as him realizing that he didn't always need the suits to be a hero. They're just a tool, he's the important part. Going by that, his wanting to create Ultron, and his motives for doing so, fit in with his arc in IM3 nicely. And I think that that's the take that Whedon went with.

But then CW rolls around and The Russo's seemed to take the stance that he WAS really retiring for good at the end of IM3 (which is the explanation for Pepper leaving him), which messes that all up.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #232
NHawk19
insert witty comment

^ I actually agree. I didn't think he was walking away entirely but that he was trying to bring his paranoia and need to control everything back in check. This goes counter to his actions in AoU which show his need to control world peace by creating Ultron.

Also I think your first interpretation is further hinted at in the SM H trailers where he mentions something to Pete about needing the suit indicating he's not a real hero.