The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 AM   #251
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
Jessica Jones is still the worst thing to ever come out of the MCU.
For me that honor belongs to the first half a season of Marvel's Agent's Of Shield.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #252
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
You know, its funny, I'm seeing a lot of people not just from here but from lots of other comments sections on other sites and stuff saying they preferred this to Luke Cage. I had no idea the fans disliked that series so much.
What can I say, LC wasn't a well made show. Yes, it had style, but style doesn't save a show when there's just no interesting plot. IF is almost the opposite of that. Interesting plots that thematically fit well together, but not enough style for some people here, it seems.

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #253
Rowsdower!
Mr. Suede

I liked LC and JJ a lot. They had their missteps, as did DD season 2 (mostly the Hand stuff). But I enjoyed them. I'm only about 2.5 episodes into this show and I don't think it's bad; it's not as engaging for me as the other ones but I'm enjoying it so far. I like Danny, even though he's prone to some dumb decisions. But I think that's part of his charm; he's supposed to be naive about certain things. Really, all of the actors so far have done well.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #254
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

A lot of the 80's American kung fu/fighting flicks used Carpenter influenced synth scores and I got and appreciated its use in this series.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #255
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Yup; cant beat a little 80's synth/80's inspired synth. Even better when its what I call 'dirty synth' - when its really low and bass-ey.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #256
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

I definitely like the synth. By far my favorite music so far, especially the theme.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #257
Rowsdower!
Mr. Suede

The theme is pretty cool, but nothing tops the Daredevil theme or credit sequence, IMO. That thing is a work of art.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #258
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

I like the Daredevil theme, but the credits just never worked for me. They are great, they just don't appeal to me.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #259
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
For myself, I thought LC was a slog, and the villain issue is well worn territory by now. After IF though, in hindsight, Fist made me appreciate LC more and see all that they did right. Cage was a modern day Blaxploitation gloss and it did that well. IF should have been, for me anyway, THE Kung Fu super hero show aping all the classic tropes only, again, modernized. Cage has elements that brought to mind the classics from the genre it was inspired by right down to the show's music, intro, performances, interstitial, it all evokes that vibe those films had. Can anyone remember the sound of IF? It was a generic riff on the STRANGER THINGS music... Which makes no sense.
Definitely agreed. All the other shows solidly embraced a particular style and genre. This one didn't, and it really stands out.

. . . in fact, it just occurred to me. You know what they should have used as the intro sequence? The battle with Shou Lao the Undying. It would have let them show Danny fighting and beating a dragon, in a way that wouldn't break the budget.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #260
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If anyone is interested my Iron Fist Spoiler Review Discussion is up.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...+Wrightson.mp3

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #261
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Definitely agreed. All the other shows solidly embraced a particular style and genre. This one didn't, and it really stands out.

. . . in fact, it just occurred to me. You know what they should have used as the intro sequence? The battle with Shou Lao the Undying. It would have let them show Danny fighting and beating a dragon, in a way that wouldn't break the budget.

That's genius. And so obvious that I cant believe that no one has come up with that idea before (maybe its one of those things that is absolutely obvious, but only after someone else suggests it).

Yeah, why didn't they do that - makes so much sense on so many levels.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #262
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

So many simple things this show could have done in retrospect it's sad. So strange for a Marvel property. It's obvious Feige and his part of the machine has nothing to do with this side.

Twitter- @mrpink13

Last edited by marcvader; 03-24-2017 at 10:27 AM.
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #263
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Nail on head. Feige and co. have fought the good fight in showing that you can feature some of the more outlandish aspects of the source material [if you do it right] but Buck et al is clearly not in that camp, or even of the same way of thinking; almost harkens back to the dark ages attitude of adapting silly kids comics

Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #264
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Nail on head. Feige and co. have fought the good fight in showing that you can feature some of the more outlandish aspects of the source material [if you do it right] but Buck et al is clearly not in that camp, or even of the same way of thinking; almost harkens back to the dark ages attitude of adapting silly kids comics
...and they've been hit or miss with this as a whole. The Thor movies are ****ing train wrecks. The only real success they've had with this is Guardians.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #265
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

While I think ANY show makes some missteps and could be better, I honestly don't get all the negatives I'm reading about it. I understand that DD, JJ, and LC all have a very different texture and feeling than does IF, but that's more of a stylistic choice than good or bad. Not all of the Netflix shows need to have a similar look and feel; in fact, I don't want them to. I kind of like the fact that this is different from its predecessors.

To the show itself....

I actually really liked the first two shows. I'm only at the end of the fifth episode and, clearly, 3-5 have slowed somewhat, but they appear to be setting up the bigger confrontation and I'm okay with that. I'll definitely binge the rest of the way through if possible today (off work) and see what I think.

My only real complaints are that the cinematography could work a little better sometimes. It's not "bad", but something seems to be missing sometimes. I think it's probably harder to do an exceptional job when shooting a "crispy clean" look than it is when you are doing a DD/JJ/LC darker look because everything stands out and is more visible, but I don't do camera work so that may be an idiotic comment on my part.

The other thing I noticed is that the fight scenes seem to be really uneven. Some of them are quite good, but some of them are way too slow and seem overly rehearsed. To me, looks like the work of 2 different people, but I'm guessing that's wrong.

Hey, I was more than willing to excuse the not-so-good fight scenes in TDK and am willing to do the same for IF and, NO, I'm not putting them in the same class of production; I'm just okay with some flaws along those lines.

EDIT: LOL...Hey, I just thought....maybe WB is paying off those critics over at RT again to trash Marvel shows and the people who are trashing IF are on the WB payroll.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 03-24-2017 at 12:26 PM.
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #266
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
...and they've been hit or miss with this as a whole. The Thor movies are ****ing train wrecks. The only real success they've had with this is Guardians.
You can certainly believe that the Thor movies are train wrecks, but I think the general consensus is that they are on the lower end of Marvel productions, but fairly good movies (Well, maybe less so with TDW). While I liked SS>BvS>MoS (I've got it backwards according to most people), I think THOSE movies are generally considered more "trainwrecky" than the Thor movies.

To say that the only real success Marvel has had is with GotG is, IMO, just silly.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 03-24-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #267
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Shock Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
But at least they've tried.

K'un Lun.
Shou-Lou.
IF Costume.
Zhou Cheng.

Can the same be said of Buck?

Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #268
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Quote:

K'un Lun.
Shou-Lou.
IF Costume.
Zhou Cheng.

I want more of all of the above in Season 2 and I want them done right. Also, give Colleen orange highlights in her hair and give Davos his Steel Serpent costume while offering more practice time for fights.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #269
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
You can certainly believe that the Thor movies are train wrecks, but I think the general consensus is that they are on the lower end of Marvel productions, but fairly good movies (Well, maybe less so with TDW). While I liked SS>BvS>MoS (I've got it backwards according to most people), I think THOSE movies are generally considered more "trainwrecky" than the Thor movies.

To say that the only real success Marvel has had is with GotG is, IMO, just silly.
The only real success they have had showing the more fantastical elements is Guardians. I stand by that. Man of Steel and the Ultimate Cut of BVS are better than both of the Thor films, but I would rather not go down that rabit hole. Please keep the DC movies out of this. Any discussion there will derail this thread.

Quote:

K'un Lun.
Shou-Lou.
IF Costume.
Zhou Cheng.

Buck doesn't get the material. That is not is up for debate, but trying to turn this into a film versus TV thing is ridiculous because it's not like the films have been that successful at this element of the material either. Shou-Lou and K'un Lun are restricted by budgetary restraints. Would you rather it be there and look like ****?

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

Last edited by Joe Von Zombie; 03-24-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #270
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
The only real success they have had showing the more fantastical elements is Guardians. I stand by that.
Guardians is inherently as far as they can go given the set-up and setting, but Dr Strange (even if it was another "scientific" approach) is pretty damn fantastical relative to everything else. They just didn't get to capitalize on the visuals with as trippy characters and story. Legion did

Iron Fist has only alluded and shown off the magic of his fist occasionally.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #271
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
Guardians is inherently as far as they can go given the set-up and setting, but Dr Strange (even if it was another "scientific" approach) is pretty damn fantastical relative to everything else. They just didn't get to capitalize on the visuals with as trippy characters and story. Legion did

Iron Fist has only alluded and shown off the magic of his fist occasionally.
I'll be honest, I forgot the Dr Strange movie was even a thing and I own it.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #272
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
I'll be honest, I forgot the Dr Strange movie was even a thing and I own it.
lol, that happens every now and again.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #273
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
The only real success they have had showing the more fantastical elements is Guardians. I stand by that. Man of Steel and the Ultimate Cut of BVS are better than both of the Thor films, but I would rather not go down that rabit hole. Please keep the DC movies out of this. Any discussion there will derail this thread.

Buck doesn't get the material. That is not is up for debate, but trying to turn this into a film versus TV thing is ridiculous because it's not like the films have been that successful at this element of the material either. Shou-Lou and K'un Lun are restricted by budgetary restraints. Would you rather it be there and look like ****?
I don't think anybody minds that you briefly brought up Trainwreck Thor or GotG in this thread. If those kinds of brief comments "derail" threads, then every thread on SHH has been derailed.

There were some "fantastical" elements in AM also, but, on the whole, most MCU characters (to this point), don't lend themselves well to the "fantastical". IMO, the first Thor did well in that regard for the time it took place in Asgard/Rainbow bridge or off earth, but ultimately that wasn't what the movie was about. Those are writer/director decisions.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #274
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Please let this not turn into another idiotic "Anything magical that doesn't cause scientists to shove ice picks in their ears is not magic" spiel. The MCU has plenty of magic and fantastical elements in it. Arguing otherwise is literal nonsense.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #275
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Please let this not turn into another idiotic "Anything magical that doesn't cause scientists to shove ice picks in their ears is not magic" spiel. The MCU has plenty of magic and fantastical elements in it. Arguing otherwise is literal nonsense.
I'd say that with Thor and GotG it's the most obvious. There were certainly elements in AoU (Wanda) and AM (The Incredible Shrinking Man), but, by and large, CA, IM, and Hulk didn't have a lot of that.....and that's okay.

Sometimes I don't even know what "fantastical" is and think it might mean different things to different people.

I loved the part of Thor (first one) when he was explaining magic and science to Jane. One of my favorite Marvel moments.

www.cloudvistas.com