The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Default How accurate are the character portrayals compared to their comic book counterparts?

Is it pretty straight forward considering they adapted a comic book into a series with a very serious/gritty tone?

What about small things like is Luke as strong like in the comics or is MM's lack of red hair annoying?

For sure, Iron Fist is nothing like in the comics from what I keep hearing.

so what say you?

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Default Re: How accurate are the character portrayals compared to their comic book counterpar

*bump*

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
McSir
Side-Kick

Default Re: How accurate are the character portrayals compared to their comic book counterpar

Looks wise, Krysten Ritter is the only one that doesn't look like her comic counter part, but since she has such a distinctive look I wouldn't be surprised if artists start drawing Jessica to look more like the actress. Iron Fist doesn't typically have a beard and Matt's hair is a little more red, but other than that the guys are pretty close to how they look in the comics.

In terms of character, Daredevil and Luke are pretty spot on. Danny is a lot more charming and carefree in the books, I've rarely seen him brood like Finn Jones does. Jessica I can't really speak to, there's not really enough content in comparison.

They're all much more powerful in the books, but that's because you can get away with more on the page than you can with low-budget TV. Luke can easily lift several tons and Jessica can fly, not just super-jump.

McSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSir View Post
Looks wise, Krysten Ritter is the only one that doesn't look like her comic counter part, but since she has such a distinctive look I wouldn't be surprised if artists start drawing Jessica to look more like the actress. Iron Fist doesn't typically have a beard and Matt's hair is a little more red, but other than that the guys are pretty close to how they look in the comics.

In terms of character, Daredevil and Luke are pretty spot on. Danny is a lot more charming and carefree in the books, I've rarely seen him brood like Finn Jones does. Jessica I can't really speak to, there's not really enough content in comparison.

They're all much more powerful in the books, but that's because you can get away with more on the page than you can with low-budget TV. Luke can easily lift several tons and Jessica can fly, not just super-jump.
I never read the jessica jones comics, but her personality on the show is just so awesome lol...That scene at Midland when she see's elektra and says we gotta get outta here and then turns around and sees more Hand goons, she said something like "uh ohhhh" lol It was cute and bada** at the same time. Almost reminded me of the ninja turles lol.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
SwiftFox
Side-Kick

Jessica can only super jump in the comics currently as well. She forgot how to fly and can't do it it anymore.

SwiftFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Danny, in the comics, isn't an incredibly dumb child. In that, the show is far from accurate. *cough*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Danny, in the comics, isn't an incredibly dumb child. In that, the show is far from accurate. *cough*
can you elaborate? Cause the show made him go from brooding to moron on a constant basis. Hard to believe anyone could watch his show and root for him.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
Verick808
Side-Kick

IF broods all the time. Especially in his earlier days when he first returned from Kun'lun. He was smarter and better trained through. At the same time Harold Meachum was like a one issue villain from when IF just returned to NY so its hard to compare a new fledged IF with the one from the comics. The character was improved in Defenders and can easily be written more mature by the time his own season comes around.
The biggest changes to IF's character is his background. His father fell to his death amd hia mother was eaten by wolves after Meachum betrayed them. Danny witnessed the betrayal and swore revenge. He uswd his own anger to push himself above all the other practitioners. Also, when he did become the IF there was no duty to protect citus gates. He was allowed to leave. He then returned to NY to kill Meachum but found him as an old pathetic man. Ultimately he let Meachum live just like in the show and ultimately someone else ended up killing him. Also like the show, but not Ward because he doesn't exist in the comics. Just Joy. Who ends up taking over as CEO. A forgivable change since Ward was a great character.

Daredevil is mostly in character minus the red hair. Maybe a little broodier but like all comicbook characters the tone has varied over the years.
Luke seems pretty accurate for the most part. Its weird for him to be coupled with someone other than JJ but it is hard seeing these versions together after what they pulled the first season of JJ.

Batman V Superman - 6( EC- 7)
Suicide Squad 4.5
Verick808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 AM   #9
LaughterLives
Banned User

I think Luke Cage is the only one who is the least accurate. Luke on the show is just corny A.F.! And he has zero swagger. They just chose the wrong actor to play him judging on what I've seen.

I'd say Iron Fist isn't that accurate either but his character on the show is also still growing so it's going in the right direction from what I know. I actually enjoy his character the most on the show but I wish he was more quick witted.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'd say Matt and Jessica seem to be the most accurate to their comic counterparts.

Luke Cage's backstory was completely changed. In the show they had him come from a well-to-do family. He wasn't fatherless or a small-time hoodlum or gangster. Well educated and probably went to college. Served in the military AND he was a police officer as well.

With Danny, I feel like they failed in focusing his rage and need for revenge. That was his main motivation for leaving K'un L'un and going back to New York.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #11
KevTravels
Side-Kick

the writers seemed to go out of their way to make Luke as upstanding as possible. Which ruined any conflict with Diamondback. Luke was cookie-cutter good guy. At least say he was a hoodlum who found peace when he served in the armed forces or something.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
the writers seemed to go out of their way to make Luke as upstanding as possible. Which ruined any conflict with Diamondback. Luke was cookie-cutter good guy. At least say he was a hoodlum who found peace when he served in the armed forces or something.
He found peace in jail. That counselor pushed him toward that cookie-cutter good guy persona.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer

Last edited by 2kt09; 08-31-2017 at 07:38 PM.
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
Not sure I would use the term "cookie-cutter". The original version of Luke Cage from the comics is pretty dated and frankly a bit racist. I'm glad they updated him.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
WolfCypher

Agreed. I've only recently started to like Luke, because for too long, he was just a modern-day blaxploitation sterotype. This Luke I can get behind as a character (wasn't a fan of his show).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm
GodDAMN these electric sex pants.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Another thing is, until VERY recently, Iron Fist was pretty much a cypher. There was never anything really unique about his personality. He was just "average white guy" who knew martial arts. Though I wasn't a fan of his portrayal in the show, there wasn't much to go off of in the comics. He was a blank slate

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote