The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Old 12-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #51
psylockolussus
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Netflix ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Is Least-Viewed Among Marvel Street-Hero S

Okay.. That's Blackman's saying of dismissing opinions that differs from him.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #52
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Default Re: Netflix ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Is Least-Viewed Among Marvel Street-Hero S

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
that's fine but that's not putting up a counterargument. like, at all.

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #53
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
No not at all. You don't know what you're talking about. What is wrong with you? Just stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
that's fine but that's not putting up a counterargument. like, at all.
I don't have any counter argument. You didn't say anything I disagree with. I'm not sure why I was even quoted in your post. Nothing of what you said had much to do with what I said.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #54
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
No not at all. You don't know what you're talking about. What is wrong with you? Just stop

I don't have any counter argument. You didn't say anything I disagree with. I'm not sure why I was even quoted in your post. Nothing of what you said had much to do with what I said.
I see, I noticed your comment about how most of the shows haven't had a second season, and I was comparing that to the movies where in phase 1, only iron man had a sequel but that didn't affect the success of the franchise.

so although television and film isn't totally comparable, i don't think the amount of the individual shows prior to the team up had to do with its lower than expected success

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 12-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #55
Blackman
C'mon Son

Default Re: Netflix ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Is Least-Viewed Among Marvel Street-Hero Serie

I wasn't saying they didn't have a second season as a knock. I just said it to emphasize the point that it's kinda silly to bring up a "peak" this early in the game, when it's only been 2 years since. the beginning and most of them haven't even gotten their 2nd season.

Which is why I said "It's only been 2 years. Most of these shows haven't even gotten their second seasons yet."

Last edited by Blackman; 12-24-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #56
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
I wasn't saying they didn't have a second season as a knock I just meant it as a point that it's kinda silly to bring up a "peak" this early in the game, when it's only been 2 years sinc the beginning and most of them haven't even gotten their 2nd season.

Which is why I said "It's only been 2 years. Most of these shows haven't even gotten their second seasons yet."
Yeah, I do not think Netflix MCU has reached its full potential. Daredevil season 3 can and will be another hit, same with Luke Cage & Jessica Jones (I hope) but I don't care at all what they do with Iron Fist. I think it's also been renewed for a season 2

then again, I heard there was some drama going on with Netflix & Disney

Indeed
Quote:
Haha
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #57
Morbo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
Defenders' sins were dragging out a pretty nonsensical plot as much as it was carried over from Iron Fist and DD s2
+ the action wasn't as good as what came before.
What "nonsensical" plot were you watching?

The action is not really the point though. It does not need to be Civil War style battles every single time.

Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #58
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I mean The Hand's plan made no sense. They just wanted more fossils to make elixir to return to K'un L'un.

And yet Elektra already returned there before the entrance was shut and apparently killed everyone there...

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #59
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I mean The Hand's plan made no sense. They just wanted more fossils to make elixir to return to K'un L'un.

And yet Elektra already returned there before the entrance was shut and apparently killed everyone there...
They don't need the "elixir" to return to Kun Lun, they want to return so they can further exploit the dragons there to further develop their immortality. The elixir is just for immortality and spend much of their resources finding ancient dragons. But for a better source they need to return to Kun Lun so they constantly attack the entrance to Kun Lun when it's available (thus the need for an Iron Fist). At the end of IF season one the City has vanished(entrance is closed) and there were bodies of Hand ninjas. The fate of the inhabitants is unknown and Rand fears the worst, a point which Elektra uses to manipulate Danny. Can't really take her at her word.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #60
Morbo
Banned User

Default Re: Netflix ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Is Least-Viewed Among Marvel Street-Hero Serie

I think another key point here is that the members of The Hand all had their own motivations and ideas of how to go about achieving their goals which led to the infighting in the leadership. I don't really think their plan was that complicated and didn't really require anything crazy to understand it. The only thing that complicated matters was the fact that The Hand leadership could never fully trust each other for obvious reasons.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #61
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
They don't need the "elixir" to return to Kun Lun, they want to return so they can further exploit the dragons there to further develop their immortality. The elixir is just for immortality and spend much of their resources finding ancient dragons. But for a better source they need to return to Kun Lun so they constantly attack the entrance to Kun Lun when it's available (thus the need for an Iron Fist). At the end of IF season one the City has vanished(entrance is closed) and there were bodies of Hand ninjas. The fate of the inhabitants is unknown and Rand fears the worst, a point which Elektra uses to manipulate Danny. Can't really take her at her word.
That's not what happened. Madame Gao says they were trying to live long enough to return home. And she told that to her comrades.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 06-19-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #62
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
That's not what happened. Madame Gao says they were trying to live long enough to return home. And she told that to her comrades.
As Morbo said each member had their own motivation. When Gao said that, it was in context of their differing motivations for wanting longer life. Gao just wanted to go home, a place she is not welcomed to as a member of the Hand and would not be able to continue her methods of immortality, unless she lives long enough to see that Hand secure the city. Alexandria wanted to fulfill the prophecy of the Black Sky. But their collective goal is to never die, that's why they've been searching the planet for any remains of the dragons since their essence is the key to that collective goal. Plus they've already lived hundreds if not, thousands of years. If "living long enough" is the only thing holding them back than how much longer would they have to live? Dragon remains were the key to immortally not the key to Kun Lun

Really the only thing keeping them from going back to Kun Lun is an unpredictably limited window of opportunity, in a difficult to navigate terrain, with terrible weather conditions, that leads into a bottle neck, where the other side has an army of warrior monks willing to kill and die to defend it, one of whom may have super powers. And Iron Fist season one demonstrates that they have been and are still trying to secure the city. Whether or not they succeeded by what we saw in IF finale is left intentionally vague.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #63
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Sounds like weak storytelling and writing to me.

- CM Punk
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #64
Morbo
Banned User

Actually sounds like good story telling that was hindered by the fact that only 8 episodes were ordered to me.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #65
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

They'd known how many episodes they were going to have for years. They should've planned things out better.

- CM Punk
Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #66
Blackman
C'mon Son

And those 8 episodes they didn't even know how to handle. 8 episodes and the pacing was still stupidly slow.

I agree with VileOne. They should've planned out better. Almost every show after DDS1 has had the criticism of pacing.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #67
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Agreed. Once DDS1 was a hit in spring 2015, they should have prepared things. Ensured a larger budget was available with top-notch writing.

The Defenders could have been 6 episodes or 10 episodes. But it should have been PERFECT. It left so much to be desired.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #68
Morbo
Banned User

They had a lot of material to cover in The Defenders. There is 100% no way 8 episodes was ever going to cut it no matter how much time they were given in advance of knowing it was going to be 8 episodes. 8 episodes simply was never going to be perfect for something of this magnitude. EVER.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #69
Blackman
C'mon Son

If you can't tell a simple story like The Defenders in 8 hours then I don't know what to tell you. Really eight 1 hour long episodes isn't enough to tell this story?

There wasn't even a lot to cover
-What Matt, Luke, Jessica, and Danny have been up to between the latest seasons of the show
-Whos the villain
-Have the team meet up and eventually defeat the villain

It doesn't take more than 8 hours to do that. If it was a film it wouldn't take more than 2.5 hours. See The Avengers

Old 06-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #70
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you can't tell a simple story like The Defenders in 8 hours then I don't know what to tell you. Really eight 1 hour long episodes isn't enough to tell this story?

There wasn't even a lot to cover
-What Matt, Luke, Jessica, and Danny have been up to between the latest seasons of the show
-Whos the villain
-Have the team meet up and eventually defeat the villain

It doesn't take more than 8 hours to do that. If it was a film it wouldn't take more than 2.5 hours. See The Avengers
A great point. They needed a better villain than the overdone and dull-The Hand.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #71
Morbo
Banned User

Pathetic excuses. Just because you particularly dislike The Hand does not immediately make all of your points valid.

If you honestly don't have any more questions after The Defenders finale, then I don't know what to tell you other than you obviously were too busy whining and complaining instead of watching. The fact that there are still unanswered questions proves they had a lot to cover.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #72
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Pathetic excuses. Just because you particularly dislike The Hand does not immediately make all of your points valid.

If you honestly don't have any more questions after The Defenders finale, then I don't know what to tell you other than you obviously were too busy whining and complaining instead of watching. The fact that there are still unanswered questions proves they had a lot to cover.
That they could've answered any question in multiple seasons instead of just one. Still doesn'tt negate the fact they could've told a perfectly fine, full story in 8 hours.

And The Hand aren't that deep of villains. They're not. And I don't mean that as an insult, Im just saying the facts. You don't need hours and hours to explain them. Ancient secret society of evil. There. That's them.

And didn't have any questions about the Hand because there's not much to them. Nor were they made any interesting except for DDs2 imo.

Defenders isn't a deep concept either. You can tell a proper story in 8 hours

And maybe don't condescend just because someone doesn't agree with you. It's childish and makes it seem like you know you're incorrect but don't know how to admit it.

EDIT: And they've known they were going to use the hand for how long? The teased them in DDs1 (The whole Stick episode, Gao, Nobu) and had them as the main bad guys in IFs1 and DDs2. That's even more time they could've used to explain it if they wanted to get deep with it

Last edited by Blackman; 06-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #73
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post

I wouldn't say it's pathetic at all. Makes a lot of sense.

- CM Punk
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #74
eon001
Side-Kick

I feel they rushed it out. They shouldn't have made it so close to Iron Fist. Instead they should have focused there resources on making one great show in Iron Fist instead of spreading themselves thin over Iron Fist AND Defenders.

Loeb really tried too hard to be tv Kevin Feige with Defenders and Inhumans. Stay in your lane and focus on the low budget street level stuff.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #75
Blackman
C'mon Son

I mean we've given a lot of excuses but the simple answer is this: they didn't have the right talent

-The right talent would've known how to pace the series and not wait almost 4 out of 8 hours to have all the Defenders have a real convo
-The right talent would know that they had plenty of time to plan this. They knew since 2013 that they wanted do this team up.
-The right talent would've known how to use the money. There's no reason why one of the solos (Daredevil) has better action, acting, cinematography and music cues than the team up movie when the solo series was made for the same amount of money or less
-The right talent would've known to write a compelling story with compelling villains. And would've known the add some element of fun to it

That's what it comes down to. They just needed better talent. They had somewhat of a fast break with The Defenders. They just dropped the ball. Not in a huge way. It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't successful